Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Why exactly doesn't the same thing apply to Limsan pirates contrasting historical reality to the modern-day romanticized image in pre-2.4 writing to you then?

Because the MSQ and other quests involving Limsa Lominsa aren't about a subject where sexual violence is especially relevant compared to Ala Mhigo, an imperial colony where sexual violence is used as a means of control and humiliation. It's the same reason why I think it's fine for a game like Fallout: New Vegas to include it in its narrative: because the game is about a subject ("War is hell"/"War never changes") in which sexual violence has been an element throughout history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thundarr posted:

And IIRC it's implied pretty strongly that Gaius and Livia were an item but in a less than emotionally healthy way.

Yeah, he was her adoptive father, but also her... y'know.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Thundarr posted:

And IIRC it's implied pretty strongly that Gaius and Livia were an item but in a less than emotionally healthy way.
In one cutscene after giving out orders, Gaius says to her, "My quarters, one hour." so I think at that point we go past implied and into outright stated.

And given how he's her surrogate/adopted father it makes me disregard everyone who tries to suggest that Gaius was the good Garlean (we all know that it's actually Regula).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ActionZero posted:

In one cutscene after giving out orders, Gaius says to her, "My quarters, one hour." so I think at that point we go past implied and into outright stated.

And given how he's her surrogate/adopted father it makes me disregard everyone who tries to suggest that Gaius was the good Garlean (we all know that it's actually Regula).

So far (I'm still chewing through 2.X ARR), I'd call Gaius the competent Garlean, not the good one.

2.X is making me want to burn Ul'dah down to the bedrock as it is - including a big bit from finishing the ARR Hildibrand storyline.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius' only good point is that he's not a genocidal maniac, but that hardly compensates for him being a patronizing rear end in a top hat. Aside from Cid, the friendliest true-blue Garlean you get is Nero, and your intro to him is the dude executing someone in cold blood.

Cythereal posted:

So far (I'm still chewing through 2.X ARR), I'd call Gaius the competent Garlean, not the good one.

2.X is making me want to burn Ul'dah down to the bedrock as it is - including a big bit from finishing the ARR Hildibrand storyline.

It's made abundantly clear throughout most of the MSQ and several class/job quests that all three of the city states have got serious problems: Ul'Dah's an ultracapitalist nightmare city, Gridania is controlled entirely by what amount to eldritch horrors that arbitrarily decide who lives and who dies, and Limsa Lominsa is running roughshod over its neighboring beast tribes and is barely being held together by Merlwyb through sheer force of will.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do we ever actually meet an elemental? They’re important to the plot, but I don’t think I’ve ever physically seen one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Do we ever actually meet an elemental? They’re important to the plot, but I don’t think I’ve ever physically seen one.

Unless there's something in the WHM quests post-50 I don't know about, the best you get is the Padjals speaking for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

It's made abundantly clear throughout most of the MSQ and several class/job quests that all three of the city states have got serious problems: Ul'Dah's an ultracapitalist nightmare city, Gridania is controlled entirely by what amount to eldritch horrors that arbitrarily decide who lives and who dies, and Limsa Lominsa is running roughshod over its neighboring beast tribes and is barely being held together by Merlwyb through sheer force of will.

Well, Merlwyb also has the advantage of really competent and deeply loyal underlings like Mistbeard and the rogues' guild stabbing anyone who looks like they'll cause trouble.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

Unless there's something in the WHM quests post-50 I don't know about, the best you get is the Padjals speaking for them.

:tinfoil: The elementals don’t exist - they’re just a cover story for an ancient conspiracy of fantastically powerful Hyur mutants called Padjals. :tinfoil:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vermain posted:

Because the MSQ and other quests involving Limsa Lominsa aren't about a subject where sexual violence is especially relevant compared to Ala Mhigo, an imperial colony where sexual violence is used as a means of control and humiliation.
Counterpoint to that last part: In Ala Ghiri there's an elaborate sidequest chain about the Alliance wanting to get their hands on an Imperial Officer for intel and etc. but he's not forthcoming and the citizens of Ala Ghiri are actively helping him stay hidden.
Said citizens include several 'local beauties' who are helping him because, to paraphrase from memory: 'He's nice and when his soldier's weren't nice he punished them.'

Sex happens. It's not always violent, nor is it always about control and humiliation.

Vermain posted:

Heavensward and Stormblood both treated the subject with an appropriate level of maturity.
This statement cracks me up. There is no universal 'appropriate level of maturity' because some people have absolutely 0 tolerance for this stuff. poo poo happens, we all agree it's poo poo, don't pass it along.

Cythereal posted:

FF14's misogynistic undertones have bothered me for a while, but this is just gratuitous.
Last year's summer event was explicitly about oggling bikini-clad npc's on Gegejuru's man-made island. A failure condition for one of the quests was oggling the dudes that were getting in the way of your view of the babes and who were all doing the various male /flex poses.

