Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Seymour Butts posted:

Hi! I got this game a couple weeks ago and I'm a level 32 archer, a couple quests away from becoming a bard. Game is really fun even if I have no idea what I'm doing. Just doing the main story quest and beating the obligatory dungeons with randoms. Um yea, that's it, I guess.
Good job Mr. Butts! You have like three months of content before you get to the poo poo we're all griping about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Help I can't stop leveling all the classes. I tried out rogue this morning and I'm having a good time except in sastasha the one time I went into a dungeon for a daily roulette.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The actual pro strat is to level all the jobs of a single type so you can throw away all the old gear as you outlevel it instead of hemming and hawing about "maybe you'll level that other class some day"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had a lvl 70 RDM long casting Veraero & Verthunder. Told them hey use jolt first and I don't think it really sunk in :smith:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I honestly hope some time along the road they add something like heirloom armor just to make my armory chest stop crying from being full.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

LethalGeek posted:

I had a lvl 70 RDM long casting Veraero & Verthunder. Told them hey use jolt first and I don't think it really sunk in :smith:

Had this happen during a synced Whorleater extreme last night, it made me very sad and I was trying to tell him to open with Jolt but I was too busy dying. :smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So if I were to level a healing class, what would the materia priority be for each of them?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I don't have definite answers, but I'd think you want Mind, Piety, Spell Speed, and ??? If there is anything else I am still figuring out materia myself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ChaseSP posted:

I honestly hope some time along the road they add something like heirloom armor just to make my armory chest stop crying from being full.

This is what retainers are for. Already filled one up to the brim and have started on my second. >_>

Hit 70 with my second and third jobs today - cheating because it was summoner and scholar. That main scenario roulette is a huge chunk of XP if you have the time to spare.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

How many retainers can you have without having to pay for them? As I'm learning real quick that I don't have the space for my blue equips that I don't use at the moment.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

How many retainers can you have without having to pay for them? As I'm learning real quick that I don't have the space for my blue equips that I don't use at the moment.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, guess I'll just have one be a miner and the other be a botanist. May as well stockpile stuff to sell, since the demand outstrips the listings half the time on this server.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I don't have definite answers, but I'd think you want Mind, Piety, Spell Speed, and ??? If there is anything else I am still figuring out materia myself.

You wouldn't be able to meld Mind because it'd be capped on anything you'd actually equip. Det/crit increase your healing and DPS so they're both good, I don't even know what people do with piety on healers anymore, Spell Speed might be to taste. DHit doesn't increase your healing at all and should probably be avoided.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Why do they even slap Dhit on so much healer gear. They don't really need help hitting stuff for the most part.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Why do they even slap Dhit on so much healer gear. They don't really need help hitting stuff for the most part.

They’re just mini-crits that can stack with regular crits, aren’t they? Upping your chances of those on your offensive spells hardly seems like a bad thing, even if other stats are better.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Last time I checked in with healers it was recommended to have one DH materia so that you could actually get direct hits, because without it your chance to do so was zero. But I don't really play healer unless there is no other option so I am not the best at this advice.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

To piggyback off of Darth Walrus's question, what are the materia priorities for Samurai? Just capped mine, and when I went to google it gave me every possible answer for what to slot.

Also I heard Samurai and Dark Knight are getting buffs soon?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"Soon" as in like 6 weeks yeah.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm curious what the changes to Astrologian will be, since I've been racing to heavensward to grab the class.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

On Lv50 gear? It used to be accuracy. Any healer gear in HW/SB shouldn't have any.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Okay that makes sense. Either way I've been gearing up on whatever stuff I can for AST/healers for when I can play them.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, guess I'll just have one be a miner and the other be a botanist. May as well stockpile stuff to sell, since the demand outstrips the listings half the time on this server.

I recommend one as a combat class. Typically it's easier to acquire tradeskill materials as a MIN/BOT/FSH than to kill mobs (due to time & drop rates). It's fine to have the other as MIN/BOT for elemental shards if nothing else.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm pretty much a scrub but I'd often drop some Piety on my AST set, not least because I'd gas out. What are the changes they're putting on DRK and AST anyway?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I'd also recommend at least one combat based retainer, preferably set it as same class as your main so you can keep it geared with hand-me-downs. Also if I'm not mistaken retainers cannot get higher level in a class then what you are?

Despite how good it may sound on paper, gathering retainers aren't as useful as one may think, I have 6 retainers myself (yes I'm a gear hoarder ), two of which are set as gatherers and I barely ever send them out on anything specific, while my combat retainers are kept busy running ventures 24/7.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Choyi posted:

I'd also recommend at least one combat based retainer, preferably set it as same class as your main so you can keep it geared with hand-me-downs. Also if I'm not mistaken retainers cannot get higher level in a class then what you are?

Despite how good it may sound on paper, gathering retainers aren't as useful as one may think, I have 6 retainers myself (yes I'm a gear hoarder ), two of which are set as gatherers and I barely ever send them out on anything specific, while my combat retainers are kept busy running ventures 24/7.

Correct, retainers cannot be a higher level than you are. Gathering retainers also cannot be sent to gather something you haven't gathered yourself.

I will say one of the advantages gathering retainers bring is getting unspoiled node items for you. Once you've gathered it once you never have to wait for the node to appear again because you can send your retainer to go get the thing in 50-60 minutes. You won't get as much as you might be able to if you gather yourself, mind, but it's a passive way to keep getting something you may want/need without having to idle around.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nessus posted:

I'm pretty much a scrub but I'd often drop some Piety on my AST set, not least because I'd gas out. What are the changes they're putting on DRK and AST anyway?

