Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Venuz Patrol posted:

SMG logicing himself into the arms of extreme right wing conservatism was really the only way his whole shtick could end

No; my opposition to liberal gun control is that it isn’t harsh enough. I support extreme punitive taxation and fines against gun manufacturers/retailers, instead.

Gun companies love gun control as much as a gangster loves prohibition - but they also obviously support deregulation. The game is set so that they always win.

Yet most comic book films are gun control debate films. On the one side, we need to keep ‘powers’ away from the crazy people and, on the other, we need ‘powers’ to defend ourselves from the crazy people. And so Spiderman argues that ‘with gun ownership comes great responsibility’ - and this message is broadcast again and again, with Civil War, XMen, Iron Man, Black Panther....

XMen even takes things to a Cronenbergian place and argues that guns, being prosthetic enhancements, are as much a part of the body as a pair of glasses or a cochlear implant. So what we’re ultimately talking about is the regulation of bodies - what you are allowed to do with/to your body.

This debate over ‘powers’ is a pseudo-opposition; both the American center and the right wing agree on the figure of ‘the crazy violent person’ as the ultimate target, turning attention away from gun companies. Both will, consequently, happily promote the idea that liberal gun control is as progressive as you can possibly get.

That’s XMen’s ideological failure: by focussing exclusively on individual empowerment and self-expression, it turns the issue of gun violence into one of multicultural tolerance versus harassment by ‘toxic subjects’. The debate over the open carrying of guns is oddly homologous to the whole ‘free the nipple’ controversy - the wearing of a holstered gun is understood as, automatically, a form of provocation/harassment. And that logic comes to a head with the character of Mystique, who openly displays her ‘powers’ through confrontational nudism.

The problem of XMen is that it doesn’t take its thesis to a logical conclusion, and critique the network of social relations and material supplements in which these characters are enmeshed. If your gun is a part of your body, then so is your food, your phone, your workplace, your healthcare, your air, your environment.... And unfortunately that’s the problem with most protests that follow whatever latest outbreak of white supremacist terrorism. The issue with gun nuts is not that they have guns - guns are available anywhere in the world - but that guns are perceived as the only thing under their control, and consequently their only recourse. That’s also what makes them perfect targets for internet radicalization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:stare: holy gently caress SMG's redtext

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:stare: holy gently caress SMG's redtext

What was it, I fear he may be banned before he can return

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No; my opposition to liberal gun control is that it isn’t harsh enough. I support extreme punitive taxation and fines against gun manufacturers/retailers, instead.

Gun companies love gun control as much as a gangster loves prohibition - but they also obviously support deregulation. The game is set so that they always win.

Yet most comic book films are gun control debate films. On the one side, we need to keep ‘powers’ away from the crazy people and, on the other, we need ‘powers’ to defend ourselves from the crazy people. And so Spiderman argues that ‘with gun ownership comes great responsibility’ - and this message is broadcast again and again, with Civil War, XMen, Iron Man, Black Panther....

XMen even takes things to a Cronenbergian place and argues that guns, being prosthetic enhancements, are as much a part of the body as a pair of glasses or a cochlear implant. So what we’re ultimately talking about is the regulation of bodies - what you are allowed to do with/to your body.

This debate over ‘powers’ is a pseudo-opposition; both the American center and the right wing agree on the figure of ‘the crazy violent person’ as the ultimate target, turning attention away from gun companies. Both will, consequently, happily promote the idea that liberal gun control is as progressive as you can possibly get.

That’s XMen’s ideological failure: by focussing exclusively on individual empowerment and self-expression, it turns the issue of gun violence into one of multicultural tolerance versus harassment by ‘toxic subjects’. The debate over the open carrying of guns is oddly homologous to the whole ‘free the nipple’ controversy - the wearing of a holstered gun is understood as, automatically, a form of provocation/harassment. And that logic comes to a head with the character of Mystique, who openly displays her ‘powers’ through confrontational nudism.

The problem of XMen is that it doesn’t take its thesis to a logical conclusion, and critique the network of social relations and material supplements in which these characters are enmeshed. If your gun is a part of your body, then so is your food, your phone, your workplace, your healthcare, your air, your environment.... And unfortunately that’s the problem with most protests that follow whatever latest outbreak of white supremacist terrorism. The issue with gun nuts is not that they have guns - guns are available anywhere in the world - but that guns are perceived as the only thing under their control, and consequently their only recourse. That’s also what makes them perfect targets for internet radicalization.

