Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Turkey hit a SAA convoy crossing at Ziyarah

https://twitter.com/JOHTURK1/status/966737159154790402/photo/1

HorrificExistence fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

They are both derived from the same totalitarian stock so that does not surprise me to me honest. I actually that the YPG would throw their lot with the Assadists sooner.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lol thanks Obama.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

icantfindaname posted:

I had a random historical question: How close did Saddam come to losing the Iran Iraq war? If the US hadn’t supported him how likely would have been him being overthrown in a sort of exported Iranian revolution, like if Trotsky had won the Polish-Soviet war and drove all the way to Berlin?

Well by "lose" I'll take to mean Iran would have succeeded in taking Najaf & Karballah.

For that: Not close at all as they failed to claim Basra. Their mechanization was poor and would struggle to maintain their lines even if they did succeed there in a scenario where Iraq lacked the heavy arms coming from abroad. Just look at where they are on a map compared to the border & Tigris and Euphrates.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I thought the Americans were arming both sides, just way more for Saddam? Figured most countries just wanted to watch Iraq and Iran bleed each other, neither achieving any sort of absolute dominance

The biggest way the US armed Iran in the Iran/Iraq war was with all the military support they had given the Shah in the decades before the revolution. Khomeini didn't get much support from anyone. Saddam fought the war like a moron, threatening to kill anyone who retreated, even if a tactical retreat was the right move, which played a big role in giving Iran the upper hand. But the way the war is framed in Iran, with the Iranian people fighting the entire world and winning, is not far from the truth.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lol didn't you get the boot because you were rigging elections too mu-

ehh, the guardian council / supreme leader / security apparatus don't like him very much these days

What I'm saying is that he benefited from that system for years and never had a word to say about it. He's only saying it's bullshit now because it's what people want to hear. Same deal with him attacking reformists from the economic left in the lead up to the last presidential election. It did earn him some approval but I doubt many people trust him any farther than they can throw hi-, wait poo poo he's just a little guy. Well you know what I mean.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the country's going to be using the same aumf generations when all of us are dead and buried.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the country's going to be using the same aumf generations when all of us are dead and buried.

Reminder: this autumn, kids who weren't born when the Afghan War started will be old enough to enlist (17).

As always, The Onion was prescient: https://www.theonion.com/18-year-old-fighting-in-afghanistan-has-9-11-explained-1819573874/amp

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are there any good histories of the iran Iraq war anyone knows? Guess I could ask in the book barn
I'd be interested to know more. Like if the Iraqis were that tactically incompetent was it just a matter of the Iranians being about as crazy + incompetent too? I mean y'all talk about the Saddam no retreat thing but the Iranians did have Suicide waves and stuff, right?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Are there any good histories of the iran Iraq war anyone knows? Guess I could ask in the book barn
I'd be interested to know more. Like if the Iraqis were that tactically incompetent was it just a matter of the Iranians being about as crazy + incompetent too? I mean y'all talk about the Saddam no retreat thing but the Iranians did have Suicide waves and stuff, right?
Someone did a series of effort posts about the Iran-Iraq War in the MilHist thread in A/T, if you want to try and search for them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So what happens when assad and turkey start gassing each other...

Id like bets, US + Turkey or US + Kurds + Assad + Russia

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'll take 'the international community overlooks NATO and NATO backed insurgent warcrimes' thanks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'll take 'the international community overlooks NATO and NATO backed insurgent warcrimes' thanks.

The one universal constant in this uncertain world.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Savy Saracen salad posted:

They are both derived from the same totalitarian stock so that does not surprise me to me honest. I actually that the YPG would throw their lot with the Assadists sooner.

uh yeah what do you even mean by this

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I read this one, and found it ok:

The Longest War: The Iran-Iraq Military Conflict

Its written by an Indian dude. It means his use of language can be a bit odd, so its clear but doesn't flow that well. I like the guy though because he doesn't write from a Western perspective, so you get some different insights once in a while. Its also not a very long read.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Suicide waves are also whenever non-mayo troops attack without sufficient support. If someone tells me the frontal section attack isn’t suicide against an emplacement(without support) isn’t suicidal, I disagree. When you don’t have the appropriate support a lot of modern warfare is suicidal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SoggyBobcat posted:

Someone did a series of effort posts about the Iran-Iraq War in the MilHist thread in A/T, if you want to try and search for them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167
*slowly dies as he starts wading thru page after page of dudes just discussing ww2 tanks* god someone talk about anything other than world wars for more than a post or two

Good point coldwar timewarp...and thanks for the reading tip Roland ill check that out, wanted some non western perspectives. I'll ask book barn too.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump today: "We're there for one reason, we're there to get ISIS and get rid of ISIS and go home. We're not there for any other reason and we've largely accomplished our goal." It doesn't mean anything though, since his administration is just going to ignore him until he gets distracted by a piece of yarn or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4XZzJ12I4&t=1585s

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't really understand how something like leaving troops in Syria indefinitely gets virtually zero press. Is there no opposition to this anywhere?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
TOS-1 and Tochka in action.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/966649888565006336
https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/967104512233230337

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Count Roland posted:

I don't really understand how something like leaving troops in Syria indefinitely gets virtually zero press. Is there no opposition to this anywhere?
Our boys aren't dying and so Americans don't care.

also we have a volunteer military composed mostly of people from lower and middle class families so huge swaths of America have no personal stake in any of our armed conflicts.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Count Roland posted:

we’re simultaneously broken and exhausted, and running around distracted with our hair on fire. also the war in syria so far isn’t really visible in terms of things people care about like american flag draped coffins

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/NorthernStork/status/967058947889926145

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Suicide waves are also whenever non-mayo troops attack without sufficient support. If someone tells me the frontal section attack isn’t suicide against an emplacement(without support) isn’t suicidal, I disagree. When you don’t have the appropriate support a lot of modern warfare is suicidal.

Yeah, and especially early in the war these problems were magnified because the revolution left the Iranian officer Corp in disarray. Western media liked to portray the Iranian leadership as callous leaders sending boys to die in human wave attacks. While a lot of Iranians did die in hopeless attacks, this was more often due to incompetence and disorganization than the result of an intentional strategy. Unfortunately I’ve had a hard time finding good information on this as western researchers have poor access to Iranian records and there’s a lot of political distortion that colors the conflict.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kanine posted:

uh yeah what do you even mean by this

"The oriental mind is inherently authoritarian."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Presenting: The most likely first hotspot for water wars - Egypt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_8X8tbjqjg

Wez
Jul 8, 2006
not a stupid noob

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

"The oriental mind is inherently authoritarian."

Or maybe the PKK and it's offshoots can't escape their Leninist roots.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wez posted:

good

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

Yeah, and especially early in the war these problems were magnified because the revolution left the Iranian officer Corp in disarray. Western media liked to portray the Iranian leadership as callous leaders sending boys to die in human wave attacks. While a lot of Iranians did die in hopeless attacks, this was more often due to incompetence and disorganization than the result of an intentional strategy. Unfortunately I’ve had a hard time finding good information on this as western researchers have poor access to Iranian records and there’s a lot of political distortion that colors the conflict.

What about the waves of kids (or teenagers, whatever) that were sent out? They were given symbolic keys to heaven, because they knew they were being sent to die. From what I've read they weren't even coerced, though of course you could call religious/nationalist brainwashing a form of coercion if you want to.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Polyakov did the effort posts in the MilHist thread, starting here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&userid=185704&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post469000723

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Wow 85% of Cairo’s Nile water comes from the Blue Nile? That’s crazy, I would’ve thought the outlet from Lake Victoria would be more than a small fraction. If that video is accurate anyway and not an Egyptian propaganda piece.

Although not exactly the first water war by a long shot. Just off the top of my head there was also the ultra high altitude space battles between Pakistan and India over controlling the Siachen glacier that forms the source of the Ganges.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Recommending both these as good things to devote a little time to, though I would argue syria as a modern water war, at least for the origins of it.

Grouchio posted:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/muhammadnajem20...90%7Ctwterm%5E1

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Saladman posted:

Although not exactly the first water war by a long shot. Just off the top of my head there was also the ultra high altitude space battles between Pakistan and India over controlling the Siachen glacier that forms the source of the Ganges.

