Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Minor thing: I've no idea whether it was intentional or not, but I'm watching Second Chances (the Thomas Riker TNG episode), and I noticed that Tom doesn't mount chairs the same way Will does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The big difference between Berman and Braga is that, while Braga, in all the stories about him, cones across as kind of a hack who was in overy his head, unlike Berman, he never comes across as actively malicious and is willing to admit that he made bad choices. You don't get that sort of stuff out of Berman.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Epicurius posted:

The big difference between Berman and Braga is that, while Braga, in all the stories about him, cones across as kind of a hack who was in overy his head, unlike Berman, he never comes across as actively malicious and is willing to admit that he made bad choices. You don't get that sort of stuff out of Berman.

Yeah if all their quotes and poo poo in 50 years could be summed up it would be something like
(consensus of litterally everyone involved): X was really bad and a mistake and everyone hated it, everyone tried to tell Berman it was awful.
Braga: X... you have to understand at the time we were under a lot of pressure from the studio. That's not an excuse, I think it was a misstep for sure and I need to take a lot of the blame for it but I'd like to think we learned from it. We didn't, we did it again in Voyager, we did it again in Ent, but we tried...
Berman: X? X was great, X was my idea and I fought for it because someone has to make the calls to protect Gene's Vision. I've heard some people apparently didn't like X but most people supported it and the fans love it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think it's kind of funny that Braga's the one still involved with stuff like Cosmos and The Orville. Not like ha-ha funny but, I guess he felt he got his mojo back for this poo poo at some point in the years since ENT ended?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tighclops posted:

I think it's kind of funny that Braga's the one still involved with stuff like Cosmos and The Orville. Not like ha-ha funny but, I guess he felt he got his mojo back for this poo poo at some point in the years since ENT ended?

Orville is delightful so good for him. He's got a long way to go to atone for his sins though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Do the Borg show up in DS9?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HIJK posted:

Only in the pilot as Sisko's backstory

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They briefly have a Borg crewmember to manage the transwarp drive, but that gets forgotten pretty quick.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They briefly have a Borg crewmember to manage the transwarp drive, but that gets forgotten pretty quick.

See, we aren't in the darkest timeline after all guys!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

And there was Brannon Braga, and you just know he made Jeri Ryan wear the catsuit when they were dating.

Like, at home? At first glance I'd suspect so too, but from everything I've heard it was a pain in the rear end just to put the drat thing on (i.e. he might well have had to help her get into it), and I can only imagine it'd put a damper to have to stop to pry her out of it at some point. And, even with Jeri Ryan, half of what you saw on the catsuit was molding to prevent her boobs from being smushed flat; fondling her would be only slightly more erotic than groping a suit of armor.

I mean, I could see him being a grody enough twerp to ask her to wear it while they were out on a date or something, but after her previous relationship I'd sincerely hope she'd tell him to gently caress off with that kind of request.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

womb with a view posted:

Okay, I've finally reached a point where I have space for a proper 90s science fiction television show in my life. I'm going to start watching DS9. Please give me tips on how to maximise my enjoyment of this.
Assuming you have some broad familiarity with TNG - not like every episode but like you'd recognize most of the characters and had been exposed to the setting - all of DS9 is enjoyable and is, at its worst, a diversion. There are a couple of stinker episodes but the only one that I would genuinely prefer to skip is "Profit and Lace" which comes in the fifth season.

You should be aware that the antagonists that really make the show what it is are primarily introduced at the end of the second season.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Like, at home? At first glance I'd suspect so too, but from everything I've heard it was a pain in the rear end just to put the drat thing on (i.e. he might well have had to help her get into it), and I can only imagine it'd put a damper to have to stop to pry her out of it at some point. And, even with Jeri Ryan, half of what you saw on the catsuit was molding to prevent her boobs from being smushed flat; fondling her would be only slightly more erotic than groping a suit of armor.

I mean, I could see him being a grody enough twerp to ask her to wear it while they were out on a date or something, but after her previous relationship I'd sincerely hope she'd tell him to gently caress off with that kind of request.

Nope. Jeri Ryan was pretty vocal about hating the catsuit but the show's producers insisted she wear it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Isn’t Braga the one who also had like a giantess fetish he kept hoping to find an excuse to cram in?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chakotay wears a diaper visibly on the bridge, complete with soother on a lanyard around his neck.

"Acoochimoya," he says, as his diaper fills with poo poo. Rivulets of diarrhea stream down his legs. This is the future.

