Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Those are some dudes who got together during the clan era, I was asking about the foundation of successor state warfare.

One the feudal topic: what was the military basis of the Lyran Alliance? An army split or a feudal rebellion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Baron Porkface posted:

One the feudal topic: what was the military basis of the Lyran Alliance? An army split or a feudal rebellion?

A failed coup followed by a rebellion

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

Those are some dudes who got together during the clan era, I was asking about the foundation of successor state warfare.

The basis was Katherine Steiner-Davion seizing onto the first excuse to come her way to sieze power and recruit enough Noble malcontents to effect a secession from the Commonwealth and kick off another generation of war.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Baron Porkface posted:

Short answer: yes, but you usually find them when you get into the local garrison of a single ancient shadow hawk and half-broken stinger that are the hereditary property of His Royal Highness the Grand Maquis of Bumblefuck Backwater. It's also a popular backstory for various mercenaries. Grand Maquis Bumblefuck gets killed in a coup and his son takes the ancestral Shadowhawk and signs up with the first merc unit he finds to pay the bills.

Most of the named units you see are what amount to regular army. The Great House level poo poo is actually still being done on the level of regular military units throughout the succession wars.

Question re: Crab: I seem to remember that, while it was a pre-exodus design it was hyper advanced awesome tech at that point so it was almost entirely in the SLDF and, as such, most went on the exodus. I think it was one of those designs that was resurrected when they started being able to reboot the industry post-Grey Death memory core.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sarna says there were a number of surviving Crabs in House hands up through the end of the 4th Succession War, although they only totaled about a hundred at that point. They ran standard armor instead of ferro fib, single heat sinks instead of doubles, and then regular lasers instead of ERs or pulses (which helps offset the lack of heat efficiency anyway and isn't really much of a downgrade in the era).

So a full star league CRB-27 would be basically ComStar or SLDF cache only, but a downgraded CRB-20 wouldn't be THAT far fetched.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I hope they sell enough copies to get the quirks patch back on track. Crabs really need extra melee damage quirks to be full crab.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Baron Porkface posted:

The entire history of Battletech is based on the fundamental premise that democracy beyond the planetary scale does not work and feudalism was needed to bring stability after it was tried and failed. Every one of the major Houses and Periphery powers are organized along this basis.

Unforunately, this background material has been greatly deprecated in more recent products--not so much retconned as quietly ignored--but it's there. Feudalism is one of the foundations of the setting.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Noble malcontents to effect a secession from the Commonwealth and kick off another generation of war.

This is what I'm not grasping about the feudal future. The lyran portion of FedCom seems to be based off the c.1730 Prussian Army which was dominated by nobility but would not split in the way that a medieval army would.

Xotl posted:

The entire history of Battletech is based on the fundamental premise that democracy beyond the planetary scale does not work and feudalism was needed to bring stability after it was tried and failed. Every one of the major Houses and Periphery powers are organized along this basis.

Is it like one planet per space baron and 5 planet barons serve a space count?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It varies from place to place. You'd have Dukes who could run anything from one planet to a handful, and in general status was mostly about how much money and power you could bring to bear. Most nobility below that ruled a continent or a city or something.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyway to get the game early?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Be a big streamer, or be a real life Shadowrunner and break into HBS and steal the data.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Hire shadowrunners to hit HBS's offices in Seattle.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Make your own robots, with blackjack and hookers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dear HBS,

Please make a sequel to Starsiege as your next game.

Thank you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

I said come in! posted:

Dear HBS,

Thank you.

oh poo poo

TRIBES of all things had an extremely active RP/lore community for quite some time (I know this because teenage me was very into it). There's a great game that 2500 people would play somewhere in the old Firetruce packets

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

I said come in! posted:

Dear HBS,

Thank you.

Or a 40k version of Battletech with Titans.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To be fair only 3 streamers have gotten the game: NGNGTV, who to people's chagrin are the biggest, if not the only, BattleTech fan group on Twitch, HyperRPG, which is really close to HBS if not owned by the same people, and CohhCarnage, who got his from GOG because he has a partnetship agreement with them and makes money from every sale made through his link. I can't remember the technical term for that.

None of Paradox's usual suspects have gotten access yet- not shenryyr, quill18, Arumba, any of them.

