Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

By your logic zapplez we should all stop wearing seat belts because they don't completely prevent injuries in car accidents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nor do they prevent car accidents at all wtf to hell with seat belts!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zapplez posted:

Can we not argue which of the particular gun control measures are the most worth while?

No, we can't, because as the other posters who agree with you have made perfectly clear, they will sabotage all gun control then point to it after and go "See, it doesn't work, never compromise ever again!"

I'm loving taking all of your guns, binch.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

zapplez posted:

Try again.
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-venezuela-crushes-2000-guns-in-public-plans-registry-of-bullets-2016-8
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-29308509
https://www.theguardian.com/global-...-now-victims-of
https://crimeresearch.org/2016/04/venezuela-homicide-rate-rose-after-2012-ban-on-private-ownership-of-guns/

Im starting to think if you cant even bother to do your own research and read my links you aren't arguing in good faith - You
:moonrio:

My last point was specifically about that gun control wont stop mass shootings. Because they go on with all weapon types. In order to stop more of those from happening we need to work on preventing vulnerable people from having access to guns and more access to mental health support. A guy like Cruz shouldn't have been able to buy a gun. The Sutherland Springs shooter legally wasn't allowed to, but some lovely clerks didn't do their job.

Can we not argue which of the particular gun control measures are the most worth while? I think we can both agree total disarmament is impossible in the USA anyways so who cares?

I know this is difficult, but your claim was about total disarmament; Venezuela does not have that. They have tried to get pretty close to that, but they're not actually there.

As to "can we not argue which of the particular gun control measures are the most worth while", uuuuh who is stopping you from discussing which methods you find the best? That would actually be the preferred thing for you to do. Explain to us what regulations you think would be effective. It's pretty telling that you've instead spent all of this time moving goalposts and arguing against a teeny tiny minority of people who--earnestly or not--suggest a total gun ban.

So go ahead, put yourself out there, let us know which gun control methods you think would be effective--bonus points if they're also political feasible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nope those all reference the same law, actually the same BBC article. Gunpolicy links to the actual 2013 law you're talking about. Which bans "weapons of war" and exempts the following from the definition

quote:

Artículo 5. Se considerarán armas de fuego distintas a las de guerra, las siguientes:
1. Armas orgánicas: Son aquellas armas de fuego utilizadas por la Fuerza Armada Nacional Bolivariana, los cuerpos de policía, órganos e instituciones que excepcionalmente ejerzan funciones propias del servicio de policía y demás organismos del Estado autorizados para la adquisición de armas, debidamente autorizadas y registradas por el órgano de la Fuerza Armada Nacional Bolivariana con competencia en materia de control de armas.

2. Armas deportivas: Comprende todas las armas que estén clasificadas como deportivas por las organizaciones internacionales dedicadas a la materia, cuya finalidad sea el uso para la práctica o competencia de la disciplina de tiro deportivo. Se incluyen en esta definición las armas neumáticas.
3. Armas de colección: Comprende las armas que fueron fabricadas antes del Siglo XX o sus réplicas, así como aquellas otras armas de fuego de uso diverso, que por su antigüedad, valor histórico y por sus características técnicas, estéticas, culturales o científicas, sean destinadas a la exhibición pública o privada.
4. Armas de cacería: Son aquellas armas de fuego utilizadas para garantizar el sustento alimenticio propio o el de la familia, así como para actividades comerciales, científicas, deportivas o con fines de control de especies animales.
5. Armas no industrializadas: Comprende aquellas armas que son inventadas, elaboradas, modificadas, reformadas o improvisadas, sin cumplir con los controles de fabricación industrial y registros oficiales respectivos.

Let me translate the important bits

quote:

Article 5. Firearms other than those of war, firearms, following:
2. Sporting Weapons: Includes all weapons that are classified as sports by international organizations dedicated to the subject, whose purpose is the use for the practice or competence of the discipline of sport shooting. Pneumatic weapons are included in this definition.
4. Hunting weapons: Are those firearms used to guarantee one's own food or that of one's family, as well as for commercial, scientific, or sports activities or for animal control.

