Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I couldn't get into MP3. The combat felt nice but that 's all it had to offer. The designers saw Man on Fire and thought it was the greatest film ever (it is to be fair) but just...completely aped the style from it without understanding why Tony Scott did it. The cutscenes were overlong, overwritten, and it was nearly impossible to get into any kind of flow and you can forget replaying because the cutscenes are unskippable to mask load times. It's just kind of a miserable experience to be quite honest. Nothing pisses me off more than a game with a story that thinks it's waaaay better than it actually is.

So...any Rockstar game but this one especially.

Great music though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH_LSL4rVw

I learned from that linked video that the "Tears" in the Airport level is pitched down slightly. I always thought the OST version sounded a little off but I never cared to put my finger on it because the tune still owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ok, 2012 isn't exactly early but you can't argue with free

https://twitter.com/humble/status/978315789630656512

I played this a while back and was entertained through it's short runtime, the demon powers are fun for physics-dicking around.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Darkness 2 is fun as gently caress.

Also, if you're playing Max Payne 3 on modern hardware, you can do some really cool poo poo with ReShade to make the game into even more of a neon nightmare.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Can confirm that Darkness 2 owns and on top of the main story the added co-op levels are a good time too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also turn down your speaker volume before starting Darkness 2 unless you want your dog to go mental and/or eardrums to bleed

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79uF_EYDnI

Here's a video on Max Payne 3 that just came out by Raycevick.

When he mentions that MP3 cost 100 million to make, does the game industry work like the movie industry where the additional cost of a advertising and distribution can almost equal the actual development?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I feel like I should go back and play Stranglehold again someday because I enjoyed that game even though it was a little hit and miss at parts. I did like some of the bizarre special moves, including doing the barrage one while holding a shotgun, which causes Tequila to shake his head disdainfully while loading more shells into the gun and then proceeding to become a bullet hose murdering everything and everyone that had the gall to exist in his line of sight. During the shantytown level you're pretty much capable of just tunneling through the walls with it because of how much destructible terrain is there. Nothing survives.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vakal posted:

When he mentions that MP3 cost 100 million to make, does the game industry work like the movie industry where the additional cost of a advertising and distribution can almost equal the actual development?
Big blockbuster games tend to be like this, yeah. Rockstar don't really release numbers, though - everything I've found is all "potentially" and "analysts believe". Almost certainly not cheap though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

I've decided to start playing DUMP3 but I'm having trouble with the weapon pack. First time I played it, picking up weapons just made them disappear instead of getting added to my inventory, even the ones that spawn on the map. I tested without the pack, vanilla guns worked, added the pack back in, set it to the top of my load order and walked into the first level, and praise be, I was able to collect and use a bunch of new guns. But then I beat the map, walked through another portal and met with the same problem I had at the start. Is there a fix? :(

Bump.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

The Kins posted:

Big blockbuster games tend to be like this, yeah. Rockstar don't really release numbers, though - everything I've found is all "potentially" and "analysts believe". Almost certainly not cheap though.

I remember when everyone was making a big deal about Destiny costing $500 million to create they meant all three main games and advertising over 10 years. The problem was people don’t read things and took it as Destiny 1 cost 500 million and the “omg what did they do with the money!?!” Panic attacks.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I tried playing Stranglehold again in 2016 and while 9 years haven't been kind to the game (I loved it in 2007) what made me give up on it 4 levels in was the controller sensitivity on the 360: it was hosed and none of the settings felt right. I was puzzled at how I managed to get all achievements for it back in the day.
I tried playing it on PC and it was much better but abruptly had to stop because I couldn't find any cracks for the 1.1 patch and I was too lazy to put the disc in each time I wanted to play. Maybe I'll stop being a lazy piece of poo poo and convert it to an iso one day.

Even after nearly 11 years I still love the chill as gently caress music (0:20 to 0:40) that plays sometimes when you use the barrage power-up.

