Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Antilles posted:

He appears to be learning though, at the start of the recent stream he had read several helpful tips and spent like 30 mins going through his mechs and adding armor, re-jiggering weapons loadout and all that good stuff, and seems to be getting a better eye towards fine-tuning his weapons (i.e. after a mission he's usually "ok, this mech needs a bit more heatsinks, this needs more AC/20 ammo" etc).

Aye, he's definitely learning. He's now at the same point I definitely went through in the Mechwarrior games: experimenting with the mech designs to make frankly rubbish mechs but at least based on thinking about the mechanics, even if the conclusions reached aren't correct. Like his single-PPC high-armour Griffin which he insists is a sniper mech but has less armament than a stock Panther and as much armour as his close-in brawler mechs. Dropping the LRM for heat efficiency and adding armour wasn't the worst idea but it's created an essentially dead weight mech compared to even the stock setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Griffin aint no Hollander.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

raverrn posted:

I think the Mechcommander ones were pretty mean to come up against.

They had something like half of the tubes they should have had. MC only had LRM-5s and SRM-2s and neither had as many as they should have had (12 and 30 respectively)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's an April Fools day joke but is relevant to Goons:

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2018/04/01/annual-battletech-april-fools-humor-battletech-products-that-never-came-to-market/

quote:

Attack of the Sentient Chickens Sourcebook. You thought that Far Country was a one-off fluke? No way. The chickens are back and this time they come piloting BattleMechs! Complete stats on the Chick Filet and Colonel Sander’s Battalions, and the new Fricassee, Hot Wing, Honey BBQ, and Clucker Class BattleMechs. New weapons include the extended range Kenny Rogers’ Roaster-Flamer. The chickens are back and this time it is war. Saddle up, it’s a finger-licking fight to the finish!

SQUAWK!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Obviously the game needs a mod to play a platoon of tanks.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

I kinda expect a longer range mod that would do 2 lances or something. I could see a mod where you could buy a support vehicle for your mech as a "mod" and have it tag along behind your mech like a PPC armed puppy.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I hope they add something like this eventually. It'd be cool as heck running a gang of overgunned peasant wagons making GBS threads on the enemy's fancy precious mechs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll admit I chuckled at most of these

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dreadwroth posted:

How could anyone forget the Charger's sweet cooldude shades?

The thing I love the most about Earthdawn is it takes place in the same timeline as Shadowrun.
Ahh that is really cool and I had not heard about that being a thing in HBS:BT before. Thank you.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

You know how some mechs have fists? Those fists give you bonus melee damage.
OH MY GOD NO WAY I HAD NO IDEA THAT IS SO COOL :vince::vince::vince:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

Aye, he's definitely learning. He's now at the same point I definitely went through in the Mechwarrior games: experimenting with the mech designs to make frankly rubbish mechs but at least based on thinking about the mechanics, even if the conclusions reached aren't correct. Like his single-PPC high-armour Griffin which he insists is a sniper mech but has less armament than a stock Panther and as much armour as his close-in brawler mechs. Dropping the LRM for heat efficiency and adding armour wasn't the worst idea but it's created an essentially dead weight mech compared to even the stock setup.

Yeah, it was annoying me that he just kept dropping more and more armor. That Blackjack he had that kept getting blown up and killing pilots? Yeah dude, if you put 2 AC5s and a bunch if other poo poo in it and no armor, I assume the AI is going to prioritize that target. But he went too far and totally neutered his Griffin, as you mention, plus he still brings along his Panther, so he has 2 mechs that all they have are 1 PPC. Then he talks about how the next mission was such a drawn out battle. Plus he seems way too adverse to getting into a short range scrap, melee is a complete afterthought and he really hasn't taken advantage of any mechs he could use as a back armor assassin.

That being said, I've really enjoyed watching him over the past few days and have seen every minute of his BattleTech streaming. Although it seems like he might be done with it, at least for now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, it was annoying me that he just kept dropping more and more armor. That Blackjack he had that kept getting blown up and killing pilots? Yeah dude, if you put 2 AC5s and a bunch if other poo poo in it and no armor, I assume the AI is going to prioritize that target. But he went too far and totally neutered his Griffin, as you mention, plus he still brings along his Panther, so he has 2 mechs that all they have are 1 PPC. Then he talks about how the next mission was such a drawn out battle. Plus he seems way too adverse to getting into a short range scrap, melee is a complete afterthought and he really hasn't taken advantage of any mechs he could use as a back armor assassin.

That being said, I've really enjoyed watching him over the past few days and have seen every minute of his BattleTech streaming. Although it seems like he might be done with it, at least for now.

As I said, his experience is of someone coming fresh to Battletech and all the core concepts of the game.

It's hard to be a streamer who isn't annoying, it's super hard to be a streamer learning the ropes of a game while not being annoying and yet he manages it somehow.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alchenar posted:

As I said, his experience is of someone coming fresh to Battletech and all the core concepts of the game.

It's hard to be a streamer who isn't annoying, it's super hard to be a streamer learning the ropes of a game while not being annoying and yet he manages it somehow.

