Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

dude the male original's theme is stupid good.

i don't know how they're gonna top it when it gets an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Looks like its a primarily melee attacker. I'm pretty sure the Vangray and upgrades were exclusively ranged right?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zore posted:

Looks like its a primarily melee attacker. I'm pretty sure the Vangray and upgrades were exclusively ranged right?

Vangray was ranged but you could choose between ranged/melee upgrades.

Probably just doing the opposite this time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KoB posted:

Vangray was ranged but you could choose between ranged/melee upgrades.

Probably just doing the opposite this time.

It was just Real/Super as a choice. Almkst all of the VangNex and GranVangs attacks ran off ranged including their finishers.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
How much should I get in gift card form to get the game and the DLC Season Pass? I'm gonna go digital this time.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

drrockso20 posted:

For me the stages that are the worst are the early game ones where you are dealing with a full enemy load but you only have a couple units, at least one or two you just got so they aren't as useful as they could be, those ones are often annoying to play(the stage in V where you first get Great Mazinger and Black Getter is a prime example of this)

I swear every SRW game that I have played to completion have a bell curve with this poo poo.

The early stages are very meh because you're fighting either no enemies on giant maps with very few ally units, or you're fighting a poo poo ton of enemies on giant maps with very few ally units.

The mid-game is always great because units are going through mid-series upgrades, you're getting more units, and the enemies have HP ratios that aren't complete slogs but they aren't total push overs either.

And then you get to late game where every enemy is Broly.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Zore posted:

Tempesta is melee?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

Tempesta is melee?

If thats the green tornado attack, yeah.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Zore posted:

If thats the green tornado attack, yeah.

Nah that's VARTEX.

Probably they meant vortex. Maybe.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The question is whether they will keep those names come the english version.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

If they went out of their way to write it in English instead of katakana, probably.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ShiunTouya posted:

If they went out of their way to write it in English instead of katakana, probably.

I assume they will correct the spelling on Vortex. And maybe Ignis, but definitely Vortex.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've got a quick SR Point question for SRW V: I'm on Chapter 10 with the SR objective to defeat Wolfgang. I've got Mightgaine stacked with Orders to guarantee a critical and ignore all defenses/size differences, as well as Soji on deck with the same setup to act as the Support, both using their most powerful attacks but I'm always coming up short by a couple hundred HP. Is there a trick I'm missing? Or is this just a situation where I have to scratch him as close to 5500 as possible before going all out? I usually go for it around 6000-6500 because I don't want to risk creeping over the line. That's what I figure the situation is and I realize I can just get it on NG+ but I'm just asking to make sure there isn't some trick, like I don't have enough units to surround him (and have a Support attack) and I don't have Valor or anything like that.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Prism posted:

I assume they will correct the spelling on Vortex. And maybe Ignis, but definitely Vortex.

It's definitely not in latin, at least, because Tempesta is a word in catalan and italian and not latin, so I'm not too sure about that being Ignis either. However, dogma is latin, so who knows what the hell they are doing.

征嵐の壱拾陸式:TEMPESTA (せいらんのじゅうろくしき テンペスタ)

旋風の弐拾伍式:VARTEX (せんぷうのにじゅうごしき ヴァーテクス)

ShiunTouya fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 10, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Policenaut posted:

I've got a quick SR Point question for SRW V: I'm on Chapter 10 with the SR objective to defeat Wolfgang. I've got Mightgaine stacked with Orders to guarantee a critical and ignore all defenses/size differences, as well as Soji on deck with the same setup to act as the Support, both using their most powerful attacks but I'm always coming up short by a couple hundred HP. Is there a trick I'm missing? Or is this just a situation where I have to scratch him as close to 5500 as possible before going all out? I usually go for it around 6000-6500 because I don't want to risk creeping over the line. That's what I figure the situation is and I realize I can just get it on NG+ but I'm just asking to make sure there isn't some trick, like I don't have enough units to surround him (and have a Support attack) and I don't have Valor or anything like that.

Can you surround Wolfgang on all 4 sides for the damage bonus you get from that?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the Analyze spell, or whatever it is -- it increases damage taken by 10%.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hokuto posted:

Except stage 18. gently caress that stage forever and always.