Brannon Braga subsequently goes to the hospital with self-inflicted friction burns to his dick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

Franchise fatigue can be a thing, but in Trek's case it was entirely the talent, not the audience. The trek movies were bad, Voyager was bad, Enterprise was bad. If those shows had actually been good, if the movies didn't vary from "bland tng 2 parter" to "one of the worst movies I've ever seen" then maybe trek wouldn't have died. It feels like way too easy of an excuse to just say "franchise fatigue" when there was such a massive drop in quality. People had fatigue for trek with Rick Berman involved.

No poo poo, that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted:

Timby posted:

People may not have been tired of Trek in and of itself, but they were certainly tired of lovely Trek

Anyway...

HIJK posted:

DS9 is something like 99.659% Borg-free in terms of the total runtime, in minutes, of the show.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cythereal posted:

Nope. Jeri Ryan was pretty vocal about hating the catsuit but the show's producers insisted she wear it.

I know that, I meant (and assumed Timby was talking about) the idea that Braga would try to get Jeri Ryan to wear the catsuit at home or out on a date as well.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Franchise fatigue can be a thing, but in Trek's case it was entirely the talent, not the audience. The trek movies were bad, Voyager was bad, Enterprise was bad. If those shows had actually been good, if the movies didn't vary from "bland tng 2 parter" to "one of the worst movies I've ever seen" then maybe trek wouldn't have died. It feels like way too easy of an excuse to just say "franchise fatigue" when there was such a massive drop in quality. People had fatigue for trek with Rick Berman involved.

Enterprise could of been good as we see in season 4 but the insistence of creating a dumb plot with a race that came out of nowhere really hamstrung. Add to that a time travel plot and it was going to be dud out the gate.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skasion posted:

Isn’t Braga the one who also had like a giantess fetish he kept hoping to find an excuse to cram in?

His fetish is time travel.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
And, yeah, I distinctly remember burning out on Trek for quality reasons. I'd already long since stopped catching every episode of Voyager, I was really tired of the technobullshit word salad, I was actually looking forward to the notion of a Trek show that would eschew a lot of the lazy crutches that TNG/DS9/VOY had come to lean on... and after the first episode of Enterprise ended I swore off the show completely and never watched another episode of it until years later.

It wasn't because "nuhhh no more treks please," I wanted a good Star Trek show. I was angry because they'd promised "it'll be different" and they instantly went right back to the well. "Shields Hull plating down to whatever percent", "phase pistols" with stun settings, and beaming a dude out via transporter all in the first loving episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Enterprise could of been good as we see in season 4 but the insistence of creating a dumb plot with a race that came out of nowhere really hamstrung. Add to that a time travel plot and it was going to be dud out the gate.

Season 4 doesn't hold up nearly as well as you might think it does. It was a breath of fresh air at the time because Berman and Braga were gone until the finale, but watch it again and it's just way, way, way too stuffed with wink-wink, nudge-nudge, "Hey, recognize this? See this?" continuity wank that it gets exhausting. Coto tried to be far too clever for his own good.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I was angry because they'd promised "it'll be different" and they instantly went right back to the well. "Shields Hull plating down to whatever percent", "phase pistols" with stun settings, and beaming a dude out via transporter all in the first loving episode.

Yeah, I said this I think in the last thread but there's so much wasted potential in Enterprise. Here we are, really and truly with an opportunity to see what it was like to genuinely go where no one had gone before, and we got those same goddamn tropes, and plots that would have fit right in with Voyager in the middle of its run, and even a rehash of the original triumvirate with the captain, a Vulcan and a southerner, with the twist that both the captain and the southerner want to bone the Vulcan doo hoo hoo aren't we so motherFUCKING clever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
And then Nemesis came out. :suicide:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Side note: I recall someone in the thread saying that the Romulan cloaking plot line dies in DS9 never to be expanded upon or revisited, but that’s innacurate. I was half awake for an episode I will rewatch last night where the Romulans most definitely remember Ms Cloaking Officer. It’s an entire point of contention for them since they think closing the wormhole is good, and they are using every resource they can to argue in that favor. They are like “we gave you tech to deal with this poo poo. And we know even less than we did before!”

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Also a question

I know Odo and his Changeling homeworld are “the dominion”. But is there anyone else apart of the dominion? They seemed pretty convinced nuking their planet would work but it did nothing, and all I could think was “uhhhh what about all the other planets and races that make up the dominion? Aren’t there other races involved?”

