Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Imp rear end is good, but it's future isn't. The last actual release for both it and Runewars was November and they haven't announced anything new for either of them. It seems up in the air if they just paused both to focus capitol on their Star Wars skirmish game or letting it replace them entirely.

Runewars (miniatures) has four expansions at the printer and three more in development previewed, and I'd be surprised if they weren't at least far enough along with another couple that they get released regardless. They do seem to have thrown it under the bus a bit to go full steam ahead on Legion, but things should level out later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemon-Lime posted:

Near the top of this very page:

Oops, thanks.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hey open_sketchbook, is there any chance we could see a rules preview for Flying Circus? Even just a glimpse at the moves would be neat.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
I'm gonna show off the playbook guide soon, I just want to make sure it's in absolutely perfect condition before I do.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
The stretchgoals for Flying Circus (do the Ground Crew backers get those?) sound amazing, the next ones to unlock are Magical Girl Flying Aces, Zeppelin Bootleggers, and space combat + quasi-steampunk WWI in SPACE.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BinaryDoubts posted:

The stretchgoals for Flying Circus (do the Ground Crew backers get those?) sound amazing, the next ones to unlock are Magical Girl Flying Aces, Zeppelin Bootleggers, and space combat + quasi-steampunk WWI in SPACE.

C'mon now, that's Blimpleggers.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

theironjef posted:

So excited the dream is becoming reality

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Bez launched Kitty Cataclysm recently - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bybez/kitty-cataclysm-chaos-cardplay-dickery-and-cat-pun

Bez is an awesome person who deserves support, previous releases In a Bind and Wibbel have proved popular locally so I have high hopes for this one. At least it can't be as bad as Exploding Kittens!

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 9, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

No lie, I squee'd when I saw that in the update.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1921968316/swordcrafters-craft-2d-game-pieces-into-a-3d-sword

This looks super neat, and I'm surprised I haven't heard of at all. 10 days left.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Bieeanshee posted:

No lie, I squee'd when I saw that in the update.

Yeah, we're giving Open_Sketchbook full access. We've got so much built in that world, but ultimately we're just critics and podcasters, the setting deserves to be written by a game designer.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

theironjef posted:

If I can be honest I don't listen to System Mastery and so missed the reference. And also if it was mentioned in the update. (I'm dumb is what I'm saying).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

BinaryDoubts posted:

If I can be honest I don't listen to System Mastery and so missed the reference. And also if it was mentioned in the update. (I'm dumb is what I'm saying).

Hah, no worries. It doesn't show up on the show much, just a crazy setting we made up when someone asked us a long time ago to recommend a setting that "wasn't full of dumb blimps and airships."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Knight Models have cancelled the planned Kickstarter for the Harry Potter Miniatures Game and announced that it will not be sold at retail. The only way to get it is to pre-order directly from them within the next month.

In other words, it's a loving terrible game and they know it but they've got to recoup the money they spent on licensing the sculpts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jedit posted:

In other words, it's a loving terrible game and they know it but they've got to recoup the money they spent on licensing the sculpts.

What does this have to do with canceling a Kickstarter? If anything this seems like what most TG Kickstarters do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jedit posted:

Knight Models have cancelled the planned Kickstarter for the Harry Potter Miniatures Game and announced that it will not be sold at retail. The only way to get it is to pre-order directly from them within the next month.

Or alternatively, there's been yet another turf war inside the Harry Potter rights management mess, and Knight are trying to off load as much of the stock as they can because they've already been told their license has been cancelled, and it ends at a certain date.

I have worked for a company that had this done to them over a Harry Potter video game before.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the video game

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I got the impression that they were still selling the Harry Potter miniature game after the pre-order period since a lot of stuff is listed as "pre-order exclusive". But I could be wrong, they haven't exactly communicated things well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the video game

An online kids point and click game that was cancelled at about 90% complete, and never released. I had nothing to do with the game at all, but I'm pretty sure the loss of the contract was the final straw for that company, and they shut up shop less than a year later.

Rowling wasn't really interested in any of the rights stuff and let others handle it, which is why it's been mismanaged by friends and family looking to make themselves rich off her back since convincing her to remove it from a normal rights management firm. Or so was relayed to me, anyway.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 12, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GrandpaPants posted:

What does this have to do with canceling a Kickstarter? If anything this seems like what most TG Kickstarters do.

Their argument is that most Harry Potter fans don’t know what Kickstarter is. :psyduck:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Most Harry Potter fans don't know Knight Models or mini battle games to be fair.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

NTRabbit posted:

An online kids point and click game that was cancelled at about 90% complete, and never released. I had nothing to do with the game at all, but I'm pretty sure the loss of the contract was the final straw for that company, and they shut up shop less than a year later.

Rowling wasn't really interested in any of the rights stuff and let others handle it, which is why it's been mismanaged by friends and family looking to make themselves rich off her back since convincing her to remove it from a normal rights management firm. Or so was relayed to me, anyway.

I suppose that'd explain why it seems like every Harry Potter thing has been a quagmire of lovely design, marketing, content and planning.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

The_Doctor posted:

Their argument is that most Harry Potter fans don’t know what Kickstarter is. :psyduck:

Presumably if they're not going to retail they also are of the opinion that Harry Potter fans don't know what shops are.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Dinosaur Island is back on KS. New expac and a new 2 player vs mode as well. I'm backing this time, but I'm not sure if I'm backing the expac (the 2 player thing seems unnecessary I think).