This is actually a good post and it even coherently ties the issue back into comic book movies. Gun control does fail to address the unique psychology of gun ownership in America. The constant focus on mental health in these debates is kind of begging the question. Mass shooters are deemed crazy only on the basis of them being mass shooters, but there is no realistic mental health solution to the crisis of mass shootings. What if shooters have internalized and act out on sentiments that already exists throughout our culture about speech, individualism and violence. That's a more threatening belief because it places the blame and onus to stop these horrible events not just on a few lone wolf crazies, gun nuts and their financial backers, but on all of us, society as a whole. To get a little moralistic, these shooters aren't typically crazy, they're evil and what's worse they have been taught to do evil.

wtf mods

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 22, 2018

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Yeah I'm not sure how that post was worth a probe

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

What was it, I fear he may be banned before he can return

Picture of a dude sticking his head up his own rear end (bending over with the torso passing through the legs) with some crisis actor text under it

GonSmithe posted:

Sorry about that guys, I went out last night. Thank you for reporting.

Maybe it doesn't need to be said but while you're at it can you declare an official moratorium on discussing this poo poo in this thread?

It's not like this isn't being discussed in every other forum/social media platform/public space already

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

It's the MCU. Got to have drones in the movie somewhere.

edit:
I think, for all its fault, Black Panther is shown trying to do something to fix things at the end. I don't think they ever show Tony Stark trying to built cheap energy plants in poor countries, which is what he should be doing if he wants to stop militants from spreading. All he did in the movies was destroy his own weapons the terrorists were using and then installing a power supply for his own tower only.

that in itself is kind of hosed up. There's a narrative requirement for an African leader to make ammends for a problem that he has, at worst, neglected, but not for an arms manufacturer with regards to a problem he has actively aggravated and indeed profited from. In fact, the general implication of the film, that the oppression of the black diaspora is the fault of an African nation (albeit a fictional one) with-holding help, is like...20 different kinds of hosed up.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Turns out this thread is the best comic book movie of the year. What a rollercoaster.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe it doesn't need to be said but while you're at it can you declare an official moratorium on discussing this poo poo in this thread?

It's not like this isn't being discussed in every other forum/social media platform/public space already

If the issue can be tied into how film is shaped by culture and vice versa, where else would you discuss it?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sinding Johansson posted:

If the issue can be tied into how film is shaped by culture and vice versa, where else would you discuss it?

I mean realistically, I just think it should be clear that we can discuss it or can't. It seemed like the SMg probe was an implicit deterrent from continuing that line of discussion. If it can be tied to comic book movies and isn't just posters making GBS threads on each other I'm fine either way

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is actually a fantastic point.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Anybody even tacitly supporting White and "crisis actors" deserves a permaban, in my opinion. SMG got off too easy.

With that said, Black Panther ruled. I never did see Thor Ragnarok (mainly because I didn't like What We Do In The Shadows), but I should probably give it a shot.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 22, 2018

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
This is a tangent I know I'll stop but literally and I mean literally all SMG said was that the media is manipulative of tragedy and the ghoulishness of the media in these situations is objectively a fact. Anything beyond that, like bullshit about crisis actors, is putting someone else's words in his mouth.

edit: vvv the stuff about comic book movies was apt. SMG (recall he's a freaking marxist) said the kids were being exploited (which has a specific marxist interpretation). CNN et al aren't charities and their news coverage has always explicitly and implicitly been driven by financial interests. Hell it would be disingenuous to give these organizations even enough credit to say they are opposed to the deaths of children, given their history of reporting on other issues like war, poverty, healthcare, extra-legal drone strikes and state sanctioned violence

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 22, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He defended a man who was talking about how children who survived a horrific encounter with a madman were actors from the deep state to stop the second amendment and he got probed for it and came back with that bullshit about comic book movies and guns.

It was a bad post because he is either ignoring the issue he defended or not addressing it. It wasn’t and never was about comic book movies and guns.

It’s about one piece of poo poo and his garbage opinions and a goon who defended it for reeeassssons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crows Turn Off posted:

With that said, Black Panther ruled. I never did see Thor Ragnarok (mainly because I didn't like What We Do In The Shadows), but I should probably give it a shot.
Don't worry, you just saw Thor: Ragnarok.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Sinding Johansson posted:

This is a tangent I know I'll stop but literally and I mean literally all SMG said was that the media is manipulative of tragedy and the ghoulishness of the media in these situations is objectively a fact. Anything beyond that, like bullshit about crisis actors, is putting someone else's words in his mouth.

edit: vvv the stuff about comic book movies was apt. SMG (recall he's a freaking marxist) said the kids were being exploited (which has a specific marxist interpretation). CNN et al aren't charities and their news coverage has always explicitly and implicitly been driven by financial interests. Hell it would be disingenuous to give these organizations even enough credit to say they are opposed to the deaths of children, given their history of reporting on other issues like war, poverty, drone strikes and state sanctioned violence

Lol keep on digging that hole.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Don't worry, you just saw Thor: Ragnarok.

Is the joke that Thor Ragnarok is very similar to Black Panther, or that it's very similar to What We Do in the Shadows?

