Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
isn't it great? i'm like: if this is what he doesn't want, what the hell would be good enough for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

isn't it great? i'm like: if this is what he doesn't want, what the hell would be good enough for him

Guys, guys - did you know there are official records of WWII?

To think I wasted all that time in school dong research by watching John Wayne movies! I could've been looking at official records!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I remember watching the coup at the end of the USSR on television and not really understanding what was happening until years afterwards. I just kind of hoped the good guys would win. (And luckily, they did. Later my stepdad at the time took me with his truck around and a couple of times we moved into the Ex-GDR. Seeing all those ruins, bad roads and general bad mojo spooked me a lot. State-directed command economy is a horror.)

feedmegin posted:

I mean, they did . Operation Torch was the US/UK invasion of Vichy Algeria. There were about a thousand allied casualties from Vichy fire. Would have been a real poo poo show with the French navy still there. What they had left still sunk some destroyers and troop ships.

Some did, but some also immediately surrendered. It was kind of a mixed bag. If the colonial troops had fought a full-blown defense, Operation Torch could have failed, or at the least it would have been a lot more costly then just "about a thousand casualties".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you know that guy is like the absolute worst kind of milhist dude

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

quote:

The last war that got serious attention was the Civil War.
What a masterpiece.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Libluini posted:

Because Vichy France was a thing and being in the navy doesn't make you immune to being a fascist? There was a real fear on the British side that the fleet would join the war on the wrong side, if you get my drift. There was similar uncertainty about which way French colonial troops in Africa would go. Would have made allied landings in that part of North Africa a serious problem if they had chosen to stay loyal to the Vichy-regime.

Even as things went, take a look at Operation Reservist, the Allied attempt to capture the port of Oran in Algeria, as part of Operation Torch. Oran's Vichy, defended by French troops. The Allies figure that the French would be more likely to shoot at British troops than American ones, on account of the whole Mers-el-Kebir thing. Further, the Allies had contacted General Giraud, who'd been captured by the Nazis in the Ardennes but later escaped from prison and fled back to France, to enlist his aid in the invasion in the hopes that he could persuade the defenders to lay down their arms.

He fuckin' refused to help unless he was given command over the entire operation. Not just Reservist but Torch. That is to say he wanted to outrank Eisenhower.

(He was eventually persuaded otherwise but it came to nothing. Darlan was in town, nobody was gonna take his orders over Darlan's.)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's this. These were still French sailors on French ships, and Catapult was a mere two weeks after the signing of the armistice. It was in no way clear that Britain and the Free French would actually fight on for five years, rather than there being some sort of peace accord. The option to sail to the French Caribbean might have been acceptable, but nobody told the folks at Mars el-Kabir about it.

I realize the timeline was pretty tight, but it also seems like it would've been worth at least signalling to the UK that you'd be willing to help out somehow or other. I can't imagine there were a lot of French sailors that were pro-Nazi.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cessna posted:

From that post:

Wha...?

Well it is hard to do that when some of it is loving ash.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

I realize the timeline was pretty tight, but it also seems like it would've been worth at least signalling to the UK that you'd be willing to help out somehow or other. I can't imagine there were a lot of French sailors that were pro-Nazi.

Its not always political. France and French forces were also severely demoralized, and believed that it was useless to continue fighting. Obviously this sentiment was not share by everyone, but that's why you have Vichy and Free French troops.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the best of the worst non-social milhist? I vaguely remember bouncing off stuff that was just paragraph after paragraph of "Bn x marched up to A, arriving at 8:34. Bn y marched up to B, arriving at 9:12".

frankenfreak posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been posted in the D&D Germany thread a couple of times and I've also seen it pop up on TV and news articles from time to time. :shrug:

No idea what happened there, I had definitely never seen it before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Beefeater1980 posted:

