Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I went back and am listening to The Cosmic Cornucopia. I guess this is a comp of their other albums?

Yes, it's just all 3 albums played one after the other. It starts with the second and ends with the first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

il_cornuto posted:

Yes, it's just all 3 albums played one after the other. It starts with the second and ends with the first though.

It's a remaster of their first 3 albums all fitted together in a way that makes more sense, they're not in close to the original order but work as sort of a concept album.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah it’s pretty jarring and I wish Apple Music just had the normal albums but whatever this works. It’s going to be fun working through these for a little while. It’s good stuff but the new music sounds wayyyy improved to me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah it’s pretty jarring and I wish Apple Music just had the normal albums but whatever this works. It’s going to be fun working through these for a little while. It’s good stuff but the new music sounds wayyyy improved to me.

I personally really like the way they lined all the songs up for Cosmic Cornucopia but I can see why a new listener might think its a little weird.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hopterque posted:

I personally really like the way they lined all the songs up for Cosmic Cornucopia but I can see why a new listener might think its a little weird.

There’s nothing wrong with it, I’m just an album guy and like to get the whole direct experience and keep coming back to it. It’s also like 2 and a half hours long. I’m not going to bother tracking down the originals though so I’ll learn to appreciate it how it is.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Welp, just ponied up $163 each (lol) to go see Metallica with the wife in December (lol). I've seen them like 5 times by now and she's never seen em. Old as dirt, but still put on a good show, despite James' ever-dwindling voice.

They mostly play all the good old poo poo. Solid show. 163 is pretty expensive though. Hope they are close to the front.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

hopterque posted:

It's a remaster of their first 3 albums all fitted together in a way that makes more sense, they're not in close to the original order but work as sort of a concept album.

Huh, my mistake, I don't know where I got that idea. Now I'm interested in actually listening to it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

There’s nothing wrong with it, I’m just an album guy and like to get the whole direct experience and keep coming back to it. It’s also like 2 and a half hours long. I’m not going to bother tracking down the originals though so I’ll learn to appreciate it how it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZg_l44bfGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kni1H2idKOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWkMJ9uVPwk

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Pretty sure all their stuff is on bandcamp

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

hopterque posted:

Everyone's favorite (lol) site metalsucks with the Slugdge album premier:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/02/26/exclusive-full-album-premiere-slugdges-esoteric-malacology/

god drat this is great

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i aint feeling it, soudns too much like SYL and i hate that guy.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

i aint feeling it, soudns too much like SYL and i hate that guy.

Yeah, not a fan of the SYL dude either, but this really does it for me.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

As a big fan of SYL and Slugdge I have to say I think they sound very different and wouldn't have even considered comparing them. I'm curious who else you think sound like SYL and I'm going to guess it includes Between the Buried and Me, Anaal Nathrakh and Meshuggah.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 27, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Haven't listened to the new one but the previous album reminded me of Mithras without the annoying production.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Malaria posted:

They mostly play all the good old poo poo. Solid show. 163 is pretty expensive though. Hope they are close to the front.

Yeah I saw them on their... whatever their last album is called tour. Handful of songs off that album, then mostly classics. It was rad.

I'm in the lower rows of the upper bowl. Lower bowl is $3-400. :lol:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

As a big fan of SYL and Slugdge I have to say I think they sound very different and wouldn't have even considered comparing them. I'm curious who else you think sound like SYL and I'm going to guess it includes Between the Buried and Me, Anaal Nathrakh and Meshuggah.

idk, i get the same vibe... like, gojira, SYL, the ocean & bands like that. super polished progressive death metal-y but not quite, only these guys throw in some high on fire as well i guess.

i'll get back to listening to obscure industrial and lofi bm now, hah

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 28, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

Whats your fav obscure industrial band friend

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

A human heart posted:

Whats your fav obscure industrial band friend

been on a real puce mary and chu ishikawa kick lately. neither are bands but eh. also not metal.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

Dyna Soar posted:

idk, i get the same vibe... like, gojira, SYL & bands like that. super polished death metal-y but not quite, only these guys throw in some high on fire as well i guess.

you are loving deaf or autistic

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

saviro posted:

someone got up on the wrong foot lol

another thing that puts me off is the ironic song titles. transilvanian fungus and salt thrower, really? gently caress off with that poo poo

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

another thing that puts me off is the ironic song titles. transilvanian fungus and salt thrower, really? gently caress off with that poo poo
Stupid parody song titles are awesome, gently caress you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ieu3SJIJ-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epGbUyIzWyo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm sorry you can't appreciate comedy in the very serious genre of heavy metal.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i can when it's funny! like, hatebeak is funny. anal oval office is funny. that music on the other hand sounds very serious.

anyway i didn't mean to rain on your parade, just not my cup of tea. here's some gorguts as a gesture of peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7nb-idmdI

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 28, 2018

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
slugdge loving rules

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

saviro posted:

I could be way off base here but I feel like an autistic metal fan would probably be really good at categorising metal bands

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dyna Soar posted:

idk, i get the same vibe... like, gojira, SYL, the ocean & bands like that. super polished progressive death metal-y but not quite, only these guys throw in some high on fire as well i guess.

