Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

The recent rumors I was hearing said summer. I hope they don't wait until Christmas for the Ork book. :(

Edit: If it's Christmas that's like 8-10 other Codexes to release before then if they keep going at the same rate they have been, which would be hilariously cruel to a major faction.

They did not explicitly say that the codex was with it, but if there is going to be a major release with a faction it probably will be when the codex release at least this year. Given what GW has been doing on codex releases it would not surprise me to see 1-2 more new factions releases prior to all the classic factions being finished off. I mean on the quantity of new stuff they have already done two new AoS factions this year and a 40k faction, and they have already seen that a continuous drip of new stuff sells well.

I am hoping that that they do some points fixes for orks in the big faq/balance thing, while I dont play orks when I looked through the index it seems like a bunch of units would be viable with a points discount as a hold over to the codex. :shrug:

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope kill team gets released soon. I’m excited to know more about it so i can start planning on what kits to get.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

I hope kill team gets released soon. I’m excited to know more about it so i can start planning on what kits to get.

My sentiments exactly, it'll finally push me into picking up some GSC. Their models are just so nice!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cainer posted:

My sentiments exactly, it'll finally push me into picking up some GSC. Their models are just so nice!
They have rules in Necromunda now.

Just sayin'. :getin:

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

They have rules in Necromunda now.

Just sayin'. :getin:

I still haven't checked out the new Necromunda. Been waiting on them bringing in House Cawdor so I can bring out the truest hero's of the Imperium, the Redemptionists!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Almost done with my test model. I have a huge burning hatred for doing edge highlighting for two reasons - shaky hands and impatience. Still have quite a few touchups to take care of. Painting the new Death Guard is extremely frustrating. I am starting to wonder if I can get by with just base coats + wash and calling it a day because I still have a lot to do before Nova.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

R0ckfish posted:

They did not explicitly say that the codex was with it, but if there is going to be a major release with a faction it probably will be when the codex release at least this year. Given what GW has been doing on codex releases it would not surprise me to see 1-2 more new factions releases prior to all the classic factions being finished off. I mean on the quantity of new stuff they have already done two new AoS factions this year and a 40k faction, and they have already seen that a continuous drip of new stuff sells well.

I am hoping that that they do some points fixes for orks in the big faq/balance thing, while I dont play orks when I looked through the index it seems like a bunch of units would be viable with a points discount as a hold over to the codex. :shrug:

The book will be here by July, guaranteed. They only have GSC, Orks and Space Wolves left from the major factions, plus potentially Ynnari/Renegade Knights/Inquisition. There's no way they're going to delay Orks to December on that basis.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I have a feeling that there's a good reason why there were no pictures of the upcoming sisters of battle. I'd like to hope that the main storyline is going to push a black crusade right up to the front door of Earth, and there's going to be a point where things are so lovely that someone pushes the big red button on the Emperor's throne. If you think about characters like Celestine being (for all practical purposes) a demon prince, perhaps a revamp of the Ministorum and Adeptus Sororitas would have so many plot spoilers that it would take til 2019 before you could show anything.

Or GW didn't properly prepare any press materials.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kill Team kind of makes me want a unit of Saturnine termie models. They're so dumb they wrap around into awesome territory for me, but not enough to warrant an entire army.

Kind of surprised noone's attempted a 3rd party model of them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

xutech posted:

I have a feeling that there's a good reason why there were no pictures of the upcoming sisters of battle. I'd like to hope that the main storyline is going to push a black crusade right up to the front door of Earth, and there's going to be a point where things are so lovely that someone pushes the big red button on the Emperor's throne. If you think about characters like Celestine being (for all practical purposes) a demon prince, perhaps a revamp of the Ministorum and Adeptus Sororitas would have so many plot spoilers that it would take til 2019 before you could show anything.

Or GW didn't properly prepare any press materials.

I'm hoping it's the former because that sounds far more interesting.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
You'd think they'd have something to show given the three years turn around time on new minis.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

DancingShade posted:

I'm hoping it's the former because that sounds far more interesting.
Two years ago I would've replied with "which means it's the latter, because GW" with 100% certainty.

Now I'm only 90% certain it's the latter.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artum posted:

You'd think they'd have something to show given the three years turn around time on new minis.

Well the Shieldwolf not-Sisters miniatures will be available to buy late October 2018 so GW has until then to convince me that I shouldn't buy a whole ton of those to pad out my Custodes with power armored bullet catcher allies.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My absolute favourite part of 40k is extremely gritty and realistic artwork portraying incredibly dumb things.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. A friend decided not to hit up a GW tournament because he's got the female Victorian Miniatures Guards(wo)men for nearly half his models and was worried he might look at somebody funny.

I’m a bit worried about this. I’m playing in the London GT Shadespire event and signed up months ago. It’s now been officially recognised as a Grand Clash, and my Sigmar Warband has 3rd party heads. If I’m excluded as a result I’m going to stage a dirty protest.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Endman posted:

My absolute favourite part of 40k is extremely gritty and realistic artwork portraying incredibly dumb things.

A million times this.

Corrode posted:

The book will be here by July, guaranteed. They only have GSC, Orks and Space Wolves left from the major factions, plus potentially Ynnari/Renegade Knights/Inquisition. There's no way they're going to delay Orks to December on that basis.

If they don't do something for Orktober then they are criminally insane.

Like release the book in July, follow with a nid vs ork forgebane style Octarius War box set in August, follow that with a worldwide Orktober campaign.

Of course this won't happen in favour of marine release #5502. Which I will end up buying. :negative:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Supposedly hive tyrants are 1 per detachment and 20pts more expensive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If we do get this hypothetical big Ork release, I'm trying to think what I'd like out of it. A new model for a Warboss in Mega-Armor. Kidding, I say 'new' but mean 'any.' (Kromlech makes a nice 3P version. It's about as big as a Dreadnought.) New Warbuggies/traks models. Tankbustas and Kommandos. I feel like I'm missing something, but whatever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

If we do get this hypothetical big Ork release, I'm trying to think what I'd like out of it. A new model for a Warboss in Mega-Armor. Kidding, I say 'new' but mean 'any.' (Kromlech makes a nice 3P version. It's about as big as a Dreadnought.) New Warbuggies/traks models. Tankbustas and Kommandos. I feel like I'm missing something, but whatever.

Looted custodian allarus terminator armor with ork arms & head? Arms ripped off a killer kan or something?

Tell people it's looted emperor's armor and a freebooter stole it from the imperial palace to win a large bet of teef.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I'm looking forward to new kommandos and tankbustas.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Nob bikers and Warboss on a bike. Actually just the ability to put every character on a bike.

Also release a new deffkopta kit. The assault on black reach ones are no longer in production.

Aside from that id like a plastic squiggoth.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just hope their rules have some fun randomness to them but not so much that they’re a total chore to play.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I just hope their rules have some fun randomness to them but not so much that they’re a total chore to play.

8th edition Whfb Skaven is the level of randomness im looking for. Enough that its fun but not enough that it precludes you from winning games.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Better trukks would be nice. More weirdboy shenanigans always a plus.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'd like to see Blood Axes be something more than "Let's all cosplay The Guns of Navarone!" and for there to be a Battlewagon-based build that's viable.

:shrug:

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Theoretically if someone was interested in picking up Dark Eldar how would you rate the Start Collecting boxes? Is grabbing one (or more?) of the older boxes before it disappears worthwhile?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Blood Axes should be able to loot the Imperium keyword.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Artum posted:

Supposedly hive tyrants are 1 per detachment and 20pts more expensive.

I'm fine with this. My tournament list only had three anyway, so now I just gotta make some detachment adjustments.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Master Twig posted:

I'm fine with this. My tournament list only had three anyway, so now I just gotta make some detachment adjustments.

A blanket 1 per detachment (and a skitarii prime) for hq choices does increasingly seem like a good idea.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Harkano posted:

Theoretically if someone was interested in picking up Dark Eldar how would you rate the Start Collecting boxes? Is grabbing one (or more?) of the older boxes before it disappears worthwhile?

The new one looks better value now that it looks like Wyches and jetbikes are going to be not-poo poo. The old one has a bunch of good bread and butter units - Raiders are a thing you'll almost definitely need, and Warrior bodies are valuable even if they end up being Trueborn instead. Both are fine deals although it's hard to tell exactly how they compare without knowing what the new book is going to do to the faction.

AnEdgelord posted:

8th edition Whfb Skaven is the level of randomness im looking for. Enough that its fun but not enough that it precludes you from winning games.

Agree. There's "interesting emergent gameplay" randomness and "the army plays itself" randomness and way too often Greenskins in both universes have been based around the latter rather than the former. The 4th ed book wasn't too bad for this, although it had pretty horrible internal balance.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

Blood Axes should be able to loot the Imperium keyword.

Quoted because I am down as gently caress.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harkano posted:

The kabalites box is great and gives you a lot of what you need. A full squad of kabalites that can ride in a raider (alternatively, run nine kabalites to make room for the archon at the cost of a heavy weapon), an archon and a minimum squad of reavers for harassment. All of the units in it have access to some form of darklight weapon and have a lot of anti-infantry fire, as well. The reavers are decent in combat, too. (Although, keywords might gently caress things up here :ohdear:)

The wyches box is less versatile but is still alright. Your only sources of anti-tank are darklight pistols and a blaster. We don't know if they have haywire 'nades again (probably wishful thinking) but there's great anti-infantry coming out of the venom. If you take a particular cult and choose your drugs, those wyches will be strength five in combat, however, a full squad will be legging it the entire game. Given they have extra attacks now, you could argue for a minimum squad in the venom to make them more survivable.

Personally, i like the kabalite box more, if only for the versatility. If you intend to get in close and stabby then, the wyches would be for you.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Corrode posted:

The new one looks better value now that it looks like Wyches and jetbikes are going to be not-poo poo. The old one has a bunch of good bread and butter units - Raiders are a thing you'll almost definitely need, and Warrior bodies are valuable even if they end up being Trueborn instead. Both are fine deals although it's hard to tell exactly how they compare without knowing what the new book is going to do to the faction.

Agree. There's "interesting emergent gameplay" randomness and "the army plays itself" randomness and way too often Greenskins in both universes have been based around the latter rather than the former. The 4th ed book wasn't too bad for this, although it had pretty horrible internal balance.

Thanks.

Also, I wish random Ork stuff like the Bubble Chucka was at least a decent choice compared to the KMK (which it is also somehow more expensive than).

Here's hoping for a reason to run not X*30 boyz!

Edit :

Irate Tree posted:

The kabalites box is great and gives you a lot of what you need. A full squad of kabalites that can ride in a raider (alternatively, run nine kabalites to make room for the archon at the cost of a heavy weapon), an archon and a minimum squad of reavers for harassment. All of the units in it have access to some form of darklight weapon and have a lot of anti-infantry fire, as well. The reavers are decent in combat, too. (Although, keywords might gently caress things up here :ohdear:)

The wyches box is less versatile but is still alright. Your only sources of anti-tank are darklight pistols and a blaster. We don't know if they have haywire 'nades again (probably wishful thinking) but there's great anti-infantry coming out of the venom. If you take a particular cult and choose your drugs, those wyches will be strength five in combat, however, a full squad will be legging it the entire game. Given they have extra attacks now, you could argue for a minimum squad in the venom to make them more survivable.

Personally, i like the kabalite box more, if only for the versatility. If you intend to get in close and stabby then, the wyches would be for you.

Also thanks. I'll see if I can grab one of the older ones before it goes. Seems like on GW have them in stock in the UK.

Harkano fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 4, 2018

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Corrode posted:

Remember when Orks went 8.5 years without a codex? Then they went another 6.5 and didn't have one for two editions? Good times.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
The rumours I have heard all point to Orks getting a big release. They may give a codex then a campaign book at Christmas (and the everyone bitches about two books) or they may do one super big release in the push for Christmas.

I don't play competitively and do have a painting backlog. I also know we are getting close to the end of the no/limited new model codexes and stuff like Knights and GC should get more models (some of which have been seen for the knights).

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
The Gangs of Commoragh (?) game is also good value for DE models.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
And a really good game as well.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Big Guns. The Kannon and Lobba were so expensive that I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the actual models, and you can't even buy them on the GW site anymore as of about a year ago.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just realized that Prime Ork is a play on words of Primarch.

I'm slow guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AnEdgelord posted:

Nob bikers and Warboss on a bike. Actually just the ability to put every character on a bike.

While there's not a plastic Warboss kit (save for what's his name that I don't think they make anymore - the one with the power klaw and attack squig) but I always wondered how hard it would be to take the Nob box and some Bikers and just convert your own Nob Bikers.

quote:

Also release a new deffkopta kit. The assault on black reach ones are no longer in production.

Good catch. Also on new Big Gunz models.

Harkano posted:

Yeah, it's what I'm doing. The first SC box has an Archon, 10 Warriors, a Raider and 3 Reavers and the new one will have a Succubus, 10 Wyches, a Venom and 3 more Jetbikes. Given the new Drukhari thing of having multiple Patrol detachments it works out pretty well and I think all the units are ones you'll at the least want eventually.