Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pattonesque posted:

Crimson Skies: Pirates

Its like you don't even know the setting! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Having seen that there are several melee-enhancing components you can add to your mechs, I am really wondering how likely it will be viable to make a heavily melee dedicated mech.

I guess that they decided in testing that it was good otherwise they wouldn't have removed AoD (I presume the reason for removal was that it was too good)

I just wanna have a reason to slap jump jets on a fast assault and go completely ham with robofists

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Crimson Skies: Mercenaries would own so hard

please do not offer glimpses into better universes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't know if there's such a thing as a fast assault before XL engines become common.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Xarbala posted:

I don't know if there's such a thing as a fast assault before XL engines become common.

'Sup Dude.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xarbala posted:

The Charger and Banshee both qualify.

They're also pieces of poo poo until XL Engines become common.

RabidWeasel posted:

Having seen that there are several melee-enhancing components you can add to your mechs, I am really wondering how likely it will be viable to make a heavily melee dedicated mech.

I guess that they decided in testing that it was good otherwise they wouldn't have removed AoD (I presume the reason for removal was that it was too good)

I just wanna have a reason to slap jump jets on a fast assault and go completely ham with robofists

The Neanderthal is one of my favorite 'Mechs ever, and it's a melee monster. 80 tons, 5/8 movement with TSM to get up to 6/9, and it has a mace (20 damage on hit at its size). With TSM it swings for 40 on the full body table.

My favorite variant also has a couple snub-nose PPCs with capacitors for 15 point holes at 9 hexes, and follows up by literally strapping a trio of 'Mech scale claymores to its chest. :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You know I genuinely forgot the Charger exists

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

The Charger and Banshee both qualify.

They're also pieces of poo poo until XL Engines become common.

The Neanderthal is one of my favorite 'Mechs ever, and it's a melee monster. 80 tons, 5/8 movement with TSM to get up to 6/9, and it has a mace (20 damage on hit at its size). With TSM it swings for 40 on the full body table.

My favorite variant also has a couple snub-nose PPCs with capacitors for 15 point holes at 9 hexes, and follows up by literally strapping a trio of 'Mech scale claymores to its chest. :allears:

There’s a Ti Tsang or something like that which is 6/9/6 with a hatchet and ER lasers-large, 3 medium, 2 small. It can jump all the time and land headcapping hatchet swings constantly. While keeping TSM running by tweaking your laser usage.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Arcturas posted:

There’s a Ti Tsang or something like that which is 6/9/6 with a hatchet and ER lasers-large, 3 medium, 2 small. It can jump all the time and land headcapping hatchet swings constantly. While keeping TSM running by tweaking your laser usage.

24 damage is fun and all, but it's no 40 point chunk. The Ti'Tsang in the Grinder kit right now is the one with five ER Mediums and four ER Smalls.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TSM was such a hilariously broken tech. Once my middle school buddies and I discovered it in whichever TRO it was in (3055 maybe? 3050 as an experimental thing? Or was it in that 3050-ish prototype tech supplement?) we added it to loving EVERYTHING.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Berserker-C3 for lyfe my dudes. 100 tonner 5/8 w/TSM max armor light engine hatchet wielding C3 slave carrying death machine. Bonus points for being loaded with a head flamer, a brace of 6 ERMLs, and an ERPPC for spice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Can you elaborate on this for those of us who have not been able to keep up with all the news?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

High-Spec Actuators have shown up in the streams that add melee damage, add melee stability damage, and add DFA damage. They take up crit slots and weight 2-4 tons each.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How could anyone forget the Charger's sweet cooldude shades?

The thing I love the most about Earthdawn is it takes place in the same timeline as Shadowrun.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Can the Charger Drop or throw his pistol at people? I mean how would that work with power and coolant lines? :thunk:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can you elaborate on this for those of us who have not been able to keep up with all the news?

You know how some mechs have fists? Those fists give you bonus melee damage.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Flaggy posted:

Is there anyway to get the game early?
What are you talking about? I've been playing it all day :wink:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

isildur posted:

i want to have fun too :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i want to have fun too :negative:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_BattleTech_-_The_Crescent_Hawks_Inception_1988

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

isildur posted:

You monster.