I mean, it works either way.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

porfiria posted:

School shootings are good, sheeple.

mods?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposed leaks about Aquaman

quote:

One year after JUSTICE LEAGUE, Aquaman (Jason Momoa) is protecting the oceans, and joins forces with Mera (Amber Heard) to prevent a war between Atlantis and the surface world.

Aquaman is the son of human lighthouse keeper Tom Curry (Temuera Morrison) and Atlantean princess Atlanna (Nicole Kidman), who was eventually forced to abandon them to marry General Atlan (Graham McTavish), with whom she had another son, Orm (Patrick Wilson).

Orm becomes king of Atlantis and wants to destroy the surface world for polluting the ocean. As the rightful heir to the throne, Aquaman is the only one who can stop him. Orm hires Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) to stop Aquaman from interfering with his plans. Black Manta is a mercenary who wants revenge against Aquaman because Aquaman's father killed his father, who was a pirate. Orm also commands an army of underwater monsters called "The Trench".

Mera's father, Nereus (Dolph Lundgren), is the ruler of one of Atlantis' cities and commands its army. He dislikes Aquaman and the surface world at first, but Mera eventually convinces him to help them stop Orm.

The movie is very faithful to Geoff Johns' New 52 series and is said to be "action-packed", but also "very emotional". Atlantis' design was described as "a cross between FINAL FANTASY and the STAR WARS prequels".

There's several flashbacks to Aquaman's childhood and adolescence, revealing how he discovered his powers and learned to control them.

Orm is the main villain, Black Manta is a secondary antagonist. Both have very comic-accurate costumes. Aquaman also wears his classic yellow and green suit in one scene.

Mostly standalone, with no greater connections to the DCEU than a direct reference to Steppenwolf's invasion.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Atlantis' design was described as "a cross between FINAL FANTASY and the STAR WARS prequels".

I'm into it, but just lol at using this as a selling point

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That sounds like very similar to the Black Panther plot except with the roles reversed?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James Wan also earlier said that it's "Game of Thrones meets James Cameron's Avatar", which makes me thinks of a bio-luminescent deep sea fish: dark shapes outlined with colorful lights.

Snowman_McK posted:

that in itself is kind of hosed up. There's a narrative requirement for an African leader to make ammends for a problem that he has, at worst, neglected, but not for an arms manufacturer with regards to a problem he has actively aggravated and indeed profited from. In fact, the general implication of the film, that the oppression of the black diaspora is the fault of an African nation (albeit a fictional one) with-holding help, is like...20 different kinds of hosed up.

I've heard of this sentiment before, but it's from Muslims instead of specifically black people. Rich Arab nations, especially Saudi Arabia, are frequently criticized by people in other Muslim countries for not protecting Palestine, Iraq or Afghanistan from America and Israel and sometimes they are even accused of aiding what they see as the enemy.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 22, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I hope Patrick Wilson hams it up terrifically. He was a great villain in the A-Team.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I’m just sad Tom Curry is just a character and we don’t have Tim Curry in this movie instead

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ehm, bit late to this, but just to clarify, when I wrote " "Maybe sometimes, the CIA does bad things and isn't all good?", I actually was referring to SHIELD in Winter Soldier, and how it's very clearly following a fascist ideology, but undercuts it in the third act by having the the Good spooks spontaneously separate themselves from the nazi spooks by a show of hands.

I mean, it arguably works better for BP, but just as a point of clarification.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

davidspackage posted:

I hope Patrick Wilson hams it up terrifically. He was a great villain in the A-Team.

The guy calls himself Ocean Master. There's no way but ham from there.

Also you know a guy is an rear end in a top hat when he calls himself "Ocean Master".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

IJSMGS - International Journal of SuperMechaGodzilla Studies
CFP: WHAT WENT WRONG WITH SMG?
Guest Editor: SuperMechaGodzilla
Submissions:
Abstracts with bibliography, March 16;
Full essays, June 15, 2018

In the last couple of years, attacks on SuperMechaGodzilla multiply from different sources. Politically, he was condemned for his position on Armond White, for his critique of the humanitarian approach to refugees, for his more nuanced approach to LGBT+ movement, etc. In the space of psychoanalysis, posters around porfiria started a ferocious campaign against SMG, denouncing him as a fraud. In the space of philosophy, new forms of realism ("Black Panther ontology") reject SMG's thought as still rooted in transcendental subjectivity. Attacks on SMG are often characterized by an almost unheard-of personal brutality (CelticPredator, the campaign to "erase" SMG from Cinema Discusso), and they are also accompanied by SMG's growing exclusion from public forums - one can no longer read his comments and columns in the Comic Book thread, Star Wars, GenChat, etc.

