Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Mef989 posted:

I'm still working my way through the Horus Heresy books, so is there a reason for this? I understand Thousand Sons since their non psychers are just dust in sealed metal suits, but Fulgrim and Angrom are still around as Demon Princes aren't they?

The night lords were shattered when the entire ultramarines legions headshot the capital of their empire in the outer fringes of space during the scouring a decently long while after the heresy ended. As per fluff from before the fall of Cadia the night lords were reforming into semi legion strength under the banner of their new prophet, there hasnt been any fluff in them specifically since the timeline moved forward other than they have carved out their own empire out of a bunch of cut off imperial worlds so who even knows.

The alpha legion operates in such a way that they might be acting as a legion or their intense secrecy and insular nature has them fragmented beyond repair with no way to know what is true. What is known is they are behind the founding of a bunch of tempestus scion regiments in the ultramar sector which i assume will be a thing at some point :stare:

Zasze fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Mef989 posted:

I'm still working my way through the Horus Heresy books, so is there a reason for this? I understand Thousand Sons since their non psychers are just dust in sealed metal suits, but Fulgrim and Angrom are still around as Demon Princes aren't they?

The Emperor's Children are basically too caught up in their own individual quests for pleasures and sensations, and naturally fragmented. The World Eaters are basically the same, but blood and skulls and their own leader, Kharn, shoved them even further into the blood madness. Plus Angron is absolutely not leading poo poo.

The Thousand Sons were in the same state too, until the broken Magnus properly reformed and their many cabals rejoined. All three would normally be found selling their services to other warbands.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Alpha legion's gimmick is that their lore is intentionally super vague to let you treat them as whatever, so the only 100% confirmed stuff is:

- good at subterfuge, guerilla warfare
- Gulliman didnt like Alpharius
- Alpharius is the chaos twin, huge jerk & horus buddy
- Omegon might be a good guy, might not (totally is)
- brothers still bros

Unless I'm mistaken almost zero (at least visual) fluff has shown them having chaos mutations, just to contribute to the whole "which side are they on????" stuff.

They're a lot like Cypher (the Cable of 40k), or chaos version of Ultramarines (in that you can do whatever)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

No mercy for the weak...

Of course you're a badboi, what with your boring rear end in a top hat chapter of dudes whose fluff is "being the lovely cop legion who follow all the rules and narc on people."

Any losses incurred by the fuckbois were from a false flag operation run by badboi weebs

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Of course you're a badboi, what with your boring rear end in a top hat chapter of dudes whose fluff is "being the lovely cop legion who follow all the rules and narc on people."

Sorry can't hear you over the sound of being wildly successful at everything.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Sorry can't hear you over the sound of being wildly successful at everything.

*points to beautiful pair of INTACT COLLARBONES and FULLY FUNCTIONAL 2012 TOYOTA YARIS*

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
In Pariah (follow-on to Eisenhorn and Ravenor): There's an Alpha Legionary concealed as a street tough who identifies himself as Alpharius although I've heard that this is also how they all refer to themselves? :confused:

(Not quoting because that would give away the spoiler, innit?)

E: Boo on tag-nesting not being a thing. :argh: RADIUM! :argh:

EE: Gave you a couple more chances to back out. The book isn't great or anything, but just in case?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 16, 2018

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

TheChirurgeon posted:

this guy gets it

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Any losses incurred by the fuckbois were from a false flag operation run by badboi weebs

The Sex Cannon posted:

this guy gets it

Alright mother fuckers...

*puts inhaler down*

*takes off cheato stained t-shirt and wrist brace*

Schadenboner posted:

EE: Gave you a couple more chances to back out. The book isn't great or anything, but just in case?

How dare you. Pariah is loving excellent. So many people to line up against the wall come The Revolution...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

Size comparison, taken from Twitter:

Those are well proportioned models. Random interjection: I can't stand the oval base the standard Knights are sat on. It just looks super weird to me that they're standing aligned horizontally to that shape. I've seen peoples conversions and custom builds on a circular base (often with the legs reposed as well) and it makes a world of difference.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Uroboros posted:

Alright mother fuckers...

