Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm just copy pasting from wikipedia so my info could be completely wrong but that's not my understanding of it

quote:

In the summer of 2005 Piranha Games began working on an unannounced next generation title which was later revealed to be a new Mechwarrior game.[1] In the spring of 2007, Piranha Games was contracted to work on EA Playground for the Nintendo DS and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 for the PSP. Piranha Games has also worked with Gearbox Software to develop the PS3[2] and Xbox 360 versions of Duke Nukem Forever, along with the multiplayer[3] component.

In 2011, after failing to work with former rights holders Smith & Tinker to fund a new MechWarrior game, Piranha Games bought the rights to the series from them.[4]

After a lengthy period without news regarding the new MechWarrior game, Piranha announced that the game, after some 'false starts', had become MechWarrior Online, and had been transformed into a mech-based MMO. MechWarrior Online ended Closed Beta phase in 2012, and officially launched following an Open Beta in fall of 2013 to mediocre reviews from critics, and poor reception with fans of the franchise.[5]

edit: the crucial piece of evidence for this case seems to be a single tweet from russ bullock to an internet rando in the year of our lord 2014 so not exactly a primary source of information

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taintrunner posted:

The Atlas is my favorite mech. I think it's easy to mess up but it's mostly around making the head look less like a skull is where people go wrong, as well as making the torso way too wide, like on the MWO Atlas. He should be tall, somewhat bulky, and with a giant white skull head with glowing red eyes, being absolutely terrifying. Too thicc and he's more of an embarrassment than a threat.

These will always be my two favorite Atlas pictures.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

These will always be my two favorite Atlas pictures.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The best Atlas picture is the Big Ben punchout.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Context matters and this atlas isn't roasting furries :colbert:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

Context matters and this atlas isn't roasting furries :colbert:

Furry roastage is implied

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Big Ben punch

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Skoll posted:

Furry roastage is implied

Mad Mechs: Furry Roast

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is that a Warhawk he's loving up?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the classic is still the Atlas pic for me :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's definitely something non-Euclidean going on in that knee-to-waist region

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The one thing I hate about all the line drawings is they are always posed with the "toes" pointing outwards despite the fact that mechs are not supposed to be able to rotate their hip joints/side step.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Pharnakes posted:

The one thing I hate about all the line drawings is they are always posed with the "toes" pointing outwards despite the fact that mechs are not supposed to be able to rotate their hip joints/side step.

Well one thing to bear in mind that forgives this a little is that the mechs don't use pistons/hydraulics to move, but artificial musculature. This *might* let them twist and turn a bit more than you would expect.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
But if they have that range of movement they should be able to side shuffle then. :argh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pharnakes posted:

But if they have that range of movement they should be able to side shuffle then. :argh:

This comment makes me really wish to see those dumb Soccer playing robots with guns for some reason.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I can't believe I am this excited for a videogame in the year of our lord 2018.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pharnakes posted:

They absolutely can.

BattleMechs are a metal skeleton covered in muscles with very simple joints covered in an outer shell of armor plating designed to flex and move around that musculature.

These two 'Mechs have the same skeletons. Not "similar," exactly the same:

The Charger and the Hatamoto-Chi. Not too impressive? There are a lot of similarities?

So do these:

The Puma (Adder) and the Cougar.

But...

So do these:

The Panther and the Wight share a skeleton. Wights are made out of decomissioned Panthers.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 6, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Puma (Adder) and the Cougar.

Oh man I had completely forgotten about the Cougar. I cant even remember which game it was in but I remember loving its design and look.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the Couger is one wings detail away from being a kewl LAM concept

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the Couger is one wings detail away from being a kewl LAM concept

The Jade Falcons have you covered!

Edit: The Cougar was their Partial Wing testbed. They would later use this technology to go completely bugfuck crazy, which is why I started playing them. :allears:

... I should really buy myself a Jade Hawk for my birthday this year. I love that stupid thing so much.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 6, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I love the era of TRO art where every mech had checker patterns on it. :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the couger is such a cool mech

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

the couger is such a cool mech

Of all my casual knowledge of BTech by way of Mechwarrior 4/Mercs, internet Osmosis and "I used to play MW2 at my friend's house". I'm always glad to hear my own thoughts about the Cougar shared :allears:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I liked the cougar in mech commander :thumbsup:

I beat all most of MW 2 with a Firemoth that went like a billion kph and just had a small pulse laser and just circled everything to death, unless the mission needed LRMs or something

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Phrosphor posted:

I can't believe I am this excited for a videogame in the year of our lord 2018.

