Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:golfclap:

Did you just draw the one on the coin?

not particularly well, but yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

:getin: Peak urbie up in this piece, its a wild downhill ride from here.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

We've got just under 2 weeks to go; tell us about the olden days :corsair:

Effectively dueled a hellbringer with my hbk-4g and won. But that was before hellbringers were good.

Shot a commando (or firestarter, I forget) out of the sky with one well placed ac20 shot from the same hunchie. Patton saw it but I doubt he remembers.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

That looks amazing, is it possible to put urbies as the weight in the scales?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tythas posted:

ideally one urbanmech on one side and a bag of dirt on the other

not sure how you'd represent that in the space available, but some sort of value joke

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

You loving mad bastard I love you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tythas posted:

Psion posted:

ideally one urbanmech on one side and a bag of dirt on the other

not sure how you'd represent that in the space available, but some sort of value joke

hmm

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

:five:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

It's everything I thought it would be and more!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love how, in watching Cohh's stream, after he refit his griffin literally everyone in his twitch chat and the youtube comments are pleading with him to take off some of the armor or heatsinks and put some backup weapons in there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

aniviron posted:

Turns out that cryengine is still horrible years later and PGI is still not great at cryengine. To "optimize" the game they just took out effects one patch at a time over the course of several years and now the game looks pretty bad. Particles toned down, mech IK is gone (i.e. legs no longer align to terrain), missiles now fly in a straight line instead of cool twisting paths, etc etc etc. Some things have legitimate excuses, like textures being more boring now to make room for paintable camo scheme mechs, but most of it is just so that the game will keep on running on toasters. Most people forget how bad their framerates were in beta, and that was before the switch to 12v12 made things 50% worse. There's a reason that the MW5 is using Unreal, even though PGI has almost a decade of cry experience.

It looks like total dogshit now. I just got a new PC, I don't do a huge amount of gaming so I got a 1060GTX 6MB, 16gb of RAM, SSD, just an i3 etc. So I can run World of Tanks with full high def models and all the bells and whistle, looks fantastic really, steady 100+fps. I loaded up MWO and the UI is a warcrime, the terrain looks awful, so many poor effects it's very hard to see what's going on at all, on top of that graphical stuttering and tearing issues. If they cleaned up the engine, fixed the targeting UI, made everyone about 1/3 slower so it became more tactical then it could be good. But right now it's really hard to get into and I really got into the Beta.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Wow, I remember when I used to play MWO they disabled a few graphics things here and there over time but I was under the impression it was being fixed to get added back later. They just kept taking poo poo out making the game look worse?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Space Skeleton posted:

Wow, I remember when I used to play MWO they disabled a few graphics things here and there over time but I was under the impression it was being fixed to get added back later. They just kept taking poo poo out making the game look worse?
Some of the earlier changes to graphics timed with me getting some overdue new glasses was one hell of a mindfuck. "Everything looks so much better now!... Except MWO, what happened?"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PGI isn't doing their Mechwarrior 5 project in Cryengine too, are they?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Drone posted:

PGI isn't doing their Mechwarrior 5 project in Cryengine too, are they?

Last I heard it was in Unreal 5

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
No, it's Unreal Engine 4. I'm still convinced sometime after it comes out we'll get a port of MWO to UE4 as well.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Replace that Urbie in the middle of the scales with the Cameron Star again, and I think we've got a winner!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Guys who have been playing this: would you say Battletech is worth a buy if I have no intention of ever touching the multiplayer? Is the campaign fun enough to warrant a buy?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Extremely worth it. The campaign is the main draw by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjz_EX29fCY&list=PLN39y5i_H0FnCdV323TAgkxwyzuQxtb6b

Anticheese posted:

Replace that Urbie in the middle of the scales with the Cameron Star again, and I think we've got a winner!

welp

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Space Skeleton posted:

Yeah, I'm comparing to World of Tanks because that's something I play and thi sis what that's looking like just now

and here is what MWO is looking like just now

For me WoT is just much clearly, over target markers are better, the models are better so it's easier to see parts of the tanks, there's no weird middle distance fog that things vanish into.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xarbala posted:

Extremely worth it. The campaign is the main draw by far.

