Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Do BLMs benefit from Spell Speed? Or does it only affect instant spells like the ones that make up most of Summoners’ arsenals?

Meld as much spell speed as you physically can for BLM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There are testers who say skspeed is the top for monk, because overcoming RoF is big and it affects aa and dots which is like 30+% of their dps anyways. And obviously making sure Demolish never falls off.

But my heart says it's definitely crit and they're insane.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Speed has a couple drawbacks. It's tiered, meaning that improvements might not actually have any effect until you hit the next tier. The other stats might be like that too, so this might not be comparison worthy.

The effects are less of an improvement than others (in optimal play.) You might get an extra cast every 50 GCDs, but that same budget of crit might offer more than 2% damage increase.

GCD clipping (in optimal play) matters. Some jobs need to weave multiple oGCDs in between attacks, and if your speed is too high, the oGCDs will delay your GCD again, negating some of the benefit. Try pushing a full 3-mudra in a sub 2.0 GCD for example.

This is all of course coming from a mathematically optimal perspective, with minimal latency concerns, and practical play has many exceptions. If you're too laggy to do 5 cleaves in an Inner Release, get more Skill Speed until you can. That will help more than getting Crit.

It's never really bad, but from a theory standpoint the other stats can be better.

Spell speed:
A: Reduces the cast time of long cast spells (like BLM).
B: Reduces the GCD of spells (like summoner instant casts)
C: Increases DoT damage (like summoner DoTs).

Wait, Spell Speed makes DOTs hit more often while they’re up? Badass. I knew all those Quicktongues on my Shire gear were a good idea.

I also use a decent chunk of Skill Speed for my Machinist, because it makes those tight proc windows much easier to handle and lets me squeeze even more dakka into Wildfire.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 16, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, Spell Speed makes DOTs hit more often while they’re up? Badass. I knew all those Quicktongues on my Shire gear were a good idea.

I likewise had no idea it decreased GCD. Hot drat.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Saint Freak posted:

But my heart says it's definitely crit and they're insane.

Counterpoint: more skill speed brings you closer to becoming the Fist of the North Star.

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

No it doesn't. Spell Speed has a mild Determination-ish effect on each DoT tick but it does not increase the frequency of the ticks. Spell Speed is probably the worst sub-stat for Summoners because of how many oGCDs they have, you wanna go Crit/DH > Det >>>>> SpS.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Darth Walrus posted:

I also use a decent chunk of Skill Speed for my Machinist, because it makes those tight proc windows much easier to handle and lets me squeeze even more dakka into Wildfire.

Not more often, but more powerful. All DoT's, HoT's, and similar effects 'hit' every 3 seconds, server wide, regardless of player. Spell Speed increases the potency of the over time effects.

And Speed is very good when you're on the edge of getting an extra attack into things like Wildfire. But once you comfortably get that next attack in, going fast enough to go even further is probably impossible so speed is functionally wasted from that standpoint, while you still can increase the damage of each attack in that window.

ie. If your speed is 2.4, you can get 5 attacks into a 10 second window. If your speed is 2.2, you can get 5 attacks into that window. If your speed is 2.01, you can get 5 attacks in that window. I don't think you can stat high enough to fit that 6th attack in, without buffs like Arrow.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Speed has a couple drawbacks. It's tiered, meaning that improvements might not actually have any effect until you hit the next tier. The other stats might be like that too, so this might not be comparison worthy.

The effects are less of an improvement than others (in optimal play.) You might get an extra cast every 50 GCDs, but that same budget of crit might offer more than 2% damage increase.

Datamining/testing, to my knowledge, had determined that substats down to the thousandths still have an effect. You don't have to straight up hit a tier where your GCD improves to the next 0.01 for it to actually boost your speed, but since we're talking thousandths of a second it's also going to be basically impossible to notice casually. The same is supposedly true of Crit/Det. If this was discredited, then my mistake.

Or are you talking about the other tier, where there's a finite amount of time to fit in attacks and speed increases only help if they let you squeeze another whole GCD in? Because that's technically true, but the problem is most people aren't really notice sspeed's effect unless they're hitting a specific breakpoint (like being able to fit in X number of fell cleaves) and are also not going to notice when they pass other breakpoints (that allow them to get an extra attack or two in a given phase or before having to dodge an attack, for example). Especially if you're upgrading incrementally and not focusing specifically on one stat, it's going to be next to impossible to casually see the effects of one specific substat in a vacuum.

