Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

BiggerBoat posted:

Curious myself but reasonably confident that pretty much everybody knows who Shazam is.

I think you are greatly overestimating awareness of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I keep thinking it's Kazam.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shazam was that genie movie with Sonbad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In the comics, do they go full Big with it and have Shazam getting laid?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

...by Zeus, who transforms into a 13-year-old girl.

No, he hasn’t told Diana where he went.

In other news,
https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/972236823937409032

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Captain Marvel used to be huge. Captain Marvel Jr was Elvis' favorite hero

But yeah recent decades have not been kind to the Big Red cheese

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The MSJ posted:

...by Zeus, who transforms into a 13-year-old girl.

No, he hasn’t told Diana where he went.

In other news,
https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/972236823937409032

I absolutely adored Logan, but every other X-Men movie just kind of inspires a "man, I guess so" response to me. Kind of funny to see how far we've come from black leather, though.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Fart City posted:

I absolutely adored Logan, but every other X-Men movie just kind of inspires a "man, I guess so" response to me. Kind of funny to see how far we've come from black leather, though.

Well, what would you prefer? Yellow spandex?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it's pretty lame how we still haven't had a decent superpower fight in a X-Men movie despite the series being perfect for them.

Hell, supposedly the Stands from Jojo were partially inspired by a fight between Professor Xavier and another telepath using ghosts as metaphors for their psychic battle.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

I have a feeling they're likely to distance Shazam from the rest of the DCEU, which would be a shame, I think. Part of the fun of Shazam as a DC property is his interactions with other superheroes, like I said before. Batman sees something of a kindred spirit, while there's famously that comic where Superman is shocked when he finds out Shazam's true identity, and immediately flies off to chew out the wizard for putting that burden on a child.

For what is worth, there have been rumors of Cavill's Superman making an appearance.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Well, what would you prefer? Yellow spandex?

Logan is amazing, but I kind of do wish evil Logan had a bit of the classic outfit to him just because it's the last time we're seeing the character in a movie for a while and it would actually fit with what the movie was going for with that glamorized stuff being bullshit.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

Logan is amazing, but I kind of do wish evil Logan had a bit of the classic outfit to him just because it's the last time we're seeing the character in a movie for a while and it would actually fit with what the movie was going for with that glamorized stuff being bullshit.

No lie it would have been rad as gently caress to see Evil Logan show up in the outfit teased in The Wolverine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!
The X-Men don't actually get the opportunity to be superheroes much, most of the movies are basically about their personal vendettas and/or fighting back against/running from the hostile government.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

I have a feeling they're likely to distance Shazam from the rest of the DCEU, which would be a shame, I think. Part of the fun of Shazam as a DC property is his interactions with other superheroes, like I said before. Batman sees something of a kindred spirit, while there's famously that comic where Superman is shocked when he finds out Shazam's true identity, and immediately flies off to chew out the wizard for putting that burden on a child.

Well, here's the actor playing Freddy Freeman wearing the "remember" Superman shirt from 'Suicide Squad' on set. So it certainly seems like it's connected to the larger DC movie universe.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder that the Beatles sang about Captain Marvel

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The problem with Logan was that it was in the end just a comic book movie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

porfiria posted:

The problem with Logan was that it was in the end just a comic book movie.

was it? I didn't notice,

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Reminder that they had those fun as hell Shazam cartoon shorts on CN a while back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1GlfHo6Dnc&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNyBWgOg7D0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fYUTpq0Ous

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For what is worth, there have been rumors of Cavill's Superman making an appearance.

A weeping Captain Marvel putting down a misguided/brainwashed Superman would be kind of bizarro

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Probably gonna get the Supes shames the wizard panel, huh? Gotta groom that Daddy Superman image.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shazam should end with Superman and Shazam in the ring, Rocky style.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

But will the movie include the most important captain marvel character???

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

corn in the bible posted:

But will the movie include the most important captain marvel character???

I'd love to see a comic movie where during certain scenes the colors were just half a millimeter or so off from the rest of the image.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In one of the dumbass reboots they gave the talking tiger superpowers and he ate a man, which is missing the point in a multitude of ways.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reportedly the man did not taste good. He treated grrrrrrrreat!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

These are awesome. I hope the new movie has a literal manchild has to battle a sentient talking caterpillar.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd love to see a comic movie where during certain scenes the colors were just half a millimeter or so off from the rest of the image.

I wonder if that's a printing thing, or a form of shading?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

These are awesome. I hope the new movie has a literal manchild has to battle a sentient talking caterpillar.

i dont know if they really need to bring back all of the captain marvel villains

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 11, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

corn in the bible posted:

i dont know if they really need to bring back all of the captain marvel villains

I'm not very familiar with the original Captain Marvel but if this is his rouges gallery then I'm making him my favorite super hero.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I'm gonna sit in this chair until I get my god drat Mr. Banjo movie, and if that means that this is where I'll die, then well sir, I'll have died honorably.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not very familiar with the original Captain Marvel but if this is his rouges gallery then I'm making him my favorite super hero.

It pretty much is. Captain Marvel has some loving amazing villains.

Dr. Sivana (who predates Lex Luthor) is basically Lex Luthor But Better And Crazier.
Mr. Mind of course completely owns.
Black Adam is the most popular one and you've probably heard of him.
King Kull is an ancient caveman who also has supertechnology because gently caress you.
Mr. Atom is an invincible rear end in a top hat robot defeated only by hubris
IBAC is like budget Black Atom. He was a crook who went to hell and was given the combined powers of Atilla the Hun, Cesare Borgia, Ivan the Terrible and Caligula. (IBAC together.) He sucks and is hilarious.
Mr. Banjo has the power of taking on a superpowered hero with nothing but a loving banjo.
Nippo... okay let's not talk about Nippo. Yikes.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I want to hear about the inimitable Captain Nazi.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

josh04 posted:

It's an amazing list but I am most intrigued by this man of mystery, as well.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

josh04 posted:

He is exactly what you’d think he’d be. Captain Marvel villains, minus Black Adam, are all as subtle as mortar fire.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Captain Nazi is basically

Well
Captain America but a Nazi. he's way stronger than Steve Rogers and has drugs that let him fly, but otherwise his origin is pretty much just Captain America, but in Nazi Germany.

He's also public domain

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Man, real talk, I'd friggin kill for a Fawcett Comics cinematic universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

Captain Nazi is Captain America but a Nazi and also he is (in some version) the one who crippled Captain Marvel Jr.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm a little let down by Thor Ragnarok. Going by the trailers I was expecting it to be a decent action-comedy that also happens to look gorgeous but its at best just "alright". Theres some really good stuff in there but its just ruined by some poor lighting and a lack of some truly great jokes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

In a better world Thor: Ragnarok was two movies, one all about Sakarr, the other all about returning to Asgard. Shoving the two together did the narrative no favors and resulted in a sometimes tonally disjointed movie. A movie I still really really liked, mind you, but one in which you can't help but see that there was more to do than the time allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Reminder that the Beatles sang about Captain Marvel

And how does that make the character relevant to modern audiences?