You are lying.

zapplez posted:

My last point was specifically about that gun control wont stop mass shootings. Because they go on with all weapon types. In order to stop more of those from happening we need to work on preventing vulnerable people from having access to guns and more access to mental health support. A guy like Cruz shouldn't have been able to buy a gun. The Sutherland Springs shooter legally wasn't allowed to, but some lovely clerks didn't do their job.

Can we not argue which of the particular gun control measures are the most worth while? I think we can both agree total disarmament is impossible in the USA anyways so who cares?

I agree there is no point in arguing whether gun control reduces homicides, you are objectively wrong about it and I've posted the evidence a million times, which is why you're trying to change the subject by freaking out over shitposts about banning all guns.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I think the best type of gun ban would be to ban any gun with scary visual features specifically to piss off posters in this thread who trot that line out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Nope those all reference the same law, actually the same BBC article. Gunpolicy links to the actual 2013 law you're talking about. Which bans "weapons of war" and exempts the following from the definition

You are lying.

I agree there is no point in arguing whether gun control reduces homicides, you are objectively wrong about it and I've posted the evidence a million times, which is why you're trying to change the subject by freaking out over shitposts about banning all guns.

I never argued that gun control doesn't normally lower gun homicide rates? I think it does. It works most of the time in first world countries, and generally doesn't in third world countries. I am FOR it.

I think you are just arguing at me like I represent all gun nuts. Relax

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 17, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

You are lying.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-29308509
This article is a year after your law. Read what they are trying to accomplish.
It's not working well because its a loving impossible task.

https://actualidad.rt.com/actualidad/237457-venezuela-suspender-porte-armas

Two different presidents have tried to get it going but its impossible because the citizenry know they are hosed and need guns to defend themselves. They keep trying to confisicate them though.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So your examples of places that banned all guns are places that didn't ban all guns?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If Venezuela's law doesn't ban hunting rifles, why do I keep insisting that it does, checkmate liberals

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Either way the gun control has been working great there

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

zapplez posted:

Either way the gun control has been working great there

I'm shocked that gun control doesn't solve systemic issues. Just shocked. Almost as shocking as how fast those goal posts move.

Anyway, let's hear about your gun control proposals that you were whining about not being able to express cuz of too many "ban all guns" types. Cuz it sure seems like this has been one big diversion.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Jaxyon posted:

So your examples of places that banned all guns are places that didn't ban all guns?

Syria "asked" people to disarm. They asked! That's like a total ban, right?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I am a reasonable gun owner who would support reasonable gun control if random posters on internet forums wouldn't post "ban all guns", please take me seriously.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

countries that are extremely comparable to the us:
venezuela, syria

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

stone cold posted:

venezuela, syria

give trump a chance

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stone cold posted:

venezuela, syria

australia,finland,demark,switzerland,sweden, other rich countries with low crime rates both pre and post gun control

but in all seriousness there are no countries to compare the usa to. its unique in its terrible abject poverty and open gang war zones, and then super rich whiteys all over.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

zapplez posted:

australia,finland,demark,switzerland,sweden, other rich countries with low crime rates both pre and post gun control

but in all seriousness there are no countries to compare the usa to. its unique in its terrible abject poverty and open gang war zones, and then super rich whiteys all over.

that’s, a lie

stone cold posted:

despite having comparable crime rates to the OECD countries, the us has way more lethal violence

could it possibly be because guns exist

quote:

The data seems to support this. "Robbery and assault rates ... reveal several Western nations that rival the United States," a 2011 review found. "While the level of lethal violence in the United States is probably the highest in the Western world, it is hard to make the case for US exceptionalism when it comes to non-lethal violence."

quote:

"There's no question the United States faces a number of distinctive social policy challenges, some of which affect the crime rate. But many other OECD countries face their own distinctive problems that affect their crime rate," he told me. Western Europe, for example, has a major problem with drug use. Canadian cities have "very high" rates of property crime like car theft. And yet, the US still stands out on murders.