Maybe I’m dumb but it seemed to me like they implied the dominion was an Evil Federation and not just a race of people they have already been calling Changelings.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The changelings are the leaders of the dominion. It's structured like an empire with semi autonomous provinces. The idea of attacking the changeling homeworld is the same as say attacking Italy to fight the Roman empire--yeah there's more constituent parts but it'll probably fall to pieces without the center

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Windows 98 posted:

Also a question

I know Odo and his Changeling homeworld are “the dominion”. But is there anyone else apart of the dominion? They seemed pretty convinced nuking their planet would work but it did nothing, and all I could think was “uhhhh what about all the other planets and races that make up the dominion? Aren’t there other races involved?”

Maybe I’m dumb but it seemed to me like they implied the dominion was an Evil Federation and not just a race of people they have already been calling Changelings.

The Dominion is an empire. The changelings are paranoid fascist dictators who enforce their will via armies of genetically engineered super-soldiers hard-coded for loyalty to the Founders and via a corps of smooth-tongued middle management types also hard-coded for loyalty to the Founders.

The Dominion controls most of the Gamma Quadrant, but it's a very top-down structure. Take out the changelings at the top, and the Dominion collapses.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Windows 98 posted:

Also a question

I think the idea is that due to the extremely authoritarian nature of the Dominion, destroying the leadership species would destroy the dominion. They had to know there were obviously tons of changelings off their homeworld so they'd never kill them all, and in the short term the Vorta and Jemhadar would rally around the surviving shape shifters to go on a genocidal war of revenge. If enough shape shifters survive to hold the dominion together, and you'd only need a few really, the Vorta could have kept the dominion running smoothly for another thousand years. It was a really bad plan.

The human plan to introduce a slow-acting extremely contagious sickness that is assured to infect them all in time due to the great link and then kills off the entire species in a way that makes them look obviously weak and helpless though is absolutely brilliant in contrast. That would have 100% destroyed the Dominion as planets finally rebel and the Vorta splinter off into various "loyalist" factions fighting in the name of their dead gods.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

cheetah7071 posted:

Only in the pilot as Sisko's backstory

thanks! now I can rewatch without fearing more of the Borg being run into the ground

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, the Borg are also the Defiant's backstory, not that it matters.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Nessus posted:

There are a couple of stinker episodes but the only one that I would genuinely prefer to skip is "Profit and Lace" which comes in the fifth season.

Season six actually.

I know because I'm just after watching it.

:shepface:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HIJK posted:

thanks! now I can rewatch without fearing more of the Borg being run into the ground
Until Voyager does it..

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The whole Romulan/Cardassian decapitation strike really wouldn’t have worked given what we learn about the Jem’Hadar. They wouldn’t have crumbled like most militaries in that situation, they’d all probably go full rage mode. I know they had lines about getting the station ready for the counterattack but it would have been loving enormous.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I think DS9 also had a throwaway line about "the recent Borg threat" around the time First Contact came out. But it wasn't an actual plot point or anything.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Minidust posted:

I think DS9 also had a throwaway line about "the recent Borg threat" around the time First Contact came out. But it wasn't an actual plot point or anything.

Papa Sisko mentions 'the Borg scare' in Home front. They had to acknowledge it, I suppose, and did it with subtlety.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Doesn't the episode where Sisko pilots the Bajoran sunship happen on the same stardate as First Contact? To give a little nod as to why Worf was piloting the Defiant.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

No, FC occurred just before/during 'Rapture' in DS9. That's when the uniforms change.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The producers of First Contact also wanted to blow up the Defiant, and the DS9 writers revolted.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Cythereal posted:

The producers of First Contact also wanted to blow up the Defiant, and the DS9 writers revolted.

Yeah, Ira Behr was livid and kicked and screamed to stop the Defiant showing up, but got overruled.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

Papa Sisko mentions 'the Borg scare' in Home front. They had to acknowledge it, I suppose, and did it with subtlety.

Reading the paper in the 24th century is probably a harrowing experience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Simon Pegg blames Paramount's terrible marketing campaign for Star Trek Beyond's bad performance, and says that they had no idea what to do with the 50th Anniversary celebration, so instead they botched it.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/03/simon-pegg-blames-a-bad-marketing-campaign-for-star-trek-beyond-box-office-performance/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He's not wrong.