Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ataxerxes posted:

How do you get more agents than just the very first one? I have been playing the game for about 7 hours after the agent patch dropped and still have only gotten the one you got when you logged in after the patch. I'm lv 50 and doing the Tokyo leadup guests right now.

Most missions give a chance at one but it is extremely random and probably needs a pity drop after you go so many missions without getting one. Some folks have gotten several drops, others nothing after 100+ missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Asking you what your words mean is a weird game, classic game dev. I'm sorry I ever gave Funcom money.

I do not think the comment about a miracle was intending to come across as placation, more as humourous self deprecation about a difficult situation. We do not need to get antsy at each other and it is always pleasant to have a pipeline to the games creation.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I play quite a bit and so far I've had three drops - two from scenarios, one from regional bosses (and I ran a shitload of scenarios and tanked 52 regional bosses in a row during the "key free" weekend when agents launched, which skews the numbers somewhat) and zero from missions. We're going to get a second agent for free at some point (probably with season 2) but your best bet beyond that is either boosters or the auction house, depending on how you feel - you can get about five boosters for the price of a single agent at auction but you might get unlucky and get nothing but gear. Agent drop rate from boosters was estimated to be around 20% last time I checked the forums.

The initial forums outcry about the low drop rate from boosters put me off at first but they've actually given me something to spend marks of favour on and I can safely say that the agent system is a lot more interesting once you've got a half dozen guys to rotate between. :v:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

They definately need a pity drop if only, like I posted earlier, to incentivise (is it a word?) people to resbscribe for second slot. I, for instance, considered the idea and didn't do it because no dossier dropped after a reasonable amount of effort. This is of course highly arbitrary and depends on your perception of how much work dossiers are "worth" - to me it felt like 10 missions/scens for a "common" dossier is about as much as I'm willing to do. It just seems weird for Funcom to make all the effort to create the system and than lock it behind stupid low drop chance.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Space Skeleton posted:

Most missions give a chance at one but it is extremely random and probably needs a pity drop after you go so many missions without getting one. Some folks have gotten several drops, others nothing after 100+ missions.

We're adding a quick second agent next time we patch

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sekenr posted:

They definately need a pity drop if only, like I posted earlier, to incentivise (is it a word?) people to resbscribe for second slot. I, for instance, considered the idea and didn't do it because no dossier dropped after a reasonable amount of effort. This is of course highly arbitrary and depends on your perception of how much work dossiers are "worth" - to me it felt like 10 missions/scens for a "common" dossier is about as much as I'm willing to do. It just seems weird for Funcom to make all the effort to create the system and than lock it behind stupid low drop chance.

We have to keep the overall droprate low or people would have finished the first week. The problem is that previous events don't influence future results, so some people get one after their first mission and some after 200 missions. We want to do something about it but I'm not sure what the exact solution we're going to use is

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

theflyingorc posted:

We're adding a quick second agent next time we patch

No worries there, I was simply wondering if there was something I had missed. Besides you are doing a good job, head down to Finland and I'll buy you beer.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

We have to keep the overall droprate low or people would have finished the first week. The problem is that previous events don't influence future results, so some people get one after their first mission and some after 200 missions. We want to do something about it but I'm not sure what the exact solution we're going to use is

I assume some kind of bog-standard MMO streak protection where the chance of a drop goes up by a bit every time you don’t get one and goes back down to its typical low rate when you finally do

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

theflyingorc posted:

Wasn't that the same problem you guys had with augments? You could get all of them on cool down and get super unlucky and end up with nothing.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Well, there are rarity tiers so make "common" more common so people have something to play with and might get invested in the system. Everybody got a shitton of common cats in automn, but not everybody got the rare cats - I don't think anyone complained.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Droprate seems way way way too low to me right now. Got folks on multi hundred streaks of missions/activities who have never seen one. How long is it meant to take to start filling out the roster, longer than a year?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Space Skeleton posted:

Droprate seems way way way too low to me right now. Got folks on multi hundred streaks of missions/activities who have never seen one. How long is it meant to take to start filling out the roster, longer than a year?

Spend aurum? That's the answer for everything else

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Len posted:

Spend aurum? That's the answer for everything else

This is probably the intention, yeah. :smith:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The Nursery is pretty awesome. :stare:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Nursery is pretty awesome. :stare:

To be experiencing the mission flow for the first time with Tokyo already finished. I bet it's a great experience.

