Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Thinking about purchasing this tonight. Do I need to buy any of the expansions to make it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Thinking about purchasing this tonight. Do I need to buy any of the expansions to make it good?

The last one's pretty good, but no the patches should be enough to figure out if you like it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ignorant Hick posted:

For anyone who's done communist Japan, how much party support did you have before launching the civil war? I did it with 54% communist support and the fascists still start with about double my divisions. I've been repeating the request Soviet assistance decision and now we're about even. They're the only reason I've been making progress because the fascists still have over 70 divisions in Tokyo and the surrounding mountains. I'm taking one province at a time using waves of soviet divisions and can probably take Tokyo soon, but I have to be doing something wrong cause I have no idea how you'd do this without what is probably an exploit.

Edit: Yep, won the war. Now I have 51 Soviet volunteer divisions that I can't disband or change lol

Same issue here of volunteer forces I can't do anything about. Also, requesting forces from puppet gave me control over their army but they would never execute the orders.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

sexpig by night posted:

I'm kinda curious what the next expansion is gonna be. It feels like most major players now have pretty interesting trees with plenty of alternate history options and all. Maybe an Allies focused one to get some more wide options for North America/Brits/Russia? I'd kinda love a 'minor powers' focused one that gives guys like fuckin Turkey and Mexico and all neat options, they were not unimportant but obviously not the main focuses of the time and all.

I assume (or hope) that the next one is a smaller expansion aimed solely at focus trees for Nat/Rep Spain (plus maybe Portugal). Beyond that, South America is in some serious need of attention, both in fleshing out the nations and in making the resources down there actually not batshit stupid.

A Scandinavia DLC is probably also inevitable and I'm honestly surprised Paradox hasn't put out a Swedish focus tree yet as freeDLC.

But yeah, this expansion is real good. So far I've done:

-Democratic Germany with ahistorical AI (fun and challenging as hell as I fought both the Comintern and a French-Italian fascist alliance simultaneously)
-Gran Colombia for the achievement (fun and definitely different, but warfare down south is a real slog)
-Manchukuo game that I just started up this morning

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 12, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Most of the ahistorical Japan paths tend to get wildly broken since there's a bug where when Pu-Yi takes the Assertive focus, Manchukuo switches to whatever government type Japan happens to be at the time. This will kill Pu-Yi and also break a lot of the scripting where the Japanese fascists are supposed to be hiding in Manchukuo.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Rules of Thumb for Hearts of Iron 4:
1: Industry is maximum priority. Devote one research slot to it at all times.
1a: Land Doctrine is maximum priority. Devote one research slot to it at all times.

2: Infantry Equipment is how you convert useless manpower to useful divisions. It's also the cheapest thing in the game. If you have to ration your factories, focus on Infantry.
2a: Air Contesting is high priority, because air superiority bonus is good and having enemy CAS active is really bad. Always be producing fighters. If you have to ration your factories, put 8 aluminum on fighters and the rest on infantry.

3: Rule of thumb, you can have a good air force or a good navy, not both.
3a: The best navy is land-based naval bombers.
3b: Either way, keep your air/sea doctrine cooking if you can spare the research time. Ships need that organization to not die, and planes need those bonuses to really wreck poo poo.

4: Infrastructure provides +10% construction speed per level. That means develop high infrastructure provinces first. Build Infrastructure for the first year, and do it in provinces with more than four open building slots to get the most out of it.

5: Most starting infantry divisions are okay, but not great. Rebuild them into 7/2 Infantry/Artillery divisions as soon as you can spare the army XP. That gives you 20 combat width (ie cram four of them into one battle), and the line artillery gives you excellent soft attack compared to raw infantry.
5a: Engineer, Recon, and Artillery support are very good. Put them on everything. If you're running armoured divisions, put Maintenance support on them or you'll wind up losing as many tanks to breakdowns as you do to the enemy :wehrmacht:

6: Tanks are really good. Most warfare in HoI boils down to force concentration, breakthrough, then exploitation (if you have armour and mobile units), or grinding infantry slogs if you don't have breakthrough divisions. Tanks have very high breakthrough, which means they're very good at attacking, and they also have the mobility to follow through with the breakthrough. Support them with Motorized (or Mechanized if you're made of factories) in order to hold the territory, because tanks are bad at defending.

Production Quotas: Applying Algebra to HoI4
Division requirements are constant - you need this many rifles and this many guns in this much time to create an infantry division. Knowing [equipment] we can determine [production required] and from that [production per day]. Divide that by [production per factory] to determine the number of factories required to produce this division. Finally, modify that by your factory output bonus and production efficiency, which are both percentages to obtain the final number. That is, either how many factories you need to produce N divisions, or how many divisions can be created by N factories. I'll show a couple examples here.