I'm not saying any of this isn't true. I was just commenting for those who haven't seen the stream.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Cohh bringing an AC20 with 4 ammo :squawk:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

hooman posted:

Cohh bringing an AC20 with 4 ammo :squawk:

I don't see the problem, that's exactly enough ammo to take down an enemy lance. :smugdog:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

I don't see the problem, that's exactly enough ammo to take down an enemy lance. :smugdog:

What is this? A lance for Fire Ants?

EDIT: Bringing the same 4 ammo mech on a second mission. I find this guy very watchable but his learning experiences are almost art.

hooman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 3, 2018

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Obviously there's a learning curve but that just seems to defy common sense. Like, 4 ammo obviously means you get only four shots. Unless he never expects that mech to need to shoot more than 4 times, you'd want to bring more ammo...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Who cares, we're doing it live! :downsgun:

He probably knows it's a bad idea, but what fun would it be if he always did the smart thing? Which is what he has basically said that a few times.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What mech did he slap an AC/20 with only 4 shots onto?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Centurion. But I think 1 ammo = 5 shots? I don't remember. Not like that's a big difference.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
A centurion but it has 2 med lasers too so it really isn't that bad.

Edit: beaten

He's gotten to the stage where he's over sinking bc he wants to alpha every turn and slowly figuring out initiative and such.

Chance II fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 3, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Explorer posted:

Centurion. But I think 1 ammo = 5 shots? I don't remember. Not like that's a big difference.

4 in the bins and you always keep one in the chamber. :black101:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chance II posted:

He's gotten to the stage where he's over sinking bc he wants to alpha every turn and slowly figuring out initiative and such.

Is he doing more and I'm just too stupid to see it? Looks like it's all GoW today and he was still being super cautious about heat yesterday.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'm not current so he might not. I think he said he was moving on but has plans to revise it here and there until the game goes live.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Chance II posted:

A centurion but it has 2 med lasers too so it really isn't that bad.

Edit: beaten

So he turned it into Yen-Lo-Wang?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I mean it's better than what he did to his griffin.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chance II posted:

I mean it's better than what he did to his griffin.

This was just too good not to go back and get a screenshot of. Yes, this is the finished product that he took into 2+ missions.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
You could see the shell shock of blackjack after blackjack blowing up meeting the horror of twin ppc turrets colliding.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh hrmm, the Griffin has three Ballistic slots on that RT, you say? I doubt it could fit three AC/2s but I love to dream.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Pretty sure those are missile slots, the ballistics slot is the reticule. Otherwise that Griffin would have 0 missile slots which seems unlikely given the giant missile launcher on its shoulder.

Which incidentally I am sad to see doesn't get removed if you strip all the missile mounts out.

E: no maybe the reticule is support and the three pips on the far left is ballistics?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The RT has 3 Missile slots. The reticule is for Support weapons (Small Laser, Flamer and MG). Ballistic is three bullets stacked. It's kind of similar to the Missile icon but not that hard to tell them apart.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

removed AoD

Excuse you?!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I was so sad when he put 2 large lasers on his centurion and then didn't commit to it. 2 Large Lasers and some support weapons gets you a really nice all-range mech. Especially since those would be in the center torso and not in the arms he keeps getting blown off.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Pharnakes posted:

Pretty sure those are missile slots, the ballistics slot is the reticule. Otherwise that Griffin would have 0 missile slots which seems unlikely given the giant missile launcher on its shoulder.

Which incidentally I am sad to see doesn't get removed if you strip all the missile mounts out.

E: no maybe the reticule is support and the three pips on the far left is ballistics?

The model does reflect the removed missile launcher when he fields it in the next mission.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You mean the whole drum is removed? Not just the ports covered up?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

A.o.D. posted:

Excuse you?!

sorry, you weren't providing the right gameplay experience so you were cut for release

:rip:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think if anything they cut AoD because it wasn't good enough, not too good. Outside of the skirmish mode, DFA seems like a huge trap.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DatonKallandor posted:

I think if anything they cut AoD because it wasn't good enough, not too good. Outside of the skirmish mode, DFA seems like a huge trap.

Depends. It’s a high risk high reward tactic for lighter mechs that can really turn a battle. A shadow hawk can 1HKO an atlas with it for example.

On the other hand if you have an assault that can survive the exposure it can be a great way to bust an enemy’s line. Highlander is the classic example of a dfa viable assault. Even a victor can make good use of it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Every DFA costs cold hard cash, and makes you extremely vulnerable to being legged, which costs even more money. And since you're always limited to 4 mechs max and your opposition isn't, getting even one mech mission killed is a very large loss in firepower. Plus getting legged is a guaranteed pilot wound, which has it's own set of costs after the battle.

Hitting heads is also extremely rare if you're banking on that you might as well punch in melee or called shot the head with morale.

Sure in a skirmish, DFA your heart out, the costs don't matter and your opponent has the same amount of units you do.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You mean the whole drum is removed? Not just the ports covered up?

Yeah the whole drum is gone. I was paying close attention bc that kinda poo poo in games with customation gets me hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Makes sense. That’s what those models do when you add/temove weapons in MWO