Us old timers got issue 7 (Silent Lullaby) then nothing for many months and then issue 8 (Scenarios) and then a short event stretched out to a ridiculous length because Tokyo kept getting delayed. And then a stripped down barebones issue 9 where you couldn't even do the whole thing right away because you needed to do the tower defense mission 6 times in order to get a full aegis set.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Len posted:

To be experiencing the mission flow for the first time with Tokyo already finished. I bet it's a great experience.

Us old timers got issue 7 (Silent Lullaby) then nothing for many months and then issue 8 (Scenarios) and then a short event stretched out to a ridiculous length because Tokyo kept getting delayed. And then a stripped down barebones issue 9 where you couldn't even do the whole thing right away because you needed to do the tower defense mission 6 times in order to get a full aegis set.

Yeah, it's been great fun. Even that stupid ghoul I posted about was easily solved with a little lateral thinking (by which I mean "didn't I have a blue cleanse-widget?").

snowmobile chase scene :toot:

soon as I clicked the sidequest next to it and read the mission text I went "oh heck yes"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, it's been great fun. Even that stupid ghoul I posted about was easily solved with a little lateral thinking (by which I mean "didn't I have a blue cleanse-widget?").

snowmobile chase scene :toot:

soon as I clicked the sidequest next to it and read the mission text I went "oh heck yes"

The Nursery and associated quests are my single favorite things in the game

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

theflyingorc posted:

Huh?

I don't comprehend how this is at all a problem.

You already have a system for this: the caches being more likely to open up into something valuable if you keep getting screwed. Make regional agent keyless caches that always drop with minor art variations. They drop a minuscule amount of shards as the extremely common reward, yadda yadda yadda. Give frighteningly low initial percentages for the good stuff that resets on dossier acquisition.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 20, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

theflyingorc posted:

The Nursery and associated quests are my single favorite things in the game

I still have Sleepless Lullaby on a Spotify playlist. As much as I rail on you guys for mission design the writing is crazy on point. Fingers crossed the new zone is good and not phoned in writing with wave defense after wave defense mission.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I do the daily challenges every day since the agent system dropped, then a few more on the weekends. I've got a total 3 agent dossiers through main missions. So that's about a 1/60 chance on average assuming it's equal and not weighted in anyway for rarity/zones.

It would have been nice if we were given 5 green Faction Recruits (with no passive bonuses) off the bat. It was only after I got my 5th agent did I start feeling like I could decide which agents went on which missions. Before that it was just throw whoever at whatever mission because they were the only one available.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Tallgeese posted:

Huh?

I don't comprehend how this is at all a problem.

You already have a system for this: the caches being more likely to open up into something valuable if you keep getting screwed. Make regional agent keyless caches that always drop with minor art variations. They drop a minuscule amount of shards as the extremely common reward, yadda yadda yadda. Give frighteningly low initial percentages for the good stuff that resets on dossier acquisition.

The cache code is weirdly specialized (I wrote it, quickly, with the understanding that it was single-purpose at the time), but otherwise yeah

I'm pushing for something like the above, but there's several options in the air right now and we'll see where we land.

It's not that it's a problem, it's that making the new content killed the design and art teams for a few months (much like how it's murdering QA right now) and we're finally getting breathing room to just work on problems instead of a mad dash to get stuff out the door

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 20, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I'd say "short event stretched out to a ridiculous length" doesn't describe how loving dire that period was. Scenarios made me hate the game enough on its own, but the endless filth and golem event stretch was icing on the cake.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

TracerM17 posted:

I do the daily challenges every day since the agent system dropped, then a few more on the weekends. I've got a total 3 agent dossiers through main missions. So that's about a 1/60 chance on average assuming it's equal and not weighted in anyway for rarity/zones.

It would have been nice if we were given 5 green Faction Recruits (with no passive bonuses) off the bat. It was only after I got my 5th agent did I start feeling like I could decide which agents went on which missions. Before that it was just throw whoever at whatever mission because they were the only one available.

Even just starting with 2 or 3 would be a big help in making it not feel like a slog. The upcoming extra agent should be nice for those having terrible luck. Once I got to 3 agents, which is where I am still at, things felt a lot better.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
New agent is being patched in as we speak. :v:

patch notes posted:

GENERAL
* The Topbar Shop has been redesigned to allow for more items and easier navigation.
* A news page has been added to the Daily Login Rewards UI. It is possible to switch between the news display and the login rewards using the arrows in the upper right corner of the UI.
* Made some adjustments to improve stability of servers.

