Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Droyer posted:

Except half the things he says are factually incorrect as well.

Oh yeah, the Crescent Ship carried batteries from Venus Globe. So if you really want to dig down into the possible political ramifications of Klim Nick splatting his dad, the Amerians wouldn't have seen it so much as an attack from Capitol but the hand of an angry god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh yeah, the Crescent Ship carried batteries from Venus Globe. So if you really want to dig down into the possible political ramifications of Klim Nick splatting his dad, the Amerians wouldn't have seen it so much as an attack from Capitol but the hand of an angry god.

Especially when they're actively fighting two other factions around Sankt Porto and still get absolutely :stare: at the remotest possibility of even scratching one of the Hermes Foundation ships.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

i know im late but

Droyer posted:

G-reco is good actually.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I loved IBO, and I still fully agree with everything here.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
G-reco's characters felt just as random, impulsive and erratic as Zeta's to me, so I really don't understand where the complaints are coming from.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah I was actually watching Zeta at the same time as G-reco so seeing how characters acted in each got me used to Tomino’s style of characterization, since they felt really similar

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To be fair though I do see people online complain about Zeta's characters every now and then.

Like people harp on Katz all the drat time, though personally I find him to decently well executed (Pun intended).

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
People are still overly harsh on reccoa when she was literally under the thrall of someone with vampire style supernatural charisma.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

AGE is trash, but the Vagan mecha designs are (mostly) cool and good. Gundam Legilis is definitely in my Top 5 favorite designs alongside Turn A/X. As for my last two, I'd say the Union Flag and the Tallgeese. Honorable Mentions go to the F91 and Kimaris Vidar.

In other Tomino news:
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-lands-legendary-sci-fi-anime-aura-battler-dunbine-restored-and-remastered-in-hd

Basically - we're getting an HD remaster of Aura Battler Dunbine in the near future. I am particularly excited, because I always wanted to see this series all the way through.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 13, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As someone that just finished Dunbine the other day, it's not very good at all and definitely one of Tomino's weakest efforts.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

As someone that just finished Dunbine the other day, it's not very good at all and definitely one of Tomino's weakest efforts.

DId you get around to subjecting yourself to Garzeys wing yet?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Artum posted:

DId you get around to subjecting yourself to Garzeys wing yet?
Not yet, that'll be in a day or two though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Raxivace posted:

I am aware that it is has one of his stereotypical 80s "kill 'em all" endings, so it does have that going against it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LuiCypher posted:

I am aware that it is has one of his stereotypical 80s "kill 'em all" endings, so it does have that going against it.
The ending isn't really the problem (Though I don't especially like the ending either). The issue is more that Dunbine has by far some of Tomino's blandest, least interesting characters ever, and I'm not sure the series ever goes more than 15 than minutes without a repetitive battle scene.

There's just like maybe 15 episodes worth of story that's been interminably stretched over 49 episodes. Most 50ish episode mecha series could be cut shorter to be fair, but Dunbine has this problem worse than almost anything I think I've seen before, barring like 70's era monster of the week stuff I guess.

Like if G-Reco was too much story crammed into 26 episodes, Dunbine is too little story stretched very, very, very thin, and the latter is the far greater offense to me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 13, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Artum posted:

People are still overly harsh on reccoa when she was literally under the thrall of someone with vampire style supernatural charisma.

I find the excuse she was only doing what she did because of Scirocco using some kind of Newtype mind whammy on her more annoying than people just dismissing her as a victim of bad writing personally. Reccoa had issues well before she met Scirocco, and I'm pretty sure most of them were shown in some form before Scirocco even appeared in the story. She's one of my favorite characters specifically because she's such a broken and terrible person; it makes her a fascinating character and Scirocco has little to do with any of it. He gave her some emotional closure and happiness she couldn't find with AEUG, but those emotional wounds and unhappiness were in clear view while she was with AEUG.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My steaming hot take is that I enjoyed most of G Reco and can’t stand most of Zeta.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

G-Reco had a good opening theme.

