Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

um excuse me posted:

How to import laws to the US work if I weren't to use the vehicle for street use? I feel like that would be an awesome autox car.

http://www.importavehicle.info/2016/01/track-car-importing-how-to-import-track.html

No such thing as a 'track car' unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I see racing car, and autox is entirely competitive as per the regulations under SCCA Pro Solo. Getting a hall pass from Honda on the other hand may be tricky.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How could you possibly get one for a street car with a VIN that was sold for street use?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah like, the rules are structured that you can't get a race car allowance for a made-for-street car, which an S660 would be. You'd have an easier time just smuggling one into the country 'cause you'd never get pulled over driving it on the street since it would be a race-only thing. Since so many other people are smuggling in newer than 25 years old cars and titling them and then selling them it shouldn't be hard to smuggle them but not even bother titling the thing.
Or you could start up a museum and import it that way and then take it to the events :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Here's my understanding of your rules: A foreign national can bring pretty much anything into the country with them while they're there, for up to a year, I believe. But it has to be re-exported or scrapped when they leave again.

So could you use a friendly breaker's yard to declare officially as "scrapped" a car brought in by such means (let them have the VIN plates as "proof"), and then use your nonexistent car for racing?

Or you could just import a Beat or Cappuccino legally.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If you bring it in and don’t title it etc... Homeland Security could still turn up and take it away. Because it is not like they are too busy harassing people at airports or deporting kids.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kimbo305 posted:

How could you possibly get one for a street car with a VIN that was sold for street use?

Farm use? :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

That actually might work? Is there some sort of body type restriction on farm use vehicles?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
The two EV concepts they showed look like modernized variants of those cars. Maybe we'll actually get them here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_EV_Concept

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey so Honda has hooked up the US with the release of the Honda S1000 this year at some point which is the S660 but with a larger motor. Don't know anything about the reputability of the site but they claim $20,000 new.

http://hondacars2018.com/2018-honda-s1000

This is extremely my poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Hondacars2018.com" doesn't seem like the most reliable source. If nothing else, if this was really happening it would show up as a '19.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

havelock posted:

The two EV concepts they showed look like modernized variants of those cars. Maybe we'll actually get them here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_EV_Concept

Are you saying these look like the S660? The Sport Concept is inspired by the classic S600, which I guess also influenced the S660.

KakerMix posted:

Since so many other people are smuggling in newer than 25 years old cars and titling them and then selling them it shouldn't be hard to smuggle them but not even bother titling the thing.

It seems to be blase as gently caress to do so now. BaT has that 1997 993 that was GDM and "imported" somehow, and they didn't think twice about having the seller defend that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'm not sure how they did it, but I do know a few people who have GDM vehicles here in the states, shipped back after they were stationed there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
But a 993 or other vehicle that was sold in the US wouldn't necessarily be a problem, as it can be shown (or be converted) to be equivalent to US spec.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I added an additional rental reservation to the trip... A Honda S660. Mid engine turbo 660cc with a 6spd. 64hp. :lol:

Please let me know how it drives pleeeeaseee. I've always wanted to know what they were like but will probably never drive one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Mind if I ask where you're renting it from? My wife and I are heading to Japan on Thursday and I was looking to rent one of these. I think I saw one for rent on Omoren.com but their website seems to be having issues. I was seriously considering importing one (to Australia) and using it as my daily driver but I chickened out.

Yeah, it's Omoren :) Could try emailing them.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Are you saying these look like the S660? The Sport Concept is inspired by the classic S600, which I guess also influenced the S660.

Basically, yeah, another hopeful chance at legally getting a small, sporty honda here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

But a 993 or other vehicle that was sold in the US wouldn't necessarily be a problem, as it can be shown (or be converted) to be equivalent to US spec.

There's still an assload of work and documentation required to do this legally, but yes - in theory that could be done. I think it also involves getting some manufacturer documentation / letters.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, it's Omoren :) Could try emailing them.

Ah, cool. Thanks for that. Their location is just far enough away from our hotel that it's a bit of a pain to get to unfortunately.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's still an assload of work and documentation required to do this legally, but yes - in theory that could be done. I think it also involves getting some manufacturer documentation / letters.

Porsche is really good about this actually. The certification letter for compliance is automated and available through an online portal. Had to get it to import my boxster into Canada and it as actually a surprisingly painless experience all things considered.

