Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BRD aoe question: should I just be spamming my aoe move at 4+ mobs instead of trying to spread dots?

And in an aoe fight, is it worth putting up any dots at all, to fish for repertoire, or are the benefits of that not worth it compared to getting off another aoe blast with my gcd? I tried figuring out the math on my own, but then I quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

DRG rotation is Connect Four. (And then Connect Five.) And then you just weave in oGCDs.

(Thank loving god they got rid of Power Boost or whatever the gently caress it was called, that was a dumb skill.

The oGCD bit is also generally fairly relaxed, except the opener where you have to weave all 10, or 11 if you're potioning oGCD's inside I want to say 8 GCD's?

Ainsley McTree posted:

BRD aoe question: should I just be spamming my aoe move at 4+ mobs instead of trying to spread dots?

And in an aoe fight, is it worth putting up any dots at all, to fish for repertoire, or are the benefits of that not worth it compared to getting off another aoe blast with my gcd? I tried figuring out the math on my own, but then I quit

For trash you go Mages > Army > Wanderer and cut Wanderer's off after 20 second to go back to mages ideally. You want 6 instances of a dot out to basically guarantee a proc every tick and just go hog loving wild. Most of your time under mages is spent dotting poo poo up and spamming Rain of Death. So yes use dots. Always use dots. Literally the only time it's not worth using dots is if the target dies in like 3 GCD's

Bolow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 6, 2018

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

They should host a one on one pvp tournament of all the players up for bans for using the ungarmax thing. Split it up by role, stream it, and the winners get to keep their accounts. The rest are banned and their parents will receive a call from naoki yoshida himself who will explain the shameful things that they’ve done.

How about they develop software like wow's warden to catch botters without having to be reported and do this to them instead. They are far more detrimental to the game then a dude in some static I don't even know using a bug to not even kill what he was using it on. But that's too difficult for them(SE) and we give them a pass because?!?!

The fact you can't be caught botting unless reported manually by a player is loving laughable in a game of this size.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

*swoops into thread

Been playing pc using controller since day one. I literally cannot play without it now. Controller support for the game is top notch and is the main reason I am still subbed to this day. I can and do play all jobs on controller, the only thing I will say is a bad thing with controller is end-game healing which I have never tried but I can only assume would be a lot more difficult since targetting party members without a mouse can be time-consuming. Healing in all other content though is a breeze and people seem to get their knickers twisted over it for some reason.

When I was (briefly) doing savage progression on my WHM I was using a controller with no problems, you usually have enough time to pick the right person between spell casts, and 90% of progression healing is aoe bombing anyway and that doesn't even need a target.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Lately, when I'm done doing my casual chores in the morning before work, I've been heading to an inn, depositing new glamours in the dresser, then using the bed to log out. It adds a nice little sense of closure to a play session. Now I kinda want them to let you do that in your house/apartment/private room.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

Lately, when I'm done doing my casual chores in the morning before work, I've been heading to an inn, depositing new glamours in the dresser, then using the bed to log out. It adds a nice little sense of closure to a play session. Now I kinda want them to let you do that in your house/apartment/private room.

That was actually one of the first things i tried to do when i got an apartment for the first time and i was hugely disappointed when it didn't work :(

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Winners should be allowed to do an honorable thing and delete their accounts without brining shame to their families. Losers should keep their accounts, but they would be instantly queued for Aurum Vale once they log in and they should be stripped of all glamours.

