Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/983132384378933248

Pruitt made his final mistake, shady real estate transactions are his boss's thing.

farraday fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

Okay there were some comically stupid derails, you're right there.

Call it a knack for pattern recognition but after posting in a community for a long enough period of time (usually about 6 months) you just tend to get a sense of how things go and the cycle of it all. What stretches of posts to pay attention to and engage with people on and when it's time to bail for a bit, that sort of thing. I got caught off guard a lot the first couple months in here because I hadn't figured out the threads and various regulars quirks quite yet but I think I'm there now. :)

farraday posted:

Pruitt made his final mistake, shady real estate transactions are his boss's thing.

Not so sure but if this isn't the most outright corrupt and power abusing administration since the Grant one way back in the 1800's I'd be incredibly surprised.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 9, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

Call it a knack for pattern recognition but after posting in a community for a long enough period of time (usually about 6 months) you just tend to get a sense of how things go, what stretches of posts to pay attention to and engage with people on and when it's time to bail for a bit. I got caught off guard a lot the first couple months in here because I hadn't figured out the threads and various regulars quirks quite yet but I think I'm there now. :)

Here, I can encapsulate the best (worst) one, check this out.

"Hey you guys.......... Crapitalism." :smug:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

farraday posted:

He actually made money on it tho.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

withak posted:

He actually made money on it tho.

Did he also roll it back into an investment property to avoid short term capital gains?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lycus posted:

How did fascism become so popular in Hungary during the last decade?

Hungary doesn't exactly have a long and storied history of liberal democracy.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Weren’t they on the front lines of the Syrian migration ?

bieber the creator
Sep 24, 2003

craving wonton soup irl
https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/982750889298550787

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lycus posted:

Humans are trash.

This is our nature. Our Normal.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

farraday posted:

quote:

In 2010, an affiliate of Rialto Capital Management (RCM), a company based in Miami, sued a developer named Keith Lyon in Arizona federal court for defaulting on a $3.6 million loan that Lyon had guaranteed in 2007 with a number of Las Vegas and Tulsa properties. RCM won a $2 million judgment against Lyon and other defendants on Aug. 25, 2011.

Lyon then apparently vanished, after transferring 27 of those properties in 2009 to entities controlled by a woman named Pamela Rex (formerly Pamela Rooks), a fitness model who had lived with Lyon from 1998 to 2008.

RCM then sued Rex for fraud under the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act, seeking $4.7 million in damages, claiming that Lyon had fraudulently transferred the properties and other assets worth $7.5 million to Rex for no monetary payment.

One of those properties was at 1801 Forrest Drive in Tulsa, which was transferred to the Rooks Trust, an entity solely controlled by Pamela Rex. Pruitt bought the vacant lot from the Rooks Trust on Aug. 16, 2011 — just 10 days before the federal court judgment against Lyons — for $415,000.

Four months later, on Dec. 22, 2011, Pruitt sold the property for $485,000 — a $70,000 profit — to a previously unknown company called KNJ Construction, LLC. That entity was set up by Kevin Hern[, the campaign donor] two days before the sale and has been inactive ever since.

Evidence suggests that Pruitt planned the quick turnaround on the property in advance. On Sept. 1, 2011, about two weeks after the purchase, Pruitt and his wife took out a short-term, 15-month mortgage from Security Bank in Tulsa. Hern built a luxury house on the property after purchasing it from Pruitt, and sold it 18 months later for $1.7 million.

While this transaction raises numerous questions, there is nothing on the face of these documents that is clearly illegal. If any of the parties involved knowingly arranged for a preferential transfer to avoid a court judgment, however, that would imply significant legal issues. The same would be true of any pre-arranged deal to flip the property in a way intended to provide Pruitt, who was then Oklahoma's top law enforcement official, with a quick windfall profit.

Probably just a series of coincidences.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Remember when Trump said he could kill someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any supporters?

He was right

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Peven Stan posted:

This is a pretty bad precedent to set. Vote for milquetoast EU neoliberalism or face the consequences can just as easily be applied to a left regime somewhere in Europe

Not really, unless you believe authoritarianism is a necessary and desirable part of a leftist government.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trazz posted:

Remember when Trump said he could kill someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any supporters?

He was right

He can't lose supporters but he can make many more enemies.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Peven Stan posted:

This is a pretty bad precedent to set. Vote for milquetoast EU neoliberalism or face the consequences can just as easily be applied to a left regime somewhere in Europe

You know for a fact that the only time they'll actually institute that kind of rule is if there was an honest to god communist regime in one of these countries.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lycus posted:

Dr. Prime Minister Sebastian Gorka.

Kale
May 14, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

Here, I can encapsulate the best (worst) one, check this out.

