Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

There's also the people who read the plot synopsis of movies on wikipedia.

I do admittedly watch food recipe videos in double time.

Are those the same people that read the plot synopsis and then have arguments about the film, never having seen it? Those people own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Erebus posted:

I only just now found out that you can use an extension to play Netflix (and any other HTML5 video) at double speed. God I wish I'd known this sooner for any number of interesting-but-slow documentaries and mediocre TV shows.

True CineD'ers play it at 1.5x.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I always wanna say, what, you think you're some kind of wizard or something? gently caress you!

me watching netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Asnorban posted:

Watch Speed Racer. And then buy Speed Racer because it’s a nightmare for streaming encoding.

This. I cannot imagine watching that movie streamed. Maybe they're doing it as a stealth stress test or something.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

Agreed, but also I'm now kind of morbidly curious to watch Speed Racer at 2x speed.

I imagine it would be like when Bowman goes through the vortex in 2001.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm suppose to do X amount of professional development hours a year. A lot of it is watching videos and learning new things. I always watch them on 1.5x or 2x, but we use the length of the videos as how many hours we've done.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

How'd I know what this was before I even clicked?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Are those the same people that read the plot synopsis and then have arguments about the film, never having seen it? Those people own

I bet their bookshelves look like this, too:

Gotta keep it clean.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I laughed at that at first but soon it radicalized me and I was just as pissed off as the most ardent detractor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We have six bookshelves across three rooms, with each shelf being subsections of the general section the rooms are (fiction, nonfiction, and oversized art/media books)

I'm this close to going full dewey decimal

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HBO has gotten seriously loving lazy about putting their shows up when they air.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

HBO has gotten seriously loving lazy about putting their shows up when they air.

How is that not automated?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How well regarded is Occupied in Norway?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How is that not automated?

I don't know if it is or not. I just know that poo poo used to go up the second it aired and now sometimes it's as late as the next day and sometimes it's instant. It makes no sense.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Are we talking about their series, or Maher and Oliver? Because Maher and Oliver need time, always have. Encoding and uploading takes time.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 2, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

married but discreet posted:

There's also the people who read the plot synopsis of movies on wikipedia.

I do admittedly watch food recipe videos in double time.

I don't watch a movie unless I know the entire plot before hand actually. :shrug:

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I read somewhere while Netflix Japan gets it weekly, it doesn't come to America until like 4 months of episodes are built up. Be careful I accidentally spoiled myself researching the show.

Have you watched the other seasons of Terrace House like Boys & Girls in the City?

https://www.netflix.com/title/80067942

I am currently 16 episodes in (it has 28 episodes). It has the same host (outside of the one guest host) which I think make the show. There is also from what I understand the controversial season called Aloha State which takes place in Hawaii. From what I understand most found it too American (good chance I will still watch it).

https://www.netflix.com/title/80131479

There are pre-Netflix seasons of the show that was the same house for 2 years. I think one guy stayed in the house for all 90+ episodes. That said I am not sure how you can watch it. I am hoping Netflix puts it up sooner or later.

Edit: Also I don't watch any other reality shows, but I can't stop watching this. It is my right before bed show.

1. Yes japan gets it weekly, For whatever reason Netflix outside of japan waits until they have enough episodes to make “parts” out of it.

2. Aloha state is awful, the people are boring for the first half, they get somewhat better in the secondhand but not by much.

3. The original terrace house episodes are on Japanese Netflix but they don’t have subs.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Titan is absolutely not worth watching, I can tell you that much. It was like a really dull version of The Fly, and by the end of it, I wondered why they spent so much time on ‘oh no, the government’ when the focus was supposedly ‘testing people to colonize a moon’.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The new season of TPB was an improvement over the last couple. The memorandum to John Dunsworth at the end was nice. :unsmith:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm only three episodes into Wild, Wild Country and drat it's gripping. So far I'm more on the side of the Rajneeshes because their transformation of barren ranchland into a self-sustaining community was some awe-inspiring stuff that mostly overshadows the weird personality cult around the Bhagwan. You get the sense that Antelope's townsfolk are mostly jealous and overtly hostile and provocative, and most of the Rajneeshes' response to this is reasonable (so far). The state and federal government being cautious and wary is totally understandable and even prudent with all this just being a few years after Jonestown.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I watched the huge 2 part Garry Shandling doc on HBO over the weekend, and even though I love Garry it felt about an hour too long. Part 2 in particular suffers from way too many long, lingering shots of fairly short diary excerpts.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm only three episodes into Wild, Wild Country and drat it's gripping. So far I'm more on the side of the Rajneeshes because their transformation of barren ranchland into a self-sustaining community was some awe-inspiring stuff that mostly overshadows the weird personality cult around the Bhagwan. You get the sense that Antelope's townsfolk are mostly jealous and overtly hostile and provocative, and most of the Rajneeshes' response to this is reasonable (so far). The state and federal government being cautious and wary is totally understandable and even prudent with all this just being a few years after Jonestown.