"I think that Americans have this view of Western Europe, or Toronto for that matter, which is very stereotypical and doesn't take into account the challenges that many of peer industrial democracy problems face," he points out. "There's a lot of drug sale, a lot of ethnic stratification and conflict, there's a lot of just general crime."

Pollack also shared Zimring and Hawkins's theory of the ease with which guns escalate conflict to violence, and thus heighten homicide rates. "Some of the behaviors that we think of as fundamentally linked with violence may stay quite steady as the violence rate goes down, as you get a better handle on the gun issue," he explained.

hmmmmm

if you’re going to be one of the tedious GUN people, could you at least be tedious in a fresh way

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You should compare what the poverty rates of USA and those other countries on that list

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zapplez posted:

You should compare what the poverty rates of USA and those other countries on that list

The US has a much lower poverty rate than many of the countries in the first plot, for instance Lithuania. But you arbitrarily decided we should only look at a few countries, hmm why could that be

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

The US has a much lower poverty rate than many of the countries in the first plot, for instance Lithuania. But you arbitrarily decided we should only look at a few countries, hmm why could that be

GUN can only be failed

AdmiralNeltharion
Feb 23, 2018
The problem with guns is that with current laws, you can give no poo poo about license and grab them guns easily from a gun store. With minimal skills, you can then strap your gun and live on your GTA fantasies. Sure, gun ban cannot totally prevent homicide since there's still shitload of other tools to kill around but it at least will greatly restrict the access of guns to those who do not deserve it. Unlike what you might think, Switzerland has amazing gun control, only those who served in the military can own guns and they completely forbid concealed carry on the street.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

AdmiralNeltharion posted:

The problem with guns is that with current laws, you can give no poo poo about license and grab them guns easily from a gun store. With minimal skills, you can then strap your gun and live on your GTA fantasies. Sure, gun ban cannot totally prevent homicide since there's still shitload of other tools to kill around but it at least will greatly restrict the access of guns to those who do not deserve it. Unlike what you might think, Switzerland has amazing gun control, only those who served in the military can own guns and they completely forbid concealed carry on the street.

but I was told hot twentysomethings open carrying rifles was critical to Israel's security

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Why are guns the magical exception to the rule of law for gun advocates

Like, laws making poo poo better have worked since Hammurabi, why wouldn't they work for guns?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
The problem with guns is they make it way too easy for one person to quickly kill a fuckload of other people.

Also, humans are trash at judging risk and their own skill levels.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I know exactly what my skill levels are and to be honest a school is about the smallest target I can hit at any appreciable distance.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Unoriginal Name posted:

Why are guns the magical exception to the rule of law for gun advocates

Like, laws making poo poo better have worked since Hammurabi, why wouldn't they work for guns?

BECAUSE MY HOBBY.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:byodood: "Guns are for safety! I need one to protect my family!"

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/975686522338004992

Predicting the inevitable response - "Well that was just one bad owner who didn't secure his guns, I secure my guns all the time and thus I assume that 99.9% of fellow gun owners also secure their guns despite statistics proving me wrong!"

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Predicting the inevitable response - "Well that was just one bad owner who didn't secure his guns, I secure my guns all the time and thus I assume that 99.9% of fellow gun owners also secure their guns despite statistics proving me wrong!"

I think the key word we need to look at here is "video game."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If that tween girl had had her own self-defense firearm this never would have happened, thanks a lot liberals

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

quote:

Rep. Tom Suozzi made the remark to constituents at a town hall last week, saying that folks opposed to Trump might resort to the “Second Amendment.”

“It’s really a matter of putting public pressure on the president,” Suozzi said in a newly released video of the March 12 talk in Huntington. “This is where the Second Amendment comes in, quite frankly, because you know, what if the president was to ignore the courts? What would you do? What would we do?”

:lol:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Man, all of these right wing militias would surly rise up against Trump's tyranny. They must! That's what the second ammendment is supposed to set up! Oh, you mean, these same people are the ones cheering on Trump, voted him in and are bombing black people in austin?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Man, all of these right wing militias would surly rise up against Trump's tyranny. They must! That's what the second ammendment is supposed to set up! Oh, you mean, these same people are the ones cheering on Trump, voted him in and are bombing black people in austin?
[idiot moderate voice] well actually, there were two white men injured in the latest attack so

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

What in the gently caress????

