Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i would be perfectly happy to let the visual programming idiots just live in their own world but actually they keep invading mine and saying poo poo like if you think about it what really is a file maaaannnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

from what I can recall, the interface between lab view and external C code is almost entirely in-debugable. a cruel twist from a language built around debugging

at least in the case of the old Mac SDK, you’d use a native code debugger to observe your custom code being loaded and set breakpoints in it, after stepping or whatever in the LabView UI

sure you can’t debug it all with the LabView tools but I wouldn’t expect those to work with Pascal/C/assembly/whatever

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

i would be perfectly happy to let the visual programming idiots just live in their own world but actually they keep invading mine and saying poo poo like if you think about it what really is a file maaaannnn

what if code, but a database!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rjmccall posted:

what really is a file maaaannnn

a miserable little pile of bytes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a miserable little pile of sectors

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Internet Janitor posted:

visual programming languages are an idea so tantalyzingly obvious. so seductive. by unfurling our linear programs into 2d diagrams, they will become intuitive. why, even a child could follow a flow-chart which converts temperature in fahrenheit to celsius and understand how it works! at a glance! python by comparison is a hopeless miasma; a sea of bizarre punctuation characters and juxtaposed sentence fragments. structure is far less obvious and natural than in the graphical presentation. the age of text-based programming is dead!

we will never be free of this spectre. simple things are so simple in visual programming languages that the mounting inconvenience of building large, complex programs in this fashion will only ever be discovered when things are far too late. the incidental problems of planar layout, the need to reinvent all the tools available for text- fuzzy searching, revision control, diffing, etc- the aching slowness of dragging together programs box by box and threading them together. these are all a slow chilling after the initial excitement. perhaps if we we just stacked the boxes like this, or used color-coded handles, or made it more like a spreadsheet- yes, it will all be different this time.

visual programming has been the way of the future for 50 years, in countless guises, and I have no doubt it will keep resurfacing and failing for the next century.

i did a semester's worth of work in a visual FPGA toolchain. rewrote Tetris, we took input from a sega genesis controller, stored the game state into SRAM, and displayed the board over VGA. couldn't have been more than a few thousand gates

everything in this post rings so true. it had some niceties, like i could wrap things up into "modules" and have a sheet using those higher levels of abstraction. but debugging was a nightmare, no version control/diffing (but it would have been on the generated netlists anyway). i had one bug that was in there so long we essentially worked around it, to the point when I saw and replaced the missing wire it broke everything and I had to put it back in

we had a race condition at startup too, player input before the main screen would rejigger the columns to be wrapped at the wrong point, so during the demo i held the controller away from the professor until it'd settled

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rjmccall posted:

what really is a file maaaannnn

a miserable little pile of records

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i want my programming to be like playing resident evil 4 and trying to organize my inventory so everything fits

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

i did a semester's worth of work in a visual FPGA toolchain. rewrote Tetris, we took input from a sega genesis controller, stored the game state into SRAM, and displayed the board over VGA. couldn't have been more than a few thousand gates

everything in this post rings so true. it had some niceties, like i could wrap things up into "modules" and have a sheet using those higher levels of abstraction. but debugging was a nightmare, no version control/diffing (but it would have been on the generated netlists anyway). i had one bug that was in there so long we essentially worked around it, to the point when I saw and replaced the missing wire it broke everything and I had to put it back in

we had a race condition at startup too, player input before the main screen would rejigger the columns to be wrapped at the wrong point, so during the demo i held the controller away from the professor until it'd settled

wow, modularization and abstraction you say?

do go on

that being said, circuit diagrams are still, well, diagrams. for some reason a visual layout is the preferred notation there. i guess we could write hdl for pcbs? maybe people should idk.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I remember some episode of the computer chronicles from like the late 80s where they demoed some program that let you write code by connecting boxes together on the screen and it's 30 years later and I'm still waiting.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dijkstra was right when he said programming is basically symbolic manipulation

you could maybe imagine some interfaces to make manipulating the symbols slightly better than a simple text editor, but I don't think it would really improve much

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Presto posted:

I remember some episode of the computer chronicles from like the late 80s where they demoed some program that let you write code by connecting boxes together on the screen and it's 30 years later and I'm still waiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIMmDVLqh1s

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i should be able to tell the computer what i want the result to be, and have it write the program for me

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

i should be able to tell the computer what i want the result to be, and have it write the program for me

these people also come out of the woodwork on every programming language project, apparently just to lord over us how pointless our life's work is going to be

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

same, except people instead of computers

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

rjmccall posted:

these people also come out of the woodwork on every programming language project, apparently just to lord over us how pointless our life's work is going to be

isn’t this just prolog?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

isn’t this just prolog?

it's just declarative programming in general

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

rjmccall posted:

and then the other people chime in about how we should just edit ASTs using a Sufficiently Advanced Editor and then every user can dynamically reskin those to resemble their favorite language and how this would solve essentially all the problems in programming language design and code collaboration

i'd actually love to watch someone try using such a system on a large project and plot their blood pressure with respect to time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh i suspect the next big thing, by necessity, will be "how can we make a computer do the same thing for a hundred years while potentially replacing every aspect of it". either some big companies will have to step up, or a lot of things will have to get a lot more abstract

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

I mean *real* code.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

and then the other people chime in about how we should just edit ASTs using a Sufficiently Advanced Editor and then every user can dynamically reskin those to resemble their favorite language and how this would solve essentially all the problems in programming language design and code collaboration

i'd actually love to watch someone try using such a system on a large project and plot their blood pressure with respect to time

This is, I think, also somewhat related to this idea of "the antisocial programmer": a genius who is too smart to talk to other people or work on a team. These people hate any kind of meetings, or working with others, and they consider programming an individual, intellectual sport rather than a sort of collaborative, social problem-solving.