Wait what's this about a space battle?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

Wait what's this about a space battle?

The Siachen Glacier ranges from 3.6 to over 5,7 km height. Fighting on that kind of altitude is a lot like fighting in space, I imagine. Edit: Temperatures can go down to about -50 °C, according to Wikipedia. Yep, that's almost as hostile as space.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 24, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Helicopters have a hard time operating that high up, which makes things interesting.

For a book on the subject of of Himalayan fighting, see War at the Top of the World by Eric Margolis. The author is of the anti-imperialist bend and he gets probably a bit too cozy with the pashtun and pakistani fighters he hangs out with. But I don't think you'll find many other first hand accounts from western journalists. These wars and skirmishes are normally kept pretty quiet by their respective governments.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wez posted:

considering the success of the anarchist-influenced bookchinite/apost revolution in rojava is going i dont think so

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Count Roland posted:

What about the waves of kids (or teenagers, whatever) that were sent out? They were given symbolic keys to heaven, because they knew they were being sent to die. From what I've read they weren't even coerced, though of course you could call religious/nationalist brainwashing a form of coercion if you want to.

A while ago I spent some effort looking into looking into this topic. I was looking for every interview I could find with Iranian soldiers who fought in the war, and read a lot of journalistic pieces written during the war. Many, many western journalists described the golden keys in great detail, what they meant, why they were distributed etc, what they looked like.

Oddly though, no Iranian soldiers ever seemed to mention the keys, nor were there ever any pictures of them. They never came up even in interview's from Saddam's pow camps, where Iranians were rewarded with better food and recreation for talking badly about the revolution to western journalists.

Looking back on the NYtimes articles and many other pieces that mention the keys, in most cases the writer did not see the keys their self. Maybe they heard it from a Russian colleague in Tehran, or they know a guy who knows a guy that swears he saw them distributed in the mosques. Usually these writers were based in Baghdad, and were overtly hostile to the revolutionary government.

Logic of course means we can't prove a negative, that is we can't prove there were no keys. However there is no robust evidence that they ever existed. They were almost certainly a fabrication by inventive writers desperate for something to fill column space. The story is repeated because it seems to incapsulate some greater truth about the callousness and hypocrisy of the Iranian government. You can find it in serious scholarly work looking on google, but in such cases I've never seen it cited. There is no source that is remotely reliable. Marjah Satrapi offers the anecdote in her book Persepolis, however even in that case she hears of the key second hand from the mother of a boy who fights in the war, and she spent many of the war years living in Austria where she could have been exposed to the story by western media, and was not necessarily trying to recount conversations she had had word for word 20 years prior to the book's publication.

I didn't just come to this conclusion on my own, wikipedia makes the same note. For one example of a good interview with an Iranian soldier, there's a Canadian documentary about two veteran immigrants, one Iraqi, one Iranian, who become friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7xJxBuegG4

spoiler alert: The Iranian saved the Iraqi from summary execution after he was captured

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/967401375649927169

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Holy poo poo thank you, if I had to search through anymore of the hundreds of pages of ww2 bullshit I woulda lost my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

A while ago I spent some effort looking into looking into this topic. I was looking for every interview I could find with Iranian soldiers who fought in the war, and read a lot of journalistic pieces written during the war. Many, many western journalists described the golden keys in great detail, what they meant, why they were distributed etc, what they looked like.

Oddly though, no Iranian soldiers ever seemed to mention the keys, nor were there ever any pictures of them. They never came up even in interview's from Saddam's pow camps, where Iranians were rewarded with better food and recreation for talking badly about the revolution to western journalists.

Looking back on the NYtimes articles and many other pieces that mention the keys, in most cases the writer did not see the keys their self. Maybe they heard it from a Russian colleague in Tehran, or they know a guy who knows a guy that swears he saw them distributed in the mosques. Usually these writers were based in Baghdad, and were overtly hostile to the revolutionary government.