I get what you mean. I don’t think they sound exactly like those bands a lot but I get it. It’s like the proggy death metal version of that kind of sound, particularly SYL

saviro posted:

Be nice

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

I could be way off base here but I feel like an autistic metal fan would probably be really good at categorising metal bands

Pretty sure we're all already autistic for being able to distinguish between the top level metal subgenres.

Everyone else in the world rationally terms it "noise."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Non Serviam posted:

I have to send some questions to Frost from Satyricon. Anyone has anything to ask?

What's his favorite moment from the simpsons?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Armed kick rear end and their new album has Ben Koller on it.

I just re-listened to Untitled and I liked it, I listened on my good headphones this time though instead of in my car with the windows down.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

been on a real puce mary and chu ishikawa kick lately. neither are bands but eh. also not metal.

make an cool industrial/noise thread for bros and i'll post in it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A human heart posted:

Me too but not much

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

A human heart posted:

eh, idk... i def. wouldn't mind a topic on noise, dark ambient, PE and post / death industrial and other experimental electronic stuff but there's already an industrial thread and ppl mostly talk about EBM, synthwave and more mainstream stuff. i'd have to narrow it down to such a degree that there wouldn't probably be enough people on this board who'd be interested

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Re: Metallica Tix - I shelled out about $450 for 4 tickets in the 400 level of Suntrust Park, however it was really good because we all had seats and there was a beer vendor directly behind us.

I mean gently caress, it's expensive, but it was super worth it. My parents STILL talk about that Metallica show from last summer.

Kind of funny though, my mom and dad left before the encore but I wanted to stay. I was so shitfaced that she was worried about me making it back to the car and my dad was like "look this ain't the first time the boy's been stumbling drunk" and just took off.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dyna Soar posted:

eh, idk... i def. wouldn't mind a topic on noise, dark ambient, PE and post / death industrial and other experimental electronic stuff but there's already an industrial thread and ppl mostly talk about EBM, synthwave and more mainstream stuff. i'd have to narrow it down to such a degree that there wouldn't probably be enough people on this board who'd be interested

It’s worth a try, there seem to be a bunch of people in phiz who know what’s going on but there’s a little too much pretentious irony for me.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I saw Metallica 4 times from the late 80s to the mid-90s. Including the infamous GN'R tour in '92. I just prefer to remember them that way.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Unfortunately I missed being born in time enough to see that by about 20 years.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
A friend of mine paid about $450 for two VIP tickets in the second section of seats, I can't even imagine paying for that without being GA. If I'm going to a metal concert I need to mosh

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Taake cancelled his tour: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/taake-officially-cancel-tour-address-talib-kweli-and-witch-hunts-in-statement/

We're on the side of Taake when it comes to this controversy, right? I think Hoest's previous explanations over the years about the swastika and anti-Muslim lyrics makes sense, but I definitely think he's stupid for painting it on himself back then. An easy way to go through life is by not being near a swastika. Please inform me if I'm wrong about my interpretation.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Taake cancelled his tour: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/taake-officially-cancel-tour-address-talib-kweli-and-witch-hunts-in-statement/

We're on the side of Taake when it comes to this controversy, right? I think Hoest's previous explanations over the years about the swastika and anti-Muslim lyrics makes sense, but I definitely think he's stupid for painting it on himself back then. An easy way to go through life is by not being near a swastika. Please inform me if I'm wrong about my interpretation.

I understand being mad about your tour being cancelled but you don't get to be provocative and then have a meltdown when you provoke people. Antifa does not actually have any control over art. They aren't even an organization.

I don't think Hoest is a Nazi but like many black metal musicians I do think he's an edgelord dumbass and I can't bring myself to give a poo poo if he reaps what he sows.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

I think Hoest's previous explanations over the years about the swastika and anti-Muslim lyrics makes sense, but I definitely think he's stupid for painting it on himself back then.

i'd like to hear this explanation lol. is it something else than "we were just trying to cause controversy" or "we are against all religions, islam included"?

personally i think if you're in a black metal band that flirts with nazism, racism, homophobia or misogyny maybe you should just accept the fact that your band playing in mainstream venues will cause controversy and also just accept the fact that you most likely cannot tour like a regular band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Metal and punk have been using swastikas for shock value since the Sex Pistols. It's nothing new.

I think in the modern political climate it is a bad idea to go on stage with a swastika for shock value, but I don't think Hoest is a Nazi.

I mean didn't that dude from Emperor literally kill a guy for being gay? And Emperor still plays. Black metal has a long history of doing messed up stuff.

If you want to take political action do it against people who actually pose a threat to your idealogy, not some Norwegian dude who likes to wear makeup and scream over blast beats.

Just my two cents.