Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

What's more odd is that none of the hotfixes have made that chest locked, it's clearly intended to be locked or something.

Yeah I was very confused when I opened that crate assuming I'd find maybe some apples. Kinda wish I hadn't found it cause now I know it's there I could easily go grab it. Maybe they'll put in at least a very hard lock on it or put guards around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megazver posted:

So you just casually slandered someone without even doing a cursory google check? Alright.

I don't think you know what "slander" means.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

if anything, forums posts would be libel due to being a written form of defamation

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Popete posted:

Yeah I was very confused when I opened that crate assuming I'd find maybe some apples. Kinda wish I hadn't found it cause now I know it's there I could easily go grab it. Maybe they'll put in at least a very hard lock on it or put guards around.

The pre-order bonus chests are just as bad.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

[dumb post removed by author]

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 21, 2018

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Tei posted:

I am atheist and I read books and watch movies from very religious people, and I don't think they are retards and hate them just because they are religious.

I can even chat with a priest and have a fun time.

The idea to avoid this game because some of the developers may be racist and they come from a racist society is ridiculous.

nobody's actually suggesting that, though

you can still like and enjoy something while recognising it has problematic elements in it

in fact, such critical analysis can enhance one's enjoyment of the text

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The pre-order bonus chests are just as bad.

B-b-but they have corporate branding on them!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Man Johanka can go gently caress herself. Minor sidequest spoilers: Now I don't have a problem with her being a bit rude, I understand she's under a lot of stress dealing with the wounded, that's cool. But then I get thrown in jail for the night for sassing that jackass noble dude when he bursts in to invite her to his feast while I'm helping her with the wounded. I get out the next day and go see her like "wow that guy was a dick huh" and her response was "well at least he was here the whole time!" Bitch, what? I was right there loving helping you and he showed up out of nowhere and threw me in prison! Last I heard you were complaining that he does nothing to help with the wounded and was a bit of a creeper, now he's your knight in shining armour?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

B-b-but they have corporate branding on them!

Oh it's not even the Warhorse armor, that's like marginally inferior to magdeburg plate which is 2nd best in game.

The real issue is that

1) the chests are right out in the open with no bandits or anything around them, and

2) the other items in the chests are crazy powerful. Like the "Stinger" shortsword does more *piercing* damage, on a stab, than any of the two-handed longswords do (even the "endgame" St. George's), and it's a shortsword so you can use it with a shield!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anything else the starting tips guide is missing?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305878776

It's weird -- this guide doesn't seem to be getting the ratings my other guides have normally gotten, despite this being a much more popular game. Oddly all the guides that are getting upvoted and upranked are really incomplete or cursory or just a single tip ("Guide For Starting VIllage" whose entire content is "pick herbs, here is picture of herbs")

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Oddly all the guides that are getting upvoted and upranked are really incomplete or cursory or just a single tip ("Guide For Starting VIllage" whose entire content is "pick herbs, here is picture of herbs")

Game must really appeal to illiterate blacksmiths :shrug:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Anything else the starting tips guide is missing?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305878776

It's weird -- this guide doesn't seem to be getting the ratings my other guides have normally gotten, despite this being a much more popular game. Oddly all the guides that are getting upvoted and upranked are really incomplete or cursory or just a single tip ("Guide For Starting VIllage" whose entire content is "pick herbs, here is picture of herbs")
there might just be some wee fuckery regarding player region/numbers and popularity my friend

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

precision posted:

So how long should I do the squire missions before I head off to learn reading and explore? Since I won the bow off Hans I'm kinda wanting to just be an archmans and head out exploring.

At least until you learn blocking and dodging from the captain.

Also, you likely won't have the stats needed to use Han's bow, so you'll just draw and shoot straight away rather than draw and hold.

EDIT: And so it begins https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/134?tab=posts

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 21, 2018

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
I find the npc dialogue when you accidentally brush past them to be a bit jarring and immersion breaking.

