Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

FilthyImp posted:

Because the 'other guy ' was boring and distanced himself from one of the most charismatic presidents in modern history.

Also because he was mad this guy made his daddy look bad or something.

Also wasn't entirely 'elected ' so much as selected by a Supreme Court decision that was so fetid they repeatedly put qualifiers that the ruling was ONLY THIS ONE CASE AND NO OTHERS FOREVER AND EVER PLUS INFINITY .

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me.

The biblical prophecy guy openly stole his election and people did gently caress all about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Gum posted:

2000 was the one where you elected the guy who took a wrecking ball to the middle east because he and his British friend thought they were involved in biblical prophecy

To be fair, we didn't elect him, the Republican Party performed a coup.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
When was the last American election not significantly influenced by blatant corruption? Has there ever been one?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gum posted:

When was the last American election not significantly influenced by blatant corruption? Has there ever been one?

George Washington turning down a crown.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
George Washington vs. George Frederick of Hanover.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/979935782126354432

"What we've got here is, failure to communicate."

If this dude has really taken down Ingraham then he's made an actual positive difference in my life.

Great job getting yourself owned on social media, Laura, I mean, honestly, what the gently caress did she think was going to happen?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Then again I'm from a country that is committing national suicide because the ruling party is controlled by fanatical racists

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Gum posted:

2000 was the one where you elected the guy who took a wrecking ball to the middle east because he and his British friend thought they were involved in biblical prophecy

To be fair GWB was sold as a milquetoast anti-adventurism carehard with a platform of tax breaks and education reform

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

scopes posted:

To be fair GWB was sold as a milquetoast anti-adventurism carehard with a platform of tax breaks and education reform

yeah 2000 was voting for milquetoast anti-adventurism carehard with a platform of tax breaks and education reform, 2004 was the one where you elected the guy who took a wrecking ball to the middle east because he and his British friend thought they were involved in biblical prophecy

Mornacale posted:

To be fair, we didn't elect him, the Republican Party performed a coup.

I dont see exactly how you can blame the republican party. it was the supreme court

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: dumb misreading:downs:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 31, 2018

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

scopes posted:

And when the truth came out he won reelection by a larger margin

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Majorian posted:

Donald J. Trump, promising to kick trans people out of the military.

(because that was out of pure dickishness, not corruption)

Are you giving 2016 as an example of a corruption free election?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gum posted:

Are you giving 2016 as an example of a corruption free election?

Oops, I misread your post as "the last American presidential action.":downs:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Gum posted:

On a platform of "gays are icky."

Kerry was lambasted for pointing out that Cheney's daughter was gay. :decorum:

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

awesmoe posted:

yeah 2000 was voting for milquetoast anti-adventurism carehard with a platform of tax breaks and education reform, 2004 was the one where you elected the guy who took a wrecking ball to the middle east because he and his British friend thought they were involved in biblical prophecy

Gum posted:

Yeah, we were really on some next-level poo poo by then. 2000 was the first election I was of voting age for. I've felt like I've been going insane nearly every day of my adult life, it's been great.

Sorry, I guess.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

awesmoe posted:

I dont see exactly how you can blame the republican party. it was the supreme court

Americans openly discuss the political alligencies of the supreme court and how this effects their legal rulings. This is seen as normal and in the most recent election the question of whether the next judge would be republican or democrat aligned was a major talking point

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

So I guess Trump is hiring Rob Porter back, huh

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I wonder if Donnie's hate for for trans is because of the regressive fear of hitting on a (trans)women.

