Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Splinter posted:

Your terminology here is a bit confusing. All TRS cables can pass a balanced, mono signal if the gear on both sides of the cable has balanced inputs/outputs. If both connections aren't balanced, then the signal isn't balanced, regardless of whether you use a TRS or TS cable. If you're using a TRS cable to send a stereo signal (e.g. a headphone out), the signal will always be unbalanced. TS cables (like a standard instrument cable) only support an unbalanced, mono signal.

I believe your entire signal path from synth to the 18i8's inputs is unbalanced, so mixing in some TS cables will work without issue (and in fact these would be the 'correct' cables to use). Usually using TRS cables with unbalanced gear works fine, the exception being what whiter than a Wilco show mentioned about using TRS cables with battery powered stomp box inputs. Where you can sometimes run into trouble is going from unbalanced output > TRS cable > balanced input, but it doesn't look like that applies to your setup.

You are 100% right, I hosed up my terminology. Everywhere that I said (unbal), I meant that I was using a TS Cable, not a TRS. Sorry for the confusion, I am still new to this stuff and trying to get things straight in my head. I am using ALL TS Cables in my chain from Minilogue -> Pedals -> Interface. I have the CH-2 and RV-6 pedals from Boss that both have dual outputs so I am going to play with that a bit to see how it comes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Here's my pedalboard I currently have. Note that I have a ditto x4 and not two ditto x2s.

Please tell me what you think.

I like the ability to play a real raw, unfiltered guitar signal mixed in with a couple overdrives and muffs. Like to play noisy music like Metz all the way to ultra clean like Belle and Sebastian.

Currently using a Fender Jazzmaster with a blackfaced Fender Pro Reverb.

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 4, 2018

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Sadly, it seems the Han-Taun is not going to work for me. After comparing it to my other overdrives I realized that it cuts a pretty significant amount of low end, so it's not really usable for bass.

I'd really like to try the Earthquaker Bellows. If only there was a dealer somewhere close to me...

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Here's my pedalboard I currently have. Note that I have a ditto x4 and not two ditto x2s.

Please tell me what you think.

Well you have no modulation. Phasers are always fun for noise. You could also go the abundant overdrive option too. Something that sits between SF and BMP.

Also stacking delays is awesome.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Well you have no modulation. Phasers are always fun for noise. You could also go the abundant overdrive option too. Something that sits between SF and BMP.

Also stacking delays is awesome.

Oh snap, I just realized I forgot my Fulltone OCD. It sits in just after my Big Muff in my overdrive circuit.

I was thinking of getting either a Line 6 DL4 https://line6.com/stompbox-modelers/
or a Digitech Whammy https://digitech.com/en/products/whammy-4th-gen next. Thoughts?? What's a fun mod pedal to use?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Wowwwweeee this Behringer HM2 clone does exactly what I want a synth fuzz/distortion to do. I think I wanna build one! Someone (Bhabi?) linked some pcbs earlier here right? Those looked pretty cool. Anyone have that link?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

JamesKPolk posted:

Wowwwweeee this Behringer HM2 clone does exactly what I want a synth fuzz/distortion to do. I think I wanna build one! Someone (Bhabi?) linked some pcbs earlier here right? Those looked pretty cool. Anyone have that link?

Just checked the clone out and wow, its only $25? I might get one just for fun to throw on my synth if it has a cool sound to it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JamesKPolk posted:

http://peperspedals.blogspot.co.nz/2018/01/pepers-pedals-hm-too-many-clones-build.html
http://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/details/PepersPedals/5880/hm2-v1-1-panel-zip

If you have questions ask here or pm me so as not to poo poo up the thread.

Pepers' Pedals might have a Sunn Beta/Lead fet translation preamp pedal coming soon, as well. I know this because Tony is cool and will tell you as much if you ask.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A pedal building thread would be loving awesome hint hint. I have an overdrive kit that’s overdue to be built and I’d like to eventually get into making noise machines and simple synth boxes.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

hy + ty. Looks like really solid build docs (like all my modding questions (so far) were answered).

Snowy posted:

A pedal building thread would be loving awesome hint hint. I have an overdrive kit that’s overdue to be built and I’d like to eventually get into making noise machines and simple synth boxes.

I'd be down for something like that. I'll make an OP when I have time but that'll be in a month or so probably so anyone feel free to scoop me.

MrSargent posted:

Just checked the clone out and wow, its only $25? I might get one just for fun to throw on my synth if it has a cool sound to it.

Well its an HM2 so if you didn't spend your teens listening to swedish dbeat I can't promise its gonna hit the same nostalgic notes.

If you're in the mood to throw $25-30 at a bunch of effects though this is a really handy chart:
http://thetoneking.com/wp/behringer-stomp-box-cross-comparison-chart/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Made the DIY Pedals thread guys: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851429

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

hy + ty. Looks like really solid build docs (like all my modding questions (so far) were answered).

