Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tae posted:

I forgot how ugly the 00 is without the jetpack upgrade.

On the other hand, I hate the jetpack upgrade and think it makes a nice design ugly. I don't even mind the shoulder additions, it's the plane just hanging off the back that bothers me. I don't think it needs anything more on the shoulders either at the same time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

NotALizardman posted:

agreedo.

i have to admit, the mc getting tricked into turning on pvp by a literal loving troll was pretty great. all i could think of was runescape and trying to trick people into the wilderness.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was reminded of the wilderness in Runescape

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

This is honestly my take after Ep 1, but I'm willing to give it some latitude because it's an introductory episode and the prologue was quite good.

It is nice that they seem to have remembered that these shows are supposed to be love letters to the franchise, at least.

Yeah. It wasn't anything to write home about but it had super obscure references, the characters in the OP look interesting, and the original Build Fighters didn't get good until the episode with Zaku Amazing fight. So I'm optimistic.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fun episode. The 00 Diver is a bad suit though. And that's as a huge fan of the 00 Gundam, with or without the Raiser.

It's too similar to the 00, the extra poo poo on the shoulders makes an already top-heavy kit look even worse, and I'm not sure what's going on with the chest, but I hate it.

Also, not having the big rear end metal gun-sword-thing, the best part of Exia and 00, is inexcusable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There's definitely going to be changes, the GN drives get flattened and become mounts for twin swords.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Mordja posted:

1000 Master Asias parachute out of a plane, onto an island...

Schubalts posted:

And now I want PUBG, but in mobile suits. PUBG, but G Gundam's battle royale island stage.

These are sadly not very detailed screenshots, but they do seem to show some of the optional battle modes within the game.

Imgur

Your conversation reminded me of one of them... that's probably just there as an in-joke but who knows.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dark History Screening Party?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Victory Gundam second OP and ED are worse than the first.

Other than that, episodes 31-34 have been serviceable. I kinda enjoy the choreography of the tire suits and how they use the tire as an effective shield. The dragon mobile armor is also really cool. I feel like the rivalry between Üso and Katejina is a bit undersold for how often it impacts the plot.

Also drat Cronicle is pretty unconcerned about his girlfriend nearly burning up on entry into the atmosphere.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 4, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Divers' first episode was pretty good. Magee is fun and the two protagonists so far are pretty inoffensive. The villain of the episode was a little too kids show, but I'll give a pass. Hopefully the female characters won't be bad, but Nanami is an annoying retread of a woman selling gunpla who doesn't know anything about them (unless she's sandbagging and is actually the true secret final boss).

They do get what's important at least.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The important thing is that there's a 'Diver Fashion Show' mode and if there isn't at least one episode dedicated to the True Endgame of any MMO, I will be very sad.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
The show is made in a way that it should work with young audiences even better than original build fighters did really.

I really like that they went this vr semi-mmo way for the world, it allows for way more character interaction without artificial splits between gunpla battle and character moments and makes a lot of crazy stuff easier to work into it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheCoach posted:

The show is made in a way that it should work with young audiences even better than original build fighters did really.

I really like that they went this vr semi-mmo way for the world, it allows for way more character interaction without artificial splits between gunpla battle and character moments and makes a lot of crazy stuff easier to work into it.

I thought that was what made BF so drat funny; watching someone endure a dramatic death... and then you realize they're just slumped over the table or floor behind it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Divers' first episode was pretty good. Magee is fun and the two protagonists so far are pretty inoffensive. The villain of the episode was a little too kids show, but I'll give a pass. Hopefully the female characters won't be bad, but Nanami is an annoying retread of a woman selling gunpla who doesn't know anything about them (unless she's sandbagging and is actually the true secret final boss).

They do get what's important at least.

Some observant folks noticed Nanami and Magee pulling the exact same pose in the OP and in the episode itself. So I guess that answers that question, then (plus a few others, like why a high-ranked player would show up to bail them out just when they were about to get rolled by a con-man).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I want to go to Cucuruz Doan's Island BBQ.

Also to the Spring Gyan Festival. Gyanko would be proud.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was reminded of the wilderness in Runescape

i can't believe the main character falls for a gunpla trimming scam in the next episode.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Some observant folks noticed Nanami and Magee pulling the exact same pose in the OP and in the episode itself. So I guess that answers that question, then (plus a few others, like why a high-ranked player would show up to bail them out just when they were about to get rolled by a con-man).