Logic of course means we can't prove a negative, that is we can't prove there were no keys. However there is no robust evidence that they ever existed. They were almost certainly a fabrication by inventive writers desperate for something to fill column space. The story is repeated because it seems to incapsulate some greater truth about the callousness and hypocrisy of the Iranian government. You can find it in serious scholarly work looking on google, but in such cases I've never seen it cited. There is no source that is remotely reliable. Marjah Satrapi offers the anecdote in her book Persepolis, however even in that case she hears of the key second hand from the mother of a boy who fights in the war, and she spent many of the war years living in Austria where she could have been exposed to the story by western media, and was not necessarily trying to recount conversations she had had word for word 20 years prior to the book's publication.

I didn't just come to this conclusion on my own, wikipedia makes the same note. For one example of a good interview with an Iranian soldier, there's a Canadian documentary about two veteran immigrants, one Iraqi, one Iranian, who become friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7xJxBuegG4

spoiler alert: The Iranian saved the Iraqi from summary execution after he was captured

Yeah I saw the wiki page too, I read it before I made my post.

I found a PDF of Fisk's Great War for Civilization. These "keys to heaven" are not mentioned, though he makes it clear that key or no key these are true believers. I feel like its worthwhile to quote an entire passage here.

quote:

The Iranians had learned that opposing massed Iraqi armour with poorly
maintained Chieftain tanks was suicidal—the wreckage of dozens of Chieftains
destroyed in the initial battles outside Dezful more than a year earlier still littered
the desert. At Ein Khoosh, I padded round the broken Iraqi tanks for more than
an hour. I noticed one whose severed turret had been blown clean off the base of
the vehicle, landing with its gun barrel intact beside a small field. Around the
turret and the decapitated tank stood a cluster of Iranian troops and peasants, all
holding handkerchiefs over their mouths and noses.

The dead crew were unrecognisable, burnt paper creatures from another planet
who still lay in their positions, the gunner’s body crushed beneath the turret. A
carpet of flies lay upon the scorched armour. An Iranian soldier looked to the sky
and ran his hand briefly downwards over his short beard, a gesture of respect to
God for the bloody victory that He had granted Iran over its enemies. But the
tank itself had not been shelled to destruction—there was not a shell crater in the
area, just a jagged hole in the armour near the turret plates. It had been destroyed
by a hand-launched anti-tank rocket. In the desert, other Iraqi tanks had suffered
an almost identical fate; they had “brewed up” on the battlefield after one pointblank
round.

It was clear that the Iranians had used scarcely any heavy artillery or tanks in
their six-day battle. They simply poured men into the Iraqi lines and caught their
enemies off guard. The Iranians had been experimenting with human-wave
attacks. The Iraqi front line had been overwhelmed by thousands of young men
holding only rocket-propelled grenades and rifles. “The West fought two world
wars and gave us their military manuals,” an Iranian officer smugly remarked to
me. “Now we are going to write tactical manuals for the West to read.” We
noticed the lack of Iranian corpses in the desert, but could not help seeing from
our helicopter small tyre tracks across the sand. Could these be the motorcycles
of the boy soldiers we had heard about, the fourteen-year-olds and their brothers
who were encouraged to wear the sword of martyrdom around their necks as
they drove through the Iraqi minefields to clear them for the infantry, dressed in
heavy winter coats so that their shredded bodies would be held together for
burial in their home villages? Kifner and I asked to see the youngest survivors of
the battle, and the Iranians immediately understood what we wanted.

Under shellfire, they took us to a new Iranian front line of earthen revetments
on the Dusallok Heights and we ran down these trenches like any soldiers of the
1914–18 war. The Iran–Iraq conflict was increasingly coming to resemble the
great mire of death that entombed so many hundreds of thousands on the Somme
and at Verdun. The dugout in which we sought shelter was small and a thick dust
hung in the air. There were weapons on the mud and wooden-framed walls—a
captured Iraqi machine gun and an automatic rifle—and a few steel helmets
piled in a corner. The light from the sandbagged doorway forced its way into the
little bunker, defining the features of the boys inside in two-dimensional
perspective, an Orpen sketch of impending death at the front. There was no
monstrous anger of the guns, only a dull, occasional vibration to indicate that the
Iraqis had not abandoned all their artillery when they retreated from Dezful.

