Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man gently caress the island, new season of feast :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Thundarr posted:

It's such a cool fight that even one of WoW's devs wrote on essay on just how cool of a fight it is.

Got a link for this? It sounds interesting.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Number of tokens required for upgraded seem unreasonably large.
I'll wait and see what happens when you can open up other Aetherytes in the area. If it's still same old ... Oh well.
I had some good time goofing off with friends, at least.
Word of warning, some undeads that show up at night aggro low HP, so be careful fighting around them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NachtSieger posted:

Got a link for this? It sounds interesting.

http://pedrothedagger.blogspot.com/2016/03/raid-boss-dissection-ffxiv-thordan.html?m=1

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Boy do I feel stupid for being optimistic about Eureka. This is an unmitigated disaster.

But at least dyes change the glow color on the relic. That's totally worth it guys right???

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think I'm gonna need to see what the whole thing is like when I'm at elemental level 20 and what the drops are before I decide for myself how I feel about Eureka. Either way, it'll all be worth it to me personally if I can get the tyrannosaur.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
What I like about FFXIV is that most of the grindy things can be done alongside other things at the same time so it's less monotonous, and anyone who goes out of their way to do the grindy things on their own does it out of personal preference. Eureka just throws all of that out the window and there is no option other than "grind", and instead of people waxing poetic about "the good old days of FFXI", this just makes me question why anyone liked FFXI. It feels like the system FFXI used is simply dated and inferior.

I'm still going to end up doing Eureka's storyline because I like story and I want that T-Rex mount and maybe the axe relic, but this type of grind just isn't my cup of tea. And this is coming from someone who did the ARR and HW relics.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Datamining found an All Classes version of Gyuki Gatherer/Ranged set. Finally you can look like a cowboy without having to hold a pick/gun.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
What's the level cap for Eureka? How many level thresholds do you have to go through to see the whole story?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do I have to sit at the entrance of the zone for at least a hour before I get a group to do Eureka?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Funny enough FFXI is no fun if you take out the specific things it had that made it unique, like the expansive world with cool setpieces that you could sneak around even at low level and explore, and classes that were messy and hard to strictly categorize into a single role but unique.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Man I've tried to come up with a "these are the problems with Eureka" post like four times now, speaking as a FFXI expat who was very familiar with the FFXI system that they were obviously trying to emulate, and I can't. It just gets jumbled up in a frustrated red haze of anger.

I legit can't believe they hosed this up to such a degree. There is an entire, well-documented plan for introducing a self-contained area that players are free to explore and grind through to obtain artifact gear and new relic weapons, it's called Abyssea, the fuckers in the XI dev team were able to pull it off nine times and reversed course after a pretty disastrous expansion in the process. It was pretty much the best attempt in XI to respect the players time and provide good returns for effort invested, and it was the closest XI ever got to the more modern MMO sensibilities that FFXIV does so well.

And instead they just lazily added grinding mobs and an unreasonable storefront for your artifiact gear and weapons. Man, gently caress off. Just because unreasonable hell grinds are what people remember from FFXI doesn't mean we liked it, assholes! You remember trauma longer then pleasant times.

Gonna be legit honest here: I have been giving the dev team the benefit of the doubt since early Heavensward but at this point I would almost prefer the redirect their focus back to the smaller instanced content. It seems every time they take a step away from 4-man and 24-man linearity, or 8-man raids in simple geometric arenas, they immediately faceplant. PoD was basically the only exception to this in like three years.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The biggest sin of Eureka is that it introduces a character whose sole trait is "I'm mean to Krile." He better be an NM at some point in this hell grind, because gently caress right the gently caress off with that.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I like that everyone on the OF is saying "its just hitting mobs for rare drops" after months of "make something like Dynamis from FFXI" and that's exactly what Dynamis was

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nodosaur posted:

I think I'm gonna need to see what the whole thing is like when I'm at elemental level 20 and what the drops are before I decide for myself how I feel about Eureka. Either way, it'll all be worth it to me personally if I can get the tyrannosaur.

i'm nowhere near this content yet and i don't really have anything invested in this but fwiw i saw a lot of posts on reddit today about people getting the T-Rex pretty easily (so droprate is probably not abysmally low) and supposedly crystal droprates go up the closer you are to the elemental cap

t-rex can drop from any lockbox, even at level 1

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Meiteron posted:

Man I've tried to come up with a "these are the problems with Eureka" post like four times now, speaking as a FFXI expat who was very familiar with the FFXI system that they were obviously trying to emulate, and I can't. It just gets jumbled up in a frustrated red haze of anger.

I legit can't believe they hosed this up to such a degree. There is an entire, well-documented plan for introducing a self-contained area that players are free to explore and grind through to obtain artifact gear and new relic weapons, it's called Abyssea, the fuckers in the XI dev team were able to pull it off nine times and reversed course after a pretty disastrous expansion in the process. It was pretty much the best attempt in XI to respect the players time and provide good returns for effort invested, and it was the closest XI ever got to the more modern MMO sensibilities that FFXIV does so well.

