Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Erotic Role Play

Alternatively, randos can barge into your place and do erp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i am become catgirl, destroyer of worlds

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thundarr posted:

I forget who it was, but somebody in this thread posted some pictures of a house they decorated almost entirely with stuff you can buy super cheap (a couple thousand gil at most) from merchants in the housing zones and it still looked really good. If the decorating bug strikes you, you can have a good looking home that hardly costs you a thing once the actual "having a house" part is taken care of.

I'm not sure if I'm that somebody, but my house is cool and is mostly vendor stuff. There are a few crafted items, like chairs and couch, which need the wax from Haukke normal, the fireplaces, the picture-frames, and the cooking and blacksmithing stations (mostly added for flavour, tbh) but your housing vendors can sell all kinds of decent stuff that you can use for very little.

The butler elf (I like to call mine Alfredoix) aka "Manor Steward" can be purchases from Independent Sutlers in the housing zones for 5000g, I think. They sell all kinds of furnishings and you can plonk them down anywhere in your house and pick the race and sex. Boys wear suits and girls wear maid outfits.

Leofish posted:

I did not get a new house because I like my plot in the Lavender Beds too much, but with some of the new items added in 4.2, I did a bit of redecorating in my small house. The open partition and the brick wall are some of my favourite new items. Having extra vendors is nice, too.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Are Sutlers what they call Merchants in different localizations?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Are Sutlers what they call Merchants in different localizations?

I don't know what the other localizations call them. I just know that the permits to place vendors in your house come from vendors called "independent sutler" as opposed to "housing merchant" or whatever.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Jeez dad from dad of light is dead. If I had ever gotten around to watching it I'm sure id be pretty bummed.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Jeez dad from dad of light is dead. If I had ever gotten around to watching it I'm sure id be pretty bummed.

I'm pretty bummed yeah. :( That sucks.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Know Dad of Light was basically the default male character with a face tattoo but I hopemthey out him in the game, somewhere in girdania or an entrance to Bahamut raid

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Know Dad of Light was basically the default male character with a face tattoo but I hopemthey out him in the game, somewhere in girdania or an entrance to Bahamut raid

This reminds me of the super creepy Tauren NPC in World of Warcraft that got put in as a make a wish foundation thing for this dying kid. He got to voice act for it and everything. Except then the kid died so when you ran past the NPC you'd hear the voice of a dead kid going "will you help me find my dooog~"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hra Mormo posted:

This reminds me of the super creepy Tauren NPC in World of Warcraft that got put in as a make a wish foundation thing for this dying kid. He got to voice act for it and everything. Except then the kid died so when you ran past the NPC you'd hear the voice of a dead kid going "will you help me find my dooog~"

Or you can be less cynical and weird about it and look at it as an homage and an awesome gesture by blizzard done for one of their fans. IIRC they also gave him the legendary bow off KJ while he was still playing during TBC because he played a hunter.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wow, seriously? That's a bummer. :( I really have to watch that show.

Hra Mormo posted:

:ok:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh, the actor! That's sad too. I wonder what's going on with the actual family that's based on.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Wacky Delly posted:

Oh, the actor! That's sad too. I wonder what's going on with the actual family that's based on.

Oops, yeah I should have been way more specific

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Figured I should level a tank. Can someone give me the run down on Paladin vs Warrior vs Dark Knight?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Figured I should level a tank. Can someone give me the run down on Paladin vs Warrior vs Dark Knight?

PLD is the actual Warrior of Light right now. It excels at everything a tank wants to do while still having some strong situational powers and being probably the easiest job in the game to play.

WAR can situationally out-DPS or out-Tank the PLD but WAR can’t out-DPS a PLD as Main tank and out-surviving a PLD both takes a lot of skill and kills your DPS. It has a lot of fun and interesting buttons but most of it adds up to the same thing PLDs get by just doing the thing.

DRK lives life in shame from the shadows, the worst at both not dying and making things die. It has some fun and interesting toys but it’s just the worst. It’s still not BAD, just... underwhelming compared to WAR and especially PLD.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Uh I do more dps as a WAR MT than I do as a PLD MT because I'm only in defiance for about 20 seconds in a fight.