Welp I guess I can kiss my 30 euros goodbye.

Has anyone spotted the game on discount anywhere for less than the 39,99 - 20% GreenManGaming are currently offering?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

For those who has seen more of the game from streamers and such, if I like PPCs (at least two of them), the progression will be something like... Blackjack (refit with 2 PPCs) -> Catapult K2 -> Awesome?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Weissritter posted:

For those who has seen more of the game from streamers and such, if I like PPCs (at least two of them), the progression will be something like... Blackjack (refit with 2 PPCs) -> Catapult K2 -> Awesome?

It's not really a matter of progression there other than those three are successively heavier robots. Lighter 'mechs move faster and serve different roles. You can strip the AC/2's off a BJ-1 and replace its medium arm lasers with PPCs, but it's gonna run suuuuper hot compared to the other two.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Weissritter posted:

Light mechs will always be at more risk of "Oh poo poo, a Jenner just got one shot by a PPC++" (Even Cohh pulled that off with his little baby panther). But the initiative system gives more longevity to lighter mechs. Doesn't hurt that they made AC2 and AC5 not complete garbage either.

A turn's got 5 rounds. Lights start at round 4 by default, Assaults in Round 1 (There is a top shelf skill that gives +1 initiative). So you you can do bullshit like delay your light mech's turn to round 1, jump in to shoot someone in the back of the head. Then new turn rolls around and your light goes again before Mediums and up can retaliate.

That said, whenever possible it tries to alternate between each side for a given round. If both you and the enemy have heavy mechs ready to go in round 2, you get to pick which of your heavies takes it's turn, then it switches to the AI to pick one of it's heavies, then back to you if you got any more stuff that can take a turn that phase.

Beefing up your tonnage when you can is still important. Even if you get much bigger repair bills if they take internal damage. But "Gets to go first" has long term appeal, even if it's just to hang back and use sensor lock ability that round so your bigger guys have better chances to firing squad an enemy to death. At the very least I'm hoping to turn one NPC pilot into a gimmick +1 Initiative Medium pilot to screw with the initiative system with bigger guns than a light mech gets.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 13, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Sounds like LL are going to be king of energy, which is rather accurate to 3025 I think? At least if they have comparable number to TT and keep the +accuracy bonus MLs have. ACs seem to be way more effective than in TT, but LLs seem to be better than PPCs at long range energy all things considered, at least from the streams I've seen. I guess no matter what, one weapon type is always going to be "worse" as a generalist, with different load-outs being better at specific tasks.

PPCs have stability damage that LLs are missing though, right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
LL gets the accuracy buff, PPCs get stability damage and debuff the target's accuracy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love that AC2s are functionally AC5s, AC5s are essentially AC9s, and AC10s are AC12s with heads given a single point of armor to compensate and make it not a headcapper. A lot of those are just common sense fixes to what in TT are some dire under performers. The scope of each guns buff scaling to the the extent of how bad that particular gun sucked. So the lighter acs are basically doubled while the heavy AC got a pinch better so it doesn't look redundant next to the PPC.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Soooooooo.....

How many lasers can we boat before ghost heat kicks in?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Raged posted:

Soooooooo.....

How many lasers can we boat before ghost heat kicks in?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

A real diagram from the developers if I remember it right. Fuckin Ghost Heat.

On the topic of lights, you can pull some initiative shenanigans for sure. Light mechs meleeing also shouldn't be underestimated, because no matter how light the mech is, melee strips brace from the target. Also, the skill that lets you shoot then scoot instead of scoot then shoot is going to be nuts. Light Mech reserved to last phase -> move in shoot enemy mech -> next turn light goes against immediately -> shoot mech, move away -> repeat.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Yeah those were real diagrams.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Username/Post combo!