Judging by past games the general, non-unique streamer embargo might not break until the 23rd. That was when Pillars of Eternity's embargo broke. That was a kickstarter game too that Paradox published.

Vvv that works.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 2, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sky Shadowing posted:

I can't remember the technical term for that.

Affiliate might be the word you're looking for?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

Dear HBS,

Thank you.
Does Hi-Rez own the overall Earth/Starsiege license or just Tribes?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

How Disgusting posted:

Make your own robots, with Blackjacks and Hollanders

Fixed!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:mbisonyes:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Buzz off with your ideas for HBS' next series. Jordan needs to make MY his dream Crimson Skies game next. :argh:

The FASA Trinity must be completed.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Sky Shadowing posted:

On the topic of dumb lore, how well known amongst Goons is it that the guy who wrote the Eridani Light Horse lore (setting aside the legal arguments being made about that lore being integrated into the canon) tried to use that stuff as a vessel to insert his own Mary Sue literal furry anthro unicorn character into the setting?

To be fair he claims to have been trolling people, which is a well-agreed pasttime.

Alright, I just read through the entire thread to try and tide me over (it didn't work, I had to play Mech Commander 2 as well) but this really, really stuck out. Can anyone explain what the hell?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Buzz off with your ideas for HBS' next series. Jordan needs to make MY his dream Crimson Skies game next. :argh:

Not empty quoting this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dreadwroth posted:

Oh man you do some clean lines, what did you use for those illustrations?

Just zoomed in photoshop, though I used some advice Shimmy gave me and FD talked about his straight-lines negative drawing method in a /btg/ thread once and I gave it a try.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Seriously, I don't care if it's an arcadey flight sim or something like a more elaborate and detailed Sid Meier's Ace Patrol. I need a new Crimson Skies and I want HBS and Jordan to be the ones to make it. :shobon:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

King Doom posted:

Alright, I just read through the entire thread to try and tide me over (it didn't work, I had to play Mech Commander 2 as well) but this really, really stuck out. Can anyone explain what the hell?

The internet puppetmaster defense, of course. "I was just trolling," claims individual who attempted to assert legal co-author status of the entire BT franchise in a genuine court of law.

sarna has a page on it but it reads like it was written by this same person or a fan of them because fair and unbiased it's not. It does have a "needs cleanup" tag though :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 2, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Dear HBS,

Please make a sequel to Crimson Skies as your next game.

Thank you.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Poor, poor Earthdawn.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Airspace posted:

Poor, poor Earthdawn.

:argh: Earthdawn, get back in the basement!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Dear HBS,

Please make a sequel to Crimson Skies as your next game.

Thank you.

Unfortunately Microsoft wants a unreasonable amount of money for that license.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Well then we should make sure HBS gets an unreasonable amount of money from Battletech :colbert:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Earthdawn owns fam

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think Zaodai was on to something: we need to organize a Shadowrun, but instead the objective will be to steal back all of FASA's IPs and deliver them to HBS.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dibs on being the street sam.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We don't have wired reflexes but we can probably work out something rather similar to Novacoke.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Sarna says there were a number of surviving Crabs in House hands up through the end of the 4th Succession War, although they only totaled about a hundred at that point. They ran standard armor instead of ferro fib, single heat sinks instead of doubles, and then regular lasers instead of ERs or pulses (which helps offset the lack of heat efficiency anyway and isn't really much of a downgrade in the era).

So a full star league CRB-27 would be basically ComStar or SLDF cache only, but a downgraded CRB-20 wouldn't be THAT far fetched.

I love the Crab, but won't twin large lasers plus secondaries make it overheat hilariously on single sinks? The lasers alone put out, what, 8 heat apop.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Drake_263 posted:

I love the Crab, but won't twin large lasers plus secondaries make it overheat hilariously on single sinks? The lasers alone put out, what, 8 heat apop.

The Crab-20 has 16 single heat sinks, so in TT it can sink both lasers but movement and using its other lasers will result in a slow buildup of heat that can be dealt with by simply not firing one of the large lasers every few rounds.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Crimson Skies: Mercenaries would own so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DatonKallandor posted:

Unfortunately Microsoft wants a unreasonable amount of money for that license.

Smith & Tinker got the license at one point, but I don't know what happened to it once PGI bought them up.