Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

That dentist's office is going to make bank using Dave as "Before and After" advertising.

There's a project thread on the dentist equivalent of AI. He's their Sockington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think seeing Dave looking healthy and having healthy teeth is going to be the best thing AI has ever yielded.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Deteriorata posted:

That dentist's office is going to make bank using Dave as "Before and After" advertising.

14 INCH JARED

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Tooth pain (abscesses in my case) was the worst pain by several orders of magnitude that I've ever experienced in my life. It was "I want to sleep forever" levels of bad, and affected more aspects of my life than I would have believed. My thinking and decision making process, emotions, and just everything was channeled into MAKE IT STOP, and at times I was in so much pain I just curled up in the fetal position and screamed.

Finally scrapping together enough money (I was a cook at the time, so insurance? lol) and getting a root canal was a near-religious experience. It didn't change my life, but sure as hell felt like it. Your hear people complain about root canals, but the minute that pain went away from removing the nerve I wanted to cry with joy.

It was like living your whole life completely colorblind and then one day waking up to see color. WOW! Not everything sucks!

Now anytime anyone tells me they have tooth pain I recommend they get it checked out immediately.

Ibuprofen worked best for me, but things like Anbesol were also a godsend for the nerve pain. But nothing makes it go away but actual dentist work.

So congrats, no matter how much it might suck right now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just :same: to logical's post.

There are a few basic things that ruin life, even if you don't notice them immediately. Like boiling a frog by slowly raising the temperature of the water, they sneak up on you until poo poo sucks and sometimes you have no idea why. These two things are:

Tooth Pain

Blurry Vision

Both of them change your goddamned life when you get them fixed, and sometimes you realize that they were shaping your personality in total up until the point you got them repaired.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FBS posted:

14 INCH JARED

Um maybe not this particular example

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol I've got chlorhexedine mouthwash, i thought they made soap

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Well, the good news is that you won't end up with a yeast infection if you end up going down on a lounge lizard.

Congrats on turning your life around, BTW! I've been reading this thread with interest, and one of yours brought me into AI initially!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's a project thread on the dentist equivalent of AI. He's their Sockingtonbitbasher.

'84(?) 14 Inches of Thesesus.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Fermented Tinal posted:

'84(?) 14 Inches of Thesesus.

I just lit a cigarette from the rear end-end while posting this. I hope you're happy, Dave.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

logical fallacy posted:

Ibuprofen worked best for me, but things like Anbesol were also a godsend for the nerve pain. But nothing makes it go away but actual dentist work.

I think my teeth are weird. Anytime I've had a toothache and needed to do something with it before the ibuprofen kicked in (and before going to the dentist of course), anbesol tends to make poo poo worse.

Ice water - like super loving cold ice water - helps me. It should leave me screaming but it works better than anbesol. I had a tooth flare up on Christmas loving Eve a couple years back, so yeah, I got to spend some time drinking a lot of water.

And yeah I'm with you. I loving hate needles and poo poo but the first time that lidocaine kicked in, :catdrugs: I still don't go to the dentist as often as I should but I also don't need to get nitroused up for him to do anything now.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
If cold helps, you're definitely dealing with an infected tooth. The ice water is reducing the inflammation. It can happen without having a very exposed nerve, so you won't get the direct temperature sensitivity. And Anbesol won't do jack poo poo usually if this is the case. This is also why ibuprofen works so well - it's not so much the analgesia, but the anti-inflammatory effect that makes a big difference a lot of the time.

I've learned the hard way that if I have these symptoms, I probably need an antibiotic. It sucks having hosed up teeth. Super glad you're getting your poo poo fixed, Dave!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Jesus I can't imagine how much that has to sting. I thought it was bad when they had to grind on my jaw to get a wisdom tooth out.

Agreed with the huge quality of life difference of getting lovely teeth fixed, though. I didn't even realize at the time how much I could -taste- the nasty fuckers. Being too poor for dentistry sucks buttermilk.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I went from 1989 to 2008 without a single visit to the dentist, on account of having a botched root canal when I was 11 that ended up with me having a weeping abscess on the front of my jaw. I still have the false tooth they gave me in 1988 after my brother smashed my first adult tooth out by throwing a wooden block across the room and nailing me in the mouth. My wife calls it "Old Greeny" for the colour it has gone in the meantime.

I was dreading going to the dentist when I did in 2008, shortly after I got together with my now-wife. At that visit, I was insanely lucky that I didn't have to have some serious work done, just a scale'n'clean and some x-rays. Turns out when you run your tongue across the back of your lower front teeth, you're supposed to be able to feel the gap between your teeth - it's not supposed to be one smooth surface. I attribute my tooth integrity to a lifetime of hating soft drink of any sort.