I actually have a quick question about the AI. Watching the Cohh stream I've seen a couple of situations where the AI will put it's mechs in seriously bad positions to chase damage on an already damaged mech (specifically his blackjack) including exposing back armor or even a very poorly considered death from above which basically guaranteed a knockdown followed by instant death. Is there some agressiveness level, or suicidal routine the AI runs, because they seemed like pretty poor choices to get so out of position to trade for a fairly damaged medium that incidental fire would probably have better dealt with?

The AI has looked very good and convincing but those occasions it just felt like it was acting more to spite the player than a good tactical choice.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

https://giant.gfycat.com/LimpingWanAmericanbittern.webm
30 SRM tubes are no joke.

:allears:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

So what I'm seeing from this is that SRM Carriers and Demolishers are Kill-On-Sight

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its like you don't even know the setting! :v:

goddamn that would be sweet

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

So what I'm seeing from this is that SRM Carriers and Demolishers are Kill-On-Sight

True to tabletop

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I found the reason HBS is releasing this on the 24th. They're trying to beat a superior mech business simulator to the market that is releasing on the 27th:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/674890/Mechsprofit_Mech_Tycoon_Simulator/

We backed the wrong game!

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 3, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pattonesque posted:

He has a pretty funny run-in with a Demolisher too, but its too long to make into a webm.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A demolisher? whats that? :confused:
*Demolisher blows a large hole in the side of his BJ with one of its twin AC/20 shots*
TWO AC TWENTIES?! Oh my god.... :stonk:
Step on it, NOW! :black101:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, I get that you're all excited for Crimson Dawn and Earthskies and everything, but there's a tradition to follow here.

HBS did three Shadowrun games before they went to BattleTech. Therefore I want my Merc 3039 and Merc 3050 games before we do anything else!

(Also the correct answer for next FASA is Renegade Legion!)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Hey, I get that you're all excited for Crimson Dawn and Earthskies and everything, but there's a tradition to follow here.

HBS did three Shadowrun games before they went to BattleTech. Therefore I want my Merc 3039 and Merc 3050 games before we do anything else!

The only correct post. They're already making the engine and all other supporting tech for it. Please continue making BattleTech games until forever.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would like a batshit crazy Dark Age game, while were throwing out wishlists.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I did say Battletech Series didn't I? :colbert:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cohh's endless, doomed procession of Blackjacks is hilarious.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

FYI, stealing this for the OP

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

that transition from :v: to :stare: to :stonk: is perfect

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

jng2058 posted:

Oh man gently caress yes it is the correct answer, I used to have the Blood and Steel boxed set and wanted the huge campaign box really badly. More than once I had a tank go slamming into a stand of trees at full speed, good times!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HBS should be putting that clip up on all of their social media. It's so perfect.

e: also no other battetech-IP game has done SRM carriers that scary, have they? I can only ever recall them as 1 or 2 x 6 SRM boats to be treated as mildly more annoying that APCs.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I think the Mechcommander ones were pretty mean to come up against.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

raverrn posted:

I think the Mechcommander ones were pretty mean to come up against.

LRM carriers and the PPC carriers (Shreks?) were always the ones that gave me any grief. The thunder LRM carriers were goddamn scary, as I recall.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

sebmojo posted:

Cohh's endless, doomed procession of Blackjacks is hilarious.

He keeps removing more armour and adding heatsinks it really doesn't need :negative:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RabidWeasel posted:

He keeps removing more armour and adding heatsinks it really doesn't need :negative:

He did quite a heartfelt plea to the grogs to not hate him for playing suboptimally. I actually really like watching him figure stuff out.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

He appears to be learning though, at the start of the recent stream he had read several helpful tips and spent like 30 mins going through his mechs and adding armor, re-jiggering weapons loadout and all that good stuff, and seems to be getting a better eye towards fine-tuning his weapons (i.e. after a mission he's usually "ok, this mech needs a bit more heatsinks, this needs more AC/20 ammo" etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

mods change my name posted:

Can the Charger Drop or throw his pistol at people? I mean how would that work with power and coolant lines? :thunk:

IIRC the mechs that have 'pistols' and 'rifles' usually have that more as a convenient mount for adding weapons than actual carried guns, ie, it's actually a part of the arm. I think some designs feature a sort of a decoupler system to make maintenance easier - sort of like a poor man's Omni Pod.