First, the basic elements of an early game mobile army:
1x Light Armor division, 2x Motorized division
Divisions train in: 180 days
LARM: 6x Light Armor, 4x Motorized: 400 Rifles, 200 Trucks, 360 Panzers (x1)
MOT: 1x Light Armor, 9x Motorized: 900 Rifles 450 Trucks 60 Panzers (x2)
Total: 2200 Rifles, 1100 Trucks, 480 Panzers required in 180 days

Infantry Equipment I is 0.5 prod/unit, Truck is 2.5 prod/unit, Light Tank II is 9 prod/unit
That means we need: 1100 production of Rifles, 2750 production of Trucks, 4320 production of Light Tank II
All that in 180 days, which gives us 6.1 prod/day of Rifles, 15.3 prod/day of Trucks, 24 prod/day of Light Tank II
Base production is 5 prod per factory per day, so factory count is thus 2:4:5 Rifles:Trucks:Pz.II to produce the light armour spearhead, modified by factory output & production efficiency.

Now, a block of infantry divisions
8x Infantry Division
Division trains in: 120 days
7x Infantry, 2x Artillery, 1 each Recon, Engineer, Artillery support
750 Rifles, 84 Cannons, 40 Support, times eight divisions
Total: 6000 Rifles, 672 Cannon, 320 Support

Infantry Equipment I is 0.5 prod/unit, Basic Cannon is 3.5 prod/unit, Support is 4 prod/unit
This means we need 3000 production of Rifles, 2352 production of Cannon, and 1280 production of Support
All that in 120 days, which gives us 25 prod/day of Rifles, 19.6 prod/day of Cannon, and 10.6 prod/day of Support
Base production is 5 prod per factory per day, so factory count is this 5:4:3 Rifles:Cannon:Support to produce 8 Infantry Divisions, modified by factory output & production efficiency.

The real caveat to this is modified by factory output and production efficiency. See, game starts in 1936 with a maximum of 50% production efficiency, which means that batch of eight infantry would require 24 factories to cook, not 12, assuming you let them all crawl up the PE gain falloff curve to 50% production efficiency. That's horrible, so the first thing you want to do is get your PE cap up and the second thing you want to do is get your factory output up to offset sub-100% PE. That means your first techs should always be Basic Machine Tools, then 1936 Machine Tools and 1936 Concentrated/Dispersed Industry. Each level of machine tools gives you another 10% PE cap, and each level of Concentrated Industry gives you +15% factory output (10% for dispersed, if you plan on getting bombed :japan:). So those three 1936 techs give you +20% PE cap and +15% factory output for 85% of maximum production. Then, once 1937 rolls around you can pick up another set of machine tools and industry for another +25% effective output (110% total), and again at 1939 (135% total) and so on. That means at gamestart, that 5 to 4 to 3 block of factories in the example will struggled to equip four infantry divisions, but in 1939 that same block of factories will easily equip ten and almost have enough to equip eleven. So we come back to rule number one, industry techs are always maximum priority.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Radio Free Kobold posted:

5: Most starting infantry divisions are okay, but not great. Rebuild them into 7/2 Infantry/Artillery divisions as soon as you can spare the army XP. That gives you 20 combat width (ie cram four of them into one battle), and the line artillery gives you excellent soft attack compared to raw infantry.

Is this still true post-Cornflakes, or has a new meta not yet crystallized? I've seen a ton of posts on the hoi4 subreddit or on the Paradox forums about how artillery got nerfed, but I don't really know the specifics.

Totally gonna put that guide in the second post though.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I don't know if it'll be the new pvp meta, but 7/2 is easy, proven, affordable, and it'll dunk on the AI just fine.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Funky Valentine posted:

An entire expansion dedicated to Liberia.

The great Free Mason state shall rise.

I was gonna say, Liberia or Albania. Hail King Zog!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I'd love to see Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Greece, Bulgaria, maybe Turkey (roughly in that order imo). The Scandinavian countries seem like sure things at some point but I just don't know what to do with Denmark, Norway or Sweden (beyond a Scandinavian alliance/conquest path).

Further out of left field, throw out some focus trees for Mexico, Iraq/Iran/Saudi Arabia/the Arabian countries, the Baltic states, and (of course) South America.