That's when FF14 is gratuitous.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Darth Walrus posted:

You don't in 2.0+ but I think they made some 1.0 appearances.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dalamud’s fall and bahamut loving things up weakened the elementals greatly. It’ll be some time before they actually have power enough to do anything meaningful again.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You don't in 2.0+ but I think they made some 1.0 appearances.

Ascians too (in a non-human form), although who knows what's been retconned at this point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is no universal 'appropriate level of maturity' because some people have absolutely 0 tolerance for this stuff.

There will always be people who have no tolerance for a particular subject within a work of fiction, and that's fine. I don't think that automatically excludes discussing when and how including a particular subject in a work of fiction - especially traumatic subjects like sexual violence, suicide, and murder - can be done in a mature way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dalamud’s fall and bahamut loving things up weakened the elementals greatly. It’ll be some time before they actually have power enough to do anything meaningful again.

Playing through the game as a new player, this is specifically mentioned in a few CNJ and WHM quests. A lot of the quests you deal with in Gridania like the poachers are poo poo the elementals would normally deal with themselves, but they're too weak from the Calamity to do anything about it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
IIRC it's not that the elementals deal with the poachers or anything. It's that they'll enact collective punishment if it isn't dealt with. Previous inhabitants were driven out when they started going against the wishes of the Elementals. Since the Calamity, it doesn't seem like that elementals are quite as capable as previously but the Gridanians certainly don't want to piss them off. Just because they won't or can't do anything now doesn't mean that'll continue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Argas posted:

IIRC it's not that the elementals deal with the poachers or anything. It's that they'll enact collective punishment if it isn't dealt with. Previous inhabitants were driven out when they started going against the wishes of the Elementals. Since the Calamity, it doesn't seem like that elementals are quite as capable as previously but the Gridanians certainly don't want to piss them off. Just because they won't or can't do anything now doesn't mean that'll continue.

Elementals used to be able to just instantly vaporize people. They’re barely strong enough right to manifest in corporeal form. Before they got jacked up they absolutely were able to and did hand out individual punishment.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Elementals used to be able to just instantly vaporize people. They’re barely strong enough right to manifest in corporeal form. Before they got jacked up they absolutely were able to and did hand out individual punishment.

They usually didn't stop at individual.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The quest I'm doing right now is giving me a long panty shot on a female NPC bad guy as she rants about how she had to steal and prostitute herself to survive, the camera positioned to look straight up her skirt as she sits on the ground.

That sounds vaguely familiar. What's that from?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That sounds vaguely familiar. What's that from?

2.X during the Crystal Braves storyline when you confront the mole in the Immortal Flames after she escapes from prison, in north Thanalan. Her suit of "armor" includes a skirt, and in the cutscene after beating her where she's sitting on the ground the camera points straight up her skirt as she rants about how hard her life has been including selling her body to survive because of course she did.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://store.na.square-enix.com/FFXIVMarchSale

50% off complete edition.

(As usual, one should never buy the game off Steam, because then it locks you into buying the expansions only through steam, which means no heavy discounts from GMG or Amazon or the like. Not even if you've got close to $500 in steam credit from selling shiny dota pixels, because once you stop and that's gone, you're still stuck buying expansions at full price or some poo poo like 10% off like me.)

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yep, the elementals were quite happy to blow up anything that poked its head above ground in the Twelveswood for a long time. And they tried to blow up anyone below ground too, which is why the Deepcroft and Palace of the Dead are full of traps and sigils and such.

IIRC, the only reason anyone can poke their heads in the Twelveswood is due to a combination of Calamity and the Padjal, for all intents and purposes, getting the Guardian Tree really drunk.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Yep, the elementals were quite happy to blow up anything that poked its head above ground in the Twelveswood for a long time. And they tried to blow up anyone below ground too, which is why the Deepcroft and Palace of the Dead are full of traps and sigils and such.

IIRC, the only reason anyone can poke their heads in the Twelveswood is due to a combination of Calamity and the Padjal, for all intents and purposes, getting the Guardian Tree really drunk.

Jeez, living there seems to be quite the gamble

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vermain posted:

Gaius' only good point is that he's not a genocidal maniac, but that hardly compensates for him being a patronizing rear end in a top hat. Aside from Cid, the friendliest true-blue Garlean you get is Nero, and your intro to him is the dude executing someone in cold blood.

Excuse you. Lucia exists. :colbert:

Cythereal posted:

2.X during the Crystal Braves storyline when you confront the mole in the Immortal Flames after she escapes from prison, in north Thanalan. Her suit of "armor" includes a skirt, and in the cutscene after beating her where she's sitting on the ground the camera points straight up her skirt as she rants about how hard her life has been including selling her body to survive because of course she did.

Oh right, "The Ivy".

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cythereal posted:

See also Ultros. I did not find "pervy octopus keeps propositioning women and making tentacle sex jokes" funny, I just found it gross and juvenile.

