Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You can still be a bad guy even if you join the rebels. I joined them but made sure they understood they worked for me now and justified it to the higher ups that both of the other armies were useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inzombiac posted:

I've heard Tyranny comes close but I think in that game you're supposed to be a dick the whole time. That kinda takes away the sting.

You are supposed to be a dick the whole time but the morality choices let you determine what kind of dick you want to be, which is just as good, and you can't weasel your way out of being a bad guy in most circumstances. The Fatebinder is a badass that people fear and respect even at level 1.

Tyranny is a great game and if it weren't for a really weak and abrupt ending it'd be my favorite RPG in a long time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Polishing off the remaining quests in Xenoblade 2, one of the quests ended with the reveal of an ancient Nopon Language.
Which was just plain english, the reason why Nopon's speak like Jarjar is because an ancient pirate captian figured they'd be able to control the world easier if they played dumb and acted "cute" around humans by speaking like that and making sure they're fur is extra fluffy.

Finally some world building that I can get behind in this game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

John Murdoch posted:

Surely I'm not the only person who had to stop and have a good think about the big Geth choice in Mass Effect 2?

The series progression from the Geth being faceless killer robots to Space Palestinians was one of my favorite side stories in the series. Especially since it made Tali go from being cute and naive to being the hot young IDF soldier who does not get why you're making such a big deal about her bulldozing an occupied settlement.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

scarycave posted:

Polishing off the remaining quests in Xenoblade 2, one of the quests ended with the reveal of an ancient Nopon Language.
Which was just plain english, the reason why Nopon's speak like Jarjar is because an ancient pirate captian figured they'd be able to control the world easier if they played dumb and acted "cute" around humans by speaking like that and making sure they're fur is extra fluffy.

Nopon are cutesy jrpg mascots done right. They're such little bastards

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
One of the neat little things in the Original Doom, Episode 2, you can see the Tower of Babel being built more and more as you progress through each level.

Also, E2M8 is the best level thanks to the build up.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kanfy posted:

This is definitely just a pet peeve of mine, but a game's focus being on story and dialogue doesn't make it a visual novel, it's simply a story-heavy game. Even with all combat removed PS:T would still be a game you play rather than a novel you read after all, and hardly the first one of its kind.

I was having a laugh, mate, and genre definitions are useless in gaming anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

scarycave posted:

So Nopons are basically Nibblonians, they just don't go full pet mode?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fhistleb posted:

One of the neat little things in the Original Doom, Episode 2, you can see the Tower of Babel being built more and more as you progress through each level.

Wait what

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's actually not as dumb a trigger as you might think; It's an action the player-character is forced into taking post-cutscene and can be reasonably nestled in the horse-mounting code without breaking anything.

It's basically invisible bunny programming.

I think it's dumb because the only time I played RDR, I got to this moment that everyone reveres and the song started playing, and I accidentally got off my horse about 15 seconds in and the song just ended, and that was it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s the graphic in the intermission screen.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Olaf The Stout posted:

I think it's dumb because the only time I played RDR, I got to this moment that everyone reveres and the song started playing, and I accidentally got off my horse about 15 seconds in and the song just ended, and that was it.

Yeah, the exact same thing happened to me. I wasn’t that bummed though cause I heard the full song before and really didn’t like it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I can't believe the discussion turned to moral choices and y'all didn't bring up the original Infamous, which was the trendsetter for that, on the consoles at least

My absolutely favourite part of that is when the villain has your girlfriend and tells you that you have to either save her or a bunch of doctors who would be able to help thousands of people in a way that your gf never could.

If you actually choose the "bad" choice, which is to save her the villain reveals he actually replaced the girlfriend when it looked like Cole was picking the wrong choice and put her with the doctors. No matter what choice you make, the girlfriend dies but before she does, she either tells you that you did the right choice of going for the doctors OR spends her last few moments telling you how you're selfish scum and shouldn't have gone for her.

It's honestly the first moral choice game I remember strongly on the PS3 and it started the trend that finally died with the completely absurd Army of 2: The 40th Day, which had my absolutely favourite moral decision of either shooting your co-worker in the back or instead watching a man in scuba-armor shoot him on a beach

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Letting the tiger go free. :buddy:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If you actually choose the "bad" choice, which is to save her the villain reveals he actually replaced the girlfriend when it looked like Cole was picking the wrong choice and put her with the doctors. No matter what choice you make, the girlfriend dies but before she does, she either tells you that you did the right choice of going for the doctors OR spends her last few moments telling you how you're selfish scum and shouldn't have gone for her.