Hey you guys.......... Crapitalism. :smug:

Oh I figured that was a pretty safe bet. It's always something specifically about race relations, rich vs. poor lifestyles (guillotine etc.) us vs. them type stuff that is actually pretty pertinent to real topical issues of the day and could be fodder for exchanging ideas, but tends to come across as rendered rather like a fluff topic as a result of the oft black and white approach that gets taken here. It doesn't help that a lot of people like to take the stance that there's one exact right view on these issues and anything else is a completely unwelcome idea. This flashpoint tends to be where the derails come in as poo poo tends to get really heated really fast and then you get the 1 guy trying to articulate a position against a dozen or so others just completely making GBS threads on them and making poo poo personal for pages and pages with no headway being made in the conversation.

It's a very familiar cycle at this point and arguably a cornerstone of the internet's discourse in the Trump era. There's so many communities I've just flat out left in the last year and a half because I just can't stand the politicization of everything in pop culture and just having to view so much poo poo via the lens of the culture war. Even people that seem to have views I would generally agree with I have a hard time engaging with and can tell that they've never cared about politics before it became the cool thing to hate Trump. That and they don't seem to specifically know why they hate Trump (there's lot of valid reasons to pick from too), it's just in vogue and they'll sure as hell want to let you know about it constantly and seem to seek out people they figure might have Trumpesque views to clash with on social media.

A recent example is the so-called Far Cry 5 controversy. Just....dumb, why would a game that's probably been in development for years anyway and is about some David Koresh like figures insurrection tackle why Trump and Republicans tend to suck anyway? At least that one finally seems to have gotten some to finally ask if maybe they're going around in circles. Picking up and waging their culture war from pop culture flash point to pop culture flash point to the annoyance of others who just want to enjoy those things without having to worry specifically about how it plays to Trump. Frankly if pop culture actively made everything about a referendum on Trumpism I'd say that'd be a sign that he's winning his culture war more than anything but good luck getting most people to see it that way either. :sigh:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
PETA did a thing, and for once I won't roll my eyes at it.

quote:

“As President Trump deploys National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to help keep asylum-seekers out, PETA is warning people about the presence of ‘undesirables’ much closer to home and pointing the finger at trophy hunter Donald Trump Jr.,” the organization said in a press release on Friday.

Billboards in El Paso and Laredo. Shine on, you crazy vegans.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

farraday posted:

The trail of slime behind Pruitt is almost impressive in its magnitude. The inept fucker could be slashing and burning the EPA for another 30 months before transitioning into a cushy Exxon job for a decade. Instead he decided to wet his beak at every possible opportunity and will be an exiled pariah angling for a pardon within a few weeks time.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Edit: not entirely fair.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kale posted:

Oh ... :sigh:

Congratulations on avoiding contributing to derails in the Trump Thread. It's certainly very unfair when people get annoyed at a someone who is just trying to articulate their position in good faith.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

I like you, man, but this is why I bought you that title. And I was thinking about changing it! :lofty: ALAS.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 9, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/983140987760467968

Oh boy who's loving around in Syria now.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 9, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/983140987760467968

Oh boy who's loving around in Syria now.

And McMaster is out

In a bittersweet departure, H.R. McMaster left his role as national security adviser at odds with the president's policy, but without public animosity https://t.co/OuVCfealbn

Yeah, Lebanon's on the west border. it's like 4 AM there, who the hell is that?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

KickerOfMice posted:

Yeah, Lebanon's on the west border. it's like 4 AM there, who the hell is that?

Right? Would the US be flying over Lebanon?

Kale
May 14, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

I like you, man, but this is why I bought you that title. And I was thinking about changing it! :lofty:

It's cool man, I just don't think you entirely get where I'm at about it all and that if you could literally see my thought process it'd click about what I tend to be getting at times and what I'm not, but because of the oft heated nature of the internet and anonymity at all may very well come across that way. I just think I tend to have a very different perspective on life (for example I just don't seem to get offended by people's opinions or outlooks so much as actions but I know a lot of people do which leads to a lot of perspective clashes at times) then just about anyone else I know that comes across as condescending or arrogant to some since I have a tendency to call it how I see it even if I know it's not going to be the most popular opinion around. The thread has plenty of highlights and moments of great content and discussions, but the slap fights and derails over us vs. them type issues aren't one of them to me and it just isn't going to change, which is why typically I just try to ignore it and call it a sort of Trump Thread gonna Trump Thread type affair.

Other than that sometimes one just grows weary when they can see something has started going in circles. Hence the sigh emoticon as an attempt to convey said weariness at times.

Stickman posted:

Congratulations on avoiding contributing to derails in the Trump Thread. It's certainly very unfair when people get annoyed at a someone who is just trying to articulate their position in good faith.