"Thank you Henry, you done me a great service, I will be forever in your debt"
(npc walks into player)
"Get out of my faaking way"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Knobb Manwich posted:

Combos are fine though. Just go to Bernard, do the combo training, but don't do the combo he wants you to do, do any other. You get like five minutes to whale on him before he calls time. Do this until you understand the timing and can remember the combo. When you learned one, go away, then come back in an hour or two and do another.

I really like this combat system. Against a skilled enemy it's trading perfect blocks back and forth until finally one hit gets through, then trying to convert that to a combo for max damage. Or get them in a cinch which is a much easier way to make an opening for a combo.

Yeah, that screen shot is after ~2 hours with Cap'n B. I can perfect block just fine, but combos are nigh impossible for me. They need to loosen the timings or provide better cues, otherwise one of the most interesting parts of sword-fighting just dies on the vine for me.
:smith:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do golden spurs give you more control than regular ones?

Also drinking with the priest is the greatest thing.

Yes.

Also Yes.

Neurosis posted:

Yeah every comment I've seen about Theresa has been about how abrupt the ending was ] and that was my complaint too. I thought it was fairly well done albeit slightly saccharine. I liked what we saw of Theresa and wish she's been integrated into more of the game. You know if you don't save her at the start she kills all three of those Cumans

Yeah, she slits their throats like a loving badass. I felt so guilty I saved scummed 10 hours to go back and poke a Cuman.

After sleeping on it, this is the biggest disappointment so far. I would have really expected a lot more reactivity from this quest and characterization of Theresa. But, nope, whether or not she gets raped by a mercenary army in front of her dead parents or whether you distract the Cumans and save her so she can run away has no effect on her storyline. No matter what, she's just bangtail. I went back because I thought it would have an effect on the outcome, that maybe Henry would end up marrying his hometown sweetheart, but it seems the roundest females characters will be one-knight-stands. :heysexy:

Kind of expect to bang Divish's wife at some point, now... :smith:

Perestroika posted:

Ah yeah, that might make a difference. I've been rolling with a shield from the word go, because sabres and axes are life.

Anyhow, I've gotten up to the stealth section in the "Nest of Vipers" quest (where you scout out the bandit camp) and whoever designed that part can get hosed. "Alright, for this part we'll make the area you want to sneak into a long, narrow corridor with only one entrance at either end. It's chock-full with enemies that don't appear to need to sleep, particularly near the objects you're supposed to interact with. You can go the extra mile and get a Cuman disguise, but that will only give you a grace period of like two seconds tops."

I think this is an amazing quest and you should try exploring the entire lay of the camp before attempting infiltration. My Henry has a pretty high speech, so if you choose the right dialogue options you can pass at least 3 checks before you get caught on the fouth. It's extremely challenging, but totally worth it when pulled off. Took me 3 schnapps and ~5 or 6 hours of attempts to fully complete.

Ulio posted:

So whats the opinion of this now that people have gotten a few hours in it? Worth the jank?

Ulio posted:

Ya it does seem to have good word of mouth from those who have played even with the jank. It definitely seems to have many simulation/heavy role play elements which has put some people off. I am just worried if it is really buggy or just janky animations. Each time I look at it I get more interested.

In this reviewer's humble opinion, this poo poo is dat Skyrim-killer. It's got bugs to be sure, but the ones I have encountered have been of the "that's odd and/or funny" variety, rather than the game-breaking kind. There was one time where I lost control and had to reload a save which was very inconvenient, but life goes on.

In truth, most of the issues seem to be related to the GPU that's installed. :thejoke:

Alchenar posted:

I think it makes a lot more sense when you notice they're promoting the fact that they have devs from the original Operation Flashpoint on board.

:fry:
drat, I got did get that same sense of space from this game, and the feeling that the NPCs are doing things without my help or input. Thanks for putting the puzzle piece into place. :sun:

It's one of those things that there's wiggle room in the historical record on to the point that "is it accurate?" is almost asking the wrong question. Bohemia was on a major trade route; there was trade with African and Asia; there are all sorts of historical incidents throughout European history where hired mercenaries from almost anywhere ended up somewhere in Europe. There have been items inscribed with muslim phrases found in viking graves and viking graffitti in Africa. So on, so forth.