To what extent is the HRE a single entity at this point: if France or Spain had just sat its army on the HRE border and gone east until someone stopped them, would a unified response have been likely or just state by state?
The Empire raises troops through a system called "circles," in which various political entities unite to raise funds for armies together. In the early years of the war the Emperor relied heavily on the armies of large powers within the Empire like Bavaria, on the religious collective security organization the Catholic League, and on help from Spain. One of the reasons Wallenstein was so valuable at first is that he raised an army for the Emperor, so he didn't have to go through the Elector of Bavaria every time he wants something done. After Wallenstein's death this army remains in being. The Peace of Prague brings it under the control of the "circles." By the end of the war and afterwards, the Empire has become what Peter Wilson calls it: a system of collective security and internal conflict resolution.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aphid_licker posted:

What's the best of the worst non-social milhist? I vaguely remember bouncing off stuff that was just paragraph after paragraph of "Bn x marched up to A, arriving at 8:34. Bn y marched up to B, arriving at 9:12".

No idea what happened there, I had definitely never seen it before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty much anything written specifically about either Civil War of Napoleonic battles from about 1920-1960. As an added bonus you'll sometimes get asides about how great the Great Men were.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

The Empire raises troops through a system called "circles," in which various political entities unite to raise funds for armies together. In the early years of the war the Emperor relied heavily on the armies of large powers within the Empire like Bavaria, on the religious collective security organization the Catholic League, and on help from Spain. One of the reasons Wallenstein was so valuable at first is that he raised an army for the Emperor, so he didn't have to go through the Elector of Bavaria every time he wants something done. After Wallenstein's death this army remains in being. The Peace of Prague brings it under the control of the "circles." By the end of the war and afterwards, the Empire has become what Peter Wilson calls it: a system of collective security and internal conflict resolution.

This system also hosed over Kreise who for one reason or other, couldn't raise troops. Kreis Celle had something ridiculous like 13 soldiers (the Duke's personal guard) at some point. Until the Danish took over and "defended" Celle for them.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

This system also hosed over Kreise who for one reason or other, couldn't raise troops. Kreis Celle had something ridiculous like 13 soldiers (the Duke's personal guard) at some point. Until the Danish took over and "defended" Celle for them.
it's free real estate

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Did Danes effectively defend anything? You must be mistaken, good sir!

Doing an analytical paper for Danish class about the 1864 (detailing the 2nd war for Schleswig-Holstein) series, and while it's too dramatized to provide a good view of how badly Denmark got its rear end handed to it, it does give some good glimpses into the period: We see prime minister Ditlev Monrad go down the street, while an old lady sweeps the street frantically reciting the apostolic creed. When he tells her to cut it out, she says that her man died in the first war for Schleswig, her first son at Sankelmark and her second at Dybbøl, and now she has nothing else to do but sweep and pray that this insane war doesn't take her last son as well - whereupon he starts stinkeyeing her, and she asks what else she can do. He then gets up in her face, and says "I think you should be ashamed of yourself" :thurman:

The liberal politicians of that era really were colossal shitbirds, even if they didn't have many options :iamafag:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That series gets marks for showing the brutal effects of the weaponry of the era but loses then being lazy and for some reason making the Hussars seem like some sort of mounted super Nazis?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tias posted:

Did Danes effectively defend anything? You must be mistaken, good sir!

Doing an analytical paper for Danish class about the 1864 (detailing the 2nd war for Schleswig-Holstein) series, and while it's too dramatized to provide a good view of how badly Denmark got its rear end handed to it, it does give some good glimpses into the period: We see prime minister Ditlev Monrad go down the street, while an old lady sweeps the street frantically reciting the apostolic creed. When he tells her to cut it out, she says that her man died in the first war for Schleswig, her first son at Sankelmark and her second at Dybbøl, and now she has nothing else to do but sweep and pray that this insane war doesn't take her last son as well - whereupon he starts stinkeyeing her, and she asks what else she can do. He then gets up in her face, and says "I think you should be ashamed of yourself" :thurman:

The liberal politicians of that era really were colossal shitbirds, even if they didn't have many options :iamafag:

As a critically academic aside, Mads Mikkelsen plays a veteran of that war in the Western (Danish) movie The Salvation. He does not effectively defend his wife and son.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

That series gets marks for showing the brutal effects of the weaponry of the era but loses then being lazy and for some reason making the Hussars seem like some sort of mounted super Nazis?