There, however, the parallels ended. For the youngest soldier—who welcomed
us like an excited schoolboy at the entrance—was only fourteen, his voice
unbroken by either fear or manhood. The oldest among them was twenty-one, an
Islamic volunteer from Iran’s “Reconstruction Crusade,” who expounded the
principles of martyrdom to us as the guns boomed distantly away. Martyrdom, I
was made to understand, was a much-discussed subject in this dugout because it
was much witnessed.

Yes, said the fourteen-year-old, two of his friends from Kerman had died in
the battle for Dezful—one his own age and one only a year older. He had cried,
he said, when the authorities delayed his journey to the battle front.
Cried? I
asked. A child cries because he cannot die yet? Were we now to have baby-wars,
not wars which killed babies—we had specialised in them throughout the
twentieth century—but wars in which babies, boys with unbroken voices, went
out to kill? The fourteen-year-old’s comments were incredible and genuine and
terrifying at one and the same time, clearly unstaged, since we had only by
chance chosen his dugout when we took cover from the shellfire outside.

There was no doubt which of these boy soldiers most clearly understood the
ideology of martyrdom inside this claustrophobic bunker of sand and dirt. When
I asked about the apparent willingness of Iranians to die in battle, the soldiers
nodded towards a very young man, bearded and intense with a rifle in his hand,
sitting cross-legged on a dirty rug by the entrance. In the West, he said, it was
difficult— perhaps impossible—to understand Iran’s apparent obsession with
martyrdom. So did he want to die in this war?

The young man spoke loudly, with almost monotone passion, preaching rather
than answering our question. Hassan Qasqari, soldier of the volunteer
Reconstruction Crusade, was a man whose faith went beyond such questions. “It
is impossible for you in the West to understand,” he said. “Martyrdom brings us
closer to God. We do not seek death—but we regard death as a journey from one
form of life to another, and to be martyred while opposing God’s enemies brings
us closer to God. There are two phases to martyrdom: we approach God and we
also remove the obstacles that exist between God and the people. Those who
create obstacles for God in this world are the enemies of God.”

There was no doubt that he identified the Iraqis with these theologically
hostile forces. Indeed, as if on cue from God rather than the army of Saddam
Hussein, there was a loud rumble of artillery and Qasqari raised his index finger
towards heaven. We waited to hear where the shell would fall, fearing that direct
hit that all soldiers prefer not to think about. There was a loud explosion beyond
the trench, just beyond the bunker, the vibration shaking the dugout. Then there
was silence. I could not imagine this speech in an Iraqi dugout. For that matter, I
could not have heard it in any other army. Perhaps a British or American military
padre might talk of religion with this imagination. And then I realised that these
Iranian boy soldiers were all “padres”; they were all priests, all preachers, all
believers, all—now I understood the phrase—“followers of the Imam.”
There
was another pulsation of sound outside in the trench.

Qasqari seemed grateful for the shell-burst. “Our first duty,” he proclaimed,
“is to kill the enemy forces so that God’s order will be everywhere. Becoming a
martyr is not a passive thing. Hossein, the third Imam, killed as many of his
enemies as possible before he was martyred—so we must try to remain alive.” If
we could not understand this, Qasqari explained, it was because the European
Renaissance had done away with religion, no longer paying attention to morality
or ethics, concentrating only upon materialism. There was no stanching this
monologue, no opportunity to transfuse this belief with arguments about
humanity or love. “Europe and the West have confined these issues to the cover
of churches,” Qasqari said. “Western people are like fish in the water; they can
only understand their immediate surroundings. They don’t care about
spirituality.”

He bade us goodbye with no ill will, offering Kifner and me oranges as we left
his dugout for the dangerous, bright sand outside. How should we say goodbye
to them? We looked into their eyes, the eyes of children who were, in their way,
already dead. They had started on their journey. The next shell landed a hundred
metres behind us as we ran the length of the trench, a thunderous explosion of
black and grey smoke that blew part of the roadway into the sky and frightened
us, not so much for our peril but because it put martyrdom into a distinct and
terrible perspective.