That being said, thinking to yourself "man I should really go to the dentist" and then "oh no wait that's hundreds of dollars I really can't afford" sucks rear end. These last half dozen or so years where I've had enough money to be able to sort poo poo like that out without having to worry too much have been a loving revelation compared to how I was going before.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Hell, man, Listerine was originally made as floor cleaner. And a cure for the clap.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm reminded of a certain "wire brush and dettol" joke.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Memento posted:

I went from 1989 to 2008 without a single visit to the dentist, on account of having a botched root canal when I was 11 that ended up with me having a weeping abscess on the front of my jaw. I still have the false tooth they gave me in 1988 after my brother smashed my first adult tooth out by throwing a wooden block across the room and nailing me in the mouth. My wife calls it "Old Greeny" for the colour it has gone in the meantime.

I was dreading going to the dentist when I did in 2008, shortly after I got together with my now-wife. At that visit, I was insanely lucky that I didn't have to have some serious work done, just a scale'n'clean and some x-rays. Turns out when you run your tongue across the back of your lower front teeth, you're supposed to be able to feel the gap between your teeth - it's not supposed to be one smooth surface. I attribute my tooth integrity to a lifetime of hating soft drink of any sort.

That being said, thinking to yourself "man I should really go to the dentist" and then "oh no wait that's hundreds of dollars I really can't afford" sucks rear end. These last half dozen or so years where I've had enough money to be able to sort poo poo like that out without having to worry too much have been a loving revelation compared to how I was going before.

Last June I broke a 9 year long avoidance of the dentist because I needed a filling (and was lucky enough that was it for now).

I chose a new dentist, and was dreading it but found that the new dentist I had chosen was leagues above the last one, and is pleasant to visit and deal with and much better at her job and In addition is an attractive lady. I wish I had given up on the other guy 20 years ago.

Moral - If you hate going to the dentist then find a different dentist!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Those Dremel photos are pure nightmare Nitromethane. Goonspeed, dude. Holy gently caress.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

InitialDave posted:

Hell, man, Listerine was originally made as floor cleaner. And a cure for the clap.

I think panther piss was originally intended as a mouth wash.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress OW MY MOUUUTHHHH

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You still headed back today or laid up for an extra day?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Hang in there dude. :( I still have very vivid memories (maybe even recurring dreams - and I don't have those about anything else) of the day after I smashed up my face as a kid and that poo poo won't leave you. However - you're gonna have teeth again, and how goddamn cool is that?

As an aside somehow I woke up this AM without any pain. I was reminded of when I had my tonsils out in 2010 and was off the Roxicet they prescribed for pain the next day. I don't know what it is about my biology being able to recover from this crap quickly but I'll take it.

Echoing MGS, Dave: Are you going to stay down there to get the remainder of the infected teeth pulled?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Also, note the instant pot being used behind the beans. Cooking 2 pounds of rump roast to use for barbacoa tacos while gf is here (we're both from the same hometown, so obviously we both love tacos). Should look about like my dinner the other night, except with a lot more meat.

I've kind of been checked out of AI for a while but when did you get a girlfriend? I thought you were a rump roast only kind of guy...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are you getting your entire mouth done at once? If so that's pretty awesome, talk about lucking out having a family member that does that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My flight out is tomorrow, we're taking one more crack at extractions later today

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

...we're taking one more crack at extractions later today

I had a molar that had to be broken before it would come out. Taking a crack at it, indeed.

Even with the lidocaine, that poo poo is uncomfortable as hell.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

It's going to be worth it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've kind of been checked out of AI for a while but when did you get a girlfriend? I thought you were a rump roast only kind of guy...

He caught the straight a couple months ago.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So whats the long term plan? Getting things done in multiple visits?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yes flying back once a month

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This is it

This is the countdown to extraction

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Good luck, hope the dentist gets em quick.

I know you have to be in pain but hang in there.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Wait a second. I'm part bionic, and organic. But not a cyborg??

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, cyborg requires computerization somewhere. Cyber.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

This is it

This is the countdown to extraction
Godspeed, Mr Dick.

I'd need to check, but what you're going through currently (dental impantation) may directly relate to my grandfather's research in that field a generation ago.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

Godspeed, Mr Dick.

I'd need to check, but what you're going through currently (dental impantation) may directly relate to my grandfather's research in that field a generation ago.

Nah, his will be straight and white :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No, cyborg requires computerization somewhere. Cyber.

Call me Psychotron

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just realised this pic you can see the full incision they did on my right side to do the bone grafting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Dick it is supremely embarassing that apparently other people are not familiar with Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction album, but I want you to know that I got the reference immediately and appreciated it.

Just remember that twisting the strangled grip won't give no mercy, and also that enraged and full of anger you're half man and half machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Gee whiz golly shucks i sure am looking forward to not drinking for 5 months and never smoking again

• Locked thread