Edit: Small windows exist, but I think that's overstating the problem because by and large your "windows" are much longer than 10-15 seconds at a stretch.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Olesh posted:

Datamining/testing, to my knowledge, had determined that substats down to the thousandths still have an effect. You don't have to straight up hit a tier where your GCD improves to the next 0.01 for it to actually boost your speed, but since we're talking thousandths of a second it's also going to be basically impossible to notice casually. The same is supposedly true of Crit/Det. If this was discredited, then my mistake.

I was thinking the first part, but you might be right and there is an effect beyond the displayed tooltip tiers. I might be working off bad data.

The rest was from a mathematically optimal perspective because nothing in game will be perfect. I notice Inner Release/Wildfire/Trick Attack GCD counts and whatnot, but yeah, most people aren't going to notice the GCD count during a battle phase or or be able to consistently perform it, nor notice the difference between 100 speed vs crit.

In practice I'll get the speed to hit my personal personal windows (IR, Trick, etc) consistently and then quit, because in the long run GCDs can slide either way. I'm not going to blame missing a GCD at a phase transition due to speed, when there are too many other factors at play.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Counterpoint: more skill speed brings you closer to becoming the Fist of the North Star.

I once got an Enhanced Arrow as a monk and I felt like I was meeting God.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
the only class where i actually hate skill speed and arrow is dragoon. that rotation is built like a finely oiled machine and any variance causes me physical pain. especially before you get your first double-life out of the way.

but then again i make an effort to reduce ss on basically every class except black mage.

slowboi for life.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Ibblebibble posted:

I once got an Enhanced Arrow as a monk and I felt like I was meeting God.

Someone gave me an Enhanced Arrow as a Samurai and I became literal Himura Kenshin.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:eyepop:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well I did see an elephant fly the other day.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ironically, it's the longest DPS EX queue (I've had at this time of day, not counting prime time) in a long time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ironically, it's the longest DPS EX queue (I've had at this time of day, not counting prime time) in a long time.
I've been running into those myself. I've been levelling SMN and like, I can just tab into here and be a white noise poster, or read a book, or IM with my idiot buddies; I queue as DPS because I want to play the drat role! Also because SCH, while fun, is a healer job, and I'm doing this in part because I'm getting toasty on healing.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Spell and skill speed are actually all right and I wish people would realize that so they'd stop thinking Spear is better than Arrow.

Especially dragoons.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Barring exceedingly rare edge cases, if DPS is in need for EXDR, that means literally no one is queuing. Since you need 2 DPS for a group and only 1 of the other roles, a completely empty group shows "DPS in need".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It said I was 13th in queue immediately.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The other thing is that Adventurer in Need takes its sweet time to update, so while there may have been a moment when DPS actually were in need, as soon as that popped up officially and all the DPS went "WELP MY TIME TO SHINE" and hopped in the queue, DPS would have become very definitely not in need.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

ruta posted:

Spell and skill speed are actually all right and I wish people would realize that so they'd stop thinking Spear is better than Arrow.

Especially dragoons.

Stop ruining my buff alignment 😡

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ruta posted:

Especially dragoons.

Spear is such a minor DPS gain even on the two classes that stand to gain more from it then the others (MNK and BRD). I can’t imagine anyone wanting it so much over an arrow except for whiny baby MY ROTATION! reasons, which I mean if that keeps coming up just don’t give that person cards because if they can’t handle a minor GCD reduction then there’s no way your Balances and Spears aren’t going to waste in that void.

I once would have listed an exception for MCHs due to heat math but now after patches have robbed the class of every interesting aspect even Machinists have no drat excuse to do anything but grin and shoot faster.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wish leveling roulette would put you in the highest available dungeon accessible to all members in the party. It's frustrating getting a Sastasha when everyone outlevels it and is being scaled down.

Someone ingame told me that the roulette bonus scaled to take in account lower mob XP from being in Sastasha, so that you got the same amount of XP overall. I didn't believe them, but I thought I'd check to see if that was the case. If that was the case then I guess it's somewhat less annoying.

Asimo posted:

That's true, but only for the daily completion bonus. If you do the roulette additional times then you're just getting the mob XP, whatever it is, and you're better off just directly queuing for the highest level dungeon you have available.

vOv posted:

Yep. Also I have no clue how this interacts with things like the armory bonus and the Brand New Ring.

I was curious and checked for myself:

Yesterday evening's leveling roulette gave me Thousand Maws of Toto-rak, which awarded 239,634 XP at level 38. Today's roulette gave me Titan Normal for 246,918 XP at level 39.