Like Ryan didn't mistakenly incept him and it's just the recent cultural battles that uncovered mushbrain's stupid nightmare.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Gum posted:

Americans openly discuss the political alligencies of the supreme court and how this effects their legal rulings. This is seen as normal and in the most recent election the question of whether the next judge would be republican or democrat aligned was a major talking point

nah judges having values that align with with the values of a particular party is different from the judge being aligned with the party itself. the alignment of values is neither bad nor avoidable

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Trump to proclaim May as 'give the president a do-over month'

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

awesmoe posted:

nah judges having values that align with with the values of a particular party is different from the judge being aligned with the party itself. the alignment of values is neither bad nor avoidable

It is different. When the judges make a blatantly false ruling to advantage the majority party of the court (As they did in Bush v Gore) it becomes clear which side of the line they sit on

E: I would definitely disagree with the other option being fine though. When judicial appointments are being made because of the politics of a judge then the entire separation of power system starts to break down

Gum fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 31, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I dunno what you're all complaining about, Trump's done more to raise awareness of sexual assault (and corruption, incompetence, nepotism, authoritarianism, racism, and conspiracy theories) than any other president.

Gum posted:

Trump to proclaim May as 'give the president a do-over month'
He could get a do-over every day and would still be in permanent scandal.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skeleton warrior posted:

Oh man, this is totally what's going on, I bet.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

pretty much

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

so commit crimes before forgiveness month

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

:discourse:

e-

Owned. :kimchi:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 31, 2018

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

If this dude has really taken down Ingraham then he's made an actual positive difference in my life.

Great job getting yourself owned on social media, Laura, I mean, honestly, what the gently caress did she think was going to happen?

At a guess, she probably figured she'd embarrass the kid into running and hiding, and score some brownie points among the Fox News faithful into the bargain. So it's doubly wonderful that this has instead blown up in her face so hugely. :allears:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kavros posted:

You gotta give old people some credit! At practically any other time in history, they were way way way way more useful! If you were growing up in a preindustrialized era all the way back through past early pastoralism and all of that, then the things you had to do or learn or know to get by rarely changed that much at all. An old person would have survived many things and known from firsthand experience many things which were extremely and extraordinarily pertinent to your particular means of getting through literal and figurative winters.

Our old people suffer from being cast aside by tectonic shifts in society and technology, and few have kept up with the knowledge necessary to recognize when their advice is even useful. My own father would repeatedly give me useless information about job searching without recognizing its uselessness, telling me things like that a minimum wage would suffice to get me through college and that I should just go around and look for signs that places are hiring, or, absent that, just march in and demand a job! It's so comically obsolete information, it hurts! But if I were thrown back in time to his era, and got to ignore pertinent issues of gender and race discrimination for some magical reason, I guess, I would try to remember literally everything he ever tried to teach me about getting by, because it would be super valid. It just didn't have a shelf life.

But if I were growing up in some other era, it wouldn't have expired. The wheel would not have been invented in my time. His advice on seedcorn or plough bracing or parchment drying or bundle harvesting or maize grinding or trade signing or cabbage fermenting or knowing which mushroom will kill the gently caress out of me would have been essentially relatively as up-to-date as what I had to know to get by.

Instead our olds are tech dispossessees stuck out of place and sitting in front of fox news and becoming our first experiment in how the new media environment drives us literally insane.

Awesome read. Thanks.

Invalid Validation posted:

I agree haul all old people into a zoo.

Alternatively

quote:

Ättestupa (Swedish for kin/clan precipice) is the mythical practice of senicide during Nordic prehistoric times: elderly people are said to have thrown themselves, or were thrown, to their deaths. According to legend, this was done when the old people were unable to support themselves or assist in a household

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

At a guess, she probably figured she'd embarrass the kid into running and hiding, and score some brownie points among the Fox News faithful into the bargain. So it's doubly wonderful that this has instead blown up in her face so hugely. :allears:

The Fox suits have got to be pissing blood like a fire hose right now. They launched a full court press last year three times to defend Hannity from being a sexual assaulter, a conspiracy theorist, and an unhinged rear end in a top hat after they fired O'Reilly purely to keep his timeslot from tumbling into Jesse Watters's waiting gropey fingers. Now they might have to actually fire Laura Ingram, and for far less than what Hannity did.