No one knows. We might get something whenever the next live letter is but they generally don't talk specifics on job adjustments.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Automated Posting posted:

To piggyback off of Darth Walrus's question, what are the materia priorities for Samurai? Just capped mine, and when I went to google it gave me every possible answer for what to slot.

Also I heard Samurai and Dark Knight are getting buffs soon?

Right now, full skill speed is the highest potential DPS build for sam. It isn't enormously different from a full crit build though, and if you want to share gear between sam and monk I'd recommend going full crit (because sam is still fine with full crit, but monk is garbage with full skill speed).

Either way, go all in with crit or skill speed, rather than a mix of both.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Nessus posted:

Won't know until the patch notes land.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
How does Warrior compare to Dark Knight in terms of play style? I have Drk at 70 but it seems all I am able to accomplish when playing it is wiping Byakko EX groups.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

This is what retainers are for. Already filled one up to the brim and have started on my second. >_>

Hit 70 with my second and third jobs today - cheating because it was summoner and scholar. That main scenario roulette is a huge chunk of XP if you have the time to spare.

Judging by the pile of gear on my retainers that I think has been there for more then a year, I think i'd end up forgetting what I put on my retainers by the time it's useful.

Alt gear is actually pretty easy if you're lazy - keep stuff for 50/60/70 - you can pretty much manage 50-60 on ironworks (120/130) and 60-70 on shire (260/270) as long as you aren't planning to chain running dungeons in the latter part of the range. Remainder of space can go to pre 50 gear but you can always just grab some vendor gear.

I've been going for the "level up the same role" strategy lately as well. It was so nice getting my casters and healers maxed and ditching all that old gear.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ChaseSP posted:

I mean, I guess you could argue that the point of WoW's heirloom armor was to make it so that you didn't have to get gear, but really, imo, the point of heirloom gear was just to accelerate your XP gain so you'd get to endgame faster. Which the game already does in various and divers ways. You've got:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Armory Bonus (+100% 1-59, +50% from 60+)
Rested XP (+50%)
Squadron Battle Manual (+15%)
EVERY Food (+3%)

Brand New Ring (30% 1-30)
Friendship Circlet (20% 1-25)
Ala Mhigan Earrings (30% 1-50)

If I could hand over my Ala Mhigan earrings, I would. It doesn't help me loving at all, since I haven't had a job on my main below level 50 since HW launched the three new jobs. (though technically, I did spend headstart on Omega grinding out a character to help fund the Eurogoon house using that headstart bonus + free playtime for hitting level 30 instead of bashing my head against Raubahn EX)

Of note: Ala Mhigan Earrings were a Stormblood preorder bonus. Friendship circlet is a referral bonus, which you can get by being either the referrer, or referree.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the biggest impendiment in FFXIV has always been the veritable mountain of poo poo you need to get through, not the time it takes to level. also, armory bonus doesn't apply to your first class, which is the biggest source of bonus xp you get.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On your first class, you don't really care much about that though, you'll outlevel the story just by doing some roulettes and sidequests anyway.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

You don't always get enough XP when you follow just the MSQ and that's a bit of a problem.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That's what quests are for.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Story progression should be a cohesive experience, having to stop and do some bullshit fetch quests because you're a level away from the closure is bad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shy posted:

Story progression should be a cohesive experience, having to stop and do some bullshit fetch quests because you're a level away from the closure is bad.
I disagree with you in general because the story, even in ARR, has numerous rest breaks and points where you're in a new area, and I don't think it's unreasonable for the game to assume you are at least looking around a little rather than grimly chugging literally every aspect of the experience so you can hit 70 and do Eureka.

However there is that complete lull between 47 and 50 and there I agree with you completely.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Based on how much FF14 holds your hand and doesn't unlock stuff until you reach the correct point in the MSQ, I think you can argue that the story progression should be more fluid and depend less on the player breathing in a new zone and loving off to do enough of some random NPC's fetch quests or optional roulettes/dungeons (that makes them slightly less optional). I don't think anything of value would be lost if they increased MSQ and job quest XP as well as dungeon XP enough so the first job could get through the MSQ with less to no "optional" content and no XP bonuses (or reduce the required XP per level accordingly, but then you're accelerating alt jobs' leveling and we can't have that).

However, as long as the game is not structured like that, you can easily outlevel the MSQ even without random FedEx quests by just doing low level roulette a couple of times. Once you unlock dailies and other roulette it's not really an issue anymore.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Choyi posted:

My sets are color coded too, blue for tank, red for dps and green for healer, since that's the colors the roles have in the party icons :D
Exception being that ranged dps is pink and casters are purple, because i figured they wear different stuff and well are different from melee.

I based it off the gem colors used for stats in 2.0, kind of.

Crafting = Slate Grey
Gathering = Russet Brown
Fending = Honey Yellow
Maiming = Pumpkin Orange
Striking = Dalamud Red
Scouting = Rolanberry Red (kind of halfway between red and purple)
Aiming = Regal Purple
Casting = Royal Blue
Healing = Hunter Green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Nessus posted:

I disagree with you in general because the story, even in ARR, has numerous rest breaks and points where you're in a new area, and I don't think it's unreasonable for the game to assume you are at least looking around a little rather than grimly chugging literally every aspect of the experience so you can hit 70 and do Eureka.

However there is that complete lull between 47 and 50 and there I agree with you completely.

It's just a poor excuse for bad pacing. You can have rest breaks without the game enforcing them through leveling gaps, which generally have to be compensated for with side quests or roulettes, not exactly resting. A rest break is when an NPC tells you the job is done and you can rest now, so you can shut down the game and resume the next day without busywork if you don't want to.