I'd be down for something like that. I'll make an OP when I have time but that'll be in a month or so probably so anyone feel free to scoop me.

Well its an HM2 so if you didn't spend your teens listening to swedish dbeat I can't promise its gonna hit the same nostalgic notes.

If you're in the mood to throw $25-30 at a bunch of effects though this is a really handy chart:
http://thetoneking.com/wp/behringer-stomp-box-cross-comparison-chart/

Yah, I kinda contracted a case of pedalitis after buying an OS-2 pedal for my TR-8 to distort some 808s. From there I bought a RV-6, CH-1, and Bass Big Muff for my Minilogue over the course of about 3 weeks, haha.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

moving discussion from Guitar thread...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pretty much you've discovered the "clean boost" setting of a tube screamer, which everyone uses out front of a decent amp. I hear the old slayer tone is a 10band eq with the mids all the way up, a pro co rat, and an accidentally beastly jcm800 that had everything right go wrong for it.

I use a tube screamer into a bogner uberschall pedal for some pretty beefy but articulate vintage high gain action on my JCM800 at cop friendly volumes (high preamp, low master vol), but the best way is to get an attenuator so you can pump up the master volume to get both preamp and power amp distortion without disturbing the peace.

So this is going to sound really stupid, but why would people not just use a boost pedal to achieve this? Is it the combination of boost + low cut that a TS gets? I thought the TS compresses and adds mids - which is exactly the kind of thing that a Fender needs (being mid-scooped) and a Marshall doesn't (being mid-humped) ?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Southern Heel posted:

moving discussion from Guitar thread...

So this is going to sound really stupid, but why would people not just use a boost pedal to achieve this? Is it the combination of boost + low cut that a TS gets? I thought the TS compresses and adds mids - which is exactly the kind of thing that a Fender needs (being mid-scooped) and a Marshall doesn't (being mid-humped) ?

TS gives you a mid-hump boost. That’s it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

the low cut helps make palm muted notes sound more well-defined

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Found someone selling a Way Huge Green Rhino for double cheap so I'll see how that pans out.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
AmpTweaker FatMetal Pro review: shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit that sounds good

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I have a vocoder/talkbox question! In this world, there is only one kind of vocoder/talkbox sound that I want, (I was recently educated that these are different things, the cruxes of the issue apparently being which frequencies can be modulated, and method of operation) and it's Cory from this spectacular performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFWz_6hnAEI

Exactly what kind of synth patch is he vocoding to get that crisp tone?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I have a vocoder/talkbox question! In this world, there is only one kind of vocoder/talkbox sound that I want, (I was recently educated that these are different things, the cruxes of the issue apparently being which frequencies can be modulated, and method of operation) and it's Cory from this spectacular performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFWz_6hnAEI

Exactly what kind of synth patch is he vocoding to get that crisp tone?

This performance uses a vocoder, not a talkbox. You can tell the difference because a talkbox has a plastic tube connected to it that you put in your mouth, the tube carries the sound and you modulate it with your mouth. Vocoder on the other hand, you send your voice into the machine and you typically see this as in the video, with a microphone input connected to the vocoder.

As for the synth patch, good question. I might play around with the Ableton Vocoder when I get home and see if I can get close.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

MrSargent posted:

This performance uses a vocoder, not a talkbox. You can tell the difference because a talkbox has a plastic tube connected to it that you put in your mouth, the tube carries the sound and you modulate it with your mouth. Vocoder on the other hand, you send your voice into the machine and you typically see this as in the video, with a microphone input connected to the vocoder.

As for the synth patch, good question. I might play around with the Ableton Vocoder when I get home and see if I can get close.

thank you very much!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Found someone selling a Way Huge Green Rhino for double cheap so I'll see how that pans out.

WHGR is pretty sweet - it's got a 100hz boost/cut which I've got at about 25% and it's shelving off the very bottom of the EQ nicely. Vol maxed, Tone at 90% and Drive at 10% - certainly brings everything into a more narrow spectrum. I gather because the Marshall is already quite middy, when the TS hump hits it the mids just compress and get all saturated without ending up a hairy mess.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Oh my, the Broughton Sunder Fuzz might be the best fuzz pedal I've ever heard. The EQ is just so much more usable than any other fuzz I've tried on bass.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tweezer Reprise posted:

thank you very much!

I think I've mentioned it before in the synth thread, but if you have even the slightest interest in vocoders (or vocal processing in general), you need to read Dave Thompkins' How to Wreck a Nice Beach: The Vocoder from World War II to Hip-Hop.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

After The War posted:

I think I've mentioned it before in the synth thread, but if you have even the slightest interest in vocoders (or vocal processing in general), you need to read Dave Thompkins' How to Wreck a Nice Beach: The Vocoder from World War II to Hip-Hop.

oh, kickass! totally getting this

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Monday Morning Pedal People:

Here is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

You are to assemble the a mini/ultra portable pedal board.