And instead they just lazily added grinding mobs and an unreasonable storefront for your artifiact gear and weapons. Man, gently caress off. Just because unreasonable hell grinds are what people remember from FFXI doesn't mean we liked it, assholes! You remember trauma longer then pleasant times.

Gonna be legit honest here: I have been giving the dev team the benefit of the doubt since early Heavensward but at this point I would almost prefer the redirect their focus back to the smaller instanced content. It seems every time they take a step away from 4-man and 24-man linearity, or 8-man raids in simple geometric arenas, they immediately faceplant. PoD was basically the only exception to this in like three years.

If you go by what the massive topics of ex-FFXI players say, that is exactly what they liked about it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Verranicus posted:

If you go by what the massive topics of ex-FFXI players say, that is exactly what they liked about it.

tbh as long as i played ffxi i was never put off by the grinding, it was always the "wait 2 hours for a party because you're playing the wrong dps class" that bothered me

i can grind for hours, that's relaxing, standing around for hours is nervewracking and it makes getting into a party an anxiety ridden mess because if you gently caress up and get kicked you're waiting another two hours

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well, I finally got to do a little bit of Eureka rather than just seeing complaints, and... yeah jesus gently caress this is horrible. Nobuaki Komoto needs to be moved to janitorial work or something where he can't gently caress the game up. And it's not even the whole big concept, there's just lots of little baffling decisions. Just off the top of my head from a half hour of messing around...

1) It's utterly pointless to solo. I guess you can grind enough XP to eventually see the story, but you're never going to get any meaningful rewards without long chains or killing NMs.
2) Due to this it's going to be an absolute failure as an anima weapon-style casual grind, since if you have to go through all this trouble you may as well just get the current-relevant extreme primal weapon or whatever instead. It's going to make for a huge dropoff in population during the late patch times.
3) Why is there no automatic group matching? Or maybe there is, but the fact it isn't readily obvious makes it worthless, and I saw nothing but people yelling for groups like it's 200-loving-2 or something, what the hell.
4) Why is there even a time limit? Why is it a proper instance at all? You can't even use it to pass time while waiting for DPS queues or something since it is its own duty.

I mean the basic idea could have worked, but they did literally nothing to make it work and lots of things that actually somehow make it worse than just grinding FATEs or something.

a medical mystery posted:

Funny enough FFXI is no fun if you take out the specific things it had that made it unique
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but FFXI was no fun even with its setpieces and weird classes and people with actual nostalgia for its gameplay are broke-brained folks lost in stockholm syndrome. :ssh:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Verranicus posted:

Yeah but actually liking anything gameplay related about FFXI confirms that you're clinically insane and or a sociopath so your opinions should not be considered.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Verranicus posted:

I like that everyone on the OF is saying "its just hitting mobs for rare drops" after months of "make something like Dynamis from FFXI" and that's exactly what Dynamis was

Dynamis was actually fairly linear progression through a quasi-instanced area, and while there was a lot of hitting mobs for rare drops it was neither random nor endless in it's fighting. There were specific groups of mobs that had to be pulled in specific orders that necessitated a bit of strategy and positioning oh god someone pulled the death house in dynamis-windy PANIC and it always culminated with a boss fight.

Pretty much every 24 man raid in XIV is Dynamis, with 90% of the excess fat removed and better production quality.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mirthless posted:

tbh as long as i played ffxi i was never put off by the grinding, it was always the "wait 2 hours for a party because you're playing the wrong dps class" that bothered me

i can grind for hours, that's relaxing, standing around for hours is nervewracking and it makes getting into a party an anxiety ridden mess because if you gently caress up and get kicked you're waiting another two hours

I read stuff like this about FFXI a lot

And especially today, my main thought is “how in the gently caress did you people put up with this nonsense so long”

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm sad that it's just for relics and seems so solo unfriendly, but at least that means I have no reason to touch it so I can forget Eureka exists. Glad I didn't read about it much up til now so I didn't get hyped.

EDIT: Also if you wanted to avoid waiting for groups in XI, shoulda played BRD. Even angry JP Onry groups would invite you. Felt like being a celebrity.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SonicRulez posted:

The biggest sin of Eureka is that it introduces a character whose sole trait is "I'm mean to Krile." He better be an NM at some point in this hell grind, because gently caress right the gently caress off with that.

So Krile gets plot armor then though.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

MechaX posted:

And especially today, my main thought is “how in the gently caress did you people put up with this nonsense so long”

because it was really, really, really different from Everquest and WoW

remember that a whole lot of MMOs came out in the 2000s and nearly every single one of them was a WoW clone, which, itself, was an Everquest clone (which was, debatably, a clone of DikuMUD) - if you didn't like that kind of game but still liked MMOs, FFXI is probably where you ended up, for better or worse

I never really got into it much but I know a lot of people who thought the grind and toxic community were worth putting up with for more interesting mechanics/etc

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I'm convinced that everyone who loves FFXI-style mechanics never actually played the game when it was "hard" and came in after they had started changing things. I played for 7+ years at it's height (Launch and CoP et. al.)and god loving drat do I never ever want to see any of that poo poo ever again. Some of my best video game memories are from that dumb loving game but I'd rather slam my genitals in a car door than play it straight up again.