There's enough there that if the guy *wanted* to he could include a few people of color characters, maybe traders or even allied mercenaries, etc. Instead the overall game does have a kinda "raised eyebrow" dynamic where all the good people are white and all the bad people are scary and foreign.

Yeah, I'm actually glad they didn't go that route because it likely would have been satanic, dark moosleems in Sigi's army and we'd get that ominous, arabic musical-flourish when they show the evil, foreign darkmen coming to rape our white women...

Alchenar posted:

On the sexism stuff I think it would be fair to note that other Eastern European RPG Game Dev CD Projekt went from literal sex collector cards in their first game to having female empowerment be a core plot theme in their third.

Polite but firm disapproval can achieve a lot, particularly when dealing with people from a society that's trying to be Western but has a lot of conservative baggage it has to work through.

...But, like you say, they are from Eastern Europe and it is still :airquote: culturally :airquote: the 1990s there, so I'm hopeful.

Zigmidge posted:

Do you fickle nerds apply this kind of scrutiny of consumption to your music, movies and television too? How do you enjoy anything on this terrible earth full of inequality and exploitation?

Discussing things in an internet discussion forum? Well clutch my pearls! :huh:

Inevitablelongshot posted:

I find the npc dialogue when you accidentally brush past them to be a bit jarring and immersion breaking.

(npc walks into player)

I really liked the guy who ran into me, while I was on my horse standing still, and screamed "FUCKER! You almost killed me!"

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Had a fight with a certain sneaky murderer near the monastery. He lunged at me with his sword, and an oblivious civilian NPC wandered between us at just the right/wrong moment and got cut down for his trouble.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
I'm pretty sure the merchants in this game eventually "sell" anything you've sold to them, at their full value, and that's how you get them to increase their money pool.

If you've been selling a bunch of crap to one vendor over several days, eventually they'll go from a 500g to 12,000g pool based on the profit they're making, is my rough guess as to how seems to work.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Coldforge posted:

I'm pretty sure the merchants in this game eventually "sell" anything you've sold to them, at their full value, and that's how you get them to increase their money pool.

If you've been selling a bunch of crap to one vendor over several days, eventually they'll go from a 500g to 12,000g pool based on the profit they're making, is my rough guess as to how seems to work.

Definitely, I've seen the NPCs shopping at merchants so there is some kind of macro-economy at work. My wonder is whether there is a finite amount of grosh in the gameworld, or if the game spawns it for NPCs as well as Henry. It would be funny if you could steal all of the money and collapse the economy sending everything into anarchy. A few scripted characters like Hans Capon walking around obliviously while the Peasantry goes Full Purge Mode... :allears:

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

first aid 3 seems to be worth it for the dialogue options alone. in the the hour or so of gameplay after picking it up I've already used it twice.

also, the Charlatan quest giver is a cool guy

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just bought Al-Buraq. That is one regal goddamn horse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inevitablelongshot posted:

(npc walks into player)

Yeah they need to patch that out, it's stupid as hell especially when THEY bump into HENRY.

So the guard you train with is the best. He yells at a guy for drinking on the job, then IMMEDIATELY says "well Henry, let's go play dice until dark" :haw: Also he says Theresa has "balls bigger than most men"

I'm about to go hunting with Hans. I hope I can Dick Cheney him.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

You a dick, Henry

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Definitely, I've seen the NPCs shopping at merchants so there is some kind of macro-economy at work. My wonder is whether there is a finite amount of grosh in the gameworld, or if the game spawns it for NPCs as well as Henry. It would be funny if you could steal all of the money and collapse the economy sending everything into anarchy. A few scripted characters like Hans Capon walking around obliviously while the Peasantry goes Full Purge Mode... :allears:

Now you're going full delusional pipe dreams.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Don'y worry simple herb-woman, I don't believe you are a witch. Now allow me to use your alchemy bench.