See a lot of the time I would say good faith posting vs. bad faith posting is just a matter of opinion or perspective. Sometimes it's definitely objectively the case when somebody is posting in bad faith but their time here doesn't tend to last very long thankfully.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 9, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/983143317889323008

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

enraged_camel posted:

Hungary just reelected its authoritarian leader for a third term.

Not only that, he gained supermajority, so now he can rewrite the constitution as he sees fit.

RIP European Union lol

Unfortunately this was expected as the other major party running against them is even worse.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ah yes Golf, the only thing I can be sure for certain Trump actually gives a poo poo about for real that doesn't just have his name on it. This is literally the most relatable and genuine sounding tweet I've seen from the guy in ages where he isn't trying to stir the pot on some political issue and just talking about a subject that everyday people might actually give a poo poo about.

e: The drawback of this for his cult of personality of course is that it just instantly outed a good chunk of his followers who are bots for good since a bunch of top replies are just propaganda gifs that have absolutely nothing at all to do with Golf or Reed's win. If twitter doesn't just instantly delete their accounts now that it's bleedingly obvious it's just another reason to me why twitter is utter crap. Donna Warren is not a real person :lol:

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 9, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Real Trump tweet.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/442977513091117056

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Okay, so HE probably doesn't know what's going on over Lebanon. It's executive time.

e- No more nerve gas plz/thx.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I wonder what easy d is going to do after his presidency? By then he'll have lost every shred of dignity and be a pariah. The Republican party will treat him like a leper and of he isn't facing jail time he'll definitely have problems traveling anywhere.

Our am I forgetting some sort of arcane procedural :decorum: afforded to former presidents by jurisprudential Fiat by some rear end in a top hat journalist like Maggie Haberman?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He is going to play golf and tweet every day. No world travel required.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Seriously Jesus Christ is Trump's twitter profile just a loving mess. It's somehow more stark when the guys talking about golf and it's the exact same propaganda poo poo reply thread and he might as well be talking about one of his stupid political beefs again. I don't know how Twitter can still justify it as important must hear news when it literally reads like a political propaganda page all the time. He clearly has bots to tweet generic support messages for him as well as ones that have been set up to tweet anti-trump messages at every post he makes too. One of them is even just tweeting the exact same meme over and over too of some kid doing a cartwheel that has nothing to do with anything whatsoever.

What's the point and what good could a president that's this polarizing anyway? Like it brings me back to why America seemed to think this would be a good idea back in 2016. Take away all the bad policies that don't actually help people so much as allow him to settle personal scores and it'd still be a mess having a president that 34% of Americans have for some reason sworn unconditional fealty too and what has to be at least 50% of Americans absolutely cannot stand and utterly loathe.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 9, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kale this is in no way a commentary on the content of your posts positive or negative. But why is every single one of them an essay?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I wonder what easy d is going to do after his presidency?

Well, swing side to side a little bit, be cut down from the rope, then...I don't know what you typically do with bodies after they've been tried and executed by hanging. Do you give the corpse to Melania?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

Seriously Jesus Christ is Trump's twitter profile just a loving mess. It's somehow more stark when the guys talking about golf and it's the exact same propaganda poo poo reply thread and he might as well be talking about one of his stupid political beefs again. I don't know how Twitter can still justify it as important must hear news when it literally reads like a political propaganda page all the time. He clearly has bots to tweet generic support messages for him as well as ones that have been set up to tweet anti-trump messages at every post he makes too. One of them is even just tweeting the exact same meme over and over too of some kid doing a cartwheel that has nothing to do with anything whatsoever.

Heh, you're not kidding!

https://twitter.com/DonnaWR8/status/983143876071477248

Thanks, "Donna." GOLF!!!!~

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I wonder what easy d is going to do after his presidency? By then he'll have lost every shred of dignity and be a pariah. The Republican party will treat him like a leper and of he isn't facing jail time he'll definitely have problems traveling anywhere.

Our am I forgetting some sort of arcane procedural :decorum: afforded to former presidents by jurisprudential Fiat by some rear end in a top hat journalist like Maggie Haberman?

Ideally he’ll die in office of being an out of shape fatass before his first term is up and we won’t have to worry about it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

The French Revolution wasn't driven by idealism, it was driven by people loving starving. The system could no longer reasonably guarantee the day-to-day survival of a large number of it's citizens, which is why it collapsed; the only reason the revolutionaries had the numbers to affect real change was that large swathes of people had (or at least felt they had) nothing left to lose.

You can't set your watch to people starving man, you need to account for those staring people making a choice about how to address their starvation. "Murder the rich" is not the only possible response to starving.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dinosaurtrain posted:

He will go back into his previous life and make millions of dollars off selling his name to his die-hard supporters.

Like always happens with out of office politicians, lots of people will eventually be saying that he wasn't that bad and at least did X well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How dare they do that to poor Kermit? :mad:

• Locked thread