Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Brawnfire posted:

Is there a gun control allegory episode?

Well, you can view TOS episode A Private Little War as just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm not saying there's only one valid allegorical reading of A Private Little War, but that isn't it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, I'm not bothering to check it out for the same reason. It's hard to give a show a fair chance when you want to see the main character punched in his stupid face before you've even started watching.

He's really good for his role in the Orville, he's a decent actor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

He's really good for his role in the Orville, he's a decent actor.

Agreed. The part was written as decent captain but goofy dad jokes that fall flat and it really works.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
But, I don't like his nose. It offends my sensibilities as much as this episode of Family Guy from 2004, which this show is nothing like but I don't know that since I can't stand his stupid face.

Now, let's make fun of Trekkies because they hate things for stupid reasons, which we do not. We need posts to make us go.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

We need posts to make us go.

new thread title

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Tighclops posted:

But, I don't like his nose. It offends my sensibilities as much as this episode of Family Guy from 2004, which this show is nothing like but I don't know that since I can't stand his stupid face.

Now, let's make fun of Trekkies because they hate things for stupid reasons, which we do not. We need posts to make us go.
Wait. When did Seth MacFarlane end his fixation on Asians?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Wait. When did Seth MacFarlane end his fixation on Asians?

Is this a real thing that exists or is it one of those things people say is real like gods or moderate conservatives

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Like the highest praise people can offer is saying it’s a comedy with unfunny jokes and recycled TNG plots and you have to put up with Seth Macfarlane as the lead.

Why wouldn’t I just watch TNG instead if I want to wallow in nostalgia, that way I get Patrick Stewart as the lead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Then don't watch it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was my plan.

Anyway, back to Star Trek. Was the thing about Vulcans finding human body smell offensive an Enterprise invention? I don’t remember Spock ever mentioning it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Most of the obvious comedy seemed to drop off after the first few episodes though? I mean yeah Captain Dad Joke still cracks the occasional wise and the Helm Dudes are coworkers that enjoy their job and working together but I'm 99% sure the first couple of episodes were written specifically to give the network execs who wanted gee golly jeepers to do the funny a quick wristy and then dive into the deeper poo poo while they were in their post-orgasmic glow.

e: first season was good, next season apparently isn't gonna be a comedy so you're all welcome, now let's talk about our favourite theories on the mirror universe forced orgasm mushroom man hyperdrive

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Like the highest praise people can offer is saying it’s a comedy with unfunny jokes and recycled TNG plots and you have to put up with Seth Macfarlane as the lead.

lmao

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I bet all the conversations that ended with that faint praise started with you saying you hated it because you hate Family Guy

Here's my earnest praise of The Orville: it's not a rehash of TNG, it's more TNG. It's a show with high concept sci fi where the characters aren't willing to compromise their morality to Get the Job Done and make Hard Choices. The characters are all likeable and enjoyable (yes, even Seth's), moreso than any actual star trek imo. Starting in the second half ish the humor hits its stride and the show is legitimately funny, but it isn't a comedy. Its a sci fi show that isn't afraid to find humor in the frankly ridiculous situations that show up in the genre.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I couldn't really get into The Orville after the pheremone rape episode, doubly so after the main cast set up a pair of aliens who hate each other for pheremone rape while acting as if this is somehow a good idea that can't possibly lead to two alien empires hating them for being pheremone rapists.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Why do people keep equating hating Seth MacFarlane with just hating Family Guy?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I bet all the conversations that ended with that faint praise started with you saying you hated it because you hate Family Guy

Here's my earnest praise of The Orville: it's not a rehash of TNG, it's more TNG. It's a show with high concept sci fi where the characters aren't willing to compromise their morality to Get the Job Done and make Hard Choices. The characters are all likeable and enjoyable (yes, even Seth's), moreso than any actual star trek imo. Starting in the second half ish the humor hits its stride and the show is legitimately funny, but it isn't a comedy. Its a sci fi show that isn't afraid to find humor in the frankly ridiculous situations that show up in the genre.

Yeah I came here to post this because it's basically true. The Orville is an earnest Star Trek show with the registry numbers filed off and anybody who claims to like Star Trek but won't give this show a chance just because herf derf fumbly guy man involved! is doing themselves a disservice. Not every episode is perfect (what show is?) but I'll take it over 90's comic book-style edgelord nonsense any day of the week.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Some people like Trek for moralistic Sci-Fi, some people like Trek because 'I Remember That!' and explosions.
Orville for the first group, STD for the second.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I don't know if anyone here follows the YouTube channel Movie Nights, but the host has taken up watching this show, and she's posting videos on some of the worst episodes.

Today, she uploaded the video for "Threshold" from ST:VOY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYt-OI7LlTk

And if the host is an active member of this thread... sorry I didn't look up your name. And if you announced that you're releasing these videos... well, sorry for missing that, too. And if I'm literally the last one to realize the above two points... hooray! I'm not early to the party for once! I hate that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Some people like Trek for moralistic Sci-Fi, some people like Trek because 'I Remember That!' and explosions.

That's funny because I'm pretty the Orville has a higher kill count than the Discovery too, certainly a more impressive one.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

The thing is even if all you're looking for is pew pew, STD sucks at that too

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

McSpanky posted:

That's funny because I'm pretty the Orville has a higher kill count than the Discovery too, certainly a more impressive one.

Oh yeah, you're right, I forgot about that part where Gordon ate someone.