And it even makes sense because the villain is Cole from the future, so he knows which choice Cole would go for

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Letting the tiger go free. :buddy:

I loved the one where like some random dude begs for his life and letting him go free results in him finding guns, selling them to your enemies and then peacing out to enjoy life while the implication is the game is now marginally harder for you the player since enemies have better guns and feeling like I couldnt even get mad at him. You live that life buddy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Just Cause 3 does this thing where the game loads the main menu and you can fiddle with it while Rico is already in-game, just chilling next to a car. When you choose "Continue", it seamlessly goes from the menu to the gameplay. The thing is, the world is already active while you're in that menu and things can get...hectic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3iUlz8WSuY&t=74s

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Samuringa posted:

Just Cause 3 does this thing where the game loads the main menu and you can fiddle with it while Rico is already in-game, just chilling next to a car. When you choose "Continue", it seamlessly goes from the menu to the gameplay. The thing is, the world is already active while you're in that menu and things can get...hectic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3iUlz8WSuY&t=74s

I liked the one where they got into the car Rico was leaning on and drove away making him have to lean against empty air.

E: This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnEmHxeWu4

Sininu has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Apr 13, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

I loved the one where like some random dude begs for his life and letting him go free results in him finding guns, selling them to your enemies and then peacing out to enjoy life while the implication is the game is now marginally harder for you the player since enemies have better guns and feeling like I couldnt even get mad at him. You live that life buddy.
The absolutely best one is the ending one though, because it completely plays the trite ~for the greater good~ feeling of the rest for laughs.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I was having a laugh, mate, and genre definitions are useless in gaming anyway.

I’m pretty sure the argument could be made that every game ever made is a puzzle game.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

nael posted:

I’m pretty sure the argument could be made that every game ever made is a puzzle game.

Rub bullets on the cyberdemon until it dies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
After beating the second song on Mad Maestro, I think I have just confirmed that the game is balls hard. I think it's because classical music has so many tone and tempo changes that if you are not familiar with a song it can really throw you off when suddenly it's alternating between loud and soft notes, or suddenly slowing down significantly throwing off the rhythm you just built up. Still fun though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
There are some weird things in Just Cause 3 that I'm not sure if the devs wanted to not be anti-fun or if they just didn't give a poo poo. For example:

- When you liberate Towns, you have a series of objectives, all involving blowing stuff up. One of those is entering a heavily guarded place, opening the entrance for your rebels buddies and destroy as much stuff as you can inside it. The problem is, sometimes you blow too much and still don't reach your goal. Luckily, your allies come in loads of vehicles and blowing those up also count!

- There are challenges you have to do to earn upgrades. One of those was a Sniper Challenge, where you're given a rifle and asked to aim at barrels positioned nearby certain structures, causing them to fall apart. That would be pretty hard and annoying but there just happened to be an attack helicopter nearby. You can freely jump in and rain bullets on every single target, earning an easy 5 Stars Cogs Rank.

- Another type of challenge is racing. In these, you're given a vehicle and asked to drive as fast as you can, following checkpoints. In one of those you are given a bike and the trick is that if you crash, you're going to fly off and lose lots of time or maybe even die. You can change which vehicle you want to do the challenge with, but since this is a Bike Challenge, you can only select Bikes. However, you can select one and then steal a nearby car, and just go your merry away, running over all obstacles that would make your life harder on two wheels.

Like, I'm having fun with it, and exploding everything and not playing by the rules is the way of Just Cause, but was this on purpose or they just shelved it out without a care?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Samuringa posted:

There are some weird things in Just Cause 3 that I'm not sure if the devs wanted to not be anti-fun or if they just didn't give a poo poo. For example:

- When you liberate Towns, you have a series of objectives, all involving blowing stuff up. One of those is entering a heavily guarded place, opening the entrance for your rebels buddies and destroy as much stuff as you can inside it. The problem is, sometimes you blow too much and still don't reach your goal. Luckily, your allies come in loads of vehicles and blowing those up also count!

- There are challenges you have to do to earn upgrades. One of those was a Sniper Challenge, where you're given a rifle and asked to aim at barrels positioned nearby certain structures, causing them to fall apart. That would be pretty hard and annoying but there just happened to be an attack helicopter nearby. You can freely jump in and rain bullets on every single target, earning an easy 5 Stars Cogs Rank.

- Another type of challenge is racing. In these, you're given a vehicle and asked to drive as fast as you can, following checkpoints. In one of those you are given a bike and the trick is that if you crash, you're going to fly off and lose lots of time or maybe even die. You can change which vehicle you want to do the challenge with, but since this is a Bike Challenge, you can only select Bikes. However, you can select one and then steal a nearby car, and just go your merry away, running over all obstacles that would make your life harder on two wheels.

Like, I'm having fun with it, and exploding everything and not playing by the rules is the way of Just Cause, but was this on purpose or they just shelved it out without a care?