That said, if I start seeing fights where you have to stack RDMs to use one specific ability, quests where you have to conga line up a mountain on a tiny switchbacky path that you could easily fall off of and GOD drat JOHN IF YOU FALL OFF AGAIN WE ARE LEAVING YOU BEHIND, and areas that are multi-level teleporter mazes from hell filled with boss-level mobs, I'm totally done.

Stop listening to that one rear end in a top hat Yoshida!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

its 2018 man, dont do this poo poo

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

LegionAreI posted:

I'm convinced that everyone who loves FFXI-style mechanics never actually played the game when it was "hard" and came in after they had started changing things. I played for 7+ years at it's height (Launch and CoP et. al.)and god loving drat do I never ever want to see any of that poo poo ever again. Some of my best video game memories are from that dumb loving game but I'd rather slam my genitals in a car door than play it straight up again.

That said, if I start seeing fights where you have to stack RDMs to use one specific ability, quests where you have to conga line up a mountain on a tiny switchbacky path that you could easily fall off of and GOD drat JOHN IF YOU FALL OFF AGAIN WE ARE LEAVING YOU BEHIND, and areas that are multi-level teleporter mazes from hell filled with boss-level mobs, I'm totally done.

Stop listening to that one rear end in a top hat Yoshida!

My FFXI experience in a nutshell: I got to level 18 and got a new set of armor. I was excited as a tank to go kill enemies on a beach more effectively so I ran to whatever that beach crab area was. I found a party and was running to them when I accidentally aggroed a crab. The crab killed me before I made it to the party. Because I was freshly leveled, I lost experience and deleveled. All my armor fell off and I was naked. The rest of the party sat around my naked corpse waiting for someone to come rez me. We had a really nice conversation while we waited and I ended up being friends with them for years.

It was terrible and I never want to go back to that style of MMO again.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

LegionAreI posted:

It is absolutely this. The people who come out to defend FF11 always mention poo poo that wasn't in the game until Aht urghan at the earliest.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Countblanc posted:

its 2018 man, dont do this poo poo
While this doesn't make it completely non-problematic or whatever, it's a pretty specific reference to this ridiculous old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-fJCr2ZGdw

I just feel like it makes it look a lot worse if you assume it's a completely random jab.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i mean i know the history, i played ffxi for years

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MechaX posted:

our only other option at the time was everquest. Where you could die and lose all your gear and their idea of a raid fight was standing in a corner hitting one button over and over and their graphics looked like rear end.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

MechaX posted:

It was my first MMO, so I didn't know what the gently caress. Also I only played for the first two months the game was live. Maaaybe three? And most of what I remember was reading a lot of books while LFG.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so the relic armor caps at 350, apparently, which means it's functionally worthless beyond having five materia slots, and even if you put in materia vis and vs everywhere you can it's still going to be worse than 360 gear, no?

also, i got three 30x chains before my group tried to pull six mobs at once (i was solo tanking) so i just ran away, but during that entire time i didn't get one lockbox. what are the 10x and 20x chain bonuses? increased drop rates?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what are the 10x and 20x chain bonuses? increased drop rates?
Yes, and on the 10th, 20th, and 30th you get some bonus xp as well.

As far as I know lockboxes only come from Notorious Monsters, but it's possible things change as you get to higher levels.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechaX posted:

I didn't play FFXI, but I played both Everquest pre-Luclin and DAoC pre-ToA. A lot of it for me boiled down to being a kid with near-infinite patience and the inability to fathom better designed systems. If all you ate for your entire life was potatoes up until the age of 20, you wouldn't see the problem in just eating potatoes, but if you started to find out about food other than potatoes, you'd suddenly realize what a ghastly, miserable existence eating nothing but potatoes is. That's the difference between playing Everquest as a dumb teen versus playing WotLK and everything past it as a grown man.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

I didn't play FFXI, but I played both Everquest pre-Luclin and DAoC pre-ToA. A lot of it for me boiled down to being a kid with near-infinite patience and the inability to fathom better designed systems. If all you ate for your entire life was potatoes up until the age of 20, you wouldn't see the problem in just eating potatoes, but if you started to find out about food other than potatoes, you'd suddenly realize what a ghastly, miserable existence eating nothing but potatoes is. That's the difference between playing Everquest as a dumb teen versus playing WotLK and everything past it as a grown man.

hosed up example since potatoes are the greatest food on this planet.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Instead view the example as only eating microwaved potatoes without any seasoning

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The best part is seeing people on the OF and reddit and wherever trying to defend this by saying "stop saying this is like FFXI, it's nothing like the FFXI content we wanted!" without actually explaining what this would entail. :allears:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

hosed up example since potatoes are the greatest food on this planet.

sweet potatoes are better and healthier. Get on my level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so the relic armor caps at 350, apparently, which means it's functionally worthless beyond having five materia slots, and even if you put in materia vis and vs everywhere you can it's still going to be worse than 360 gear, no?

Can't you only get 360 gear by doing savage or upgrading ryumaku gear?