I definitely gained much more XP from yesterday's run in Toto-rak, killing about I'd estimate 50-60 mobs for 3k XP a pop (200% bonus), than I got from Titan today. So the roulette bonus doesn't seem like it scales to balance out getting less XP from doing an early dungeon vs. a later dungeon. So at that point I really really would prefer to not have to run Sastasha if everyone in the party is qualified to run a higher dungeon. I don't mind if I'm helping out a newbie or someone who's using a job that's still stuck in the Sastasha level range, but when the entire party is scaled down it's just insulting (and boring).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was curious and checked for myself:

Yesterday evening's leveling roulette gave me Thousand Maws of Toto-rak, which awarded 239,634 XP at level 38. Today's roulette gave me Titan Normal for 246,918 XP at level 39.

I definitely gained much more XP from yesterday's run in Toto-rak, killing about I'd estimate 50-60 mobs for 3k XP a pop (200% bonus), than I got from Titan today. So the roulette bonus doesn't seem like it scales to balance out getting less XP from doing an early dungeon vs. a later dungeon. So at that point I really really would prefer to not have to run Sastasha if everyone in the party is qualified to run a higher dungeon. I don't mind if I'm helping out a newbie or someone who's using a job that's still stuck in the Sastasha level range, but when the entire party is scaled down it's just insulting (and boring).
I imagine it's balanced around your approximate time in the dungeon, since I expect you were in Titan Normal for about thirty seconds while you were in Totorak until the year 2031.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Got my Eorzea Symphony tickets for Sat June 16th in Hollywood. Good seats too!

asynchrony
Apr 26, 2012

blowing bubbles
I took a break after finishing Deltascape v2 Savage, as v3 seemed way too frustrating to even try with pugs.

I'm really interested in what's coming with Eureka, but curious if there's enough content at this point to go back.

For someone who is at 330~ and doesn't feel like going into the madness of later tiers of Savage, what is there to grind?
I really liked the balance of challenge and fun mechanics of Susano and Lakshmi EX. Are there new primals at this point?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

asynchrony posted:

I took a break after finishing Deltascape v2 Savage, as v3 seemed way too frustrating to even try with pugs.

I'm really interested in what's coming with Eureka, but curious if there's enough content at this point to go back.

For someone who is at 330~ and doesn't feel like going into the madness of later tiers of Savage, what is there to grind?
I really liked the balance of challenge and fun mechanics of Susano and Lakshmi EX. Are there new primals at this point?

Frankly, in your shoes I’d wait a couple months. There’s Byakko, but the next big patch will add another Ivalice 24-man and likely another primal.

asynchrony
Apr 26, 2012

blowing bubbles

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Frankly, in your shoes I’d wait a couple months. There’s Byakko, but the next big patch will add another Ivalice 24-man and likely another primal.

That'd be 4.3 right?

Is Eureka going to be released before that?
I think I read 4 to 6 weeks, between the big patches, but maybe it was just rumours.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Same match.

Ignore my rear end score, I got disconnected something like six times during that session

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

asynchrony posted:

Pugs can't even clear O7.

I know this because I just got out of a party of newbies who wiped six times. :shepicide:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know this because I just got out of a party of newbies who wiped six times. :shepicide:

I know you're talking about normal, but I can't even imagine doing O7S without voice comms. Even with them, theres always somebody ready to call out the wrong program loads. Guardian is gonna destroy more PF attempts than Halicarnassus ever did.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, I've had way worse luck with O7 than O8. Not sure why.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
O7 constantly reuses dangerous mechanics, while Kefka normal eventually reaches the final tower which does basically nothing on normal so he's just using aoe attacks that even bad groups can eventually just power through.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
7 is also a bunch of teamwork stuff like standing in each circle, or standing in sets of three, so as soon as you get a couple of people that think they don't have to do mechanics it gets impossibly clowny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kefka Normal is so easy that my literal first time doing it his air-burst blew everyone off the tower but me(healer), one tank, and a samurai and we still manage to recover without any trouble.It's not a stressful fight at all.

Meanwhile the Guardian has several mechanics which can completely gently caress the party if people don't do them and there's little you can do about it but hope people understand 'stand on the thing."

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So is POTD still the best way to level alt classes?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
If you've already run all your roulettes and your tribes and your hunts and you're not a healer or tank or summoner and don't have squadrons

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Saint Freak posted:

If you've already run all your roulettes and your tribes and your hunts and you're not a healer or tank or summoner and don't have squadrons

Squadron dungeon runs are faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

So is POTD still the best way to level alt classes?

Nope. Early on Squadrons are now. I think there's some brief period between 50-60 where PotD reemerges but then once you hit 61 it's SB dungeons or bust.