Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't inviting you to explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wasn't inviting you to explain

Too bad, you're part of the inner circle now, please collect your bucket of blood on the way out

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What's a "gamergate"?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Plutonis posted:

What's a "gamergate"?

It's a type of ant, hth OP.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
why doesnt someone just beat up this zak s dude and call it a day? easy

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I had a chuckle last fall when none other than Patrick Stuart, Zak's long-time friend, co-author and defender, had a meltdown cause he was finally sick and tired of Zak's poo poo.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
The AuZtralia kickstarter is live. Despite the terrible name it looks really interesting. Martin Wallace, and the surrealness of being able to buy a game in my local NZ currency + not having to pay the same amount again in shipping makes me pretty tempted to back this. As others have pointed out though, there seems to be very little benefit to kickstarting over waiting for retail given the price difference.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I really hope that's not a terrible analogy for australia's indigenous peoples.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I really hope that's not a terrible analogy for australia's indigenous peoples.

From the looks of it, I think they're just going to pretend those guys don't exist.

Anyway, re: Zak - telling someone to gently caress off isn't abuse. Driving people out of the hobby via sending waves of anonymous assholes after them is abuse; that's a thing he's done or tried to do on the reg. If you're gonna die on the hill of 'don't tell Zak to gently caress off and die' then you are an rear end in a top hat.

Also, link to his bullshit being called out by a former defender, that's always fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jmzero posted:

I personally am not going to run around policing people's tone or something

You say while literally tone policing calling out an abuser.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

Aaaanyway, instead of another Zakattack derail, in "lighter" Kickstarter news:

Robotech Tactics Kickstarter has made C-list industry news!

It looks like only some minor factual errors—I don't think Carmen, the guy who tried to commit suicide, was actually a designer on anything except his board game? And, of course, it's a brief nothing of an article, so it doesn't actually provide much information itself, which is kind of giving a pass to just how dumb and horrible the whole thing is.

Carmen Bellaire credited as the main designer in the Robotech RPG Tactics (a name that never doesn't hurt to write). It's a complicated situation where it evolved from a fan project and I'm pretty sure Ninja Division had their fingers in there at some point design-wise, but if you want to know why he was targeted for flak, that'd be part of why.

But yeah, I went to double-check and realized Siembieda had been acting like Wave 2 was still coming was of last December. It's kind of amazing how long they were trying to string people along (badly).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mors Rattus posted:

Anyway, re: Zak

Pretty please?

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
So this Zak fellow is clearly scum and I ABSOLUTELY wish that MDT had handled his response better. However I do just want to say that some of the best gaming moments in my life have been playing with MDT at cons. I think he is a fantastic GM and Magpie put a lot of love and quality into their work. Obviously you should follow your outrage compass on this one if you must, but MDT is not the scum of the earth and Cartel is a very fun game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

wow i am so swayed by the incredibly persuasive use of "outrage compass" lol

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

wow i am so swayed by the incredibly persuasive use of "outrage compass" lol

You do you man, just trying to offer an alternate view as someone that has had actual human interaction with the man.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't care how nice he is.

I don't want to buy his products if he defends that scumbag.

If I miss out on good stuff? Too bad. You could be the saintly lovechild of Jesus, Mohammed and Siddhartha Gautama producing gold-plated toilets and I wouldn't buy your poo poo if you defend Zak S.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ZachAttack posted:

You do you man, just trying to offer an alternate view as someone that has had actual human interaction with the man.

cool, next time you have a human interaction with the man consider telling him to stop throwing his friends under the bus in defense of a subhuman like zak s

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ZachAttack posted:

it doesn't matter, is the point. whether or not people think that the behaviour at issue is bad enough to avoid his products over, why would the fact that he was also nice to you at cons and a good gm matter?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So, CMON are at it again with another version of Zombicide. This time it's in spaaaaace...

https://cmon.com/news/zombicide-invader-kickstarter-announced

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it doesn't matter, is the point. whether or not people think that the behaviour at issue is bad enough to avoid his products over, why would the fact that he was also nice to you at cons and a good gm matter?

I lurk this thread %99 of the time, and I assume others do as well. I am not trying to change yours, Serf's or whoever's minds on this, but maybe there are other people on the fence here. MDT was pretty influential on my development as a role player and I just want to stick up for him and especially the other people at Magpie. After all, you guys are calling him out for NOT sticking up for his colleague and I think there is more to him than this series of lovely online interactions he had.

I am not trying to rile anyone up or whatever. If you have made up your mind, then fine, no problem. If you haven't, then maybe check out their stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you don't want to buy something because of stupid drama you dont need to make a post out of it

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ZachAttack posted:

I lurk this thread %99 of the time, and I assume others do as well. I am not trying to change yours, Serf's or whoever's minds on this, but maybe there are other people on the fence here. MDT was pretty influential on my development as a role player and I just want to stick up for him and especially the other people at Magpie. After all, you guys are calling him out for NOT sticking up for his colleague and I think there is more to him than this series of lovely online interactions he had.

