Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Given what you've said you like, probably Kino's Journey. You are correct about which one to watch.

However, I'm a very big fan of The Devil is a Part Timer. That season, it was the biggest surprise, because it had all the flags it should have been loving awful (LN adaptation, "X" in the real world trope, etc.), but it was actually probably one of the best shows of 2013.

It's well directed, has great comedy timing, fun characters and except for perhaps one episode, no real fan service or filler. Give it a go, perhaps.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey would you guys mind helping me narrow down a rapidly ballooning watch list now that I'm about to finish all three animes I'm currently watching?

For context, here's what I've liked most according to my MAL ratings:

- Monster
- Devilman Crybaby
- Flip Flappers
- Girls' Last Tour
- A Place Further than the Universe

And here's what I've liked least:

- Haruhi Suzumiya
- Mawaru Penguindrum (dropped about 2/3 of the way in)
- Shin Sekai Yori (dropped about 1/3 of the way in)
- Fate/Apocrypha (dropped about halfway in)
- Violet Evergarden (dropped after a 3-episode test)

With that in mind, please recommend something off this list. My work schedule is pretty brutal, so watching any of these is likely gonna be a several-week commitment, even if I end up really adoring them:

- The Devil is a Part-Timer
- Kino's Journey (I'm led to believe that the 2003 one, not the recent one, is the correct one to watch?)
- Konosuba
- Little Witch Academia
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- Recovery of an MMO Junkie
- Space Patrol Luluco

Thanks so much in advance, guys
Luluco's a series of shorts, so it might be worth checking that out just because it's easy to blitz. Besides that, Kino's Journey 2003 might be up your alley, since with one exception all of the episodes are self-contained.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Kokoro Wish posted:

However, I'm a very big fan of The Devil is a Part Timer. That season, it was the biggest surprise, because it had all the flags it should have been loving awful (LN adaptation, "X" in the real world trope, etc.), but it was actually probably one of the best shows of 2016.

2013, no? Or is there another version / sequel season that I should also be checking out?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
poo poo, sorry I meant 2013, yes. God was it really that long ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

I hear good things about Dragon Maid, too. But, I've never seen it.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is a really funny and sweet show about the lesbian relationship between a programmer who works a 9-5 job and her dragon maid :allears:. There's a couple of dud jokes run into the ground with one or two secondary characters, but the core show is really good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Angel posted:

With that in mind, please recommend something off this list. My work schedule is pretty brutal, so watching any of these is likely gonna be a several-week commitment, even if I end up really adoring them:

- Kino's Journey (I'm led to believe that the 2003 one, not the recent one, is the correct one to watch?)
- Konosuba
- Little Witch Academia
- Space Patrol Luluco

• The Devil is a Part-Timer! is basically "Dude used to live the high life! Now he works a lovely service industry job". If you ever had one of those, it's easy to relate.
  • Konosuba is a 2-season, 20 episode (+ 2 ovas, 1 for each season) romp of assholes, idiots and the hilarious adventures they all have while being idiots and assholes to each other. It's one of my favorite comedies of the last decade and highly entertaining. Recommended!
  • Little Witch Academia is the one show I cannot be objective because, while I'm aware that it has its share of faults, it's also hasn't stopped being my favorite show from 2017. If you like a fairly "standard structure" yet incredibly fun coming-of-age story, this one is for you.
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid was ok. I honestly don't remember much off it, but I remember enjoying it nonetheless.
  • Recovery of an MMO Junkie is a really sweet story that deals with fairly realistic issues. 10 Episodes and an OVA.
  • Space Patrol Luluco If you have to watch something. Watch this. It's a 90 minute (it's 7 minutes per episodes)blast of entertainment!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Kino's Journey is by far the highest quality thing on that list and Luluco is like the most perfectly distilled essence of Studio Trigger and everyone should watch it unless you absolutely hate stuff like Dead Leaves / Panty & Stocking / Kill La Kill

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chinook posted:

I'm looking for something with some jerky bandits doing horrible things and then getting their asses kicked for it. Kenshin, Hokuto no Ken, Berserk, these things all have that kind of stuff to varying degrees.

