Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Wow, thanks for saving me some money. I got shadows of the past, I'll stick to that.

Bummer that munchkin got Usagi and SotP didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
It's one of those games that your friends/family who don't really play board/card games will break out once in a while as this funny new game they found. If you only have to play it once a year or so it's not the worst game (better than another Monopoly skin) but nobody who knows better should ever seek out more chances to play it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yeah it's a game my friends who know I board game, I go to their house and they pull out munchkin:haw: and cards against humanity :haw: and I try to decide which will hurt less to play. throwing myself out the window is preferable

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 19, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kaza42 posted:

It's one of those games that your friends/family who don't really play board/card games will break out once in a while as this funny new game they found. If you only have to play it once a year or so it's not the worst game (better than another Monopoly skin) but nobody who knows better should ever seek out more chances to play it
Basically this.

It is a horrible game. A real wreck of design from top to bottom. Gameplay-wise it has zero redeeming qualities.

But it's got cute, funny art and plenty of in-jokes, and it can, in a pinch, serve as something to do while getting drunk with your friends. Because there's people who love it, for some reason, and will insist on playing this brand new expansion they just got, and 'playing bad games once in a while' is sometimes part of friendship.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My local game shop owner runs a Munchkin Invitational for a spot in like done national tournament. I turned and walked out when he told me this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rad Valtar posted:

My local game shop owner runs a Munchkin Invitational for a spot in like done national tournament. I turned and walked out when he told me this.
There isn't enough gameplay to Munchkin to support a tournament. How??

And how would a person serious about games ever tell their friends, "Uh, I was the World Champion of Munchkin..."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

But it's got cute, funny art

For the life of me I have never understood the appeal of John Kovalic. Props to him for living his dream and all, but his art fuckin sucks.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

dwarf74 posted:

There isn't enough gameplay to Munchkin to support a tournament. How??

And how would a person serious about games ever tell their friends, "Uh, I was the World Champion of Munchkin..."

Make sure you're wearing the right shirt to get the edge on your opponents.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah it's a game my friends who know I board game, I go to their house and they pull out munchkin:haw: and cards against humanity :haw: and I try to decide which will hurt less to play. throwing myself out the window is preferable

The correct option is to introduce them to Red Dragon Inn, which has the benefit of being at least a decent game that normal people can get into and learn pretty fast.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rad Valtar posted:

You are *extremely* edgy!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

The correct option is to introduce them to Red Dragon Inn, which has the benefit of being at least a decent game that normal people can get into and learn pretty fast.

I used Cockroach Poker. We play good games. And even got them on Gloomhaven so...their lives are gone. But every once in a while I show up and they pull out some bullshit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You can only play 'kill the guy with the ball' so many times and in so many ways.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Honestly Munchkin's biggest sin, which is related to its "take that" nature, is that it just takes so long to finally end. If it was a short, breezy game it wouldn't be remarkably better but at the very least it wouldn't have a tendency to take over game nights like some sort of smothering blob-monster when someone goes "hey let's play a game of Munchkin!" and there goes the next two hours down the drain. Exploding Kittens is hot garbage but at least it's over in like five minutes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly Munchkin's biggest sin, which is related to its "take that" nature, is that it just takes so long to finally end. If it was a short, breezy game it wouldn't be remarkably better but at the very least it wouldn't have a tendency to take over game nights like some sort of smothering blob-monster when someone goes "hey let's play a game of Munchkin!" and there goes the next two hours down the drain. Exploding Kittens is hot garbage but at least it's over in like five minutes.

Munchkin is the millennial generation's Monopoly. Back in my day, this was exactly the worst sin of board game nights everywhere, when someone hauled out Monopoly. I realize it's still a massive seller but I suspect that's exclusively to people over the age of ~40.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Streamlined and not poo poo it become love letter. Take that for 3-5 min at a time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A lot of "party style" games are like that in my experience, things like Cards Against Humanity and Epic Spell Wizards of Mount Skullzfyre, where (regardless of their other qualities or lack thereof) they wind up being extremely drawn-out affairs that only ever end when there's finally a group consensus to simply stop playing rather than the game actually reaching a natural conclusion. It doesn't help that a lot of these games are also brought out because there are too many people in attendance for them all to play other games which only support, say, 4-5 players and so rather than simply splitting off into separate groups to play different games simultaneously someone insists on a game that everyone can play together, even though cramming an excess of players into the same game of Munchkin only makes it take even longer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

A lot of "party style" games are like that in my experience, things like Cards Against Humanity and Epic Spell Wizards of Mount Skullzfyre, where (regardless of their other qualities or lack thereof) they wind up being extremely drawn-out affairs that only ever end when there's finally a group consensus to simply stop playing rather than the game actually reaching a natural conclusion. It doesn't help that a lot of these games are also brought out because there are too many people in attendance for them all to play other games which only support, say, 4-5 players and so rather than simply splitting off into separate groups to play different games simultaneously someone insists on a game that everyone can play together, even though cramming an excess of players into the same game of Munchkin only makes it take even longer.