I mean haven't seen it but light cav are useful for foraging, looting, raiding and generally being assholes to civilians.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

If a Hussar is not dead by 30, he is a blackguard!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Belle of the South encounters Secession [Gustave Dore, 2018]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zoux posted:

I feel like we already dealt with this issue at some point, I mean I get that history can be cyclical bu-

Oh come on. If Missourians start massacring Kansans again I'm moving to Canada

Sherman posted:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
no guys this time it'll work

-luigi cadorna, also the south

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cyrano4747 posted:

Or if there's questions I can field those as well.

Do you have any opinions on Tony Judt's Postwar?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Going through some old files, I just found a ton of my grandfather's WW2 paperwork. He didn't serve as the rest of his brothers were already in the military, but I've got stuff like his order to report for a physical, ration stamps, and selective service card, all in practically brand new condition. I'll see if I can take pictures of this stuff to upload.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Kotkin’s Armageddon Averted my go to end of USSR book.

I'm reading this now. It's very good so far but I'm only about a third the way in. Does Kotkin go into the coup in any more depth?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think the invasion of Syria during World War II is actually an interesting case study of the relations between Vichy France and the Allies, and the willingness (or unwillingness) for the Vichy France to fight against their former allies. The common wisdom before Operation Exporter started was that the Vichy France forces would surrender, especially due to the presence of Free French forces (it was important politically for the Free French to be part of this campaign). The Vichy French, however, did not surrender as expected, which had implications for the fight in North Africa. The entire campaign is quite interesting for how small yet intense the fighting was, and how relatively unknown it is, especially considering that the UK suppressed news of the campaign during the war.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jesse Kelly, whoever that is, is a straight-up loving idiot and I hate you by proxy for posting that poo poo.

The party of "we have nothing remotely against women"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Turns out dogging was a popular thing with British soldiers and officers in 1870 in India. Which back then meant bug hunting and collecting.

Man times have changed (go to urban dictionary if you don't get this)

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 11th Apr 1918 posted:

The usual routine of the Btn. in the front line went on. The Colonel and Adjt. made a tour of the line and the Intelligence Officer went out with the snipers and returned at dusk. In the evening the Colonel and I.O. of the 6th Bedford Regt. arrived to reconnoitre the H.Q. prior to taking over.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

Turns out dogging was a popular thing with British soldiers and officers in 1870 in India. Which back then meant bug hunting and collecting.

Don't be fooled by 19th century euphemisms. 'Bug hunting' probably just means buggery.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I imagine if you are going to commit buggery the wilds of 19th century India might not be the safest place.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

Turns out dogging was a popular thing with British soldiers and officers in 1870 in India.

I'd bet it still it today.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nenonen posted:

Don't be fooled by 19th century euphemisms. 'Bug hunting' probably just means buggery.

It could just mean the same as it does today ;)

:nws: :nws: cursed image :nws: :nws:

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

So I found out what a Chummery was today.

a clutch of single late 19th century officers rooming together in Bungalow quarters in India

SeanBeansShako posted:

Have you been leafing through Hobson Jobson?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine if you are going to commit buggery the wilds of 19th century India might not be the safest place.

Who's going to catch you out there?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tias posted:

It could just mean the same as it does today ;)

:nws: :nws: cursed image :nws: :nws:

Yeah baby put the grippe in me. I want the dropsy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

chitoryu12 posted:

Literally thugs

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Literally thugs

The thuggees usually left the British alone because Kali wasn't interested in foreign food.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

chitoryu12 posted:

A tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

P-Mack posted:

The thuggees usually left the British alone because Kali wasn't interested in foreign food.

Who could blame her, Indian food is delicious