I don't necessarily want to see them getting destroyed by overpowered badasses, either. I am just looking to see abusive over-confident crimelords/bandits get what's coming to them.

Any era, realistic or otherwise, is cool with me.

Riki-oh is 17 volumes of nothing but this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey would you guys mind helping me narrow down a rapidly ballooning watch list now that I'm about to finish all three animes I'm currently watching?

For context, here's what I've liked most according to my MAL ratings:

- Monster
- Devilman Crybaby
- Flip Flappers
- Girls' Last Tour
- A Place Further than the Universe

And here's what I've liked least:

- Haruhi Suzumiya
- Mawaru Penguindrum (dropped about 2/3 of the way in)
- Shin Sekai Yori (dropped about 1/3 of the way in)
- Fate/Apocrypha (dropped about halfway in)
- Violet Evergarden (dropped after a 3-episode test)

- Konosuba
- Little Witch Academia
- Space Patrol Luluco

from what I know of your tastes, definitely go with Kino's Journey and Luluco. with Kino's, watch the 2003 series first and then the new one if you like it and want more; the new one isn't bad, it's just... less essential.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RabidWeasel posted:

Luluco is like the most perfectly distilled essence of Studio Trigger and everyone should watch it unless you absolutely hate stuff like Dead Leaves / Panty & Stocking / Kill La Kill

...it's really not at all like those last three things.

Anyways from that list i can wholeheartedly reccomend the 2003 kino's Journey to Jenny Angel, and I'd say Konosuba is definitely worth trying out, it's a fantastic comedy with a lot of heart.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Julias posted:

...it's really not at all like those last three things.

OK fine it's inferno cop with better production values, happy?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no

it's a little romcom with some episodes that reference trigger properties in the middle

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ok I'm gonna go with Luluco and Kino's Journey for now. Thanks everyone!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
luluco is only similar as far as it has a similar energy to imaishi's other work, it's otherwise way toned down from his usual sense of humor and very stylistically different from a lot of things other creators at trigger have made

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I didn't really like Luluco, fwiw, and I loved KLK and at least liked P&S.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Devil is a part timer has no business being as good as it is. Definitely check it out.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Chinook posted:

I'm looking for something with some jerky bandits doing horrible things and then getting their asses kicked for it. Kenshin, Hokuto no Ken, Berserk, these things all have that kind of stuff to varying degrees.

I don't necessarily want to see them getting destroyed by overpowered badasses, either. I am just looking to see abusive over-confident crimelords/bandits get what's coming to them.

Any era, realistic or otherwise, is cool with me.

I think this describes every single arc in One Piece to be honest. Just in case you wanted a series that would take years to catch up on...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheEye posted:

I think this describes every single arc in One Piece to be honest. Just in case you wanted a series that would take years to catch up on...
It'll take him three weeks. Two if he can get his pee and poop tubes working. You'll see.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Devil is a Part-Timer is terrible. I'm kind of baffled by the praise for it. It immediately betrays its premise and somehow makes Satan as boring and generic as a harem lead. He never actually acts like a devil, he instantly becomes a super serious hard worker. When the whole show is about how funny it would be for the devil to work at McDonalds, that just kills the entire thing. And since thats also just about the only joke in the whole thing, its also not funny at all.

Everything else on that list is fantastic though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thread, revive thyself!

I'm looking for vampire anime. What's the best vampire stuff around?

I know about: Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shiki is really great, though it's a lot different than those two. Less action by a lot, but really good in a lot of other ways.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, revive thyself!

I know about : Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D.