AGENT NETWORK
* Agent Network has been added to the topbar menu.
* Clicking the spot where the Agent Network notifications appear on the topbar will no longer open the Agent Network UI if there is no notification visible.
* Agent passives are now saved in the Build Manager.
* Agent missions with faction specific text will now only appear for players of the appropriate faction.
* Added a new Agent Network achievement: Greenhorn, for completing the first non-tutorial agent mission. This achievement awards an Agent Dossier, and will be awarded to players already playing the Agent Network on your next completed mission.
* Increased the size of close buttons in the Agent Network UI.
* Added a button to the active missions panel in the Agent Network UI to allow players to view currently available missions, even if all mission slots are currently occupied.
* Added a display to available mission slots in the Agent Network UI for the total mission duration.
* The reward displayed in the agent mission overview has been adjusted in some cases to highlight the most desirable reward the mission offers.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

theflyingorc posted:

The cache code is weirdly specialized (I wrote it, quickly, with the understanding that it was single-purpose at the time), but otherwise yeah

I'm pushing for something like the above, but there's several options in the air right now and we'll see where we land.

It's not that it's a problem, it's that making the new content killed the design and art teams for a few months (much like how it's murdering QA right now) and we're finally getting breathing room to just work on problems instead of a mad dash to get stuff out the door

Since you don't hear it often around here, thanks for what you're doing. It's appreciated.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just reinstalled Legends after loving around during its rebranding. Do they still have little faction specific side stories for promotion and all? If so who has the most entertaining one? I literally have 3 characters at level 10, one from each faction, need to decide who I wanna actually play through on.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

They have faction specific story in between transition to next zone. I only played dragon and one of their stories is OK (horror) and other bad (stealth). They say Templar have a very good quest but I never played it personally.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Virgula Divina?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yes, that's what I heard unless they removed it in SWL.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Anyone know if accounts that transitioned from TSW to SWL keep all the weapons unlocked if they make a new character? Probably going to do Orochi Tower over spring break on my only character, might start a new one in another faction.

Sekenr posted:

Faction-specific missions are some of the remaining unimplemented things from TSW. At the moment, flavor and handler interactions (both mission text and cutscenes) are the only reasons to pick one faction over the others.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sekenr posted:

Nah, it's still in. It's faction specific but it's a story mission.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Hello Sailor posted:

Anyone know if accounts that transitioned from TSW to SWL keep all the weapons unlocked if they make a new character?
All three of my characters have all weapons unlocked.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
The bigger deal with weapon unlocking is that once you're deep into purple weapons, the amount of time/energy to switch to a new weapon you haven't been leveling up is...substantial.

We've got a few ideas for making you more able to fluidly shift power around that hopefully get done not too long after South Africa's release.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

theflyingorc posted:

The bigger deal with weapon unlocking is that once you're deep into purple weapons, the amount of time/energy to switch to a new weapon you haven't been leveling up is...substantial.

We've got a few ideas for making you more able to fluidly shift power around that hopefully get done not too long after South Africa's release.
Really looking forward to this tbh, if only because I might one day want to use good weapons instead of the dreck I'm currently waving around. :v:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It's weird that the daily login distils don't scale like the cache distils.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

As I'm sure you all know, the parking garage Tokyo mission is both pleasantly creepy and mechanically a little infuriating.

especially if you're too dumb to figure out the gimmick until you die like seven times

It's also what finally got me to turn off doubletap dodging. :v:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

You can basically just sprint past them on at least 2 levels.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

This is a huge deal for me and kinda why I stopped playing, so I hope you guys can come up with something. I really like the anima allocation system, so I'm hopeful. Thanks for coming in and chatting to us about stuff even though you don't have to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Almost done with climbing Orochi Tower, and therefore presumably will finish current story content just in time for SAfrica. :toot:

I'll have to review what exactly was in which company, but my lorewise favorite Bad Idea Floor of Bad Idea Tower so far was the horticulturists who appear to have gotten slightly ambitious about crop durability.

well, that and the Bee Experiment, which I'm sure isn't ominous at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Almost done with climbing Orochi Tower, and therefore presumably will finish current story content just in time for SAfrica. :toot:

I'll have to review what exactly was in which company, but my lorewise favorite Bad Idea Floor of Bad Idea Tower so far was the horticulturists who appear to have gotten slightly ambitious about crop durability.

well, that and the Bee Experiment, which I'm sure isn't ominous at all

My favorite parts of Orochi Tower were the ridiculous Zagan memos and the intact Faust floor.