Our other tank likes Dark Knight better than both others and does hella DPS on it from MT or OT as well.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

pld is like playing a wow tank in that it is super boring and also has a lot of low-cd mitigation while also doing the usual mmo tank things of like 'taking someone else's damage' and 'dying because the pld covered the twin bolt'

warrior is a tough guy and isn't bothered by tanking concepts like 'holding aggro'. instead he is a dps who accidentally got a bigger hp pool.

drk used to be the magic damage tank but now he's just another tank. he also used to be needlessly complex to do the same dps as all the other tanks but now he is incredibly boring.

play whichever one you want, the flavor is going to matter more than any gameplay concessions and they're all more or less on equal footing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_-9dsRMozk

Thundarr posted:

All of the vendor NPCs are sold by merchants in the housing zones, aside from the snake ladies which are sold at the snake lady fort in the Fringes.

"We uncovered a node that has been able to remain active for centuries and contains vast knowledge on the culture of ancient Allag."

"Make it sell furniture."

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What? :smith:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 21, 2018

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

PLDs are also really good OTs right now because of Cover, Intervention, and Clemency.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

DRK is my main so I know it the best. You can pop a bubble on someone so they don't eat it to an avoidable attack while simultaneously fueling your DARK ENERGY to kill more things.

PLD....I just find super boring to play. It's good, probably, but yawn.

WAR is pretty great. I love how you can swap tank stances on the fly without spending resources and fell-cleaving dudes is extremely satisfying.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Rosalind posted:

PLDs are also really good OTs right now because of Cover, Intervention, and Clemency.

plds are really good trash occupiers because they're trash and should stay in the trash.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
War generates so much aggro in deliverance that I have to shirk on cooldown to make sure the MT keeps hate even when skipping onslaught. Also nothing beats 5-8 18-21k fell cleaves or 8-10k decimates in a row.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kotaku article: https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-dad-of-light-star-ren-osugi-has-died-1823185070

Original article: http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/14334273/

Translating the original article into English gives this rather awkward phrasing: Actor Ren Osugi announced that he died at 66 years old

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

War generates so much aggro in deliverance that I have to shirk on cooldown to make sure the MT keeps hate even when skipping onslaught. Also nothing beats 5-8 18-21k fell cleaves or 8-10k decimates in a row.

nu-IR makes exdr so tolerable.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, nothing in the game is so tightly tuned that you can’t just play what you want. PLD is straightforward and efficient, WARs are all about flurries of furious action, and DRKs are there too, I guess.

(I don’t really get what they are now. They used to be the tank all about resource juggling but kinda lost all their depth to that in SB while the WAR kinda quietly picked up that particular hat, at least as a MT if they needed to actually use their Defiance spenders)

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Translating the original article into English gives this rather awkward phrasing: Actor Ren Osugi announced that he died at 66 years old

Man, the Japanese really do have us beat on politeness.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ironically, it's the longest DPS EX queue (I've had at this time of day, not counting prime time) in a long time.
From like 60 pages ago, but this will happen with healer and tank queues sometimes too. "Oh! Adventurer in need flipped to <role>! That's my job, I better queue for quick queues and extras!"

Except that poo poo only updates once every 5 minutes or so, and now there's probably 6 billion <role> queue. Unless you catch it the moment it flips, you're probably waiting longer than usual. :v:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Man, the Japanese really do have us beat on politeness.

Please remember if you feel pain in your chest, chew 2 aspirin and write your own obituary.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr. Locke posted:

PLD is the actual Warrior of Light right now. It excels at everything a tank wants to do while still having some strong situational powers and being probably the easiest job in the game to play.

WAR can situationally out-DPS or out-Tank the PLD but WAR can’t out-DPS a PLD as Main tank and out-surviving a PLD both takes a lot of skill and kills your DPS. It has a lot of fun and interesting buttons but most of it adds up to the same thing PLDs get by just doing the thing.

DRK lives life in shame from the shadows, the worst at both not dying and making things die. It has some fun and interesting toys but it’s just the worst. It’s still not BAD, just... underwhelming compared to WAR and especially PLD.

For anyone considering playing DRK, it's worth giving a shot because well...don't take the bolded too seriously. At the end of the day, a Dark Knight was still in the world first clear group for Unending Coil. The balance margins in this game are pretty drat inconsequential in 99% of play.