Blood+ is good but flawed? It has a fairly good mystery arc and its vampires have fairly interesting powers and drawbacks. The plot is almost really good but there's too much filler and sometimes the sad bits veer into melodrama.
Netflix's Castlevania is good but only four episodes long right now and outside of one specific fight the animation is shithouse. (Before you say "but that's not an anime", I told my wife about it thinking it was a live-action series and then when we watched the first episode and discovered it was animated she said "wait, this is an anime!". So there.)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has a vampire as the main antagonist for two different arcs, but beyond that it's not really a vampire anime.
Gankutsuou isn't about vampires and nobody actually drinks any blood. The titular character does act and look like Dracula though?

yeah okay most of those are fairly tenuously related.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, revive thyself!

if you like nosebleed gags then boy do i have a vampire anime for you

its karin. karin is the anime i have for you. (tbh its an okay mid-2000s romcom though the grandma is the absolute best character in it by a mile and i wish it was just about her)

but yeah, there's a lot of okay genre stuff that uses vampires for flavor, like owari no seraph is a actionish thing with cute/hot guys that happens to have vampire antagonists.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, revive thyself!

Have you seen both Hellsing series, or only the original?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Shortest Path posted:

Shiki is really great, though it's a lot different than those two. Less action by a lot, but really good in a lot of other ways.

I got like four episodes into it last time I tried and the hairdos actually put me off. I'll give it another go!

a computing pun posted:

Blood+ is good but flawed? It has a fairly good mystery arc and its vampires have fairly interesting powers and drawbacks. The plot is almost really good but there's too much filler and sometimes the sad bits veer into melodrama.
Netflix's Castlevania is good but only four episodes long right now and outside of one specific fight the animation is shithouse. (Before you say "but that's not an anime", I told my wife about it thinking it was a live-action series and then when we watched the first episode and discovered it was animated she said "wait, this is an anime!". So there.)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has a vampire as the main antagonist for two different arcs, but beyond that it's not really a vampire anime.
Gankutsuou isn't about vampires and nobody actually drinks any blood. The titular character does act and look like Dracula though?

yeah okay most of those are fairly tenuously related.

I haven't seen Blood+! I've either seen or tried the other ones - need to finish Castlevania, it's good, JoJo is delightful except I didn't like part 3, and Gankutsuou is just a classic.

Thank you!!

Endorph posted:

if you like nosebleed gags then boy do i have a vampire anime for you

its karin. karin is the anime i have for you. (tbh its an okay mid-2000s romcom though the grandma is the absolute best character in it by a mile and i wish it was just about her)

but yeah, there's a lot of okay genre stuff that uses vampires for flavor, like owari no seraph is a actionish thing with cute/hot guys that happens to have vampire antagonists.

I have never even heard of Karin, I'll look it up. Owari no Seraph meanwhile was fun - not great, but perfectly fun stuff that I blasted through back when I was finishing up the first season of Tokyo Ghoul and wanted more spooky-but-not-actually-horror stuff.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you seen both Hellsing series, or only the original?

It's been long enough that I need to rewatch both - and yes, I've seen Drifters too. A+ anime there.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, revive thyself!

The Monogatari series is about a vampire, although tangentially at points. It is also amazing.

I’ll second Owari no Seraph, which is a fun shounen show.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
While I never finished Karin, it's an interesting concept for a series with some neat ideas, trapped within some of the most cliche school romance tropes from the early to mid 2000s. While it wouldn't be my first pick as a reccomendation, it's still enjoyable in its own right and at least worth checking out a couple of eps if the premise sounds interesting.

I'm also a sucker for the OP.
https://youtu.be/fCLtFJEh3Kk

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also, there's two Vampire Hunter D movies, the second one, Bloodlust is amazing, and I can highly recommend it to anybody.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I can also wholeheartedly reccomend the Kizumonogatari Trilogy for some really awesome and creative (and at times downright hilarious) fight scenes, with some surprisingly introspective discussion, and gorgeous visuals and directing.

Julias fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 31, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I once saw an episode of the Blade anime by mistake. Although it was not good, I now feel that anime is the perfect medium for Blade to exist in.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gankutsuou is great and Jouji Nakata plays such a wonderfully twisted Edmond Dantes, you oughta watch it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
um, clearly the best japanese vampire media is the manga for My Monster Secret. Obviously.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dumb and Cute can only take you so far when it comes to vampirism.

Fortunately, it goes the distance just fine. :3:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

um, clearly the best japanese vampire media is the manga for My Monster Secret. Obviously.