*puts inhaler down*

*takes off cheato stained t-shirt and wrist brace*

How dare you. Pariah is loving excellent. So many people to line up against the wall come The Revolution...

I mean, I liked it, but "Grimdark Steampunk Jane Austen" narration might not be for everyone?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Alpha legion's gimmick is that their lore is intentionally super vague to let you treat them as whatever, so the only 100% confirmed stuff is:

- brothers still bros

Unless I'm mistaken almost zero (at least visual) fluff has shown them having chaos mutations, just to contribute to the whole "which side are they on????" stuff.

They're a lot like Cypher (the Cable of 40k), or chaos version of Ultramarines (in that you can do whatever)

I'm working through Legion right now and kind of like how obscure they are. I'm tempted to read up on more of their current fluff. Where is that Tempestus Scion fluff located?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

In Pariah (follow-on to Eisenhorn and Ravenor): There's an Alpha Legionary concealed as a street tough who identifies himself as Alpharius although I've heard that this is also how they all refer to themselves? :confused:

(Not quoting because that would give away the spoiler, innit?)

E: Boo on tag-nesting not being a thing. :argh: RADIUM! :argh:

Would not be surprised if it was just some random Alpha Legion dude. They seem to love that whole "I am Negan/Sparticus/Alpharius" thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I'm fluffing my Guard Bois and I'm wondering if this seems too snowflake (bad writing aside):

quote:

A combined-arms brigade formed from the graduates of the Schola Progenia on Praxia. Mixed-gender (25-33% female, Our Martyred Lady has a major convent on Praxia). Imperial battle honors stretching back to the Great Crusade (which is why they still have organic SH and Heavy Tank coys). Records are sketchy but it is known that the Shadowsword and two Malcadors of the 219th carry the Raptor Imperialis indicating the presence of the tank on the same battlefield as He.

They have like 5 superheavies and 6 Malchies attached to the Kombrig. And the percentage female is the number of "Women in beret" heads I can find that don't look like trash, next to the ones from Anvil and Mad Robot.
:ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 16, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

*points to beautiful pair of INTACT COLLARBONES and FULLY FUNCTIONAL 2012 TOYOTA YARIS*
Broken bones are famous for being stronger after the fact :smugdog:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

The Sex Cannon posted:

this guy gets it

wrong. the badbois are a multiethnic street gang where hard work gets you in a better position, not your skin color or what is between your legs

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

wrong. the badbois are a multiethnic street gang where hard work gets you in a better position, not your skin color or what is between your legs

The badbois are one of those gangs that shows up to a gun fight snapping their fingers and dancing and then gets shot to death

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
At least we were able to save the Rec Center from being bulldozed by those stuffy big city business types!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I figure we will have a name by August.

Right?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

- brothers still bros

As you said, the whole point of them is to be vague, but the question of their loyalty is a more recent development, and is confined to the HH books. Alpharius isn't fully chaos and Omegon isn't fully good.

There's plenty of stuff set in the "present" that has full-fledged Chaos-worshipping Alphas. I mean, even the Chaos Space Marine codex has them in mutated armor with daemon engines.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Hustlin Floh posted:

As you said, the whole point of them is to be vague, but the question of their loyalty is a more recent development, and is confined to the HH books. Alpharius isn't fully chaos and Omegon isn't fully good.

There's plenty of stuff set in the "present" that has full-fledged Chaos-worshipping Alphas. I mean, even the Chaos Space Marine codex has them in mutated armor with daemon engines.

Similarly, is there any indication as to which direction Cypher leans with regards to worshipping chaos or not, or is he still completely vague/non-chaos renegade.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

SteelMentor posted:

It’s a shame the tactics pages are so good ‘coz the rest of the site is hot garbage. Well, besides the stupid pissy edit wars and constant linking to the rape page.

Be the change you wish to see. Whenever I see a rape link I just edit it out and I've never seen one get put back in. I think I've cleaned up over 3/4 of the tactics pages just by incidentally editing out any gross idiot stuff.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
40k Russ should be a wolf the size of the old Necrosphinx kit for the Tomb Kings, with an armored howdah on his back for transporting the wulfiest of the wulfen into battle

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schadenboner posted:

So I'm fluffing my Guard Bois and I'm wondering if this seems too snowflake (bad writing aside):

They have like 5 superheavies and 6 Malchies attached to the Kombrig. And the percentage female is the number of "Women in beret" heads I can find that don't look like trash, next to the ones from Anvil and Mad Robot.