Get back to us when you finish.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The whole thing is structured almost like they want the audience to have the experience of being seduced into joining a cult. It makes sense, nobody joins a cult because they think it looks horrible, there's gotta be something attractive about it, at least at first right? It's pretty great, definitely a unique documentary.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Enos Cabell posted:

I watched the huge 2 part Garry Shandling doc on HBO over the weekend, and even though I love Garry it felt about an hour too long. Part 2 in particular suffers from way too many long, lingering shots of fairly short diary excerpts.

“Judd Apatow” explains it being an hour too long.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

People that do this and the podcast thing are out of their loving minds.

I think the use of the words "consume" and "binge" for TV shows and movies comes from a similar weird place. I don't think the goal of entertainment should be "completing" it. There's no Xbox achievement for watching everything in the Netflix catalogue.

I know a lot of people half-watch stuff — they surf the internet, they do laundry, or I guess they watch it at double speed to "get through it." But we're like 120 years into the filmed entertainment thing, you'd think people could find stuff in that collection that holds their attention completely.

If something isn't interesting enough for you to watch at normal speed I think you're better off watching something else.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress that. I love podcasts because I love the material they talk about, and the banter that goes back and forth. However, if my brain is capable of parsing the information at 1.5 or 2x speed, then there's no reason I should have to waste my hours on this planet listening to it at normal speed.

I can understand the same 99% Invisible podcast in 11 minutes as I can 22. I shouldn't have to hold my life hostage because Roman Mars talks a bit slow.

There's no achievement for "Completing the Netflix Catalog," but there's also no achievement for "Sitting for 50 hours watching <media>," either. So I don't see what your issue is if the same media can be enjoyed in 35. That's entirely subjective and something you can't force other people to feel bad about, or whatever-the-gently caress your goal is by whinging about whatever-the-gently caress it is you are about.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

gently caress that. I love podcasts because I love the material they talk about, and the banter that goes back and forth. However, if my brain is capable of parsing the information at 1.5 or 2x speed, then there's no reason I should have to waste my hours on this planet listening to it at normal speed.

I can understand the same 99% Invisible podcast in 11 minutes as I can 22. I shouldn't have to hold my life hostage because Roman Mars talks a bit slow.

There's no achievement for "Completing the Netflix Catalog," but there's also no achievement for "Sitting for 50 hours watching <media>," either. So I don't see what your issue is if the same media can be enjoyed in 35. That's entirely subjective and something you can't force other people to feel bad about, or whatever-the-gently caress your goal is by whinging about whatever-the-gently caress it is you are about.

So, like do you actually enjoy anything?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I derive great joy from what I learn and listen to in the podcasts. There are happy moments, sad moments, insightful moments, and surprising moments. And there are some shows that, due to how they pace things, are best enjoyed at normal speed.

But there are other shows that I watch for the jokes and character beats, but are also really predictable in their pacing and set-up of plot points (like The Good Place and Brooklyn 99). Those shows are perfect for 1.5x speed. I still get the laughs, but there are literally only so many hours in a week that I have available. By watching them at 1.5, I can still get the material and my enjoyment, but can watch literally more of it in a given year than I could otherwise. It also frees up time to enjoy other things like playing Splatoon 2 or working on my car, both hobbies I enjoy. If I didn't have the 1.5x extension, I'd have to choose between playing a game, or watching TV.

Why is that a big loving deal to you people? :psyduck: Are you angry that I haven't spent potentially as many hours on something as you have? I don't get the argument the other way around.

Are you also angry when a musician plays a song more quickly than a beginner? Or when someone runs to work instead of walks? Or when someone drives 70 to work instead of 65? It's their life.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 2, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yeah, I derive great joy from what I learn and listen to in the podcasts. There are happy moments, sad moments, insightful moments, and surprising moments. And there are some shows that, due to how they pace things, are best enjoyed at normal speed.

But there are other shows that I watch for the jokes and character beats, but are also really predictable in their pacing and set-up of plot points (like The Good Place and Brooklyn 99). Those shows are perfect for 1.5x speed. I still get the laughs, but there are literally only so many hours in a week that I have available. By watching them at 1.5, I can still get the material and my enjoyment, but can watch literally more of it in a given year than I could otherwise. It also frees up time to enjoy other things like playing Splatoon 2 or working on my car, both hobbies I enjoy. If I didn't have the 1.5x extension, I'd have to choose between playing a game, or watching TV.