Just don't watch the anime adaptation, that is all.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Rosario + Vampire

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

seraph of the end is a show that constantly had me wishing it was better while i watched it.

it's still worth taking a look at though.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I need a show to marathon that hits the ground running because right now my mind's too wrapped up in Other Stuff to put up with a slow start even if it goes somewhere great. For an example of a slow start, it doesn't matter how interesting Steins;Gate becomes and how necessary the setup is, I need something more wham-bam than that. I'm thinking some combination of 80s-style, action, suspense, mystery, heist, or possibly horror will do the trick. Comedies are fine but it takes a really special one to make me want to marathon it and I've already run through Pop Team Epic. It doesn't have to be raw adrenaline; I just need something that hits the ground running and keeps moving forward with something like an overarching plot, repeatable action setups (like disconnected heists), or characters that are worth investing in. Here's a list of ideas I have off the top of my head that I've either never seen or spent very little time with:

1. Black Lagoon
2. Psycho Pass
3. City Hunter
4. I know there's a new Lupin but I think it's only a couple episodes in
5. Cat's Eye
6. Baccano

That list isn't exclusive but I also want to keep us from having a "Have you seen X?" "Yes." "What about Y?" "Also yes." conversation because my anime knowledge is super scattershot.

I'm not really in the mood for shounen/battle anime because I'm a snob when it comes to them and I demand a lot from the characters and the worldbuilding in my fightman shows. Odds are if it came out in the past 30 years I have an opinion about it already.

Oh and just to muddy the waters further maybe my favorite anime of the past ten years is Cross Game, which actually would pass the must-be-compelling-from-the-word-go stipulation that I currently need due to how the first episode ends. Even though it's slice of life it immediately made me feel heavily invested in what happened to the characters. I hope that makes sense.

Adlai Stevenson fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 20, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Black Lagoon starts really fast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I need a show to marathon that hits the ground running because right now my mind's too wrapped up in Other Stuff to put up with a slow start even if it goes somewhere great. For an example of a slow start, it doesn't matter how interesting Steins;Gate becomes and how necessary the setup is, I need something more wham-bam than that. I'm thinking some combination of 80s-style, action, suspense, mystery, heist, or possibly horror will do the trick. Comedies are fine but it takes a really special one to make me want to marathon it and I've already run through Pop Team Epic. It doesn't have to be raw adrenaline; I just need something that hits the ground running and keeps moving forward with something like an overarching plot, repeatable action setups (like disconnected heists), or characters that are worth investing in. Here's a list of ideas I have off the top of my head that I've either never seen or spent very little time with:

1. Black Lagoon
2. Psycho Pass
3. City Hunter
4. I know there's a new Lupin but I think it's only a couple episodes in
5. Cat's Eye
6. Baccano

That list isn't exclusive but I also want to keep us from having a "Have you seen X?" "Yes." "What about Y?" "Also yes." conversation because my anime knowledge is super scattershot.

I'm not really in the mood for shounen/battle anime because I'm a snob when it comes to them and I demand a lot from the characters and the worldbuilding in my fightman shows. Odds are if it came out in the past 30 years I have an opinion about it already.

Oh and just to muddy the waters further maybe my favorite anime of the past ten years is Cross Game, which actually would pass the must-be-compelling-from-the-word-go stipulation that I currently need due to how the first episode ends. Even though it's slice of life it immediately made me feel heavily invested in what happened to the characters. I hope that makes sense.

What you need is 26 episodes of Nichijou. That will take your mind of bad stuff good and proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Baccano arguably starts way too fast. The first episode is the chronological endpoint of most of the plotlines, and jumps between different time frames with extreme frequency (the show itself is actually like 3 plotlines that are each chronologically a year apart, being shown concurrently. Also, multiple key members of the cast appear in all 3 plotlines, in case you were wondering if this would get confusing at all)

It's a really confusing information overload coming at a time when you have the least ability to process any of it, due to not knowing any of the characters.

But it's also really, really, really good.

Personally I got like 3 episodes in, then re-watched the first episode like twice more to figure out what was going on in it. This isn't necessary though

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 20, 2018