Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mister Olympus posted:

Unsynced? 2 people for the whole thing, but much of it solo.

So if I was going in at level 50 I should only need to wrangle a couple level 70 people to help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Verranicus posted:

How many people would I need to clear Coil nowadays? I'm trying to do content in order of release for reasons, and I'm fast approaching the point where I'd access Coil 1-4.

You need 4 people for the final phase of T9, and probably around that many to deal with T10.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

tank solo'd him from like 75% hp, dark knight supremacy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kitfox88 posted:

tank solo'd him from like 75% hp, dark knight supremacy.
http://thelairofthesideburns.tumblr.com/post/163209500754/darkknightmp4

This is why I want to level DRK, although of course everything's conspiring against me doing it. Truly, a cursed class.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 16, 2018

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Saigyouji posted:

You need 4 people for the final phase of T9, and probably around that many to deal with T10.

Stormblood characters can survive the ice hits in T9 in current gear. It's been duo'd, apparently.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

Stormblood characters can survive the ice hits in T9 in current gear. It's been duo'd, apparently.

I've done it with 3. I've gotten to ice/fire phase with 2, but we didn't have enough health to survive the ice hits so we got a 3rd to kill it before we all died.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

I play a wildwood elezen. :v:

Likewise!

Failboattootoot posted:

Been doing the nm hunt thing in Eureka, and this poo poo still sucks but it's bearable. There's my high praise for Eureka. It's bad but im stupid enough to do it anyway.

Same. I got lucky today and managed to get the mount, music, barding, and minions, though I had to buy the Mithra off of the Market Board for 400,000 gil.

Good thing I made 900,000 selling all of the materia I kept getting. :v:

Currently, my E!Level is 13, and I managed to get the confluence while traveling with a NM party.

Gearhead posted:

As for the other guy, we have never fought someone with the Echo who was able to die when they were killed. Zenos being UNABLE TO DIE may make him even more interesting.

Counterargument:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 16, 2018

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Reiterpallasch posted:

The video you linked shows the exact opposite, the red mage takes a fatal 64k damage hit from the ice at the same second Nael dies. The second ice hit isn't just "BIG HIT", it's like double your max HP in damage. Nael is purely burst her down before you die if you don't have enough people to do the ice/fire mechanics.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 16, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Square Enix has heard your complaints, and there's changes coming to Eureka sooner than you think. The end of March, even!

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/361599-What-s-your-first-impression-of-Eureka?p=4616728#post4616728

much like eureka, this post is a disappointment

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Enix'd again!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
3.X continues to have consistency issues like 3.0's story, I'm learning. The first little arc of 3.X was great, everything felt like very natural consequences of what happened in 3.0, and I took a liking to new character Krile immediately.

...But now for your regularly scheduled screeching halt to run all over the world to watch cutscenes of interpersonal drama about the Scions, a group I've always struggled to care about. I wasn't thrilled about Y'shtola and Tancred coming back, but at least it made some internally consistent sense and they seemed to fit into the overall story well enough. But the game seems to think I care about the Scions far more than I actually do. And again, this nonsense distracts from the plots I'm actually invested in and am interested to follow.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The Scions count Tataru among their members, and that means they're important to me. :colbert:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

3.X continues to have consistency issues like 3.0's story, I'm learning. The first little arc of 3.X was great, everything felt like very natural consequences of what happened in 3.0, and I took a liking to new character Krile immediately.

...But now for your regularly scheduled screeching halt to run all over the world to watch cutscenes of interpersonal drama about the Scions, a group I've always struggled to care about. I wasn't thrilled about Y'shtola and Tancred coming back, but at least it made some internally consistent sense and they seemed to fit into the overall story well enough. But the game seems to think I care about the Scions far more than I actually do. And again, this nonsense distracts from the plots I'm actually invested in and am interested to follow.