There is also a door sticker that certifies the car as meeting certain emission standards and is tied to the vin, so if the car has had the door replaced in the past they will raise a stink at the border and then you'd have to contact Porsche to get a replacement plaque with your vin on it. Thankfully I didn't run into this issue but a family friend did and it took over a day at the border to sort out.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Hondacars2018.com" doesn't seem like the most reliable source. If nothing else, if this was really happening it would show up as a '19.

I've been watching for the S1000 for a while and apart from one article from 2015 there is basically no real news about it: https://www.motoring.com.au/honda-s1000-is-go-50581/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The simple issue is likely just that there isn't a justifiable market for Honda to jump through the hoops of bringing one over, I doubt that there are that many people willing to pay what it'd cost for what is very much a toy car.

I mean, to put it in perspective, when the Cappuccino was new in the UK, once they'd got it brought over and done localisation etc, it was £12k, more than twenty years ago. That's £22.5k today, or $31,500.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Ah, cool. Thanks for that. Their location is just far enough away from our hotel that it's a bit of a pain to get to unfortunately.

Yeah, fortunately they are a short walk from the train. We are staying in DT Akihabara so it's not that big of a deal.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

InitialDave posted:

The simple issue is likely just that there isn't a justifiable market for Honda to jump through the hoops of bringing one over, I doubt that there are that many people willing to pay what it'd cost for what is very much a toy car.

I mean, to put it in perspective, when the Cappuccino was new in the UK, once they'd got it brought over and done localisation etc, it was £12k, more than twenty years ago. That's £22.5k today, or $31,500.

I see the new FIAT's everywhere, so there might be a growing market for roadsters, but even if money were no object, I would have trouble justifying a tiny $32k toy like the S660

And hilariously small convertibles are kinda my thing

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Door Frame posted:

I see the new FIAT's everywhere, so there might be a growing market for roadsters, but even if money were no object, I would have trouble justifying a tiny $32k toy like the S660

And hilariously small convertibles are kinda my thing

So spend ~6k or so on a Honda Beat! It's essentially the same size and HP as the S660.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

jamal posted:

I've driven it a few times and it's nuts. It used to be SP engineering's drag car and I think made something like 900whp at one point. Doesn't do that on pump gas, and takes awhile to get going, but still, hoooly gently caress. Look at this drat turbo:

I've seen bigger.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Back when I was reverse engineering a turbo because precision turbo were being jackasses and not giving me drawings of their stuff.

Rated for 2000 hp.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KakerMix posted:

So spend ~6k or so on a Honda Beat! It's essentially the same size and HP as the S660.

Because if I buy another hilariously small convertible, my fiance may actually kill me this time. I've wanted a cappuccino for nearly a decade, but for I must wait

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:negative:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does that mean it didn't sell?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kimbo305 posted:

Does that mean it didn't sell?

Yeah, this is a new listing. Looks like someone decided to wipe it down to help it sell. Now it's just a tiny white van when before it was special.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I get that the road grime from 20+ years of being a courier truck in Japan was pretty endearing, but I think if it had a proper wash and cut'n'polish it would come up really nicely.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

I get that the road grime from 20+ years of being a courier truck in Japan was pretty endearing, but I think if it had a proper wash and cut'n'polish it would come up really nicely.

But you can't fake patina.

It had it, now it's gone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it comes off with a hose, it's not patina it's just dust and mildew.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

xzzy posted:

If it comes off with a hose, it's not patina it's just dust and mildew.

It's a survivor rat rod barn find, and no lowballers, I know what I got.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

But you can't fake patina.

It had it, now it's gone.

But it didn't? It had road grime and filth. You're not looking at rust, you're just looking at a cream-coloured van that had literally never been washed and driven for decades in a highly polluted area.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Obviously you leave it as it was, clear coat it, then drive to VW meets and thumb your nose at them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It looked cool as gently caress before it was washed :/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

But it didn't? It had road grime and filth. You're not looking at rust, you're just looking at a cream-coloured van that had literally never been washed and driven for decades in a highly polluted area.

Patina isn't necessarily rust.

I would imagine that thing came out of a coal mine or something of that nature and it took more than a hose to get it to where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Patina isn't necessarily rust.

I would imagine that thing came out of a coal mine or something of that nature and it took more than a hose to get it to where it is.

Yeah I guess you're right about patina, I've always just used it as a term for oxidation on metals that didn't really come under the term "rust".

But I disagree it needed any special circumstances to form a coating like that. Decades of driving around regular roads and never getting washed would be plenty. It's one of those things where people who treat their car as an appliance don't take any care to keep it clean and it builds up and up.