Any tools in support of clear communication are shunned because they waste they individual's time, who needs to crank out genius-level code. To them, pair programming, helping others by looking over each other's shoulders, etc. are major violations of their privacy and not "how coding is supposed to happen", so there's no need to care about a common lingua franca to program in.

The messy "human" inefficiencies are solved through "just reformat the code you want to see it and the tool takes care of the rest", which lets them have ideal code purity designed for their tastes and sensibilities.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
its me, the programmer who considers routine pairing a waste of resources (it means you've hired inferior programmers)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

carry on then posted:

it's just declarative programming in general

it's just programming in general

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

wow, modularization and abstraction you say?

do go on

that being said, circuit diagrams are still, well, diagrams. for some reason a visual layout is the preferred notation there. i guess we could write hdl for pcbs? maybe people should idk.

honestly, we should

we could call the language we use for something like that a Hardware Description Language

you’ll be unsurprised to learn that this is about what Symbolics’ “NI” was, a productized version of the electronics and VLSI design tool they developed in-house and that they used to design the later 3600-series systems, the Ivory systems, the MacIvory coprocessors, and the later consoles

which isn’t to say you couldn’t see a graphical view or even work in it, but you were always interacting with a structured description of a system rather than some sort of unstructured graphics editor, just like in the S-Graphics tools (which eventually became Izware Mirai and predated Inventor by many years)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Presto posted:

late 80s or early 90s means it was probably a demonstration of Prograph which actually had a surprising amount of penetration for custom business software, probably because people who built spreadsheets to run their business could also work with it

it might also mean Sirius Developer which eventually became Novell AppBuilder and was a Prograph competitor, I have an original CD of their cross platform version that supported OpenDoc part development

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

you can do this with fuzzing and random code generation

it just takes a while

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

in .NET 1.0 this was actually feasible as long as your favorite language was either C# or VB.NET as they were just superficially different syntax for identical semantics

after that point semantic divergence happened

e: this is also feasible between Macintosh C and Macintosh Pascal since the former supports Macintosh Pascal constructs (length-prefixed strings, Pascal calling conventions) and the latter supports Macintosh C constructs (zero-terminated strings, C calling conventions, preprocessing, types needed for systems programming)

eschaton fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 10, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pair programming hype is the ideological face of management's refusal to train devs

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Or pair programming is actually a riot where fun is had by all.

Man you need to tell a fellow toucher what to type, it's hilarious

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
No no no, name the list gazpacho because it will be full of boring stuff. We can clean it up later

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbqh i suspect the next big thing, by necessity, will be "how can we make a computer do the same thing for a hundred years while potentially replacing every aspect of it". either some big companies will have to step up, or a lot of things will have to get a lot more abstract

for a reasonable definition of "make a computer do the same thing for a very long time" we're most definitely doing that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

isn’t this just prolog?

prolog absolutely requires the same general set of technical skills as any other kind of programming. it makes very specific programs easier to write, but you basically need a working understanding of the search algorithm in order to do non-trivial work in it

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
the idea of prolog is to describe your input and output and the language furnishes a program.

in trivial cases this works. in meaningful cases it's intractable. in practice, the idea of prolog was a complete failure.

prolog the actual language is kind of a neat way of thinking about some things, though.

writing programs that are not restricted to a narrow domain is intrinsically, inescapably difficult. we still can't really teach humans how to compose complex programs, so it shouldn't be surprising that we have met with limited success in replacing programmers with programs. i think the best thing to aim for is tools and techniques to help people manage the complexity of software, rather than hoping to hide it or make it disappear via some sleight of hand.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Internet Janitor posted:

the idea of prolog is to describe your input and output and the language furnishes a program.

in trivial cases this works. in meaningful cases it's intractable. in practice, the idea of prolog was a complete failure.

prolog the actual language is kind of a neat way of thinking about some things, though.

writing programs that are not restricted to a narrow domain is intrinsically, inescapably difficult. we still can't really teach humans how to compose complex programs, so it shouldn't be surprising that we have met with limited success in replacing programmers with programs. i think the best thing to aim for is tools and techniques to help people manage the complexity of software, rather than hoping to hide it or make it disappear via some sleight of hand.

this is a rly good post

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MC Perlis posted:

When someone says: "I want a programming language in which I need only say what I wish done", give him a lollipop.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

eschaton posted:

what if code, but a database!

what if an image

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Unreal blueprints are a crime against humanity

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the most surprising part of prolog to me is that it's kind of annoying to do arithmetic in it, I'm still trying to figure out a way for unification to work with some simple maths

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

isn’t this just prolog?

just @ me next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
what if code, but too much?