The latter. There's a bug on the P.C. which makes one mission unwinnable unless you activate help with aiming.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I went back to a Steam game that I'd totally forgot I had, InFlux, where you are a small metal ball solving puzzles by attracting lights and guiding them to things, and while it has some bad framerate issues something I like is that the physics are really kind. You get a yellow ball to follow you to a yellow thing that it cannot reach yet, but once you rotate the room the physics just funnel it into the hole, or with these bouncy pad things that launch you way further than the yellow ball (because it's heavier) where I was completely prepared to have to babysit the ball all the way up the pad sequence, it's set up so that you don't have to - it only makes it one step at a time, but it is set up so that it just rolls into the next pad rather than rolling all the way down the stairs. It's way less of a pain in the rear end than I expected.

also it has a nice atmosphere - you see each room on the island before you enter it due to them being encased in glass, but while it teleports you to a seperate map to solve the room, due to the room needing to freely rotate. However when you complete the room it takes you back to the main map, and you can look back at the room you just solved and while there is a shaft of light emanating from the top, the room itself is basically dead - the lights are off and the switches are non-functional, and it feels like you killed something.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Apr 14, 2018

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
At least some of Just Cause 3 is set up that way. I believe the activities where you blow stuff up in a military base using a boat sometimes have the piddly little Scooty-Puff Jr. gun-only boat, but they're like "you could use this thing we give you or just get a way more destructive thing for this mission" iirc.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they explicitly wink at grabbing other vehicles for those things. It's definitely part of the design.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A cool thing just happened in InFlux - through most of the game up to this point the glass has functioned as an enclosure, just a way of marking the puzzle areas. However, one of them drops you in an undersea trench, and you end up using geysers to launch rocks to break the glass that has been impermeable for the whole game up to now, giving a good feeling of progression - also a tiny whale gets caught up in the draft and ends up being swept along with you for a bit :3:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, they explicitly wink at grabbing other vehicles for those things. It's definitely part of the design.

The fact that your timer doesn't start until the first destruction also means they are very clear about giving you time to set up. Not just putting yourself in a good vantage point to begin but finding better weapons, setting up easier/better destruction by moving things around, or even setting up destruction that doesn't involve any weapons.

You're allowed to use your grappling lines to destroy so you can save yourself time and get an immediate boost to your points multiplier by attaching as many lines as you have and then destroying what they're anchored to all at once. Later in the game when you've maxed out the number of lines and their strength it's a big help.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Samovar posted:

The latter. There's a bug on the P.C. which makes one mission unwinnable unless you activate help with aiming.

Which mission has this bug?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

A cool thing just happened in InFlux - through most of the game up to this point the glass has functioned as an enclosure, just a way of marking the puzzle areas. However, one of them drops you in an undersea trench, and you end up using geysers to launch rocks to break the glass that has been impermeable for the whole game up to now, giving a good feeling of progression - also a tiny whale gets caught up in the draft and ends up being swept along with you for a bit :3:

Crap, I want to play this now

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Crap, I want to play this now

If you do be careful, I just got annoyed by a checkpoint that appears to have bugged out - I got flung out of a puzzle room, although respawned in it, but when reloading the game later I was thrown back to the start of the section of overworld - I don't have to redo any puzzles, but the amount of traversal I need to do is annoying.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

BioEnchanted posted:

It actually plays into the themes of LR, that life is winding down to nothing as nothing new can be born. All humanity will die, not of old age but of violent deaths from some animal that catches them unawares, or accidents/misadventure. Everything in the world will die, so save the souls of who you can.

A few pages back, but this reminds me of another game with a similar theme, and that's actually my favorite thing about that game. So basically, what I'm reading in this post is that Lightning Returns is the Dark Souls of Final Fantasy :v:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

PubicMice posted:

A few pages back, but this reminds me of another game with a similar theme, and that's actually my favorite thing about that game. So basically, what I'm reading in this post is that Lightning Returns is the Dark Souls of Final Fantasy :v:

Actually it's bloodborne.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is just a Bandersnatch from FF9

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kanfy posted:

This is definitely just a pet peeve of mine, but a game's focus being on story and dialogue doesn't make it a visual novel, it's simply a story-heavy game. Even with all combat removed PS:T would still be a game you play rather than a novel you read after all, and hardly the first one of its kind.

Planescape isn't a visual novel because it's story heavy.

It's a visual novel because the game frequently goes into 'visual novel mode'. Like, what's displayed on the upper half of the screen might as well be a vaguely related background like a VN, because instead big actions and landscapes and goings-on are instead being described to you in text form.

That's also why I called it "visual novel with walking sim elements", not "point and click adventure". In a point-and-click you actually see things happen when you do things. In PS:T you get them described to you in text form.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Randalor posted:

Which mission has this bug?

The one where you have to rescue the politician flying into Medici.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I’m playing a stupid little mobile game called Age of Magic. I won’t recommend it. But it uses the gyroscope in my device to tilt the landscape a bit. Not a lot, it’s not strategic, just a good visual effect. It’s a nice bit of unnecessary effort, and I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’m playing a stupid little mobile game called Age of Magic. I won’t recommend it. But it uses the gyroscope in my device to tilt the landscape a bit. Not a lot, it’s not strategic, just a good visual effect. It’s a nice bit of unnecessary effort, and I appreciate it.

Heh, I did the exact same thing in a stupid little mobile game I worked on a few years ago. Just stayed late one night to make the gyroscope tilt the camera around a little for no particular reason, even though nobody asked for it.