Cockroach poker

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My experience with those terrible unending Forever Games (like Munchkin) are they go on until enough people become bored and start playing suboptimally in order to allow someone else to win and bring an end to all their suffering.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

My experience with those terrible unending Forever Games (like Munchkin) are they go on until enough people become bored and start playing suboptimally in order to allow someone else to win and bring an end to all their suffering.
Usually this is me first.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

FMguru posted:

This is me when forced to play Risk, but I do this from the start of the game. Risk sucks.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Cards against humanity is one of those games someone pulls out for the first time and says "You're really going to enjoy this", but it always feels more like a demand than a statement.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Subjunctive posted:

You are *extremely* edgy!

If you quote too many of my posts you might wake up with a few cuts.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
You know, I'm not one of those people who typically complains about Kickstarter being used by established publishers, but Munchkin is literally the money hose that keeps Steve Jackson in business. There is zero reason it needs to be Kickstarted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why not? Kickstarter isn’t some means-tested charity program, it’s a marketing tool. More the merrier, especially if they can deliver.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FMguru posted:

Talisman.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I've had a lot of luck with using Fluxx and its variants as my quick party game of choice.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ugh you get Kevin Eastman to to do Turtle art and Usagi Yojimbo and it's for... it's for... it's for... :tizzy:

Why do they have to put things I like so much in a game I have less than zero interest in playing, why.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Skull and Junk art are my favourite 'party' games. Shame they only scale to 6.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Dude. Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2nd Edition PDF dropped, and it is loving gorgeous. Glad I backed it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am pretty sad that I missed that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Skull and Junk art are my favourite 'party' games. Shame they only scale to 6.

If you buy two sets of Skull with distinct art you can play with more, though it does draw the game out some.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kai Tave posted:

If you buy two sets of Skull with distinct art you can play with more, though it does draw the game out some.

I don't even think you need sets with distinct art - we put our 'dead' coasters under our scoring coaster so it's pretty clear whos stuff is who.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Why not? Kickstarter isn’t some means-tested charity program, it’s a marketing tool. More the merrier, especially if they can deliver.

It's Munchkin. With the TMNT license, even. It's not going to get more eyes on Kickstarter than it will by sitting on the shelves at Target and Walmart and wherever else. Not even close, probably. And Kickstarters occupy a non-trivial amount of time and attention from the people running it, not to mention Kickstarter taking a cut, etc. I'm not objecting to it because I think it's an offense against principle or whatever, I just think it has the kind of market penetration that makes Kickstarter unnecessary. Obviously they must disagree.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

malkav11 posted:

It's Munchkin. With the TMNT license, even. It's not going to get more eyes on Kickstarter than it will by sitting on the shelves at Target and Walmart and wherever else. Not even close, probably. And Kickstarters occupy a non-trivial amount of time and attention from the people running it, not to mention Kickstarter taking a cut, etc. I'm not objecting to it because I think it's an offense against principle or whatever, I just think it has the kind of market penetration that makes Kickstarter unnecessary. Obviously they must disagree.

On the other hand, kickstarter means cutting out distribution chains, and that's a lot of money.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bieeanshee posted:

Me too!

"Hey, a Breakfast Cult expansion! Cool! Do I get--"
"Hey, a coupon for the Breakfast Cult expansion!"

It's been a good morning.

I hope you like it! I'm gonna try and get at least 1-2 more out this year, we'll see how it goes :toot:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

On the other hand, kickstarter means cutting out distribution chains, and that's a lot of money.

To some extent. You're still needing to do fulfillment and distribution to backers and unless you're not planning to release at retail at all (madness, when it comes to a Munchkin product), that'll still go through the usual channels. Still, I suppose it probably pays for itself and then some on those copies so why not.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

malkav11 posted:

To some extent. You're still needing to do fulfillment and distribution to backers and unless you're not planning to release at retail at all (madness, when it comes to a Munchkin product), that'll still go through the usual channels. Still, I suppose it probably pays for itself and then some on those copies so why not.

You're talking about close to a threefold revenue difference, which more than pays for the out of pocket expenses. And yes, it will eventually go to retail eventually regardless.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Subjunctive posted:

I am pretty sad that I missed that.

It goes on sale tomorrow, so you won't have long to wait :D

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandasaurus/dinosaur-island-back-from-extinction

Any thoughts on dinosaur island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

I hope you like it! I'm gonna try and get at least 1-2 more out this year, we'll see how it goes :toot:

Where does Retrocausality fit in this release schedule?