Also, even more crazy if you consider that nothing about Ghost Heat was visible inside the game proper for a looong time, so you would have no idea why your totally legit build was making you go nova all of a sudden unless you were reading the forums as well.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

And ghost heat stuff would change all the time! Like Inner Sphere Large Lasers suddenly being able to be fired three at a time, but not the Clan version.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
For the guys talking about MWO:

I played the last month of it after taking a 2+ year break on it. Played the recent events and such and purchased a few mechs on sale.

I got to say, the way they did it with Ghost heat and builds now is great. The introduction of ER Lasers for every laser on the IS side and the Light Engines on the IS side really changed the dynamic of the game.

The only thing I will say that is busted is HEAVY lasers for Clans.. those things are just broken OP as fuuuuck.

The game plays better now than it ever did.. I came back to 1500 General Skill points and mechs only need 91 skill points each so I loaded up like 20 mechs with 60 skill points to try them out.

The game used to be a bloody mess of poptarts with 4 PPCs and 6 LL Stalkers demolishing things.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If you haven't preordered yet (Good for you. Don't preorder video games!) greenmangames is a good place to get it from. Use their April voucher for 20% off and they'll also gift you War Tech Fighters, an early access game they're publishing which consists of more giant robots fighting each other in space!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I have a MWO story, too!

Once upon a time, back before 12v12 was a thing, I was playing with a bunch of my friends. I was tweaking my trusty Rainmaker Catapult - I think they'd just implemented Artemis-IV. Anyhow, everybody else was waiting for me to finish so I was in a hurry in the lab when I hit the final buttons - and then we drop into River City, I power up right next to the shuttle at the docking platform.

gently caress me sideways.

I only have one of my A-LRM20s - and to add insult to injury, my LRM ammo is all standard ammo, not Artemis-enabled. So in essence I only have my secondary lasers on me plus a bunch of volatile ammo and no way to get rid of it.

I done hosed up.

So at this point I realize I'm going to be more of a liability on the field, but gently caress it - I might as well make a big noise before I go down. Be a distraction and tank some fire, you know?

Cue a bright purple Catapult thundering out of the fog of war, making GBS threads lasers everyfuckingwhere and flapping the missile bays on its ear pods like the wings of a demented robot chicken, charging the other side's formation as fast as my XL300 can carry me.

Cue said formation actually scattering before me. I have no idea what madness the pubbies were up to, but they must've seen a charging catapult and thought I was a dreaded Splatapult or something equally nasty - but when they saw me running, they ran, and I naturally gave chase.

The ridiculous thing is, a Catapult is actually decently fast with a bigass engine powering it, and the way the torso hitboxes were arranged at the time made it hard to really focus your fire on a given section of the torso. My ears, of course, got shot off decently early, but I was past giving any fucks about that.

The absolutely, ridiculously stupid thing about the whole shitshow? Not only was I (to my immense surprise) still alive at the end of the match.. I got two kills. With a trio of medium lasers and a TAG.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

If you haven't preordered yet (Good for you. Don't preorder video games!) greenmangames is a good place to get it from. Use their April voucher for 20% off and they'll also gift you War Tech Fighters, an early access game they're publishing which consists of more giant robots fighting each other in space!

So I preordered through GMG and got a War Tech Fighters Voucher code, but what do I do with it? It doesn't redeem on steam, the confirmation email I got from GMG has a link for "activation instructions" which takes me to a redeem gift code page on their website but pasting the code in there doesn't let me click apply so something is a bit weird.

E: It seems it's a discount code, so for anyone else you have to put WTF in your basket then use the code you got from the Btech preorder to make it free, then you get a steam key. Dunno why they can't just give you a steam key in the first place.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 13, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

MWO isn't the greatest game ever or anything, but these days it's actually pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I used to have so much fun in my dual ac20 catapult k2. It was my spirit mech. You basically had to strip everything out of it so you could fit the guns, ammo, and minimum possible size engine. The upside was dual 20s was the perfect amount of damage to instantly head cap anyone. I recall one game where 3 enemy Atlases came through the ice tunnel in frozen city and I killed them all in succession with single taps to the head.