Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I always took the "to court death" thing as being the usual meaning of that - i.e. to seriously risk dying.

i suppose to folks who hadn't read the comics, that would make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I actually got super excited as I was watching it in theaters because it was immediately obvious to me. But of course I think that the finale of Episode 1 is actually really underrated as a cinematic work.

It's come up in the Black Panther specific thread, at least. And, yeah, it's really blatant. And once you do notice, it's hard not to notice things like Black Panther and Killmonger barely distinguishing themselves from each other once they're in the suits, as compared to how clearly distinct from each other Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Darth Maul are in style and temperament.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Per Kevin Feige....

Not a great explanation right now. I hope they end up smoothing out his motivation a bit.

Ah, he's Iron Man.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope Question Hound survives Infinity War :ohdear:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

McDragon posted:

I hope Question Hound survives Infinity War :ohdear:

He'll be fine.

Serf
May 5, 2011

so thanos was the guy who put up the georgia guidestones...

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

corn in the bible posted:

in the comics its because he thinks that if he kills enough people then the personification of death will finally gently caress him. thats not a joke it's the literal plot.

This is way better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

in the comics its because he thinks that if he kills enough people then the personification of death will finally gently caress him. thats not a joke it's the literal plot.

It's 100x more sensible and way cooler. What's this bringing balance to the galaxy poo poo?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It sounds like movie Thanos is basically just a guy who saw Episode 1 and didn't get what Bring Balance to The Force meant, but he can punch hard too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

josh04 posted:

Ah, he's Iron Man.

yeah it's not even remotely subtle at all with the way feige lays that out

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's 100x more sensible and way cooler. What's this bringing balance to the galaxy poo poo?

Feige posted:

He’s from a planet called Titan that’s no longer inhabited because of things that he thought he could help prevent, and he was not allowed to do that. What he feared most happened, and the planet and everybody on it basically went extinct. He vowed not to let that happen again. He thinks he sees the universe going down the tubes. He thinks he sees life expanding outward unchecked. That will bring ruin, he believes, to the universe and to that life.

Jesus Christ, his motivation is literally, 'the capitalist fantasy of infinite expansion and growth is bad.' The bad guy of Infinity War is Jor-El.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

K. Waste posted:

Jesus Christ, his motivation is literally, 'the capitalist fantasy of infinite expansion and growth is bad.' The bad guy of Infinity War is Jor-El.

So you’re saying Nebula is Superman?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Note how it's worded, though: "no longer inhabited" and "things he could help prevent" and "what he feared most happened". I have a suspicion Feige does script passes because he speaks in the exact nonspecific stakes-without-stakes kind of language of all of these movies. What things! This is movie #19, tell me what the things are!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

we have to keep letting Hard Men Make The Hard Decisions or else when things go wrong they'll start lusting for the death of half the universe

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Thanos the Sad Titan

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I liked the goon who suggested they keep the death plot but never show her and only show Thanks talking to himself so you’re unsure if we can’t see her or if he’s just completely off the deep end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

This is way better.

yeah it owns

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Thing I'm looking forward to most about Infinity War is not the movie itself, but the amount of casualties attributed to it in subsequent movies. In my head I'm picturing Thanos launching a massive military offensive across the globe with an army and machines that look like they are murdering millions of people, and then we find out in GoTG3 or whatever that there were 12 casualties and one guy sprained his ankle.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The balance thing in the comics, if I remember correctly, is that Death is explicitly mad that more people are born than die these days and all these superheroes and magic people keep resurrecting dudes or coming back to life or whatever. Nobody fuckin dies anymore!

So Thanos figures if he kills everyone then maybe she'll finally like him and they can bone or whatever

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
How many cars are gonna die?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The balance thing in the comics, if I remember correctly, is that Death is explicitly mad that more people are born than die these days and all these superheroes and magic people keep resurrecting dudes or coming back to life or whatever. Nobody fuckin dies anymore!

death is right, at least for the superheroes coming back to life part

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

Thing I'm looking forward to most about Infinity War is not the movie itself, but the amount of casualties attributed to it in subsequent movies. In my head I'm picturing Thanos launching a massive military offensive across the globe with an army and machines that look like they are murdering millions of people, and then we find out in GoTG3 or whatever that there were 12 casualties and one guy sprained his ankle.

i mean, in the comics they succumbed to cowardice too and just had adam warlock bring everyone back to life. i'm sure that's what'll happen here too, though maybe dr strange will do it instead, since nobody cares about adam warlock.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 16, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Dave posted:

only show Thanks talking to himself

You're welcome?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

i mean, in the comics they succumbed to cowardice too and just had adam warlock bring everyone back to life. i'm sure that's what'll happen here too, though maybe dr strange will do it instead, since nobody cares about adam warlock.

Well, if they want to kill people off for good, this is their chance. Also, this is the perfect time for recasting characters.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What benefit does refinancing the population of the universe hold for our large purple friend?

He's socially liberal but fiscally conservative. You have never debated a being like this before.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I Before E posted:

You're welcome?

drat phone posting ruining this forum!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
In on the ground floor for “Thanos was Right”

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

i am the bird posted:

In on the ground floor for “Thanos was Right”

"Thanos Was Stupid"

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

"Thanos Was Stupid"

Probably but I really like the way he wants to kill half of humanity

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one of these series should steal from dune and have the bad guy be a bad guy because he has to put humanity on a course to avert its extinction.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

one of these series should steal from dune and have the bad guy be a bad guy because he has to put humanity on a course to avert its extinction.

Too complicated. He’s big, he wants half of us dead, and he’s big — that’s all I need.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Cap's Counterattack

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

So, Ultron in Age of Ultron.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that was not ultron's plan.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was not ultron's plan.

He says that humanity is headed for extinction and that his goal is to force it to evolve so that it can survive what's coming.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ultron should make a return in this as a kind of cocky, lovable side kick to Stark.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Making Ultron his new Jarvis seems like exactly the kind of dumbass idea Tony Stark would have.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

The Dave posted:

I liked the goon who suggested they keep the death plot but never show her and only show Thanks talking to himself so you’re unsure if we can’t see her or if he’s just completely off the deep end.

The silver surfer cartoon on fox was kinda like that at times iirc or death would be stoic in some way.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I honestly can't help it but that trailer got me hyped as gently caress. I can't wait to see action figures mashed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Making Ultron his new Jarvis seems like exactly the kind of dumbass idea Tony Stark would have.

This is basically what Vision is, Marvel just robbed us of having him played by James Spader. Vision even shares Ultron's belief that humanity is doomed if it doesn't evolve, he's just good with it.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 16, 2018