Magee also referred to themselves as 'Onee-san' which means they're either actually an older woman or very very gay.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

Magee also referred to themselves as 'Onee-san' which means they're either actually an older woman or very very gay.

To be fair, either is pretty drat likely with Magee.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Imo it's cool that they added a Jojo character to a gundams.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
lol at the main character falling for the alt + f4 trick in the first episode

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

lol at the main character falling for the alt + f4 trick in the first episode

I mean you would have thought that even a middle schooler nowadays would know about not shutting down PvE in a zone.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I just watched the first ep on gundaminfo youtube. So here are some observations I made while watching.

When I saw that prologue a while ago, I thought it was the first half of episode 1, but it turns out not to be the case. Though this also means I'm a bit confused on the timeline. Episode 1 is canonically the first time Riku and Yukki go online. But they're already on the stands in the prologue. My best guess right now is that the prologue is actually a flash-forward and serves as the setup for the inevitable tournament arc.

Riku and the girl(can't remember if they mentioned her name) seem to possess superspeed. Those three guys she passed didn't move at all! Ok, the intention was probably just to show that she's good at soccer, but Riku consistently is shown to be a darn fast kid throughout the episode.

Riku finding the 00 may have been even more of a play of fate than Sekai finding the build burning in a random Dom. I mean there were sparkles leading the way and the tv-screen was glitching out. I was half expecting a ghostly hand to appear and point at the box. There may be a ghost in the network, or maybe it's the lonely spirit of abandoned plavsky particles.

The boys going WOOOH! when opening the box was a bit much, but stopping mid-build to fiddle with the moving parts and admiring the mechanics is totally me.

I wish I was even a tenth as good and fast at kitbashing as these kids always seem to be. I like the GM III more than the 00 right now, but that's just personal preference.

Now comes the main meat of the episode and show going forward. The Gunpla mmo.

First of all, I'm actually glad they're going virtual rather than plavsky. Sure, there are hints we're going to get our world/mmo-threatening event through AI-rampage, but I like the concept more. I never was a fan of the 'plavsky makes things real' aspect. After putting effort into a model kit, the last thing I want is to see it get trashed randomly. That stuff just breaks my heart. And my wallet. (Seriously, how many replacement kits and materials must the protags of the last two seasons have bought to keep fixing their half-melted, shattered gunpla?)

Most of the setup is done off-screen. Scanning the gunpla is still in, but I'm assuming that there is a more detailed configuration menu to go through in order to get the details right (such as weapons in concealed compartments like the GM III's knee-sabers or anything involving custom parts). There is also extensive avatar customisation, but of course Riku just settled for everyday clothes and a sword he's unlikely to ever use because screw wasting time on setting up his character when he can get into Gunpla Battle Nexus Online(!) five minutes sooner by skipping all that. Also it's almost a law that game avatars of main characters in a show always look as close to the user as possible, minus a different hair-colour and outfit. Ah well, at least Yukki has a nice hat and goggles. Makes me wonder how he'd use them though. Take off regular glasses first? Have goggles clip through regular glasses?

And speaking of the avatars. Apart from the usual Gundam character costumes, there are outfits (and bodies) more at home in a fantasy setting. This makes me think that either due to fan-demand or simply using a general open-source MMO-framework as the base, GBN expanded beyond just Gundam. I'm not complaining though. More variety is good.

Within five minutes they've been approached by a scammer and met their mentor (I think). Stupid scammer. Level 1 players never have money to spend on anything good. They're lucky if they can afford a few potions/repair kits.

"You can't skip the launch sequence." Now I want to see someone run down the launch tube just for giggles and to see if the launch sequence can be skipped, only to get knocked off his/her feet by the catapult platform racing down the track.

The tutorial mission is surprisingly brutal. Also more glitching. Ghost in the network-vibes again. Actually, said vibes kept coming all episode. There is a character who appears and disappears in such a way that I'm totally going for either unexpected AI-emergence or soul/ghost of person who died while logged in.

Kinda disapointed the gunpla disappears when exiting. Though maybe that's a separate option. The prologue had the one lady step outside her Clanche and stand on the cockpit hatch.

Horned dude had the worst acting ever. And Riku still fell for it. Like everyone else, I couldn't help but roll my eyes at that. Come on dude, no one is buying the stomach-ache routine. And read the bloody menu while you're pressing buttons. It's not as if you've been in GBN for so long you've memorized the interface.

While there is a ranking system involved, probably to avoid pvp dunking of veterans on newbies (with Riku stupidly activating the 'please stomp me good' option), it doesn't seem to have any real effect on stats. The Zedas took damage just as easily as the 00 and GM-III did. Also, pretty nice fight scene though I'd wished that the Zedas' palmguns left at least some of a mark. That spinning-slide the 00 did was great.

I like to imagine that horn-kid was stuck in the woods with a real SOS after his Zedas exploded. Except the protags were not going to fall for that trick again and flew off.

Overall. I like this show so far and will definitely watch the next episode at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There is a non-zero chance that girl isn't related to Aila and Reiji in some way and she's just crossing over with Plavsky magic from their world. Only this time she's accidentally wound up in the MMO instead.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought the op for build diver's wasn't that great, but after re watching it, it has grown me. I still miss Back-on but the new one's pretty good.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is a non-zero chance that girl isn't related to Aila and Reiji in some way and she's just crossing over with Plavsky magic from their world. Only this time she's accidentally wound up in the MMO instead.

My money's on computer construct, possibly the soul/consciousness of the network itself "Help me Riku, only you possess the pure gunpla heart that can save the network". My money's also on her being the one who hypnotized Riku at the Gundam Base.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RillAkBea posted:

My money's on computer construct, possibly the soul/consciousness of the network itself

We .hack now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I very much do not get the appeal of these Gunpla shows :frog:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

At its best it's just a pretty good tourney show with enjoyable characters bouncing off each other and developing their rivalries and shared passions and all that plus well-animated fights that don't have to worry about the combatants getting totally wrecked. If you're not into that over the at least nominally more serious narrative driven war/politics entries it's not weird for it not to be your thing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think she's either their kid or a self-aware AI, pretty much no other possibilities.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the action scenes and the music in the first two series at least, but yeah the rest of the package doesn't do much for me.

Like even the first Build Fighters struggled with some pretty basic character arcs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's shounen sports anime but plastic robot models. That's the appeal.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really hope this is a distant sequel to Build Fighters because I love that they spent all that time and money to make plastic move and then just decided that that was dumb and decided to just virtualize everything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Build Fighters was jam packed full of some of the best choreographed fight scenes in the entire Gundam franchise, and while the character writing wasn't incredibly deep and not every character had a good arc they managed to make most of the main cast endearing enough that they were very likeable. The reason why Build Fighters Try was so roundly disliked was that it lacked both the fantastic battle choreography and endearing characters so it was a very bland sports anime based around gunpla.

It can be a lot of fun to watch robots bang into each other in cool ways without there needing to be an overriding moral about the horror and futility of warfare or the depressing reality of the human condition.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 5, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Build fighters also had plenty of happy cameos for people. Chris and Bernie show up as background characters, so build fighters is the happy universe where we don't all die in the most destructive century of all time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Gunpla shows are great because it lets you enjoy the giant robot fighting without having to worry too much about newtypes or whatever the new word is for 'fancy human'.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ethiser posted:

I really hope this is a distant sequel to Build Fighters because I love that they spent all that time and money to make plastic move and then just decided that that was dumb and decided to just virtualize everything.

Cut to scene of dishevelled nils, bitterly complaining about wasting his life.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

I'm going with nanami being magee if only because this is an MMO and there is always someone that picks the opposite gender (its me). Being a super camp jojo character in game would own

Oh god, I can already imagine the whole gunpla is freedom thing applying here

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 5, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hellioning posted:

The Gunpla shows are great because it lets you enjoy the giant robot fighting without having to worry too much about newtypes or whatever the new word is for 'fancy human'.

One of the many reasons Gundam Wing is the best.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lol just loving lol if you don't think Treize represented some new evolutionary step of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raxivace posted:

Lol just loving lol if you don't think Treize represented some new evolutionary step of humanity.

He was a monster whose plan for world peace was as dumb as it was horrifying.