Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Should have married an adult rather than a literal trust fund literal baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [25f] boyfriend [28m] of one year frequently comes home with significant unexplained injuries that he doesn’t want to talk about.

Fight club or secret agent?

Bear farmer

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, no, you're summoning a horrible derailer into this thread. :ohdear:

I turn off the bathroom light and gaze into the mirror, trembling in anticipation as I breathlessly whisper, “baby bells, baby bells, baby bells, SWBYPs.”

In the morning my corpse will be found. Cause of death? Busted trust.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

:unsmith:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Cowslips Warren posted:

$200 a month for cable and Net here. My mom refuses to get rid of cable because she had 220+ hours of shows on the DVR.

I need to put a smart tv in her room with Netflix streaming, and Amazon, move out of my mom's house and see what happens.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
At least the “what do you pay for cable?” derail is mostly benign. I actually feel like I got an OK rate the other day.

Had been paying ~$80/month for a home phone and 30mbps internet. What with Time Warner rebranding as Spectrum, I called them to see if I could maybe get a better deal. ~$110ish for enough channels to watch, phone, and 100mbps internet for just a little more than Sling was costing me. The rep was really nice too. Sad part is, I didn’t even get a survey that time.

She told me that rate wasn’t going to change, either. It’s probably a lie, but I really want to believe. Anyway, that IS a good deal for living on the edge of nowhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got my mum to finally cancel the Foxtel, or as I called it, 'put it out of its misery'.

My brother was watching bad movies no one's ever heard of because there's literally nothing else on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hanales posted:

He’s probably been grooming her for a few years. She’s 19 now he probably “waited” for her to turn 18.

Dudes a predator.

Uhhh. Based on what evidence? Sometimes teenagers just make poor choices, it happens.

Edit: ok I guess the 'church mentor' thing is p dodgy. Never mind.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 20, 2018

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I [27 F] have some weird food habits that my boyfriend [29 M] bullies me over.

quote:

The title pretty much explains it, I have a few odd acquired tastes that my boyfriend is constantly bullying me about. We've been together about 2 years, living together for 1. We are both college graduates, have engineering jobs that pay well, are pretty run of the mill average people - I'm not a slob or a weirdo but he makes me feel like one sometimes. I'll just be minding my own business eating my food, and he'll enter the room, look at me, and say something like 'that looks disgusting' or 'I can't believe you're eating that, that's so nasty' and 'gags that's so gross.

In my opinion yeah what I'm eating may be slightly unconventional but it doesn't matter, it's not like I'm making him eat it. It really makes me feel self-conscious about my food when he does this, and I'm afraid I'm going to develop disordered eating habits with him constantly berating me.

Examples of foods would include I like to make tortilla chips and cheese with a LOT (like 4oz) of sour cream (the calcium helps me absorb my magnesium supplements better), or I like mayonnaise and peanut butter sandwiches with bananas. Sometimes I'll heat up a can of black beans and just eat a bowl of them (they're full of nutrients and protein!!), or saltine crackers with butter. I'll also cut up a pickle and eat it out of a bowl (I need the salt because of low blood pressure). I also like to put ketchup on my steak. I eat pretty healthy usually, with a protein filled breakfast of typical eggs or avocado toast, and make sure to have plenty of fruits and veggies throughout the day. Sometimes I just get a craving for something specific and I'll just make it. I'm not overweight, and my blood pressure/cholesterol and other health indicators are totally fine.

I'm writing this because things came to a head tonight, I usually get off work around 4 so I'm home earlier than my boyfriend, who sometimes works late and gets home around 7 or 8. I got home and texted him to see if he would need dinner, he said no and that he wouldn't be home until 7:30 so I should go ahead and eat.

I wasn't feeling that hungry so I went to the deli down the street and picked up a half sandwich and tomato soup. I started eating around 6:45 when he came home, and they forgot to put mayo on the sandwich and accidentally added onions which I dont like, so I picked the onions off and added some mayonnaise. I had literally just put it on the sandwich with the jar in front of me when he walked in. He said a brief hello, I asked how work was, he said good, and then he goes 'why is the mayo out' and I said oh they forgot to put some on my sandwich from Ronnies (the deli) and he looked at the jar plus the onions on the napkin next to me and says verbatim 'I don't understand why you're always loving around with your food, its really gross', then puts his bag down and goes into the bedroom to change. I immediately start crying because I'm tired of him making me feel like crap over something so pedantic, and he comes back out and says I'm being dramatic and I need to stop it.