What the? Witchcraft!

WITCHCRAFT!

Oooo, I can see my house from here

And then I pressed Escape and fell to my death :negative:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

if images could be thread titles

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Smirr posted:

I just bought Al-Buraq. That is one regal goddamn horse.

He looks great with the green and white caparison.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Kopijeger posted:

Had a fight with a certain sneaky murderer near the monastery. He lunged at me with his sword, and an oblivious civilian NPC wandered between us at just the right/wrong moment and got cut down for his trouble.

I couldn't complete this quest without reloading and doing something different, my graphics card wouldn't render the murderer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another thing I love to add to the pile is that for once an open world game doesn't make you feel like you're chumpetizing yourself by not going in every drat building and searching everyone's drawers and whatnot. In every other open world game, if you saw a farmhouse in the woods, there'd be a 100% chance it had something great to loot in it and a 95% chance there's a quest attached. Here, you can safely play like a sane human being and only go places you have a legit ingame reason to go to because there aren't Gauntlets of Ogre Power hidden in some schmuck's basement or w/e

Question: Are there caves? It feels like there ought to be caves.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kopijeger posted:

He looks great with the green and white caparison.

That would be a great guide: photos of all the different caparisons.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Looks like the bug for ginger in a pickle got fixed, at least from my end. Any goon want to confirm just to be safe?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

precision posted:

Another thing I love to add to the pile is that for once an open world game doesn't make you feel like you're chumpetizing yourself by not going in every drat building and searching everyone's drawers and whatnot. In every other open world game, if you saw a farmhouse in the woods, there'd be a 100% chance it had something great to loot in it and a 95% chance there's a quest attached. Here, you can safely play like a sane human being and only go places you have a legit ingame reason to go to because there aren't Gauntlets of Ogre Power hidden in some schmuck's basement or w/e

I've found a few caves but they're very short. There is a mine complex west of Skalitz that is pretty cool, but I'd stay out of it until you have a quest to go there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

Yeah they need to patch that out, it's stupid as hell especially when THEY bump into HENRY.

So the guard you train with is the best. He yells at a guy for drinking on the job, then IMMEDIATELY says "well Henry, let's go play dice until dark" :haw: Also he says Theresa has "balls bigger than most men"

I'm about to go hunting with Hans. I hope I can Dick Cheney him.

If you question him about the drinking he says it's okay for him and that you aren't allowed to relax on the job if you have gate or tower duty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

If you question him about the drinking he says it's okay for him and that you aren't allowed to relax on the job if you have gate or tower duty.

Lots of little conversational touches like that. I really enjoyed that I could call the Armorer out for not being a Good Christian to the beggar lady. Not regretting the Lowborn perk yet, it's fantastic to pass every Speech check against normies.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

precision posted:

There are a few caves, but the ones I found have been nothing special. Like, literally a small cave.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Very mad that my Rattay murder spree couldn't end with an epic duel between Bernard and myself, because they disable your attack buttons when you fight him.

Also holy poo poo it is fun scything through villagers. Aw, you have a tiny hatchet, how cute!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Shanghaied posted:

There are a few caves, but the ones I found have been nothing special. Like, literally a small cave.

I think that would be a great way to troll the players. Just empty caves with nothing in them, like in real life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, just noticed that under Maintenance there's a low level perk to make running take 20% less stamina if you repair your own boots so taking Sprinter seems like a no brainer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Oh, just noticed that under Maintenance there's a low level perk to make running take 20% less stamina if you repair your own boots so taking Sprinter seems like a no brainer.

I took the perk to sprint %20 slower but for %20 longer, I'm hoping to find some marathon races in game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

precision posted:

The problem is that basically all the Maintenance perks are awesome. Stuffing makes plate as quiet as leather, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Popete posted:

I took the perk to sprint %20 slower but for %20 longer, I'm hoping to find some marathon races in game.

It was the logical choice, running everywhere = more endurance levelups = optimized henry