It's not too "snowflake", it's just way too specific. I know this is for your own benefit, but I don't think anyone is concerned about the exact range of percentages of :females: in your regiment.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mef989 posted:

Similarly, is there any indication as to which direction Cypher leans with regards to worshipping chaos or not, or is he still completely vague/non-chaos renegade.

It almost seems like a rule that for every bit of fluff that makes Cypher seem to be helping the Imperium, they have to write another where he seems to be Chaos-leaning. He's intentionally vague.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

zeal posted:

40k Russ should be a wolf the size of the old Necrosphinx kit for the Tomb Kings, with an armored howdah on his back for transporting the wulfiest of the wulfen into battle

This, except they're carried in underslung baby-bjorns.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hustlin Floh posted:

It's not too "snowflake", it's just way too specific. I know this is for your own benefit, but I don't think anyone is concerned about the exact range of percentages of :females: in your regiment.

Well, yeah. This is from the design document not the army blurb and it's a "just so" story based on the number of heads available.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

OhDearGodNo posted:

I figure we will have a name by August.

Right?

Hive Fleet Lowtax

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neurolimal posted:

Sooo, some LOTD lore mentions them having damaged armor that exposes bone wreathed in flame; while that would be pretty hard to sculpt it does make me want to add some guys with straight up skull heads, was wondering if I could get some advice on which heads to take:

I feel the first one fits the description of exposed armor best but might be too similar to already-existing LOTD heads with skull faceplates, the flaming skull is pretty accurate to overall LOTD A E S T H E T I C and has some charm in that they look like they have goofy stylized fire-hair, while the normal skulls have the most character and diversity (despite looking to be largely the same sculpts; I guess visible cranium matters).

I say do a mix of all three; variety is the spice of life!

The first is my favorite.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

The first is my favorite.

:wrong:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Schadenboner posted:

Its 40k, if your army isn't a snowflake you're doing it wrong.

That seems pretty rad to me.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Neurolimal posted:

Sooo, some LOTD lore mentions them having damaged armor that exposes bone wreathed in flame; while that would be pretty hard to sculpt it does make me want to add some guys with straight up skull heads, was wondering if I could get some advice on which heads to take:

I feel the first one fits the description of exposed armor best but might be too similar to already-existing LOTD heads with skull faceplates, the flaming skull is pretty accurate to overall LOTD A E S T H E T I C and has some charm in that they look like they have goofy stylized fire-hair, while the normal skulls have the most character and diversity (despite looking to be largely the same sculpts; I guess visible cranium matters).

If you don't pick the pumpkin heads you done goofed

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

goodness posted:

If you don't pick the pumpkin heads you done goofed

Sergeants-only.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Review of forgebane.

Good: Armiger is 227 points.

Bad: why are both the rule sets in a single book? Really surprised they didn’t split the rules like Dark Imperium.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

Review of forgebane.

loving called it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Could you build vanguard with forgebane or do they only have the ranger part of the sprues?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Kinda wanted to be a badboi instead of a fuckboi but anime sucks sooooo

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Review of forgebane.

Bad: why are both the rule sets in a single book? Really surprised they didn’t split the rules like Dark Imperium.

The necron codex is coming out next anyway, does it really matter?

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Zuul the Cat posted:

Review of forgebane.

Still not sure how there an upgrade over a 145 point dune crawler with neutron blaster. 1 more wound and better melee but you loose Canticles and the neutron blaster is better than the thermal Lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

the moose posted:

Still not sure how there an upgrade over a 145 point dune crawler with neutron blaster. 1 more wound and better melee but you loose Canticles and the neutron blaster is better than the thermal Lance.

It's not an AdMech unit, just a unit with minor AdMech synergy like other knights. Also the fact that it isn't utterly helpless once charged is relevant as is its ability to kill things in 2 phases rather than 1.