You have $500 (American) to buy any combination of pedals you want.

The pedal board and power supply are “free.”

Genre is your choice, but you do have to “label” your board.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

You are to assemble the a mini/ultra portable pedal board.

You have $500 (American) to buy any combination of pedals you want.

The pedal board and power supply are “free.”

Genre is your choice, but you do have to “label” your board.

Hard Rock: Polytune, Way Huge Green Rhino, Boss DM-2w, Catalinbread Talisman - the only thing missing is some kind of modulation. I don't use it to bother buying a pedal but a Dunlop Mini Wah, or one of those all-in-one phaser/vibe/chorus pedals should do.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Captain Apollo posted:

Are we going to have a rule to cover used gear? Only if something is out of production, and average price sold for on eBay?

It's also okay if you want to stay with new stuff, just to keep it simple/easier for international posters.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I’ll play - this is pretty much my current practice board at the moment anyways:
Rock/Alternative board:
Smallsound/Bigsound Mini ($160) - my current favorite crunchy overdrive
EXH OpAmp Big Muff reissue ($80) - Pumpkins in a box
Caroline Guitar Company Parabola ($200) - Awesome tremolo with a great “filtered trem” setting that helps the effect sit better and not get cheesy, with a gain section that can easily sub in for an overdrive in a pinch.
And with the leftover I’d probably try to find a Super Hard On clone or similar boost.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
kirk hammett special: diezel vh4-2 distortion and mc404 wah

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Genre: Me loving around on the couch.

$650 worth of random Death By Audio pedals. One of them won't work so I'll actually be under $500.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Budget Psychedelic Sludge Board but also other music too

Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz ($25)
ProCo Turbo Rat ($100)
Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay ($25)
MXR Phase 90 ($60)
Polytune3 ($100)
EHX Micro POG ($150)

$40 left over to buy a bunch of dirt weed.

Edit: I don’t use wah pedals. I know. It’s weird.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 2, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

$40 left over to buy a bunch of dirt weed.

Nah, you need another delay. For some reason. I don't know why.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Edit: I don’t use wah pedals. I know. It’s weird.

I would if anyone made really good ones with true bypass :( I might get the mini since it’s tb or suck it up and see if I like the buffer on the Petrucci sig since that one sounds amazing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would if anyone made really good ones with true bypass :( I might get the mini since it’s tb or suck it up and see if I like the buffer on the Petrucci sig since that one sounds amazing.

All wah pedals are buffered bypass?

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s probably a great buffer. Making a great buffer is a solved problem that is inexpensive. The Klon buffer is 9 components. I’d say go for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Most seem to be unfortunately.

I’m incredibly picky about buffered pedals and haven’t always liked the Dunlop approach but if it’s good enough for Petrucci then it’s probably good enough for me!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kilometers Davis posted:

My 535Q is true bypass, that's the reason I got it. But the boost and variable Q/range are why I love it - really helps solos cut through.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
RMC (Teese) wahs are all true bypass

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ll check those out too. Not super familiar with the brand.

After The War posted:

My 535Q is true bypass, that's the reason I got it. But the boost and variable Q/range are why I love it - really helps solos cut through.

Oh neat I didn’t know that! I’ll compare it with the mini and the JP and go from there.

e: dang the 535Q might be exactly what I want

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Found a local store with a bunch of Earthquaker stuff, so today I went and tried some overdrives on bass. I was really enjoying the Bellows, but after going back and forth for a while I ended up preferring the Westwood. The Bellows can get gnarlier, but the extra EQ on the Westwood makes it a lot more versatile overall.

I'm falling down the dirt box rabbit hole- there are like 4-5 other ones I feel like I need to test drive ASAP. The store is also a Wren & Cuff dealer, so I was hoping they would have a Suppa Phat Phuk, but no such luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Juaguocio posted:

Found a local store with a bunch of Earthquaker stuff, so today I went and tried some overdrives on bass. I was really enjoying the Bellows, but after going back and forth for a while I ended up preferring the Westwood. The Bellows can get gnarlier, but the extra EQ on the Westwood makes it a lot more versatile overall.

I'm falling down the dirt box rabbit hole- there are like 4-5 other ones I feel like I need to test drive ASAP. The store is also a Wren & Cuff dealer, so I was hoping they would have a Suppa Phat Phuk, but no such luck.

I'm going to Chicago Music Exchange before our show next Saturday... I think I need to leave my credit card at home or I'll be coming home with another pedal...

I want to build a Rat clone with a blend for bass, but some of those other pedals might be interesting to try as well.