I am not trying to rile anyone up or whatever. If you have made up your mind, then fine, no problem. If you haven't, then maybe check out their stuff.

I don't think I've called him out for anything, I'm just explaining to you that "I know him, he's a nice guy" is completely irrelevant to this kind of discussion, as it should be

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

ZachAttack posted:

My guy, this is not me on the internet trying to say MDT is a bad person and should be ostracized. It's a boycott.

We (or at least I) want MDT to change his policy, specifically his policy of not apologizing for throwing his buddy under the bus to defend a guy who was harassing that buddy, and who has also harassed many other people. (And who, incidentally, called me a sociopath in one post on his blog; I don't think that really rises to harassment, but it's still lovely.)

A boycott is a publicized refusal to do business with some party until that party changes their policies. If and when MDT does change this policy, I will absolutely resume doing business with him and his company, on the same basis with which I do business with other elfgame companies (which is, if they have a good game and I can afford it, I will buy it).

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I don't think I've called him out for anything, I'm just explaining to you that "I know him, he's a nice guy" is completely irrelevant to this kind of discussion, as it should be

What I actually said was: "I think he is a fantastic GM and Magpie put a lot of love and quality into their work."

Meaning I like the products they make and I think they are good. Which seems, like, the entire point of this entire thread...?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

What I actually said was: "I think he is a fantastic GM and Magpie put a lot of love and quality into their work."

Meaning I like the products they make and I think they are good. Which seems, like, the entire point of this entire thread...?

dude, I can read what you actually said, and you repeatedly invoked your personal interactions with him as a counterpoint to "he did this thing that people think is lovely"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zark the Damned posted:

So, CMON are at it again with another version of Zombicide. This time it's in spaaaaace...

I'm not familiar with Zombicide, is it good? I like the Space Marines on the box

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It's a decent coop dice chucking miniatures game. It's pretty laid back. The latter versions certainly seem better than the original. I haven't played Black Plague but I've heard it's quite a bit better, though I hear that from people who love Zombicide, so

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
zombicide is fun

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The kickstarters generally have a ton of exclusives, which really soured me on the whole thing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

They said Rising Sun was going to be their last game with KS exclusives, but we'll see.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
lmbo, if they said that, then it was a bold faced lie. there most recent ks game was hate which is completely ks exclusive

zombicide green horde and a song of fire and ice also have ks exclusive stuff

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

lmbo, if they said that, then it was a bold faced lie. there most recent ks game was hate which is completely ks exclusive

zombicide green horde and a song of fire and ice also have ks exclusive stuff

Oh, haha, I haven't been paying to their KS projects because I'm super tired of that company

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

S.J. posted:

It's a decent coop dice chucking miniatures game. It's pretty laid back. The latter versions certainly seem better than the original. I haven't played Black Plague but I've heard it's quite a bit better, though I hear that from people who love Zombicide, so

Darn. It's going to be running at the same time as Mantic's Hellboy game. I guess I'll wait and see which one to back, but I was already wary about sending money to Britain for products that might not arrive before Brexit takes effect.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

The faces of the space marines on the cover art are weirdly bad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Darn. It's going to be running at the same time as Mantic's Hellboy game. I guess I'll wait and see which one to back, but I was already wary about sending money to Britain for products that might not arrive before Brexit takes effect.

Yeah that's going to be tough. Zombicide will have a lot of KS exclusives and be delivered quicker but, unlike Mantic's Hellboy, you'll at least be able to walk into a store and buy the game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I played zombicide black plague once and got yelled at for not playing right. I tried to do a thing but I guess we were supposed to sit there and let the guy who got a great weapon drop kill everything instead of play the game.

Bad game or bad experience?

Henker
May 5, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

The faces of the space marines on the cover art are weirdly bad.

I hate the fact that they switched the artist. Edouard Guiton handles the majority of the art for Zomicide so it's been a very visually consistent series. Looks like Adrian Smith (of HATE fame) is doing it now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bombadilillo posted:

I played zombicide black plague once and got yelled at for not playing right. I tried to do a thing but I guess we were supposed to sit there and let the guy who got a great weapon drop kill everything instead of play the game.

Bad game or bad experience?

Why not both? Zombicide and all its many offshoots has never struck me as anything more than a mediocre game to begin with, being quarterbacked doubtlessly doesn't improve the experience.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kai Tave posted:

Why not both? Zombicide and all its many offshoots has never struck me as anything more than a mediocre game to begin with, being quarterbacked doubtlessly doesn't improve the experience.

Yeah i's not a good game. Just...play gloomhaven? More seriously someone needs to do a beer and pretzel dungeon crawler that isn't bad. I think Imp rear end is the best effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah i's not a good game. Just...play gloomhaven? More seriously someone needs to do a beer and pretzel dungeon crawler that isn't bad. I think Imp rear end is the best effort?

That is Gloomhaven :colbert: