Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I ran over eight or nine motherfuckers in a single round of PUBG.

https://i.imgur.com/3UeSFph.gifv

I hadn't played in like a month and managed to get three kills and place in the top 25.

Feels good. Now to wait for Subnautica to install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Vasudus got me looking at curved monitors. I've always been a fan of LG. I think it's time to replace the circa 2009 42" 1080p TV I'm using as a monitor. It's starting to bleed colors on the edges. Any curved recommendations? Personal experiences?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electroni...words=LG+34UC97

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JKT894

This is what I bought, and I'm really happy with it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks man. I like LG a lot but every buyer's guide out there yells at me to get something with g-synch.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Thanks man. I like LG a lot but every buyer's guide out there yells at me to get something with g-synch.

G-sync is neat, if you have a grand to spend on a monitor, get one with G-sync. I didn't have a grand to spend, hell even this is pretty much beyond my upper limit for monitor spending, the only reason I did it was because I quit my old job and took the PTO check and spent it on this, and paying down one of my credit cards. One day I'll be able to afford a G-sync monitor, but at that time I'll have also wiped out my credit card debt and paid off my car first.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
gently caress you guys, thanks to your babble I just bought most of the Stellaris DLC even though I’ve never played the game.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
get a gsync monitor or die trying

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What exactly is g sync? Without all the marketing garbage if you don't mind. I can't get a solid answer.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

not caring here posted:

What exactly is g sync? Without all the marketing garbage if you don't mind. I can't get a solid answer.

It's an Nvidia proprietary version of Freesync (part of the displayport spec) that costs more because the monitor itself needs memory and hardware in it. Also smaller market.

It makes things smoother by refreshing the monitor when a frame is ready essentially locking the refresh to the cards capability.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 17, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pn43_dkj5E

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Way back screens used interlacing. They’d print the even rows one after another, then the odd rows. Eventually you could do it progressive, where it was fast enough to print every row sequentially fast enough that a viewer can’t tell. The refresh rate was a physical synchronization of how fast the electron beam could get start to finish and back again.l, and the video data had to be lock step with that. Now with modern backlit screens you can refresh the whole screen in milliseconds, and the video format is just a continuous data of what colors need to go where. Sadly that causes screen “tearing” when the sequential video stream gets out of sync with where the monitor wants to be in it’s sequence, making it jump to another region and skipping all its actions in between. Freesync means that the gpu is still outputting the sequential video data, but it adds code to direct the monitor, which is deserializing the video stream but now gets a cue as to when to start the refresh cycle to print the frame just as the gpu outputs it from its internal frame buffer. Because it’s no longer tied to an electron beam it can have have jitter in the timings, since it’s varrying the period rather than the frequency.

So: It makes smoother screen motion by only refreshing the whole thing in one swap once the whole frame is ready.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 17, 2018

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I thought everything was official until I saw the Stalin portrait. It went downhill from there.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

not caring here posted:

all the nerd answers are bad. gsync eliminates that weird stuttering/screen tearing. doesn't sound like a big deal until you see it in action. it's pretty great and if you already have a relatively modern gpu probably one of the better upgrade choices.

freesync is the competing standard to nvidia's proprietary solution, and the best functionality (adaptive refresh rate) won't work between the two. so if you're an android/amd person, get a freesync monitor and a fire extinguisher. if you're a normal person buy an nvidia gpu and a gsync monitor.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I jumped forward and immediately saw the fidget spinner weapon :laffo:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
FYI Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is under 10 dollars on the Steam sale right now. It's a very very good RPG.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

FYI Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is under 10 dollars on the Steam sale right now. It's a very very good RPG.

Yeah, this game owns.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
its like the only action rpg thing I've played where there is a difference on if you make your pc like super tall or a dwarf

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I bought and installed Subnautica but am too afraid to open it :ohdear:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

its pretty good but with some questionable decisions (hint there are islands within like a few hundred meters from where you start) and the engine kinda chugs even on a decent experience

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ah gently caress, that's the game I couldn't figure out I was looking for.

Are there any decent deals anywhere, or is the 22,99 Steam price fine?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Ah gently caress, that's the game I couldn't figure out I was looking for.

Are there any decent deals anywhere, or is the 22,99 Steam price fine?

I just finished playing through Subnautica yesterday and got a solid 20 hours out of it. You could easily extend it out to another 30-40 if you're interested in making pretty bases and not utilitarian poo poo-shacks. $23 is a great price.