:same: it's not just the mechs but I loving love any games where you can customise the poo poo out of your units and the gameplay looks much slower paced than XCOM (and I hated the XCOM strategy layer 'game')

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I'm probably going to get drawn and quartered here but I liked UFO:ET's and aftershock/aftermath gameplay much more than Firaxis' XCOMs. Sometimes production value isn't everything.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna be weird and say I really don't like the art style/design of the original Battletech mechs. I think the Mechwarrior series really did a lot for making them cooler, more like fighter jet cockpits and armaments slammed into walking tanks really did them a huge favor. I think MWO has lost a lot of that character in their designs since then, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taintrunner posted:

I'm gonna be weird and say I really don't like the art style/design of the original Battletech mechs. I think the Mechwarrior series really did a lot for making them cooler, more like fighter jet cockpits and armaments slammed into walking tanks really did them a huge favor. I think MWO has lost a lot of that character in their designs since then, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Nah, I'm with you on this one.

That original line art Atlas is bleh for me, same for stuff in this style:

I liked the original batch of Clan mechs much more, and plenty of the different art styles over the years- Both of the Cougars that Poptarts posted are great examples I think.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Axetrain posted:

Is that a Warhawk he's loving up?

Whatever it was, it's an Urbanmech now. This is how Urbanmechs are born in my Battletech canon.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Taintrunner posted:

I don't think you're going to find too many people defending the cheaply-doodled 80s kitsch of some of the earlier TROs. There are some criticisms to be made of MWO's art but in general they provided the game with a much-needed update.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

:same: it's not just the mechs but I loving love any games where you can customise the poo poo out of your units and the gameplay looks much slower paced than XCOM (and I hated the XCOM strategy layer 'game')

I'm really looking forward to the bits of character and setting fluff between missions. I already know the core gameplay is solid, but they've been tantalizingly vague about the story. PTN's lore posts are always some of my favorite BT stuff on these forums, and the HBS team has several people who're just as insanely steeped in the setting's lore.

I want to come home from a mission and walk in on my tech and XO arguing about supply chains, and opportunity costs, and poo poo.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Voyager I posted:

I don't think you're going to find too many people defending the cheaply-doodled 80s kitsch of some of the earlier TROs. There are some criticisms to be made of MWO's art but in general they provided the game with a much-needed update.

The 80s and 90s were a different time. Games were more about games and design and visual identity were ancillary.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Going back to MW:VR since everyone posted while I slept- remember the MWO specific HOTAS controllers? The ones that looked like the successor to the Steel Battalion controller, but designed explicitly for MWO?

Because :pgi: sure as hell wants you to forget. Until and unless they get a working physical product out, don't believe anything they say. HBS has a pedigree with Shadowrun, while PGI has a Die Hard game no one played and the MP component of DNF as their background.

Their best decision? Getting that guy who redesigned the 'Mechs. Bringing it back around to robot aesthetics cause they do look real good, concept art did anyway

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Paingod556 posted:

Going back to MW:VR since everyone posted while I slept- remember the MWO specific HOTAS controllers? The ones that looked like the successor to the Steel Battalion controller, but designed explicitly for MWO?

Because :pgi: sure as hell wants you to forget. Until and unless they get a working physical product out, don't believe anything they say. HBS has a pedigree with Shadowrun, while PGI has a Die Hard game no one played and the MP component of DNF as their background.

Their best decision? Getting that guy who redesigned the 'Mechs. Bringing it back around to robot aesthetics cause they do look real good, concept art did anyway

Those were called the Artemis and they were dumb as hell and never moved past concept prototype. Especially since MWO is absolute rear end to play with a joystick.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, at this point anything isildur's team makes I'm going to buy into even if it's silly or I have no idea what it is. HBS has consistently delivered good products.
You say that now, but i am absolutely not kidding you in any way that my dream game, the game I've been wanting to make for years and years, the game that I repurposed into the battletech design...

is the chance to remake this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaqvQpPnXmI

Come at me.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Paingod556 posted:

This. I remember first hearing about Flyingdebris on an obscure evangelion irc. Shimmering sword is also good and does a ton of line arts.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

the thing i never knew i always wanted

HBS presents A Motherfucking Anime Game is a day one purchase from me.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Zaodai posted:

The question is, if PGI had a time machine would you still have any faith that there would be a timeline where they don't gently caress up game design?

No. That company is a clown car of crap.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Are their offices still located in a mall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Burn all the animes