A "European minors" pack of Spain, the Low Countries, Finland and Greece seems like a fun direction for a new country pack, assuming they still want to use that release model. Maybe throw in a system to represent governments-in-exile and formations.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 12, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Podcat also mentioned on a stream that he wants to go back and take another look at Bulgaria, since it ended up on the cutting room floor when they were doing Death or Dishonor.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Does Finland not have a focus tree? I'd be surprised if it's generic, the Winter War and Continuation War was a really flavourful thing.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Does Finland not have a focus tree? I'd be surprised if it's generic, the Winter War and Continuation War was a really flavourful thing.

I think that stuff is handled by events at moment.

Edit: though afaik the continuation war isn't represented at all

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 12, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Support artillery are half price compared to pre-patch - put them on every division.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Together with the doctrine changes I now heavily favor support artillery and then SPGs instead of line artillery.
Then again I only did that as Germany, where you basically have unlimited factories and ahead of time reductions for tanks.

For those of you having problems with the Maginot line an other fortified positions, strategic bombing with the focus on bunkers is drat effective.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Over 300 hours in this game and a dumbass question:

So imagine I've got a front line set up on the border between my ally and my enemy (like... British Expeditionary Force in France). I know the battle plan system doesn't allow for this, but is there any way I can manually set my divisions to support attack an enemy province, in the event that my ally launches an actual attack? I know I can support existing attacks with CTRL+Click, but what about just telling a division "if there's a friendly attack on this province, support it automatically"?

HOI2 and HOI3 both had this, and it was really useful (and vital) when your army was playing a supporting role to a larger nation. But I don't think I've ever found a way to do it in HOI4.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Drone posted:

I know I can support existing attacks with CTRL+Click

oh dang, thanks

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Drone posted:

Over 300 hours in this game and a dumbass question:

So imagine I've got a front line set up on the border between my ally and my enemy (like... British Expeditionary Force in France). I know the battle plan system doesn't allow for this, but is there any way I can manually set my divisions to support attack an enemy province, in the event that my ally launches an actual attack? I know I can support existing attacks with CTRL+Click, but what about just telling a division "if there's a friendly attack on this province, support it automatically"?

HOI2 and HOI3 both had this, and it was really useful (and vital) when your army was playing a supporting role to a larger nation. But I don't think I've ever found a way to do it in HOI4.

They tend to do it automatically, but no, there's no command to allow you to set it up.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I can imagine some sort of "We'd Rather Be Neutral" pack which gives focus trees to the Dutch, Belgians, etc. Both Spains definitely need something. In terms of free revamps along the lines of Japan and Germany in this update, I feel like France and Italy (especially Italy) really need some expansion.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm fairly new to HOI, but I'm really enjoying the patch/dlc so far. I've been toying with Communist China and while I haven't quite grasped it all the political and infiltration stuff is fun.

I had a wild game last night. Japan went off the rails and Democracy won out. The Germans were grabbing territory left and right. I was slowly working on figuring out how in the hell the new mechanics worked. I was in the process of making friends with the Soviets when I suddenly noticed Germany was absolutely steamrolling them. I was getting popups every few days about another major territory/capital Germany had taken from the Soviets. I had no idea how in the hell they were falling so fast, then I took a look and saw this.

I don't know what in the gently caress went wrong for the Soviets to only have 4 divisons.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Mega-encirclement, perhaps?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Everybody seems to be playing the new DLC, but I thought the new frontlines where broken to such an extent as to prevent proper gameplay. How are people coping?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

StarMinstrel posted:

Everybody seems to be playing the new DLC, but I thought the new frontlines where broken to such an extent as to prevent proper gameplay. How are people coping?

I've not had a problem with them at all. What were you experiencing?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

I'm kinda curious what the next expansion is gonna be. It feels like most major players now have pretty interesting trees with plenty of alternate history options and all. Maybe an Allies focused one to get some more wide options for North America/Brits/Russia? I'd kinda love a 'minor powers' focused one that gives guys like fuckin Turkey and Mexico and all neat options, they were not unimportant but obviously not the main focuses of the time and all.

Balance production to sane levels and revamp naval and air combat

Maybe have units consume fuel

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

StarMinstrel posted:

You don't have to use them. Just select the general rather than the field marshall and the old system is still right there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pictured: brave Manchukuoan troops moving to liberate Beijing from the Nationalists, while their Japanese allies sit on their loving asses and do nothing.

Like, if even those two Japanese infantry divisions in the province just north of the city were to join the attack, we'd win it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I don't think I can tolerate 24 division limits. I can do it, but its just too tedious in an otherwise mindless game I play to comp-stomp AI in historical settings. rip my achievements.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

just have your troops led by a faceless grey portrait if you cant get over it :shrug:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've only encountered the vanishing frontline bug with one group of troops so far. It was irritating because I had to personally walk their asses from one end of Africa to the other in order to dislodge the Italians but haven't encountered it since and have no idea what causes it. God, can't believe I used to play HOI3 like that...