It worked for people who do like the scions. The game is gonna assume you care a little bit for this band of heroes for some strange, peculiar, inscrutable reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It worked for people who do like the scions. The game is gonna assume you care a little bit for this band of heroes for some strange, peculiar, inscrutable reason.

Then it could try giving most of them a personality, or having them do anything.

They haven't endeared themselves to me, they've just felt useless for the most part. That the two you interact with the most are Minfilia and Alphinaud does not help - easily the two characters in ARR I despised most.

I like Krile, Yugiri, and to a lesser extent Y'shtola. I couldn't care less what happens to the rest of them.

And again, this nonsense distracts from a plot I actually do find interesting and full of characters I care about.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Then it could try giving most of them a personality, or having them do anything.

They haven't endeared themselves to me, they've just felt useless for the most part. That the two you interact with the most are Minfilia and Alphinaud does not help - easily the two characters in ARR I despised most.

I like Krile, Yugiri, and to a lesser extent Y'shtola. I couldn't care less what happens to the rest of them.

And again, this nonsense distracts from a plot I actually do find interesting and full of characters I care about.

What would endear them to you? I'm not going to act like the scions are the go to example for character development, but from all of your posts since you started playing it seems any character has a certain bar to pass for you. Like your immediate dislike of Haurechfaunt and Aymeric because they sounded like they were undressing you character or something like that. Which was odd then and now, but also your obstinate denial to give Alphinaud a chance when he does have a characfter arc and development.

I'm just really curious what your base of judgement is for a fictional character?

E: Minfilia really is awful though

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 16, 2018

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Hoary Boulder and crew are the best scions because they have personalities and other things going on, but the only way to find out about them is talking to the people standing around the hideout between quests.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AngusPodgorny posted:

Hoary Boulder and crew are the best scions because they have personalities and other things going on, but the only way to find out about them is talking to the people standing around the hideout between quests.

I don't like some of the main Scions but suggesting they don't have personalities is really weird

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What would endear them to you? I'm not going to act like the scions are the go to example for character development, but from all of your posts since you started playing it seems any character has a certain bar to pass for you. Like your immediate dislike of Haurechfaunt and Aymeric because they sounded like they were undressing you character or something like that. Which was odd then and now, but also your obstinate denial to give Alphinaud a chance when he does have a characfter arc and development.

I'm just really curious what your base of judgement is for a fictional character?

My base of judgment is: do I find them interesting, do I find them entertaining, or do I simply like them on personal whim. These are purely personal judgments and I don't have a spreadsheet. Haurchefant and Ayemric eventually grew on me - Ayemric much more so than Haurchefant, but I liked Harch okay... just not as much as the game clearly expected me to.

Alphinaud is certainly a better character now, but I loathed him so much from his earlier appearances that yes, I'm absolutely prejudiced against him and I don't particularly care that he's a better character now. My feelings about him throughout HW have generally been "Thank God he's irrelevant to this story, and gently caress you when the story detours to try to make me care about the brat."

Krile showed up, had a decent voice actress, and was immediately useful to the story. She didn't waste my time giving me pointless bullshit quests and she seems very competent in-story - Y'shtola is much the same case.

I don't care about the random yahoos standing around the Rising Stones because why would I? They contribute nothing I care about to the story, and they're not interesting or amusing. I don't like the story wasting my time with these guys when it could be focused on something interesting instead.

I think part of it is my dissatisfaction with how safe the story's been played with the Scions. Mostly, they stand around and talk at me. It's rare to see them do anything, and the story never seems to take risks with them. I like Moenbrynda a lot - she showed up, was competent, helped immediately, and had a palpable character arc that I think was handled well. I was sad to see her go, but I appreciated that they were actually doing something with her character. I could buy one or two of the Scions surviving ARR, but all of them? Y'shtola and Thancred have supposedly been crippled, but the story just mentioned that once and so far it's never come up again that Thancred has lost all magic or that Y'shtola is blind and consuming her own life force to see via magic.