No, the Bortus/Yaphet thing doesnt count, that was a prank.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

McSpanky posted:

Does it? I mean, on Discovery, on the Battle of the Binary Stars, at least 7 Starfleet ships are destroyed and some Klingon ones. On Orville, as far as I know, the only largescale deaths, not counting the planet that plague hit before the ship got there are the Krill ship destroyed in the pilot by the rapidly growing evergreen, and the adults on the Krill ship that Mercer and Gordon sabotage to keep from destroying a Union colony. Individuals die in other episodes (the physicist who's rapidly aged, the survivalist and cannibals that are killed on plague planet, dissidents on the generation ship, the Pope of the Church of Kelly, etc), but there aren't a lot of largescale deaths.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It is... green.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Roadie posted:

I couldn't really get into The Orville after the pheremone rape episode, doubly so after the main cast set up a pair of aliens who hate each other for pheremone rape while acting as if this is somehow a good idea that can't possibly lead to two alien empires hating them for being pheremone rapists.

I like The Orville, but I really hope they do not have any more episodes like this. If it'd been the first episode I would have quit faster than I quit Discovery.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 39 hours!)

A Plot: Discovery is called to observe a pre-warp drive culture that is experimenting with mycelial power that resembles what the TE was using and find that MU Georgiou has been selling data to any given bidder.

B Plot: Stamets further integrates with the mycelial network and discovers a version of Discovery staffed solely by his alts form other universes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
STD: Enter the Stametsverse

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 39 hours!)

The Bloop posted:

Shipful of Stamets, 1 Culber.

Let the games begin!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Last night I dreamed I was watching a really dark Star Trek type show. Not just gritty like Discovery, but genuinely nihilistic and ironic like the Twilight Zone or Black Mirror on a cosmic scale. One segment had a giant creature accidentally bring an alternate dimension version of Earth into our solar system, but it appeared too close to our planet so the creature had to push it away but it entered unstable orbit with Mars and caused a Theia collision cataclysm that killed 6 billion people and the creature just shrugged and said "whoops, well we have a spare anyway lol"

The other one I remember was about these three star pilots who had been stranded in a part of their universe so far away from home they could never get back, and they were unbearably homesick, but they had a mission to do (can't remember the details). Part of the mission required them to pass repeatedly through a region of "ultrablack" space like a black hole you could escape, and it always gave them amnesia of what they saw but they figured it must have been terrifying because they always had tears on their face when they reemerged. Then it showed one of them going in through their perspective and inside the blackness was this beautiful shining civilization made of pure starlight, nothing threatening about it, and you realize that it was their home that they had been exiled from and part of their mission was not knowing that

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 1, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

skasion posted:

I'm not saying there's only one valid allegorical reading of A Private Little War, but that isn't it.

I mean, it's pretty obviously a cold war analogy, and it probably would have been a very different episode if it had been written after the fall of saigon. It's also extremely not a good episode.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I mean, it's pretty obviously a cold war analogy, and it probably would have been a very different episode if it had been written after the fall of saigon. It's also extremely not a good episode.

Aw, I like it. It’s TOS in fine b-movie mode. Slut witches are going to ensorcel your menfolk with space weed and steal their guns! The only moral proxy war is my proxy war! Chapel and Dr M’Benga combining to slap the poo poo out of Spock! That gorilla suit is a thing of wonder too.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Ok, I'll concede the gorilla suit, that thing is boss as gently caress

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Kirk had better be careful, because that thing sure does look horny!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

"What if we gave this pretty great albino gorilla yeti monster a cute little kitty-cat tail?"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I finally got around to watching Beyond. It wasn't the best movie ever or anything, but I still enjoyed it.

GIANT GREEN SPACE HAND

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The Bloop posted:

STD: The Ship Has A Fungus

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah so Cogenitor.

A third-gendered sex slave whom Trip taught to read appeals to Archer for asylum, is denied because the slavers have become good buddies with Archer and let him fly their sweet solar shuttle, then when the slave kills itself in despair after being sent back to a hopeless life of sex-trafficked slavery, Archer calls Trip into his office and dresses him down "that's why you don't teach slaves to read, now not only has a person died because of you, but also that sweet couple has to put off having a kid because they're out a perfectly good sex slave!"

I mean I guess I shouldn't expect more from the crew of the USS Your Genetic Disease Is Nature's Way Of Telling You Your Species Is Inferior And Should Be Expunged, but holy christ I need a shower after this one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there were some interesting ideas but all the proto-prime-directive poo poo in ENT is painful.

As poo poo as the PD is later on, it seems it was an improvement over what came before.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah so Cogenitor.

A third-gendered sex slave whom Trip taught to read appeals to Archer for asylum, is denied because the slavers have become good buddies with Archer and let him fly their sweet solar shuttle, then when the slave kills itself in despair after being sent back to a hopeless life of sex-trafficked slavery, Archer calls Trip into his office and dresses him down "that's why you don't teach slaves to read, now not only has a person died because of you, but also that sweet couple has to put off having a kid because they're out a perfectly good sex slave!"

I mean I guess I shouldn't expect more from the crew of the USS Your Genetic Disease Is Nature's Way Of Telling You Your Species Is Inferior And Should Be Expunged, but holy christ I need a shower after this one.

The parallel universe where Enterprise is a show produced in the Confederate States of America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I always liked "Cogenitor" as one of those "reality check" episodes that partially deconstructs not the ideology of Trek itself, but the sometimes dubious methods used by Starfleet. You don't just march into a completely alien culture and tell them how wrong they are and change everything in a matter of days by giving an inspiring speech. No matter how right you are, that would simply not work.

It probably looks bad in hindsight because the optimism / gritty realism ratio of TV has flipped, but at the time it was a really compelling deviation from the norm.