It's a really great game and rewarding all the way through with lots of cool vehicles and tools and unique environments to go through. The story pacing is a little weird since it's controlled by random radio messages and finding data logs, so if you're floundering a bit I think it's ok to look up a progression guide.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I just finished playing through Subnautica yesterday and got a solid 20 hours out of it. You could easily extend it out to another 30-40 if you're interested in making pretty bases and not utilitarian poo poo-shacks. $23 is a great price.

It's a really great game and rewarding all the way through with lots of cool vehicles and tools and unique environments to go through. The story pacing is a little weird since it's controlled by random radio messages and finding data logs, so if you're floundering a bit I think it's ok to look up a progression guide.

That...that doesn't seem a lot. That actually seems underwhelmingly little. I had the impression it was supposed to be something like an underwater version of Minecraft with some story and a scary atmosphere.

I mean, I'm not judging it on the Stardew scale, where I must have sunk in 100 hours for a price of :tenbux: by now, but 20 hours seems a little off.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Recommend me a good mobile game please. Just something to sink a few hours into when I'm on planes or whatever

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Recommend me a good mobile game please. Just something to sink a few hours into when I'm on planes or whatever

Aside from the usual bejeweled and candy crush suspects? Space simulator, Monument Valley, a bunch of final fantasy games. I mostly put books and crossword puzzles on my phone to kill time.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Ah, gently caress it, downloading Subnautica. Still have 89 bucks of "blow on dumb fun stuff" income this month, and I haven't even touched my going out funds due to being a lazy bum.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

get the final fantasy one

no not that one the other one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That...that doesn't seem a lot. That actually seems underwhelmingly little. I had the impression it was supposed to be something like an underwater version of Minecraft with some story and a scary atmosphere.

I mean, I'm not judging it on the Stardew scale, where I must have sunk in 100 hours for a price of :tenbux: by now, but 20 hours seems a little off.

It's not at all like Minecraft. It's an adventure game first and foremost, not a random sandbox with some story elements. I don't think 20 hours is at all underwhelming for a game of that type.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 17, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It's a ton of fun, bought it last night and I put like five hours into it already. I did spoil one minor thing for myself but everything else has been great.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Is Divinity II any good? I see it pop up every time I open gog to play The Witcher.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Shockules plays the gently caress out of it

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I really liked the first one, and apparently the 2nd one added a TON of more poo poo, in a good way

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Dude McAwesome posted:

Is Divinity II any good? I see it pop up every time I open gog to play The Witcher.

It is very well done. It is good solo and with friends. Three of my friends and I have been doing a blind play through together and it has been a blast.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dude McAwesome posted:

DoS II is good. There is generally 4+ ways to get things done and often they are very much poo poo you would have to search for.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dude McAwesome posted:

Yes. The story is pretty good and the choices you get to make matter.

Some fights are tough as balls until you figure out the tricks.

I never finished it though since I keep restarting to learn the story of certain characters and got burnt out.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Thanks for the info dudes. I’ll grab it next time I’m on gog.

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
System Shock 1 Remake goes on "hiatus".

https://www.pcgamer.com/system-shock-reboot-put-on-hiatus-as-developers-reassess-our-path/

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Don't know if you all watch nerd3 but you oughta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kpEwgkGgMo

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I figured I'd sneak in a peak at Subnautica, and five minutes later, six hours have apparently passed.
This is cool as hell, and all purdy-like.

Upgraded a bunch of my poo poo, took me forever to figure some things out, like brain corals replenishing oxygen. My loving word, was I ever so dense. I was on the verge of saying "okay, this is tedious as all gently caress", but realized I must have missed something, and I did indeed.

The seaglider was another game-changer, found a bunch of poo poo that was really intriguing, but it started to be out of reach from my life pod even with the glider, so I figured it's time to settle down. So I built my first habitat on a cliff of the starting area overlooking a massive canyon mouth filled with red grass. Looks beautiful as gently caress to stare out my glass compartments and watch those giant floaties drift by.

Then I found a cave...

a deep cave.

And for the first time since that time I played Half-Life 2 and got scared of heights when I traversed the girder bridge over the canyon...I got scared.

Like, not jump-scare in a 3d shooter scared, actual discomfort crept-out like gently caress scared to the point where I slowly moonwalked out that cave, saved and quit. :yikes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I finally got the stuff I start building a base and well... :spergin:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5MfGJG_ndA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005