The story in HW seemed much more willing to take risks and explore consequences for the HW crew. People died, lost their faith, and were forced to confront radical changes and revelations. They changed, and stayed changed. The Scions are far more static.

At the end of the day, it is of course simply down to that eminently arbitrary decision of "Do I like this character or not." Writing is tough, I know that. But the Scions seem to be a magnet for what I see as terrible characters and shallow writing.

I play games mainly for their story and characters, so that's what I pay the most attention to in games, and what I judge most harshly. I was convinced to try this game on the basis of its story and characters. So far it's been a mixed bag, elevated primarily by the a-plot in HW being really engaging to me and dominated by characters I find interesting.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Looking forward to SE introducing uni-Special armor with unique effects with a .1% drop chance from lootboxes from Eureka.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thancred actually does have a rapid character arc once he comes back and definitely has a personality. I can't say it's the best one but it is a personality, and more interesting than the poor man's Balthier that he was originally.

Krile and Y'shtola are a bit more blank slate but they're fun enough individually and also are incredibly good at dunking on Alph. Y'shtola gets some bonus points for bringing cranky grandma Matoya into the story.

Even Urianger gets some development in 3.x!

I'm curious to see what you think of the "new" arrival in 3.4 though.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

How many people would I need to clear Coil nowadays? I'm trying to do content in order of release for reasons, and I'm fast approaching the point where I'd access Coil 1-4.

I did Coil 1 -9 unscyned with a friend last week. 1-7 are easily duo'd. We needed a third for T8 to burn avatar before towers came up and to help with golumns in T9. Haven't tried Final Coil yet tho.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thundarr posted:

Thancred actually does have a rapid character arc once he comes back and definitely has a personality. I can't say it's the best one but it is a personality, and more interesting than the poor man's Balthier that he was originally.

Krile and Y'shtola are a bit more blank slate but they're fun enough individually and also are incredibly good at dunking on Alph. Y'shtola gets some bonus points for bringing cranky grandma Matoya into the story.

Even Urianger gets some development in 3.x!

I'm curious to see what you think of the "new" arrival in 3.4 though.

Ohhhhhh that's riiight. Yeah that's gonna be fun.

Thank you for the post Cyth, consider my curiosity sated lol

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I was kind of down on the scions when they're first introduced because the game presents it like 'here's all your new Best Friends' and since I don't know any of these people it felt a little forced. I think that very first scene when you meet everyone Minfilia asks you to think of them as family and it's just, like, o...k.

Anyway I'm going to hit 70 today. Are there any guides for what all to do? I'm assuming finish msq and class quest are priority but I don't even know what content there is at max level, period. Well, I guess I know that eureka is a thing but I think I'll hold off on that :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Thank you for the post Cyth, consider my curiosity sated lol

I get at the end of the day it's completely arbitrary, but for me it boils down to that I play games to have fun and I judge stuff mainly by that light.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tangents posted:

I was kind of down on the scions when they're first introduced because the game presents it like 'here's all your new Best Friends' and since I don't know any of these people it felt a little forced. I think that very first scene when you meet everyone Minfilia asks you to think of them as family and it's just, like, o...k.

Anyway I'm going to hit 70 today. Are there any guides for what all to do? I'm assuming finish msq and class quest are priority but I don't even know what content there is at max level, period. Well, I guess I know that eureka is a thing but I think I'll hold off on that :v:

First, do your level 70 job quest to get your capstone ability and some free gear that will likely be a modest upgrade over what you have now. Alternately a friend could craft much better equipment for you.

Then finish the 4.0 MSQ. Have fun storming the castle!

After that things open up a lot depending on what you want to do. The main things to look for will be continuing MSQ, unlocking the level 70 dungeons that will be your main source of tomestone, and unlocking the Omega raids. Eureka and the first level 70 24 man will also open up but you'll need a bit better than i290 gear to get in the door iirc.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Cythereal posted:

I get at the end of the day it's completely arbitrary, but for me it boils down to that I play games to have fun and I judge stuff mainly by that light.