That is the extent of my knowledge on G-Reco.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I like the second OP better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECncqdhKAi0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

Not yet, that'll be in a day or two though.

Watch it dubbed for maximum effect.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hellioning posted:

There's a really good part in it that deals with casual racism in a realistic and grounded way that resonated with me a lot.

And then some posters were angry that the racism wasnt like full on hollywood movie overt racism so it was bad writing.

Remembering that and laughing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sharkopath posted:

There's a really good part in it that deals with casual racism in a realistic and grounded way that resonated with me a lot.

And then some posters were angry that the racism wasnt like full on hollywood movie overt racism so it was bad writing.

A whole lot of people think to leap immediately to "bad writing" when they don't like something. I mean, sometimes the writing is actually bad, but it is possible to enjoy bad writing and not enjoy good writing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The very first scene of 00 seemed interesting but then the whole rest of the first episode wasn't engaging in the slightest. It's a no from me, Jeff.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't like g-reco that much but man do I love the song they used for the second op.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

The very first scene of 00 seemed interesting but then the whole rest of the first episode wasn't engaging in the slightest. It's a no from me, Jeff.

It’s a slow starter. Maybe give it a few more episodes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s a slow starter. Maybe give it a few more episodes.

Is there a convenient 'if you don't like it by episode x you never will' point?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

Is there a convenient 'if you don't like it by episode x you never will' point?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

That's not convenient at all.

I might end up sticking the next episode on sometime but the first one gave me no reason to care about the power rangers coming to earth to bully weapons manufacturers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

That's not convenient at all.

I might end up sticking the next episode on sometime but the first one gave me no reason to care about the power rangers coming to earth to bully weapons manufacturers.

The pleasure of the first season is watching the world react to these invincible assholes, and gradually learn how to make them less and less invincible.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Talk about a G Self-own

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who did it better? Zssa or HeavyArms EW version?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DKD posted:

Talk about a G Self-own

eyyyyyy

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Who did it better? Zssa or HeavyArms EW version?

EW Heavyarms is a terrible design so whatever the other thing is, obviously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sassassin posted:

:frogout:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

sassassin posted:

EW Heavyarms is a terrible design.

I know this is apparently bad opinions day, but there are limits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sassassin posted:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When idle, the Zssa almost looks like it could be the helmet of another, bigger robot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're going to strap more guns and missiles onto Heavyarms it doesn't make sense to give it a dark & cool paintjob. It has to be brighter. More red, more orange, more yellow. Flame decals. Spotlights. It's a bombastic, shock and awe weapon of maximum destruction, not a stealth operative (with twin-linked gatling guns).

Original Heavyarms is a much stronger design that should have died on Earth so that Trowa could pilot something more suited to his character, like the Vayeate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

If you're going to strap more guns and missiles onto Heavyarms it doesn't make sense to give it a dark & cool paintjob. It has to be brighter. More red, more orange, more yellow. Flame decals. Spotlights. It's a bombastic, shock and awe weapon of maximum destruction, not a stealth operative (with twin-linked gatling guns).

Original Heavyarms is a much stronger design that should have died on Earth so that Trowa could pilot something more suited to his character, like the Vayeate.

I actually agree with some of this TBH.

I don't dislike the design but the muted color scheme bugs me, especially when Trowa goes full clown mask. The thing should look like a brightly colored clown, not a military robot. If anything it would make more sense if it did the opposite and the original Heavyarms was a muted grey/blue and the EW version was bright orange and red.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

I actually agree with some of this TBH.

I don't dislike the design but the muted color scheme bugs me, especially when Trowa goes full clown mask. The thing should look like a brightly colored clown, not a military robot. If anything it would make more sense if it did the opposite and the original Heavyarms was a muted grey/blue and the EW version was bright orange and red.

Actual Trowa Barton would never have authorised that kind of colour scheme for Operation Meteor.