Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Lol, that's boring. Tbh, the only model from FW that fits the "cultist" theme is the Malefic Lord/Rogue Psyker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wow that's seriously just the DV boxed set guys plus a chaos spawn.

Now I feel silly for converting that guy to have a harpoon launcher.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Wow, that equipment list is extremely underwhelming.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Just ignore the equipment list.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, it seems like a low effort set of rules for using the DV cultist models in games. What we all wanted was a properly fleshed out gang with a workable set of equipment and appropriate unique bonuses for chaos stuff, with a corresponding cost or drawback.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Spawn are a really odd choice, given that they are a 40k-scale threat and their models are complete trash.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yeah, it seems like a low effort set of rules for using the DV cultist models in games. What we all wanted was a properly fleshed out gang with a workable set of equipment and appropriate unique bonuses for chaos stuff, with a corresponding cost or drawback.

You wanted that for the low price of $WhiteDwarf and with the possibility of giving 3rd party manyfacturers a cent or two via rules for unreleased models? Oh you

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

moths posted:

Spawn are a really odd choice, given that they are a 40k-scale threat and their models are complete trash.

Complete trash and at $50 for 2, almost as expensive per model as an entire base gang. Plus, they're on 50mm loving bases, and totally out of scale with Necromunda terrain. I don't know how they're even supposed to work on the boards.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'll probably end up adding some spawn bits to a cultist and gluing him to a 32mm base.

I really don't know what to do for a witch that would have the new plastic cultist aesthetic. Maybe a head swap?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

Just ignore the equipment list.
This. We're going to just use the standard list in our group in order to allow Legacy models to be used without wracking our brains trying to find analogous weapons.

moths posted:

I'll probably end up adding some spawn bits to a cultist and gluing him to a 32mm base.
Yeah, Spawn doesn't necessarily mean the new kit. The max Strength a Spawn gets is 5, and that's the equivalent of a GS Aberrant, which is also on a 32mm base. Just use an equivalent sized model and maybe slap some tentacles or poo poo on it.

Stop freaking the gently caress out, people.

moths posted:

I really don't know what to do for a witch that would have the new plastic cultist aesthetic. Maybe a head swap?
I'd say that the dude from DV with the star carved into his chest would be good, but he's more of a leader type. Maybe the Cawdor-guy with the upraised axe?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 3, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oops, I bet that guy was what they intended to be used as a witch. Chest star shotgun boss is definitely the leader.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Holy hell. I just looked on eBay at the prices for the DV cultists, and people are paying $75 for them. I remember when they were going for next to nothing...

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yeah, it's pretty stupid to make rules for models that you can't even get anymore.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

Holy hell. I just looked on eBay at the prices for the DV cultists, and people are paying $75 for them. I remember when they were going for next to nothing...

Yeah, it's pretty stupid to make rules for models that you can't even get anymore.

They still sell a box of 5 DV cultists on the site for $10. You just can't get the special/heavy weapons or leaders

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

They still sell a box of 5 DV cultists on the site for $10. You just can't get the special/heavy weapons or leaders

Which are unfortunately the important part. I think I'm using a Bones tiefling as my leader.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

They farted out the rules in a weekend or smth, which wouldn't be surprising.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

This. We're going to just use the standard list in our group in order to allow Legacy models to be used without wracking our brains trying to find analogous weapons.

Yeah, Spawn doesn't necessarily mean the new kit. The max Strength a Spawn gets is 5, and that's the equivalent of a GS Aberrant, which is also on a 32mm base. Just use an equivalent model and maybe slap some tentacles or poo poo on it.

Stop freaking the gently caress out, people.

I'd say that the dude from DV with the star carved into his chest would be good, but he's more of a leader type. Maybe the Cawdor-guy with the upraised axe?

I think that would be a pretty ideal model, especially if you clipped the head off the axe and put on some sort of more magic-staffy bit. Alternatively, I'm sure there must be some OOP GW chaos sorcerer types (or the FW renegade psyker models) which lack any power armour or heavy plate armour.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone found a blank NM tactics card template? I'd like to make a set of cards for my group.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I played an intro game of Necromunda tonight against a mate, showing him the new rules. This is the kind of guy who generally prefers to win than lose - he's a sporting player, but highly competitive at most games. For context, he brought his old rules necromunda gang, and it was Van Saar, with a leader with plasma gun, 2 heavy stubbers, and everyone else having a lasgun. As it happens luck went against me toward the end and he won, which is probably a good thing as he walked away very happy with the new rules. That sounds negative but he is actually a good guy to play against. Some highlights:

- we both used 6 models, including a leader and a heavy stubber. We also both spread out more than is probably wise, with little use of group activations.
- we were not as impressed with heavy stubbers, inability to move on top of poor range modifiers makes you more likely to just miss all game than anything else, plus being pinned means losing your chance to shoot next round.
- that said, toward the end game his heavy stubber fired into combat, nailing my leader for the maximum 6 hits! Put him down in one go.
- plasma guns are terrific, for some reason they have a +2 modifier at 12" or less, which is better than any other weapon. Paired with rapid fire and (in his leaders case) the fast shot skill, he was hitting models in cover on a 2+, potentially for multiple hits.
- while his leader gunned down several models, mine charged into combat and failed completely, either not wounding or flesh wounding until he was put down (see above). This was still my best tactical option, since his bolt gun ran dry on the first shot!

A++, my friend very impressed with the new rules, would play again.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone found a blank NM tactics card template? I'd like to make a set of cards for my group.

Out of interest, do you mean to print off all the cards you want to use (rather than buying from multiple sources) or are you considering devising your own tactics related to your group's background?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think Heavy Stubbers are dreadful in the Zone Mortalis version of the game, unless you get yourself a suspensor or Bulging Biceps, or have the GSC extra arm upgrade. It’s too often the case that you have to manoeuvre to get a shot, so due to Unwieldy you are rarely going to be able to.