"In Mississippi, there is no law that holds an adult responsible when children have access to weapons that are not secured. Cantrell said at this point it's just not clear whether there will be charges on the adults in the home, or on the 9-year-old alleged shooter."

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

WampaLord posted:

Strawman much?

I assume that fully 50% of other gun owners are complete idiots, and the number might be much higher given that gun ownership skews along party lines. I see motherfuckers every day that can't even be bothered to wipe off more than 15% of the snow from their front windshield before they get on the highway; think someone like that knows what a proper gun safe is? gently caress no.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I assume that fully 50% of other gun owners are complete idiots, and the number might be much higher given that gun ownership skews along party lines. I see motherfuckers every day that can't even be bothered to wipe off more than 15% of the snow from their front windshield before they get on the highway; think someone like that knows what a proper gun safe is? gently caress no.

And yet you support their "right" to buy as many guns as they want?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

WampaLord posted:

And yet you support their "right" to buy as many guns as they want?

No? If it were up to me most of them wouldn't be allowed to have cars, either

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

ah, another tick in the “GUN is just like car” column

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I am disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm for the Long Island armed #resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MixMastaTJ posted:

It's possible I'm an idiot who doesn't understand the word endangerment but I would typically consider increasing the odds of someones death "endangerment." As we've gone over thousands of times now, owning a firearm increases the likelihood of someone in your household dying from a firearm related incident.
"Statistically increases the likelihood on average of harm to an unspecified other" is not a standard we apply to any other harm. See my earlier comment about owning wine and a car at the same time.

MixMastaTJ posted:

Hunting- killing animals.
Self defense- killing "aggressors."

So for starters, as we've been over, self defense is 100% bullshit BUT even if I give you that, the point remains guns are for killing someone. The explicit use of a firearm is firearm related death. It's the death of someone you may be in the right to kill, but it is still a death.

And if you're arguing target shooting as the main utility of firearms then you can't defend any caliber higher than a .22.
Killing animals is fine. It is not a social harm we need concern ourselves with. Justifiable self-defense, even if it results in the death of the attacker, is a good outcome, because the alternative would be the death, maiming, or rape of the defender or another. People are not obliged to allow others to prey on them until such time as society takes care of every need to the extent that people do not prey on each other.

MixMastaTJ posted:

This is insane. I never said anything about "creators intent" I'm talking about the item's singular use- killing things. If we found out that an unintendid use for guns was that they worked as a miracle toilet cleaner and people started buying guns to clean their toilets this would be a different matter. We'd be weighing your right to clean your toilet against the risk of gun death. As it stands we're weighing the right to risk gun death against the risk of gun death.

Anyway, I'm not even making these arguments because I want all guns banned. This is just a ridiculous, obnoxious argument where you take the stance that guns aren't a weapon and that there is no difference between weapons and things that aren't weapons and you can't concieve why we would ever have different laws for weapons than we do things that aren't weapons.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you're not basing your claim on the notion that guns were designed as weapons, then how exactly are you determining their utility and purpose? By what metric are you distinguishing weapons from non-weapons, if not design? Every time I use my shotgun to break clay pigeons, am I somehow offending its purpose as a deadly implement?

VitalSigns posted:

Literally any other country that has implemented gun control but hasn't banned 100% of guns which is pretty much every other Western democracy.
Again, you answer the question that you wish was asked, instead of the one that was actually asked. I did not ask you to name a country which has completely outlawed firearms. I asked you to provide an example of a time when a political majority felt additional regulation would be good and desirable, and had the votes to do it, but chose not to due to past cooperation by the people they wished to regulate. For your argument to be valid, either you need to demonstrate that political majorities have refrained from regulation due to some past gentleman's agreement with those they thought needed further regulation, or demonstrate that there is some measure of gun control beyond which the pro-control side would be unwilling to go, but which would be a palatable status quo to the gun owner side.

• Locked thread