Thank god we don't live in a hell world where this is allowed.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

DizzyBum posted:

I found that out the hard way after dropping 75k on a nice bed.
Do you earn more Rested status from inns or is there no difference between it and just logging out in a sanctuary?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It feels so wild that you can sleep on the bed to quit out of the game. Like a full quit-to-desktop, not just back to menu or something. Does it quit to menu or system on PS4?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I think it throws you to the launcher on PS4. Don't quote me on that though, because I usually just hit standby without bothering to log out at all when I play on PS4. Sometimes it doesn't ask me to log back in when I go into standby, which I always think is a bit strange.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If your sleep on the bed it'll ask if you want to sign out back to the FFXIV start screen or exit the game entirely. The only way to see the launcher is by opening it from the PS4 menu.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I just checked and exiting the game outside of the inn or at the inn will boot me to the launcher (not the PS4 menu). Might depend on your PS4 settings?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bolow posted:

The oGCD bit is also generally fairly relaxed, except the opener where you have to weave all 10, or 11 if you're potioning oGCD's inside I want to say 8 GCD's?

For trash you go Mages > Army > Wanderer and cut Wanderer's off after 20 second to go back to mages ideally. You want 6 instances of a dot out to basically guarantee a proc every tick and just go hog loving wild. Most of your time under mages is spent dotting poo poo up and spamming Rain of Death. So yes use dots. Always use dots. Literally the only time it's not worth using dots is if the target dies in like 3 GCD's

Hmm...yeah that seems pretty obvious now that you lay it out like that. Thanks!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MelvinBison posted:

I found that out the hard way after dropping 75k on a nice bed.
Do you earn more Rested status from inns or is there no difference between it and just logging out in a sanctuary?

There's no difference between inns and other sanctuary locations.

IMO it would be neat if inns gave an extra bonus, like increasing the cap or the rate the bonus accumulates or something. I understand if they don't, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do enjoy that if you sleep in the ishgard inn, you wake up in a trash nest of empty wine bottles. Really drives home the murderhobo aesthetic

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Hra Mormo posted:

It's also highly dependant on how hard the other jobs get hosed by having to move, which won't affect a good bard at all. Some movement heavy fights this is enough for bard to climb to the middle of the pack in average parsing.

But yeah both rdps need to be able to bring their piercing debuff because the impact on their dps from a DRG just being there and pushing a rotational button they've been using since level 38 is absolutely bonkers.

This is a really good point that I should have mentioned! BRD doesn't have to worry nearly to the extent other jobs do about uptime, we can move and not lose anything in our rotation - in theory. This can take some practice!

I'm still going to be bitter about that piercing debuff though

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

There's no difference between inns and other sanctuary locations.

IMO it would be neat if inns gave an extra bonus, like increasing the cap or the rate the bonus accumulates or something. I understand if they don't, though.

So way, way back when this game was bad, the inn actually was the only place you accumulated rested bonus. Gradually they expanded this to the city zones, then even later out to the camps around each aetheryte and the housing zones.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I do enjoy that if you sleep in the ishgard inn, you wake up in a trash nest of empty wine bottles. Really drives home the murderhobo aesthetic

The inn in Kugane is actually pretty nice. It has an open window looking out into a garden that has fireflies at night :3:

Of course I never had a reason to check it out before the glamour toilet was added because the inn rooms are kind of redundant to anybody who has access to an FC house.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Gally posted:

This is a really good point that I should have mentioned! BRD doesn't have to worry nearly to the extent other jobs do about uptime, we can move and not lose anything in our rotation - in theory. This can take some practice!

I'm still going to be bitter about that piercing debuff though

Until auto-facing fucks you and you run back into an aoe marker :v:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Bolow posted:

Until auto-facing fucks you and you run back into an aoe marker :v:

I use legacy mode and I've never had this happen.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Gally posted:

I use legacy mode and I've never had this happen.

Oh, not in Legacy, no, it's a Standard control expression.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 6, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
So last night I dinged 70 on AST, and figured I’d drag it into Sigmascape normal as preparation for raiding tonight. Was quite concerned - I know WHM inside and out, but I hadn’t even done the 70 job quest yet!

:gonk:

Sleeve Draw is pretty cool, btw.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 6, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

So last night I dinged 70 on AST, and figured I’d drag it into Sigmascape normal as preparation for raiding tonight. Was quite concerned - I know WHM inside and out, but I hadn’t even done the 70 job quest yet!