They will be worth it in the 3D game, as you’ll have much larger fields of fire. Also if you get the Overwatch skill.

Did your Van Saar friend play the old ‘Munda? A gang setup like that suggests he has some preconceptions formed from the old game. It’s for your ongoing opportunities to play this game that he won, as I read a story about someone trying something like this, getting hosed, and hating the game.

Along those lines two of my group have had very negative first responses to Neocromunda. One got completely diced and pretty much hated his game, but is coming round to it. The other was just pissing and moaning the entire time. He can be a grumpy sod but rarely so negative. I think he’s giving it another try and hopefully he’ll be in a better mood this time!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Agree on heavy stubbers in ZM. In this case we were playing on a big 3d board, so not bad for them really. But I think in a lot of cases I would rather have a decent range basic weapon, which offers the possibility to gain +1 to hit with close range and is actually more accurate at 20-24"! Overwatch is a good skill but not even available to van saar or orlocks.

Agree its always much better when luck goes to a new player during an intro. Seems so many times teaching infinity I've explained the best course of action, why the odds are favourable etc, then rolled a critical against the new player anyway, meaning none of the lessons are internalised and people can get salty. Even the best of us see winning rolls as 'works as intended' and losing rolls as 'bad luck' in most cases.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Genghis Cohen posted:

Out of interest, do you mean to print off all the cards you want to use (rather than buying from multiple sources) or are you considering devising your own tactics related to your group's background?
More the former. My group is not going to spend money on new gangs or cards. At least with the Reddit rules compilation I can get them to play the new version, but I'd like to have cards for the full experience. I'm sure I could do a list and roll off for tactics, but I'd prefer to just do it the easy way.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

More the former. My group is not going to spend money on new gangs or cards. At least with the Reddit rules compilation I can get them to play the new version, but I'd like to have cards for the full experience. I'm sure I could do a list and roll off for tactics, but I'd prefer to just do it the easy way.

Seems like a good idea. While I like the production values and feel of the official books for learning the game, the reddit made all-in-one document is massively easier for referencing during a game. Same for cards, it's quite irritating that there isn't a central resource with every option.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Have there been any updates on warhammer fantasy role play 4e?

Also, anyone know where I might be able to score some Man O War models (or something similar)?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

4e is debuting at some UK convention in June. https://grimandperilous.com/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-fourth-edition-officially-releasing-at-uk-games-expo-june-1-3rd/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Have there been any updates on warhammer fantasy role play 4e?

Also, anyone know where I might be able to score some Man O War models (or something similar)?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weirdocollector/gravetides-an-undead-fleet-for-naval-fantasy-warga/description

There are a couple of recasters out there doing resin ships.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Manowar shows up fairly regularly on the Oldhammer Facebook group.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Will it be akin to 2nd ed or 3rd ed? Those custom dice of 3rd looked fiddly as hell.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Supposedly closer to 2e.

3e was great but it's like FFG went out of their way to intimidate people with the presentation.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
X-post

Hustlin Floh posted:

Not the best pic, but my Handsome Blood Bowl Boys are coming along. Just need numbers and bases.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice, Floh!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I need to get back into painting my stuff. I moved and my crap has been packed up for a while. And I've forgotten how I want to paint stuff.

I need to assemble my Necromunda box. I'm going to paint my Escher like my old Escher from the 90s. I should probably start painting there since it'll be fine if they look a little crap. Then they'll match my gang from high school better.

I want to paint the Goliaths with caution stripes and neon orange in honor of The Wrecking Crew, the gang in our old Cyberpunk 2020 game that the GM busted out when he was tired of running that game. It party wiped us.

I've also got an old school Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl team to paint. I think I was going to paint them in turquoise and copper, maybe with grey cloth? All I have painted so far is some skin on the hobgoblins since I decided those would be kind of a yellow-orange like old school D&D hobgoblins. Chaos Dwarfs look really nice in red and gold but I've got a primarily red Skorne Army for WarMachine/Hordes and I want to mix it up. I also need to find some models for my head coach, assistant coach and cheerleaders.

Then I've got a Guild Ball team to finish, I want to build Genestealer Cult Necromunda gang, and I've got some other stuff hanging around.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cross postin'

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Finally finished my Stormcast Eternals for Shadespire (except for a spot i stupidly missed on the leader).

Now on to Skaven.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Holy poo poo, I think I've figured out my new NM project: Gang "Compliment cards."

More here and here

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Do they have football in 40k?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

glitchkrieg posted:

Do they have football in 40k?

Maybe, but it'd be mercifully free of "Casuals" as all the chavs would be in the penal battalions.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Or more likely, completely outclassed at their own game by Orks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Talisman is free in the Play store today. It's got some bugs, and the AI is said to be pretty bad, but it's got good reviews for the most part.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

berzerkmonkey posted:

Talisman is free in the Play store today. It's got some bugs, and the AI is said to be pretty bad, but it's got good reviews for the most part.

you've gotta kinda figure out the UI a little bit for some of the "use in response to something" spells and items and whatnot, but it speeds the game up a whole lot and the AI isn't too bad for most characters, so long as you're playing with other people

if you get the season pass it turns every single expansion on by default which is hilarious

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Talisman barely needs an AI or a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
How big is your local tabletop Blood Bowl league? Since the 2016 edition release, our local league has been growing by leaps and bounds, our first season only had 12 coaches and our current season (3rd) which is currently in playoffs featured 30 different players.

I'm trying to gauge how we measure up against the rest of the Blood Bowl playing world.