Glagha posted:

I feel like I should go back and play Stranglehold again someday because I enjoyed that game even though it was a little hit and miss at parts. I did like some of the bizarre special moves, including doing the barrage one while holding a shotgun, which causes Tequila to shake his head disdainfully while loading more shells into the gun and then proceeding to become a bullet hose murdering everything and everyone that had the gall to exist in his line of sight. During the shantytown level you're pretty much capable of just tunneling through the walls with it because of how much destructible terrain is there. Nothing survives.

Even after so long I vividly remember this and I'm glad someone else does too.

Wamdoodle posted:

I learned from that linked video that the "Tears" in the Airport level is pitched down slightly. I always thought the OST version sounded a little off but I never cared to put my finger on it because the tune still owns bones.

I uploaded the Airport version right off the game files some years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3-0qh6qHfU

GUI fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 26, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Mordja posted:

:allbuttons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25CBfOUAUQ
High point being that the mod features Dontrel and Klurfs as enemies. :wtc:

This is insanely weird but that level design looks fun as heck so I might have to try it out just on that virtue. Plus, I've never seen a doom mod so fully embrace the manic character design of 90s doom wads so well before. :v:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The "fix" is to play DUMP 3 in an older version of ZDoom, I'm afraid. From what I understand, the whole package has been breaking down with newer GZDoom updates, for whatever reason.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I remember when everyone was making a big deal about Destiny costing $500 million to create they meant all three main games and advertising over 10 years. The problem was people don’t read things and took it as Destiny 1 cost 500 million and the “omg what did they do with the money!?!” Panic attacks.

Even across three games that's a horrific amount. Only Destiny in its third year has anything resembling any depth that is an indication of a sizeable budget. Destiny 2's significant focus on in-game transactions despite already costing $50 makes a lot of sense if these rumoured figures are accurate.
If the contract is indeed real, I wonder if Activision feels they made a mistake or if they are actually seeing a return.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You've got stuff like GTA V costing ~$270 million to initially make and market, but then Rockstar made straight up a billion dollars on it within the first 72 hours from release. And by now they've sold over 90 million copies of the game, which god only knows how much money just the raw sales made for them. That would still be mostly costs from development and licensing the music content etc though.

You could probably rack up a lot more money for ongoing marketing costs, the ports to PC/PS4/Xbone, the additional music they keep putting in and all the online stuff, but it's not going to compare to how much money they keep getting out of it really. Again: over 90 million copies, the only things that have sold more is all the officially licensed Tetris releases and Minecraft, it's wild.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I couldn't get into MP3. The combat felt nice but that 's all it had to offer. The designers saw Man on Fire and thought it was the greatest film ever (it is to be fair) but just...completely aped the style from it without understanding why Tony Scott did it. The cutscenes were overlong, overwritten, and it was nearly impossible to get into any kind of flow and you can forget replaying because the cutscenes are unskippable to mask load times. It's just kind of a miserable experience to be quite honest. Nothing pisses me off more than a game with a story that thinks it's waaaay better than it actually is.

So...any Rockstar game but this one especially.

Great music though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH_LSL4rVw

Honestly, if the cutscenes flowed, it would feel like you're playing an action movie. But holy poo poo the constant screen effects give me a literal headache and destroy any enjoyment I would have gotten out of them.

I don't know, maybe we were just spoiled by Remedy knocking it out of the park twice in a row with two games with incredible, uncopyable tone.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NuclearPotato posted:

The "fix" is to play DUMP 3 in an older version of ZDoom, I'm afraid. From what I understand, the whole package has been breaking down with newer GZDoom updates, for whatever reason.

Ah drat, that explains it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I also loved The Darkness 2, highly recommend taking advantage of the HB offer.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've always said Max Payne 3 is a bad Max Payne game, but would make a loving amazing Die Hard game.

It’s my in-head canon last Die Hard Movie, after With A Vengeance. The other two movies don’t exist. It even canonically explains the transition from balding McClane to bald McClane.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I would love a remake of Max Payne 1 done in the MP3 engine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I asked one of the people involved on a Discord:

quote:

I just checked and I'm able to pick them up like normal, so that's pretty worrying. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Without a lot more knowledge, I would assume the problem is that the items (being all CustomInventory pickups) are instantly jumping to the Stop; command without even passing the Pickup state, but the question is what would be causing that.