My only worry is that eventually the Parkland Kids are going to succumb to outrage fatigue and just pack it all in before they get around to tooling all these media monsters like Ingram and Erick, Son of Erick, in one way or another. Or the American Goldfish Memory will be persuaded that actually yeah no the kids who got shot at were the real bad guys all along or just start ignoring them once they feel they overstayed their pop culture welcome like what happened to the Sandy Hook families and Gabby Giffords.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think you mean bigly.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

The Fox suits have got to be pissing blood like a fire hose right now. They launched a full court press last year three times to defend Hannity from being a sexual assaulter, a conspiracy theorist, and an unhinged rear end in a top hat after they fired O'Reilly purely to keep his timeslot from tumbling into Jesse Watters's waiting gropey fingers. Now they might have to actually fire Laura Ingram, and for far less than what Hannity did.

My only worry is that eventually the Parkland Kids are going to succumb to outrage fatigue and just pack it all in before they get around to tooling all these media monsters like Ingram and Erick, Son of Erick, in one way or another. Or the American Goldfish Memory will be persuaded that actually yeah no the kids who got shot at were the real bad guys all along or just start ignoring them once they feel they overstayed their pop culture welcome like what happened to the Sandy Hook families and Gabby Giffords.

Eh I have a little faith in pissed off teenagers being vindicative as gently caress at least to keep it going until Nov.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/979935782126354432

"What we've got here is, failure to communicate."

This is amazing but I have to remind myself that nothing matters and when things cool down advertisers will be back and one day Hogg will accept doing an interview on some neutral seeming show and the host will ambush him. Chew his rear end off, have him somehow come out as being against the civil rights movement and express vague support for some meme conspiracy theory that turned out to be anti-Semitic.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

awesmoe posted:

That these judges go to GOP billionaire political retreats is just their values coincidentally aligning with the party. Totally normal.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/us/politics/20koch.html

Fansy fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 31, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

Eh I have a little faith in pissed off teenagers being vindicative as gently caress at least to keep it going until Nov.

Indeed. Teenagers aren't as prone to outrage fatigue as adults. The world hasn't ground them down. Yet. Again, the variables in this problem have changed - this thing's a freight train with some pretty kickass engineers. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

Katt posted:

This is amazing but I have to remind myself that nothing matters and when things cool down advertisers will be back and one day Hogg will accept doing an interview on some neutral seeming show and the host will ambush him. Chew his rear end off, have him somehow come out as being against the civil rights movement and express vague support for some meme conspiracy theory that turned out to be anti-Semitic.

Ye of little faith.

e- You don't have to remind yourself that :matters: because this isn't written in stone. That's way too defeatist.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 31, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

PhazonLink posted:

I wonder if Donnie's hate for for trans is because of the regressive fear of hitting on a (trans)women.
With donny's history, and his "personal Vietnam", you know this has happened already.

Yep... Be sure of this. Donny's felt a ball sack that's not his own.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But enough about Mike Pence's balls.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

KickerOfMice posted:

Indeed. Teenagers aren't as prone to outrage fatigue as adults. The world hasn't ground them down. Yet. Again, the variables in this problem have changed - this thing's a freight train with some pretty kickass engineers. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.
The risk isn't David Hogg getting tired, it's everyone else getting tired of David Hogg and then completely forgetting about this issue when it's time to vote.

Maybe this time will be different, but so far gun control has been notorious for being an issue that only has support in the immediate aftermath of a mass shooting, but has aggressive opposition all of the time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

OneEightHundred posted:

The risk isn't David Hogg getting tired, it's everyone else getting tired of David Hogg and then completely forgetting about this issue when it's time to vote.

Maybe this time will be different, but so far gun control has been notorious for being an issue that only has support in the immediate aftermath of a mass shooting, but has aggressive opposition all of the time.

Well let me tell you something about mass shootings in America...

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Mustached Demon posted:

Well let me tell you something about mass shootings in America...

The parkland kids should just collect mass shooting survivors until they make up a majority of the voting population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Gum posted:

The parkland kids should just collect mass shooting survivors until they make up a majority of the voting population

I read somewhere that mass shooting survivors in the US is up to something like 100.000. The day Hogg and Gonzales runs for congress it will probably be more.

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 31, 2018

• Locked thread