You're not wrong but that was Ultros' schtick all the way back in FF6 and there isn't really much more to him beyond that and fighting in an arena, which they also carried over. Is this a reasonable argument against picking Ultros as your dumb joke character in the dumb joke questline? Ehhh I'd say yes.

On the whole I think FF14 is usually fairly decent about how it approaches that kind of subject matter. I would generally prefer it didn't approach it at all, but since it does, there aren't really any instances that stand out to me as particularly egregious.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I think ULtros gets a bit of a pass for being 1) introduced mainly for nostalgia bait, 2) pretty clearly isn't meant to be serious, and 3) consistently gets dunked on by anyone remotely heroic. Still gross, but more on the level of fat chocobo being kind of gross rather than "these female NPCs were sold into sexual slavery" gross.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://store.na.square-enix.com/FFXIVMarchSale

50% off complete edition.

(As usual, one should never buy the game off Steam, because then it locks you into buying the expansions only through steam, which means no heavy discounts from GMG or Amazon or the like. Not even if you've got close to $500 in steam credit from selling shiny dota pixels, because once you stop and that's gone, you're still stuck buying expansions at full price or some poo poo like 10% off like me.)

Yeah I have the Steam version (because I got the game through being gifted ARR and HW through Steam) and definitely wouldn't recommend to anyone actually buying it through there.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Finally got our Guardian clear on the 5th week of progression, bringing him down 3 seconds before EXTERMINATION SEQUENCE was set to go off.

Seriously I'm so much happier with this fight than with Halicarnassus. That fight just consistently pissed me off, on Guardian wipes I just laugh and talk with the team on what to fix for next attempt.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know what's fun for Leveling Roulette?

Getting Sohm Al and wiping eight times because the Healer runs into every AOE attack. :shepicide:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

First, healers just needed to heal.

Then you degenerates wanted them to heal and DPS.

Now you want them to heal, DPS, and avoid AOEs? This is a dangerous slippery slope we're on!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Level 60 SAM quest. :smith:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Level 60 SAM quest. :smith:

You have made your master proud :unsmith:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's probably not super important since being optimal doesn't matter, but I've been leveling blm and it seems to have a lot of skills that don't get used much. I'm ~35 and I was curious if there was a writeup on how the rotation changes as you level, because I feel like I'm missing something.

Rn I'm doing f3, f1, thunder (I don't know when to use this but I feel like as soon as I have 2 fire gauge ticks its good), f1 until I barely have enough to cast b3, b3, b1 until mana full, restart.

AoE is f2 until barely enough to cast b2, b2 until full, repeat

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 2, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jinh posted:

It's probably not super important since being optimal doesn't matter, but I've been leveling blm and it seems to have a lot of skills that don't get used much. I'm ~35 and I was curious if there was a writeup on how the rotation changes as you level, because I feel like I'm missing something.

Rn I'm doing f3, f1, thunder (I don't know when to use this but I feel like as soon as I have 2 fire gauge ticks its good), f1 until I barely have enough to cast b3, b3, b1 until mana full, restart.

AoE is f2 until barely enough to cast b2, b2 until full, repeat

Ok, so right now for you, open with thunder, fire 3, fire until out of mp, blizzard 3 and repeat. You might need to pad our umbral with Blizz 1.

It's the exact single target rotation up until 60 really.

You are absolutely right in that you will never use some of your skills like Freeze.

E: Don't forget for AoE use Thunder 2 in addition to Fire 2. Also I personally never used Blizz 2 but I don't really know how much that affected my dps

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 2, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, you want to only use Thunder while in Umbral Ice unless you have a Thundercloud proc. You have to spend some time in UI anyway to wait for MP and replacing a Blizzard with a Thunder is a bigger potency gain than replacing a Fire.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ohh OK I thought that umbral fire buff would make the thunder dot hit harder. And I forgot to mention thunder II in the aoe part, my bad. Knowing to use thunder spells first helps a bunch, and glad to hear I'm not that crazy when it comes to some stuff never being used. Thanks!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
MogStation doesn't have a shopping cart? This is such a pain...

I joined a Japanese party to do Castrum Meridianum and it went tremendously well. No one ever suspected a thing.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

Just started this up again after not playing since launch. Is there any difference between the 3 NA goon guilds?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
TPT has a no spoilers in FC chat rule but otherwise it doesnt matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I got to Heaven Sward officially, and I agree with that previous poster; burn Ul'dah to the ground. Also a poor showing from the WoL/Lord of Murder. Like I'd let some thugs arrest me.

But I'd like to also add; let's burn down Ishgard, too. I'm pretty sure they started this ever-war with the Dravanians. I want to side with the dragons.

Edit; also I hear that DRKs are the weakest tanks. I assume they are still fun and capable, just not Raid Optimal or some nonsense?