Am I crazy? Is my eating really that gross? I just don't know what to do.

tl;dr: My boyfriend bullies me for the way I eat, and it makes me feel badly about myself.

First of all, :barf:

Second, the two of you are in your late twenties and making a big deal about this stupid poo poo? Sever from your annoying rear end in a top hat boyfriend.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've only been at my job for two years now, I work in the US, and I get four weeks of paid vacation at the start of the year to be used whenever I please, and I get Christmas week off (paid) on top of that. Hell, even at my old job renting apartments, we accrued 10 hours of PTO a month. Where the hell do you work?

I'm a contractor, and while I get solid health insurance and 401k, I get zero PTO. Most IT contractors like me have no PTO. Thankfully, my boss is very lenient and allows me to take a day or two off for a long weekend with my girlfriend or family, but I still take it unpaid.

America owns and contracting is the most exploitative thing outside of big box retail or chain food service.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

I [27 F] have some weird food habits that my boyfriend [29 M] bullies me over.

First of all, :barf:

Second, the two of you are in your late twenties and making a big deal about this stupid poo poo? Sever from your annoying rear end in a top hat boyfriend.

I was ready to empathize with the girl, but he makes one mildly rude comment about her food and she starts crying and runs to tell the internet about his "bullying"? Either there's some larger problem afoot in their relationship or she's a big weenie

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

feedmegin posted:

Uhhh. Based on what evidence? Sometimes teenagers just make poor choices, it happens.

Edit: ok I guess the 'church mentor' thing is p dodgy. Never mind.

You think there is any situation at all in which a person over 30 fucks a literal teenager and isn't being predatory

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

You think there is any situation at all in which a person over 30 fucks a literal teenager and isn't being predatory

If the person over 30 is developmentally disabled it could be predatory the other way round :colbert:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

pidan posted:

I was ready to empathize with the girl, but he makes one mildly rude comment about her food and she starts crying and runs to tell the internet about his "bullying"? Either there's some larger problem afoot in their relationship or she's a big weenie

When somebody feels the need to justify eating fuckloads of sour cream to 'absorb their magnesium supplements,' and other such bullshit, you can be sure we're not getting the full story.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I had a bit of an epiphany. If UBI is ever instituted, a whole lot of manchildren are going to fall down the rabbit hole and never return.

They won't be in the dating pool.
They won't be "doing" jobs.
They won't be dragging elderly relatives down.
They won't bother to vote.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Theophany posted:

When somebody feels the need to justify eating fuckloads of sour cream to 'absorb their magnesium supplements,' and other such bullshit, you can be sure we're not getting the full story.

That's weird as hell but I defy you to take a magnesium supplement on anything except a super full stomach.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beachcomber posted:

I had a bit of an epiphany. If UBI is ever instituted, a whole lot of manchildren are going to fall down the rabbit hole and never return.

Maybe SA will have a chance to make a comeback then.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

pidan posted:

If the person over 30 is developmentally disabled it could be predatory the other way round :colbert:

okay true

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's weird as hell but I defy you to take a magnesium supplement on anything except a super full stomach.

What does it do?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Beachcomber posted:

Combine that with VR sex and well, we will have quite the ghost generation just remove itself from the genepool.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think we just invented Ready Player One

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Theophany posted:

She puts ketchup on her steak. She gets no sympathy from me.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
People shouldn't be big babies out their food and develop some actual kind of palate.

They also shouldn't be mean to their partners no matter how much mayo they eat or how many pineapples they put on their pizza.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

She puts ketchup on her steak. She gets no sympathy from me.