Dinosaur Island: Back from Extinction, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandasaurus/dinosaur-island-back-from-extinction

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doji Sekushi posted:

Dinosaur Island is back on KS. New expac and a new 2 player vs mode as well. I'm backing this time, but I'm not sure if I'm backing the expac (the 2 player thing seems unnecessary I think).

Dinosaur Island: Back from Extinction, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandasaurus/dinosaur-island-back-from-extinction

Uggggh, Dinosaur Island, my nemesis.

I loved the look of the game the first time around, that whole early 90s neon design presses all the right buttons for me. I went back and forth on backing it, and ultimately didn’t because the game itself looks overly complicated and dry as dust, and was just slightly too expensive for that. Every time I’d look at the huge array of tiny game boards, I’d glaze over, and this looks no different, adding more tiny boards of stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

Or alternatively, there's been yet another turf war inside the Harry Potter rights management mess, and Knight are trying to off load as much of the stock as they can because they've already been told their license has been cancelled, and it ends at a certain date.

I have worked for a company that had this done to them over a Harry Potter video game before.

Rights snarls seem to muck up a lot of things for Knight Models like with their Marvel line. Marvel is pretty onerous to work with, or so my understanding goes.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Doji Sekushi posted:

I have the base game and am definitely getting the expansion and adding $30 for all of the deluxe Kickstarter stuff I missed because I didn’t Kickstart the first time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

This is very likely the thing that happened, and they have until the ends of the month to sell the product that's already made.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
So Palladium can finally be destroyed if they just happen to get the license for a Harry Potter tm r c RPG?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Every time there's a kickstarter for Aeon's End I start out feeling tempted to buy everything, and end up buying nothing. This new legacy version sounds cool, but I basically feel like if I never bothered to find out if I like the base game (which I would like to try some time), it's probably safe to assume I won't have too many regrets about not going all in now. The exclusives don't seem like can't miss stuff either, fortunately, so if I ever decide to get into the game later I don't think I'll be filled with regret or anything.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Knight Models seems like an alright but overly ambitious company that constantly over reaches in terms of IP and production.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The_Doctor posted:

I loved the look of the game the first time around, that whole early 90s neon design presses all the right buttons for me. I went back and forth on backing it, and ultimately didn’t because the game itself looks overly complicated and dry as dust, and was just slightly too expensive for that. Every time I’d look at the huge array of tiny game boards, I’d glaze over, and this looks no different, adding more tiny boards of stuff.

This is my exact take, yeah. The theme is amazing, but I know I would hate the gameplay. This should make a fiasco playset or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

This is my exact take, yeah. The theme is amazing, but I know I would hate the gameplay. This should make a fiasco playset or something.

I honestly think I’d prefer a dinosaur reskin of Bärenpark or something a little more fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The_Doctor posted:

Every review (that wasn’t just hype) I’ve read of it said the decisions are too simple. I love Kwanchai’s art too but the designer made dead of winter.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Knight Models seems like an alright but overly ambitious company that constantly over reaches in terms of IP and production.

Honestly I'm starting to think it's a business plan for them. You can probably shave some cost on a licensing deal by only signing to a short duration. Once you've got some stuff out determine whether it's worth negotiating for a longer contract. Works for the company but screws over anyone that invests in their games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Honestly I'm starting to think it's a business plan for them. You can probably shave some cost on a licensing deal by only signing to a short duration. Once you've got some stuff out determine whether it's worth negotiating for a longer contract. Works for the company but screws over anyone that invests in their games.

That's not how it works at all.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Rights snarls seem to muck up a lot of things for Knight Models like with their Marvel line. Marvel is pretty onerous to work with, or so my understanding goes.

I heard some pretty wild stories about getting poo poo okayed for the defunct Marvel Heroes ARPG. Not just things like character models and costumes, but stuff like 'the player must be able to see Ghost Rider's face when he uses his Penance Stare' when the character could be facing away from the camera at any given time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm hearing comments on BGG that Knight have lovely QC and customer service. Anecdotal example was miniatures shipped without limbs and three month turnaround on replacement. Also they apparently just switched from metal to resin.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jedit posted:

I'm hearing comments on BGG that Knight have lovely QC and customer service. Anecdotal example was miniatures shipped without limbs and three month turnaround on replacement.

Faster than Wizkids, who also hosed up the replacement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Sinteres posted:

Every time there's a kickstarter for Aeon's End I start out feeling tempted to buy everything, and end up buying nothing. This new legacy version sounds cool, but I basically feel like if I never bothered to find out if I like the base game (which I would like to try some time), it's probably safe to assume I won't have too many regrets about not going all in now. The exclusives don't seem like can't miss stuff either, fortunately, so if I ever decide to get into the game later I don't think I'll be filled with regret or anything.

I agree. I finally got to try the base game on steam tabletop and my friends liked it but not enough for any of us to shell out now for Legacy or the full original. We're going wait for Legacy to show up at the LGS. I probably would have been sold if I liked the art on the 4(8) new mages but they aren't as good as the originals. I guess because they are keeping them generic for you to put your own name and stamp on.