Whether you like the play style or not is the more important factor.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Captain Oblivious posted:

For anyone considering playing DRK, it's worth giving a shot because well...don't take the bolded too seriously. At the end of the day, a Dark Knight was still in the world first clear group for Unending Coil. The balance margins in this game are pretty drat inconsequential in 99% of play.

Whether you like the play style or not is the more important factor.

I've mained DRK since Heavensward and I've enjoyed it. I've been leveling WAR again which has also been a blast. I haven't played PLD at all so I can't comment on that.

It also helps to know that the DRK has what is widely considered to be the best job quest line.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Someone on reddit made a video of all the cposes, vposes, and bstances for both male and female.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izP8AimuVK0

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PLD is the utility tank. Cover and Intervention are ridiculously good and Divine Veil and Passage of Arms also exist, I guess. A lot of people call them the defensive tank but their cooldowns aren't anything special so they're not actually any tankier than the other tanks. They have a very rigid dps rotation and it's basically guaranteed that their Requiescat cycle will line up with movement at least once per fight so get used to slidecasting.

WAR is the burst damage tank. They used to be focused around building resources to burn during burst windows but now they just flail randomly and it doesn't really matter what they do as long as they are getting 5 Fell Cleaves per IR. Defensively they have the worst cooldowns unless you are mainlining Inner Beast.

DRK is the press a lot of buttons tank. They use a lot of OGCDs and high end play is all about pooling resources to spend during party buffs. Defensively they have by far the best cooldowns for magic heavy fights (which are 4 of the 5 fights this tier) and are more or less on par with PLD in physical fights.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Honestly it's just nice that they animated male stances at all in case someday someone wants to play one.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dang, GMs are on point lately. I've reported a bunch of PVP afkers and where they used to take days to reply I now hear back in under an hour.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Verranicus posted:

Dang, GMs are on point lately. I've reported a bunch of PVP afkers and where they used to take days to reply I now hear back in under an hour.

That's good to hear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

WrightOfWay posted:

PLD is the utility tank. Cover and Intervention are ridiculously good and Divine Veil and Passage of Arms also exist, I guess. A lot of people call them the defensive tank but their cooldowns aren't anything special so they're not actually any tankier than the other tanks. They have a very rigid dps rotation and it's basically guaranteed that their Requiescat cycle will line up with movement at least once per fight so get used to slidecasting.

WAR is the burst damage tank. They used to be focused around building resources to burn during burst windows but now they just flail randomly and it doesn't really matter what they do as long as they are getting 5 Fell Cleaves per IR. Defensively they have the worst cooldowns unless you are mainlining Inner Beast.

DRK is the press a lot of buttons tank. They use a lot of OGCDs and high end play is all about pooling resources to spend during party buffs. Defensively they have by far the best cooldowns for magic heavy fights (which are 4 of the 5 fights this tier) and are more or less on par with PLD in physical fights.

PLD is tankier because of the shield. Blocking can reduce so much damage and there are three cooldowns that either guarantee block or increase block rate. Intervention, cover, POA, and veil are all amazing no doubt, though.

PLD can’t burst the ghost on phantom train in w gcds, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Passive blocks aren't really any better than what DRK can do with TBN, though. Also Bulwark's cooldown is like twice as long as it should be for how small of an effect it has.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

WrightOfWay posted:

Passive blocks aren't really any better than what DRK can do with TBN, though. Also Bulwark's cooldown is like twice as long as it should be for how small of an effect it has.
Then you use it in a dungeon on a big trash back and you block like, a gazillion damages and have gauge for days.
Which is roughly how long you'll have to wait for it to come up again but that's usually after the next boss that you should have run down your gauge on anyways.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
WAR having the worst defensive cooldowns is far from the truth. Getting Rampart on top of their CD suite means they have plenty of CDs for every situation and more importantly, their CD timers are way shorter.

And with the Unchained change, you can drop into Defiance more regularly to use Inner Beast if you really need to without suffering as large as a DPS drop since Upheaval gains a lot of damage in Defiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Brainamp posted:

Someone on reddit made a video of all the cposes, vposes, and bstances for both male and female.

Jesus. All the poses are super silly, but... Thanks for curing me of any desire to change my character to female. It's just too much and princessy to bear.