I'm at a similar spot in the story and had some frustration with characters, too. Mainly right before you head to AzysLa or whatever it is, everyone is talking about how this is really crazy that the whole world's existence hinges upon the WoL success, and as you're sailing off a group of really capable warriors just waves as you go off to your doom instead of joining you. Like, what? It's so dumb they don't join you. These are people who have all helped you specifically in combat missions before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You’re going to fight primals. They can’t because they lack the echo and would get tempered. Any member of the heavensward approaches them and they’re hosed instantly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You’re going to fight primals. They can’t because they lack the echo and would get tempered. Any member of the heavensward approaches them and they’re hosed instantly.

Not that anyone that does have an echo has ever helped me fight a primal to date. :v:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Not that anyone that does have an echo has ever helped me fight a primal to date. :v:

Your buddies from the black book of echo equipped adventurers (dungeon finder), nameless as they are :shobon:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cythereal posted:

It might be later but the echo is not the same for every person who has it. The WoL's echo is the combat oriented one, Krile's is very sensitive to aether and other people's thoughts and doesn't work well for fighting. All of them get the primal protection, but that's about the only commonality.

I don't think we know what Minfilia's echo was all about because she did nothing with it, and she's definitely the worst character in the game, but other than the DF adventurers the only people you've met with the echo are Krile and Minfilia.

edit: oh and ysale

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 16, 2018

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Cythereal posted:

Eh. Ysayle did have a go at Ravana, but that didn't end very well for her. Might've been neat to incorporate her into the fight I guess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There's a character in SB with the Echo and there is one really notable case where he directly helps you deal with a primal.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cid, biggs, and wedge have the echo? I know they're required to fly the airship but they also are helping get stuff done when you land. It just seemed silly for these warriors to smile and wave as you fly off with a party that's half composed of engineer civilians.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ort posted:

Cid, biggs, and wedge have the echo? I know they're required to fly the airship but they also are helping get stuff done when you land. It just seemed silly for these warriors to smile and wave as you fly off with a party that's half composed of engineer civilians.

They have something more powerful....they appear in side content so they have PLOT IMMUNITY

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Counterargument:

There are all sorts of oddities involved there.Iceheart was the summoner and used herself as the medium for Shiva, the same as the Knights of the Round, but Shinryu was summoned through external means and dominated through external means. Iceheart immediately began to fall apart, just like the Knights, when she was truly beaten down by ARTILLERY. But Zenos returned to physical form, cut his throat and left a corpse that could be buried. I wonder if the situation is rather like our fight against his scientist buddy, where he found himself outside of his body and.. climbed back in..

Considering the follow up cutscenes.... It would be super strange for Ed to be walking around with a gaping hole in his host body's neck and may actually cause a lot of problems with him being able to operate. Zenos showed back up and people were talking about how he was extremely hosed up, and he is still apparently on the mend at this point going by how the medics are concerned for him.

I can't rule out the possibility that Ed is wearing Zenos' body. But Ed has had Garlean proportions since we first ran into him, concealed somewhat by the unique way that he holds his arms slightly up and back when in a neutral stance and the angles he's generally shown from not giving us good references.

Comedy option: When forced to confront the possibility that his philosophy of 'If you think I'm wrong, murder me and prove me RIGHT.' may have a failure state he hadn't considered.. Zenos is forced to reevaluate his priorities in life, and gets tangled up in a conspiracy involving an ancient evil serving a divine rear end in a top hat wearing Uncle Gaius like a suit.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Gearhead posted:

There are all sorts of oddities involved there.Iceheart was the summoner and used herself as the medium for Shiva, the same as the Knights of the Round, but Shinryu was summoned through external means and dominated through external means. Iceheart immediately began to fall apart, just like the Knights, when she was truly beaten down by ARTILLERY. But Zenos returned to physical form, cut his throat and left a corpse that could be buried. I wonder if the situation is rather like our fight against his scientist buddy, where he found himself outside of his body and.. climbed back in..