Why is that a big loving deal to you people? :psyduck:

To me it's like when someone has a 16:9 TV and insists on stretching something with a 4:3 aspect ratio to fit the 16:9 ratio.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why is that a big loving deal to you people? :psyduck: Are you angry that I haven't spent potentially as many hours on something as you have? I don't get the argument the other way around.

Are you also angry when a musician plays a song more quickly than a beginner? Or when someone runs to work instead of walks? Or when someone drives 70 to work instead of 65? It's their life.

I wouldn't really care about someone doing this except in the context of them recommending something to me. Do you let people know when you talk to them about recommendations that you're watching at 1.5 speed? I'd want to know that so I could, in a friendly way, disregard your opinions.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's like, if you want to pour soda into your cereal. Go ahead and do it if you want, but I'm just saying it's really loving weird.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I also listen to recorded class lectures at 1.5x or 1.25x if I understand the material. Save a poo poo-ton of time. If it's difficult material, I/you can even slow it down, or pause between sentences to parse the material. Nothing wrong with that.

There's a feature in my podcast player that skips over blank audio segments, like the pauses between the ad bits or at the end of most episodes. I had a console CD player with "gapless playback" from the early 90's that did the same thing at the end of songs. Was that also wrong or weird?

Have you ever skipped ahead in a youtube video because you wanted to skip the introduction/knew what was coming/skip the "like and subscribe" bit? That's also very similar. "Skip Intro" button on Netflix? You're just saving time because you know what's going on.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 2, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I also listen to recorded class lectures at 1.5x or 1.25x if I understand the material. Save a poo poo-ton of time. If it's difficult material, I/you can even slow it down, or pause between sentences to parse the material. Nothing wrong with that.

There's a feature in my podcast player that skips over blank audio segments, like the pauses between the ad bits or at the end of most episodes. I had a console CD player with "gapless playback" from the early 90's that did the same thing at the end of songs. Was that also wrong or weird?

Have you ever skipped ahead in a youtube video because you wanted to skip the introduction/knew what was coming/skip the "like and subscribe" bit? That's also very similar. "Skip Intro" button on Netflix? You're just saving time because you know what's going on.

None of this stuff is really the same as playing a streaming a t.v. show at 1.5 speed, I think that's a bit more off the beaten path than skipping ahead in a youtube video.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

"Look, I'm really enjoying this conversation with you, but if you just talk at 1.5x, I can get home in time for Colbert."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

These are not even close in equivalency to speeding up Netflix or podcasts by the way.

Those are static recordings that were created to be enjoyed in a certain way by the creators, so part of the intent is lost when you speed it up because it gets in the way of something else you'd apparently enjoy doing more. I'm not even angry about it, it's just extremely alien to me, that something I like would be such a hindrance to someone else that changing the intent is preferable. This is why people who do this get a reaction, it's just downright bizarre to most people.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
It’s weird because you sound like you’re turning something that’s supposed to be enjoyable into an obligation like work.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

None of this stuff is really the same as playing a streaming a t.v. show at 1.5 speed, I think that's a bit more off the beaten path than skipping ahead in a youtube video.

For really formulaic poo poo, like B99, I enjoy it. The joke setups are always the same, and they don't really write it with "long pauses for deep thought" in mind. There's a set-up, a beat, and a joke drop. Sometimes there's a set-up, a beat, a segue into another segment with it's own nested jokes, then they come back and the joke drops. It's honestly kind of like a musical tune that repeats itself, and the only thing that changes is the key (or joke keyword/material). I still love the show, but it's easy to follow. That kind of show is perfect for 1.25 or 1.5x, when you just want to catch up on the characters because you're three seasons behind and also catch the jokes because you love Andy Samberg.

I would never watch my favorite movie of all time (Lawrence of Arabia) at a modified speed, but sometimes I skip the opening orchestral bit with him prepping the motorcycle because it's eleven minutes long and I know the music. That movie benefits from pacing and pauses. B99 does not, once you learn the "tune" of the show.

pizza valentine posted:

It’s weird because you sound like you’re turning something that’s supposed to be enjoyable into an obligation like work.

It's not an obligation. I just want to share my enjoyments. I guarantee I get the same "dopamine release" or whatever from my sped-up show as you do from watching it at regular speed or whatever. Maybe, after getting accustomed to the show's style at 1.5x, I sit there twiddling my thumbs when it's played at normal speed because there's so much other poo poo I could be doing that it's not enjoyable?

People enjoy different things, who knew? From my end, this is what I'm hearing:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 2, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pizza valentine posted:

Yeah.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It kinds of depends on what you're viewing it for. If you want to fill time pleasurably, normal speed is fine. If you want to receive what they're attempting to communicate, speeding things up is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo, that's a good way to put it.