At least she sounds like she eats better and has wider tastes than the orange-in-chief.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Theophany posted:

Calcium and magnesium compete for absorption so she’s not even right about that.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
There's a difference between bullying and a tactless comment about something a partner does that bugs you, but if it bothers her that much she needs to have a proper talk with him about it, let him know it genuinely upsets her and ask him to stop with the snark or at least tone it way down. If he refuses, turns it into some massive thing or tries to make her feel bad about it, then there might be something worth whining to the internet about. Until then they should loving communicate and sort it out like grown ups.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It isn't a one-time "tactless comment," did you all miss all the stuff about how he does it constantly and is a huge rear end in a top hat about it? It's not a problem that can be solved by communication. When he's dramatically gagging and calling her food disgusting, it's not like he doesn't know he's being an rear end in a top hat.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I pull at a face at my partner whenever she gets a pineapple pizza and she jokes about how much pasta I eat. We have a laugh about it; it's not her fault she grew up on the west coast and it's not mine I grew up south of the Alps.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Coohoolin posted:

They also shouldn't be mean to their partners no matter how much mayo they eat

what if all that mayo is making them super fat?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

What does it do?

It's fine for a little bit and then an hour or 4 later it feels like you swallowed a burning hot nickel and you are glued to the toilet for about an hour and it hurts the whole time.

Calcium Magnesium and Zinc are commonly combined together because they help absorption or some such thing I read awhile back, I'm not gonna cite it for the thread though. You can find a dozen or so calcium Magnesium and Zinc supplements at any US Pharmacy.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 20, 2018

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Fatkraken posted:

what if all that mayo is making them super fat?

Then the worried partner should have a supportive talk with their SO about their health concerns and the mayo eating partner should be able to listen to their partner's concerns and not assume they're being nasty or fatshaming.

Honestly, so many people seem unable to just be nice and understanding to each other you wonder why they even got together to begin with. My ex would say mean things frequently, and for no reason, and I'm still mad at myself it took me as long as it did to recognise the emotional abuse going on and end it when she punched me in the jaw after nearly 9 whole months. Gesù.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I won't kiss my wife when she's eating yogurt, I just can't stand the stuff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

InediblePenguin posted:

I meant more the 'grooming for years' bit.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Anne Whateley posted:

It isn't a one-time "tactless comment," did you all miss all the stuff about how he does it constantly and is a huge rear end in a top hat about it? It's not a problem that can be solved by communication. When he's dramatically gagging and calling her food disgusting, it's not like he doesn't know he's being an rear end in a top hat.

OTOH, if she's never actually brought it up with him, he may think it's the kind of low level banter that doesn't bother her, while she takes it as nasty snark that does. If she's told him it really bothers her he's being a huge arsehole, if she just silently takes it then cries in private, he probably doesn't realise how much of an arsehole he's being and it's kinda on her to ask him to stop. If he continues to do it after being told it really upsets her he's definitely a huge arsehole

like, 90% of /r/relationships would be solved by the partners actually talking to one another then breaking up if the lovely behaviour continues.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

feedmegin posted:

I meant more the 'grooming for years' bit.

He was her mentor

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Fatkraken posted:

OTOH, if she's never actually brought it up with him, he may think it's the kind of low level banter that doesn't bother her, while she takes it as nasty snark that does. If she's told him it really bothers her he's being a huge arsehole, if she just silently takes it then cries in private, he probably doesn't realise how much of an arsehole he's being and it's kinda on her to ask him to stop. If he continues to do it after being told it really upsets her he's definitely a huge arsehole

He saw her crying and told her not to be so dramatic. Unless she's Bette Midler's understudy, he's an rear end in a top hat.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I did when I did keto last year, I had no problem with it? And I was doing it on a severe calorie restriction too. :shrug:

That being said, I ditched all the mineral supplement poo poo as soon as my body adapted and I stopped feeling knackered all the time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He was her mentor

Which is literally why I edited my post with 'Edit: ok I guess the 'church mentor' thing is p dodgy. Never mind. '

Dude bad. Not disagreeing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

InediblePenguin posted:

I am of the controversial opinion that a grown adult can consensually gently caress another grown adult if they please.

E: though to clarify, this guy was definitely being a piece of poo poo in just so many ways.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

AnoHito posted:

I am of the controversial opinion that a grown adult can consensually gently caress another grown adult if they please.

Your understanding of nuance is impressive.