Instead of getting caught in petty personal exchanges, the question should be raised: which are the real stakes of this ongoing conflict? What does it imply philosophically and politically? The idea is to invite SMG's colleagues and his critics to engage with different aspects of the emergence of SMG as a problematic and divisive figure, and then to allow SMG himself to reply to the collected texts. Such an issue of IJSMGS could play a very important role since it will render visible the main antagonisms that traverse today's movie discussion boards.

Should you be interested in submitting a paper please quote “CFP: WHAT WENT WRONG WITH SMG?” and send Abstract to the IJSMGS.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Uh, why was SMG probated for an extremely good and interesting post about the X-Men in the comic book movie thread?

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

How is cynicism towards the news industry’s narrativization of the shooting, and America’s bullshit gun control debate, incorrect?

White is unambiguously arguing that the children are being exploited. Which, y’know, they are.

It’s not a defense; he’s not insulting the children.

He did not say they are crisis actors. He’s specifically written that they are children - and, since children are typically not good at understanding the media, they are perhaps inherently being manipulated.

White is making a reference to the conspiracy theory, but is not indulging in it. It’s along the lines of calling Hillary Clinton a reptilian.

If I say that coverage of the 9/11 attacks was racist and link that to the popularity of ‘Bush did 9/11’ theories, that is not ‘supporting the mockery of 9/11 survivors’.

But we’re in an atmosphere where you’re equating White’s rudeness with pedophila. Obviously too soon.

All SMG said himself on the topic is that kids who appear in the news are being exploited. poo poo that's straight out of milquetoast analysis like in Bowling for Columbine, it's not a controversial or radical thing to say. SMG flat out called the idea that the kids are crisis actors an absurd conspiracy theory, along the lines of 'Bush did 9/11' or 'Hillary Clinton [is a] reptilian'. He argues (rightly or wrongly I don't know) that Armond White is being misunderstood, not that White's point as other posters have presented it is true. I saw in GBS a dude only got a month for sincerely arguing Hitler was misunderstood.

Free SMG

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 22, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

GonSmithe owns

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pretty sure the probation was a "please stop talking about this" one so fairplay. Just a shame that it was attached to a legit good post.

Also its really weird just how delighted people were to finally be able to condemn Armond White's character as opposed to just his criticism.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

can we at least agree that Robert Downey Jr. is a crisis actor?

the crisis being that marvel movies are bad

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Hell yeah have you seen him in Natural Born Killers

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

After JL the DCEU is in a state of infinite crisis.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Gorn Myson posted:

Pretty sure the probation was a "please stop talking about this" one so fairplay. Just a shame that it was attached to a legit good post.

Also its really weird just how delighted people were to finally be able to condemn Armond White's character as opposed to just his criticism.

On the one hand, I can understand that it can be difficult to criticize someone you've publicly been a fan of (as my avatar may suggest), but there comes a point where the only appropriate response is "yeaaaaaah, gently caress that guy."

OTOH the last few pages were really funny, so I'm glad it all happened.

Regardless, it's only natural to discuss the politics behind an author's work, and a person's character absolutely shapes their politics. AW's critiques have been posted here quite a bit, and for people who have been rubbed the wrong way by his rhetoric I can imagine it's no huge shock that he's got some really nasty opinions under the hood.

If the man's work is fair game to be posted here, then his character is too. It's only natural that some would take a victory lap over it, because again it's really funny.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mr. Apollo posted:

After JL the DCEU is in a state of infinite crisis.

It was in crisis when BvS shambled out and made no sense at all, JL just deepened it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gorn Myson posted:

Please stop talking probations are 6 hours, not 30 days.

This was personal.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Actually the guy huffing his own farts and defending a shithead because he has correct movie opinions is a genius, as he talked about the X-Men

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

On the one hand, I can understand that it can be difficult to criticize someone you've publicly been a fan of (as my avatar may suggest), but there comes a point where the only appropriate response is "yeaaaaaah, gently caress that guy."

OTOH the last few pages were really funny, so I'm glad it all happened.

Regardless, it's only natural to discuss the politics behind an author's work, and a person's character absolutely shapes their politics. AW's critiques have been posted here quite a bit, and for people who have been rubbed the wrong way by his rhetoric I can imagine it's no huge shock that he's got some really nasty opinions under the hood.

If the man's work is fair game to be posted here, then his character is too. It's only natural that some would take a victory lap over it, because again it's really funny.
I've literally read one Armond White review and thats his Black Panther one, which is a movie I won't even see until its out of cinemas anyway so I didn't really have much of an opinion on his writing.

It just astonishes me that anyone got so riled up by his critical work, let alone so invested in what he has to say that they felt genuine delight when he revealed that he was in fact a piece of poo poo. So from that perspective I found it cringe inducing to read back. Its not like White has a major impact on our cultural discourse because the only reason I keep hearing about him is through people that get abnormally angry at him saying "I didn't think this movie was good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

It was in crisis when BvS shambled out and made no sense at all, JL just deepened it

BvS made perfect sense though? :confused: