Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Cameo posted:

He ran out of ideas, and figured that's the time to stop.

Which is astounding given comic strip creators.

the only time he's really done anything comics related since is I think an Opus strip and I believe he did something for the ended-too-soon (because the creator got Parkinson's) strip Cul-de-Sac, which he basically considered the spiritual successor to C&H.

He did a few strips with the Pearls Before Swine guy a few years ago, too. I remember a lot of people going "no loving way" at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Inescapable Duck posted:

You realise your kid is going to see Calvin as a role model to emulate right

Good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rhesus Pieces posted:

why, just out of curiosity

I moved every year for 8 straight years , plus since I'm cheap (due to never having any money due to student loans) piracy was "good enough" for most everything regarding books, PC games or movies/TV shows. plus now I have no room for anything because there's kid toys everywhere

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

THREAD'S CLOGGED
there was this extremely anti soc personality dissorser kid i went to 3rd grade with who got expelled for taking turds out of the toolet and smearing them on all the door handles and walls he could before they dragged him away making GBS threads and screaming, and when i told my father i looked up to Calvin he said "that kid is basically real life calvin without fed lines, emulate hobbes, be a reasonable, if imaginary, tiger"

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NegativeCarefreeIndianelephant-mobile.mp4

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

there was this extremely anti soc personality dissorser kid i went to 3rd grade with who got expelled for taking turds out of the toolet and smearing them on all the door handles and walls he could before they dragged him away making GBS threads and screaming, and when i told my father i looked up to Calvin he said "that kid is basically real life calvin without fed lines, emulate hobbes, be a reasonable, if imaginary, tiger"

but without fed lines real life hobbes would just eat the first child it encountered before getting shot by police

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Shakenbaker posted:

He did a few strips with the Pearls Before Swine guy a few years ago, too. I remember a lot of people going "no loving way" at the time.

I never knew about this. Looking it up, Watterson appearing as a sassy second-grader is kind of perfect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny part is Watterson looks almost exactly like Calvin'd dad with a mustache

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

Funny part is Watterson looks almost exactly like Calvin'd dad with a mustache

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

thnx for reminding me that I should use the last of my tax return to buy the hardcover complete Calvin and Hobbes to accompany my Complete Far Side

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Right next to a bunch of shabby, worn out, coffee stained Onion books

My bookshelves are extremely class blind

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Epic High Five posted:

Right next to a bunch of shabby, worn out, coffee stained Onion books

My bookshelves are extremely class blind

So that's what they're calling it now.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35DSdw7dHjs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i’m glad i actually watched this movie because for a time i only knew of this and the ‘you’ve all convinced yourselves that the tv that’s real not your own lives’ scene and thought the movie was all about his dude being Totally Right in a Corrupt World that idiots watched to pat themselves on the back. turns out it’s super cynical and good and i got to lol when glenn beck compared himself to it because he was either admitting that he was a dipshit or that his followers were dipshits

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

So that's what they're calling it now.

ya it sounds waaaaay better than "hobo chic" and I've really embraced it

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Infrastructure......... water year?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SpaceGoku posted:

in this hosed up hellworld calvin is a good role model

my Calvin and Hobbes books were taken from me as a child

I stole them and read them even more religiously

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

i live in southern oregon and am greatly looking forward to fire season being a horrific nightmare this year due to the lack of precipitation :thumbsup:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Perfectly normal above freezing temps at the north pole forecast in the final third of freezing season in the Arctic

https://i.imgur.com/nsAUSLB.mp4

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Perfectly normal above freezing temps at the north pole forecast in the final third of freezing season in the Arctic

We are just so, tremendously hosed

Those shot up kids are, if anything, not mad enough about the looted and doomed shitworld we have given them

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

What Is To Be Done?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger invisible hand

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

just think of all that untapped oil we’ll be able to access now :mrwhite:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’m glad i actually watched this movie because for a time i only knew of this and the ‘you’ve all convinced yourselves that the tv that’s real not your own lives’ scene and thought the movie was all about his dude being Totally Right in a Corrupt World that idiots watched to pat themselves on the back. turns out it’s super cynical and good and i got to lol when glenn beck compared himself to it because he was either admitting that he was a dipshit or that his followers were dipshits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuqvlMxfGA4

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i was laughing my rear end off at this while my libertarian roommate who was expecting the movie to tell him how smart and cool he was kept asking me why this was funny

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

seriously if any of you haven’t seen the network and your only exposure to it are those clips that the weird glenn beck people tossed around back in the day you should absolutely watch it because it’s pure distilled :discourse: in movie form

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARTLckN9e7I

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think i remember this level from EYE Divine Cybermancy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Thanks for removing the drought restrictions lol

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Oh cool, the most important watershed mountains in Arizona are at the absolute bottom level. That's awesome.

Anyone living in the Olympic peninsula or Seattle I can crash with?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
so should i be stocking up on almonds and pistachios now, or are they just gonna pump out another century's worth of fossil water to keep them going next year

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
We must never allow petty things like "people needing water to survive" to get in the way of creating shareholder value.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rex-Goliath posted:

i was laughing my rear end off at this while my libertarian roommate who was expecting the movie to tell him how smart and cool he was kept asking me why this was funny

did you tell him?

asking for a roommate

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Fantastic Flyer posted:

We must never allow petty things like "people needing water to survive" to get in the way of creating shareholder value.

Wouldn't the former lead to the latter?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

how's a libertarian gonna last a week in his imagined paradise without a thorough understanding of contract

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

thatfatkid posted:

Wouldn't the former lead to the latter?

The water running out will mean the squiggly line will go down one way or another, be it through either unavoidable shortage or deliberate rationing and precautions that cost money.

Because of that, the people responsible cannot even begin to imagine the line could go down so they refuse to consider that as a possibility; something has to give and ignoring the ecological threat is the safest bet for them in the short term.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imo Gov. Brown should mobilize the CA NG to go burn all the almond plantations. Especially that one rear end in a top hat who owns so many he uses more water than LA

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Imo Gov. Brown should mobilize the CA NG to go burn all the almond plantations. Especially that one rear end in a top hat who owns so many he uses more water than LA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

I like almonds, but... You know, I'm fine paying ten dollars a pack because I only have them on Easter Salmon anyways.