For what it's worth, DUMP 3 is perfectly playable without the weapons. If the weaponpack doesn't work, I'd encourage them to go through with a mod they really like instead.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Gloomy Rube posted:

This is insanely weird but that level design looks fun as heck so I might have to try it out just on that virtue. Plus, I've never seen a doom mod so fully embrace the manic character design of 90s doom wads so well before. :v:

I kind of want a maps-and-enemies only version of this mod so I can play through it with gameplay mods. I actually didn't realize this until I played it, but I really prefer Duke3D-style "this vaguely looks like a real place"-style maps over the classic "abstract techbase, hellzone, and 'city'"-style maps that are in most Doom mods.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thief 1-4 are absurdly cheap on Steam at the moment. 69p for Thief 2 is the deal of the loving century!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Found out how to find the error log, gonna look at it when I get home. Instead of getting Dump3 to work, I played through Rise of the Woolball, which was a delight.

Anyway, apropos of nothing I just realized that this year will mark Doom's 25th anniversary, so I'm guessing id will do a thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

Thief 1-4 are absurdly cheap on Steam at the moment. 69p for Thief 2 is the deal of the loving century!

I have never played a Thief. Which one is the best Thief?

Also, would you say these prices are... a steal? :smug:

EDIT: gently caress it, bought Thief 2, not looking back.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 27, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You chose the best one.

Though I suggest looking up a plot synopsis of Thief 1, or watching the cutscenes or something on Youtube, before you play 2.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Can confirm The Darkness 2 is pretty dope! Really fun combat. The stupid cockney imp thing that follows you around comes from the Clap-Trap school of funny video game writing so be warned. Also hearing Brian Bloom do that New York accent is a total hoot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have never played a Thief. Which one is the best Thief?

Also, would you say these prices are... a steal? :smug:

Good choice! I'd pick up Thief Gold as well as there are still some good missions, and it's also incredibly atmospheric. 2 is definitely the better game, though.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Buy and play all 3 thief games. Dark Project has an utterly fantastic story and the core game-play is as good as Metal Age in my opinion. Deadly Shadows is hamstrung by it's engine but it's a solid conclusion to the Thief series.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Which Thief had the angry guards threatening to broil the rival guard's Lord's knickers?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Shoehead posted:

Which Thief had the angry guards threatening to broil the rival guard's Lord's knickers?

Metal Age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8gMHDkH48

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Anybody know any good Duke3D-style city maps for Doom 2?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone else who snagged Darkness II been having some severe problems with scripting?

In the diner scene, there was this odd warp from sitting down to the end of the dancing sequence, then I found myself unable to turn when I regained control (being unable to go through the door into the kitchen area). It resolved after a couple of tries and poking at validating files, but now I'm in the second iteration of the asylum and the nurse just will not move out of the doorway, meaning I can't walk to the next objective.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Simon The Digger posted:

TVR!.wad has quite a few urban-esque levels, as does Hellbound.
Warning: Hellbound is super long and every level is kind of a slog.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Simon The Digger posted:

I might get push back on this, but the Trump Doom mod is almost nothing but great urban city levels (most textures are taken from Duke) that are solidly designed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8QSJ1shO8

The political commentary is pretty light too and pokes fun at every side of the political debate - I actually work in liberal politics and there are jokes in here that are HYSTERICAL.

On a lesser note, Batman Doom is also a friggin' blast and sets a good amount of them in urban environments.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
is the final boss trump because that might get me to play it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Checked the log and I'm getting this error: "Attempt to get invalid state DED from actor DUMP3HexReflectSound" if that helps at all.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ETPC posted:

is the final boss trump because that might get me to play it

You play as Trump, so no

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

If y'all like the MP3 music then you should listen to more from the band that did it, HEALTH. They are very good! And super fun live.

I recall there being an Equilibrium-inspired gun kata mod for MP2 that was notable for its hilarious animations. Great fun in wave mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wamdoodle posted:

You play as Trump, so no

So it's really more like reverse Wolfenstein?