Keep encountering Eastern European and South American countries that love joining Japan's Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere though. Can't say I blame Bulgaria in the end - when your options are Hitler, Stalin or Hirohito you may as well pick the stupid option because good luck figuring out the lesser of those 3 evils.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Pretty basic defense question I'm having trouble getting a clear answer on.

I'm France and playing a defensive turtle game for fun. The Reich/Italy are now all on my border, and I've extended the Maginot line from the British Channel to the Mediterranean. I have multiple armies across this border waiting for the fight to come.

I'm not interested in battle planning for an offensive line right now, so I've just set everything up as front lines and watched my divisions scoot over to the border. Is this all I need to do for a defensive front? I'm not sure I need to set a fallback line or not, since my big long line of land forts along the border IS the line.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
When your allies come to take up precious supply capacity "help" you they may inadvertently push past the forts and if you are using a front line your troops will adjust to fill in the gap, abandoning the forts.

It may be best to use a fallback line (drawn over the forts) at first to ensure your units don't move. They won't get a planning bonus for later offensives but they will still entrench themselves.

You can then switch to frontlines later when you are ready to push back.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Well, goal one accomplished for the DLC. I kicked Japan out of China and ended the war. Communist China then declared war on me because??? and got crushed by the might of kinda united China. I’ll take that as a victory, especially by late 1940.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Psychotic Weasel posted:

When your allies come to take up precious supply capacity "help" you they may inadvertently push past the forts and if you are using a front line your troops will adjust to fill in the gap, abandoning the forts.

It may be best to use a fallback line (drawn over the forts) at first to ensure your units don't move. They won't get a planning bonus for later offensives but they will still entrench themselves.

You can then switch to frontlines later when you are ready to push back.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I didn't think to consider with the Allies coming to fight in my land once it started. When I fire up the game next I'll be sure to draw the fall back lines and reassign the divisions to those, since that's exactly what I want them to do.

I've rather enjoyed this new game as France, after my aborted UK game. It has been super fun to race against time as I fought to stay democratic, stabilize the government, and build up a defensive setup. I know it's about to pop off for me and I don't think I can match the German troops, but I'll give them hell along this line!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Communist China then declared war on me because???

Well were you exploiting the proletariat and the peasantry or weren't you?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Someone wanna give me a tldr on how to play Romania?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You don't have to use them. Just select the general rather than the field marshall and the old system is still right there.

Ok, but the new front lines are broken and unusable yes? I'm basically waiting to hear they're fixed before buying the DLC/playing again.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

How are people designing their special forces divisions now? Is there anyway to see what your special forces cap is?

Also jeez the way war support works it takes a lot longer to get recruitment going as the UK now. By the time you have the manpower laws to build anything the war's basically already started.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Well were you exploiting the proletariat and the peasantry or weren't you?

Barely. I ran factory reforms, built infrastructure, reformed corrupt government and commercial institutions and had a relatively modern air force backing a radically reborn infantry army. Hell, I even kept inflation down. These commies are nuts!

E: I also steered the military away from human wave tactics and towards carefully planned and executed campaigns, undoubtedly saving millions of proletariat lives.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 12, 2018

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Drone posted:

I assume (or hope) that the next one is a smaller expansion aimed solely at focus trees for Nat/Rep Spain (plus maybe Portugal). Beyond that, South America is in some serious need of attention, both in fleshing out the nations and in making the resources down there actually not batshit stupid.

A Scandinavia DLC is probably also inevitable and I'm honestly surprised Paradox hasn't put out a Swedish focus tree yet as freeDLC.

But yeah, this expansion is real good. So far I've done:

-Democratic Germany with ahistorical AI (fun and challenging as hell as I fought both the Comintern and a French-Italian fascist alliance simultaneously)
-Gran Colombia for the achievement (fun and definitely different, but warfare down south is a real slog)
-Manchukuo game that I just started up this morning

Swedish collaberatioon with the nazis is a faux pas in sweden so I doubt they'd touch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

siggy2021 posted:

I don't know what in the gently caress went wrong for the Soviets to only have 4 divisons.

I'm fairly certain that if a division losses all its organization and there's no available manpower left to reinforce the division gets destroyed instead of retreating. Same thing happened to them in my Communist China game.

Now that Germany actually waits to start a war once they've finished their current one the Soviets are getting consistently destroyed in my games.