:gonk:

Sleeve Draw is pretty cool, btw.
Somebody once told me a clown would try to roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'd argue that RDM is simpler than BLM rotations simply because it's more forgiving for movement and even if you mess it up it doesn't take much to correct your White/Black mana levels to where they need to be.

Yeah as a BLM main I would absolutely say that RDM is easier to be competent at.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Red Mage's skill floor is so much higher than most DPS it's crazy. It's definitely the easiest DPS to preform decently at, and probably has the smallest gap between "just press buttons, whatever, who cares" and "optimal rotation".

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
There is a few nuances to RDM rotation, but otherwise it's really hard to screw up really badly...

For example if you get really lucky on VerFire/VerStone Ready procs you may have to ignore one of them to keep balanced.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just bought a small plot last night which I'm going to be sharing with a friend. Is there some place outside of the game where I can look at possible house styles?

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just bought a small plot last night which I'm going to be sharing with a friend. Is there some place outside of the game where I can look at possible house styles?

En.ff14housing.com for what the items and styles look like.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Oh, not in Legacy, no, it's a Standard control expression.

I see.

Chaosfirev posted:

The second image of each item has a Apkallu Drinking Bird for scale. This site became a lot easier to use once I realized that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chaosfirev posted:

Huh. Do you not just pick a preset and add on from there?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The worst Triple Triad rule is Chaos and it's especially bad when a Chaos player has a Level 5 Card to drop. :suicide:

I've been working on that loving otter in the Ruby Sea for what feels like forever. gently caress that guy.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Huh. Do you not just pick a preset and add on from there?

There's 3 presets for each region, and they're region restricted. Can't build Shiro houses in the Mist, or Glade houses in the Oasis. There's effectively glamour prism you can put on top of that, like the Paissa and Carbuncle houses. You can also mix and match doors/windows/roof as long as it's within that specific region. Decorations aren't region restricted except I think fences?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bolow posted:

There's 3 presets for each region, and they're region restricted. Can't build Shiro houses in the Mist, or Glade houses in the Oasis. There's effectively glamour prism you can put on top of that, like the Paissa and Carbuncle houses. You can also mix and match doors/windows/roof as long as it's within that specific region. Decorations aren't region restricted except I think fences?

Ah, okay. Where can I find pictures of the presets, then?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ah, okay. Where can I find pictures of the presets, then?

It should show you them when you go to build the house, then ask you to confirm, IIRC.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I've been working on that loving otter in the Ruby Sea for what feels like forever. gently caress that guy.
I happened to get to him on a day where Reverse was one of the regional rules, made it a lot easier.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Holyshoot posted:

How about they develop software like wow's warden to catch botters without having to be reported and do this to them instead. They are far more detrimental to the game then a dude in some static I don't even know using a bug to not even kill what he was using it on. But that's too difficult for them(SE) and we give them a pass because?!?!

The fact you can't be caught botting unless reported manually by a player is loving laughable in a game of this size.

How is yoshida-san going to shame a bot’s parents, like whoa you did not think this one through, I don’t even think he speaks binary

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

It should show you them when you go to build the house, then ask you to confirm, IIRC.

Blah. I was hoping to do this while I was stuck at work, but thanks anyway.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

How is yoshida-san going to shame a bot’s parents, like whoa you did not think this one through, I don’t even think he speaks binary

Please the game is built off of the bones of 1.0 the bots probably speak in loving Fortran

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Martman posted:

I happened to get to him on a day where Reverse was one of the regional rules, made it a lot easier.

Yeah. I had chaos as the regional rule with him. It was awesome. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The changes to triple triad NPCs in 4.2 has been a blessing and a curse. I love that I know who everyone is and whether they have cards to give, but I hate knowing that they have cards to give that I can't get because gently caress you Vorsaile Heuloix, just drop the loving Kan-E card already. I can reliably beat you every time with 5 Garleans thanks to Ascension so just hand it over, already.