No! There is a secret to it! It only took me 5 runs to figure it out! You pair up Rishu and Raul so you can use Raul's twin command Confuse and then you split and play as normal and the NPCs are invincible!

Policenaut posted:

You figured out the trick, you need to get him closer to the threshold. Use someone's trash vulcan attack to get him to ~5700 and you should be good loaded up with ignored defence and guaranteed crit. Throw in Analyze if anyone has it + the surround bonus combined with Soji's guaranteed support crit and it should be ok.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I got it!

Also I've never seen/read anything about Cross Ange but I just got Villkiss and I really like its theme music.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

The question is whether they will keep those names come the english version.
On the other hand, I'm half-expecting IGNEST to be accidentally misspelled INGEST by the localization team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Thanks for the help, everyone! I got it!

Also I've never seen/read anything about Cross Ange but I just got Villkiss and I really like its theme music.
cross ange itself is an uneven mess with a few really, really bad moments but its implementation in SRWV is pretty strong

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Cross Ange ends up supporting a lot of the other series really well in V. The Leonard/Embryo stuff in particular is pretty great.

Ange herself is also one of the most ridiculous units in the game too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I don't like Cross Ange at all but it works really well in V's crossover. Such is the miracle of SRW.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ryoga posted:

Wake me up when Captain Harlock gets confirmed for the next Carrier only series.

was there already a carrier-only SRW game?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Flavahbeast posted:

was there already a carrier-only SRW game?

I was mostly referring to how we have 2 games in a row so far with only a carrier unit to represent it with yamato and nadia.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ryoga posted:

I was mostly referring to how we have 2 games in a row so far with only a carrier unit to represent it with yamato and nadia.

Hey, they showed the Gratan in PV2!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technically Yamato had its lovely jets too.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Hokuto posted:

Hey, they showed the Gratan in PV2!

Do we know if Nadia will pilot anything? I kind of want them to give her an original wizard-bot too, complete with an animal familiar.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HitTheTargets posted:

Do we know if Nadia will pilot anything? I kind of want them to give her an original wizard-bot too, complete with an animal familiar.

Having King as a familiar would be amazing

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

They stuck pretty close to canon with Yamato, to the point where Akira only gets a separate unit for, like, one stage. I don't see why they would do anything different with Nadia.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Nadia is the only Gainax thing I know basically nothing about. There aren't any condensed movies or anything I can watch before X comes out, are there?

edit: I mean, for things before 2006 or so when I stopped watching anime TV shows for the most part.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nadia is the only Gainax thing I know basically nothing about. There aren't any condensed movies or anything I can watch before X comes out, are there?
There's a movie where the first 30 or so minutes is a recap but it sucks.

Nadia is a good show though so its worth taking the time to watch. Even the relatively bad "Island arc" of the series has some kind of neat beats in it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

There's a movie where the first 30 or so minutes is a recap but it sucks.

Nadia is a good show though so its worth taking the time to watch. Even the relatively bad "Island arc" of the series has some kind of neat beats in it.
These days I just can't stand the format of TV anime. Each episode is like a tiny speck of meaningful new content surrounded by recaps and unnecessary explanations of things. A condensed movie version usually cuts most of that stuff out.

edit: I like SRW better because the text appears page at a time and I can read it waaaaay faster than the equivalent stuff happens in a TV anime.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 11, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Some things lose impact without hearing the actual line spoken aloud. Other things....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Brain Powerd is still definitely something that has to be seen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

Brain Powerd is still definitely something that has to be seen.
Beyond the first few episodes I watched a compilation of all the most insane things people (especially Jonathan) said so I feel I'm good.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Shoutouts to the Izumi Translators out there working hard every day

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

EthanSteele posted:

Shoutouts to the Izumi Translators out there working hard every day

Maybe we should get Brunom to work with them, that way we can read more of his work at making Izumi's puns work in English.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Inferno-sama posted:

Maybe we should get Brunom to work with them, that way we can read more of his work at making Izumi's puns work in English.

I can see it now, my discord lighting up with the sound of a thousand wails in Brunom's PMs to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im sad izumi and hikaru were just call-ins

especially since freaking saburouta was playable.

• Locked thread