Considering the follow up cutscenes.... It would be super strange for Ed to be walking around with a gaping hole in his host body's neck and may actually cause a lot of problems with him being able to operate. Zenos showed back up and people were talking about how he was extremely hosed up, and he is still apparently on the mend at this point going by how the medics are concerned for him.

I can't rule out the possibility that Ed is wearing Zenos' body. But Ed has had Garlean proportions since we first ran into him, concealed somewhat by the unique way that he holds his arms slightly up and back when in a neutral stance and the angles he's generally shown from not giving us good references.

Comedy option: When forced to confront the possibility that his philosophy of 'If you think I'm wrong, murder me and prove me RIGHT.' may have a failure state he hadn't considered.. Zenos is forced to reevaluate his priorities in life, and gets tangled up in a conspiracy involving an ancient evil serving a divine rear end in a top hat wearing Uncle Gaius like a suit.

With regards to your third spoiler block there: I seriously can't understand how there's any other way to interpret it. At the end of the story Zenos apparently dies, then immediately after they're like "Oh man my son is dead." "Yeah that sucks. Anyway here check out my face as I dramatic reveal." "Oh wow that's messed up." Followed by the continuation after the plot saying "Oh man did you hear Zenos didn't really die?" Like it's the most incredibly signposted and obvious reveal that I'd be shocked if it wasn't that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ort posted:

I figured most were staying in Ishgard because at the time they were both still at war with the dragons and in a state of serious unrest what with the leadership situation that led to you going to Azys Lla to begin with. So they're trusting WoL to fix the crisis while they try to keep their home from burning down.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Glagha posted:

With regards to your third spoiler block there: I seriously can't understand how there's any other way to interpret it. At the end of the story Zenos apparently dies, then immediately after they're like "Oh man my son is dead." "Yeah that sucks. Anyway here check out my face as I dramatic reveal." "Oh wow that's messed up." Followed by the continuation after the plot saying "Oh man did you hear Zenos didn't really die?" Like it's the most incredibly signposted and obvious reveal that I'd be shocked if it wasn't that.

I consider this as a possibility, but there's still the angle of
1) Zenos being visibly hosed up on his return, we have had indications before that Ascians can't just manipulate their bodies like marionettes, they are dwelling inside of them. (The Warriors of Darkness and Unukalhai demonstrate physical stress and exertion, and they are functionally the same as Ascians.)
2) Ed has always had Garlean proportions, and never appeared in the 2.0 stories, only appearing AFTER a super charismatic Garlean general who was basically the poster child for FFXIV 'disappeared in a massive explosion during a bout of DEEP depression.'

If certainly COULD be him. But: it also feels like a potential misdirection. It's almost too easy.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 16, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It might be later but the echo is not the same for every person who has it. The WoL's echo is the combat oriented one, Krile's is very sensitive to aether and other people's thoughts and doesn't work well for fighting. All of them get the primal protection, but that's about the only commonality.

I don't think we know what Minfilia's echo was all about because she did nothing with it, and she's definitely the worst character in the game, but other than the DF adventurers the only people you've met with the echo are Krile and Minfilia.

edit: oh and ysale
You can have met Arenvald, too!
...Just an NPC in the Waking Sands, but he joins the Scions about the same time you do, and talks about having the Hydaelyn dream.

...and I guess the Sahagin Priest in the Leviathan questline, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hogama posted:

You can have met Arenvald, too!
...Just an NPC in the Waking Sands, but he joins the Scions about the same time you do, and talks about having the Hydaelyn dream.

...and I guess the Sahagin Priest in the Leviathan questline, too.

I have a feeling that the whole Resonant plotline is going to give us more insight into how the Echo works mechanically as time goes on. It's one thing to try to feel out what the Echo allows an individual to do from the inside, it's an entirely different thing to have people trying to reverse engineer it.