Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I can't think of a two-stage mission in a strategy game where the 'two stage' bit didn't just add pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wasn’t there a thing where there was gonna be a two-stage mission so that you had to conserve ammo in the first stage, or was that just in Phrosphor’s manually staged campaign LP?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
1 Contract = 1 Mission in the game. Phrosphor pulled that off by actually modifying the game files for his Mechs so their status in terms of damage and ammo would carry over.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Q_res posted:

1 Contract = 1 Mission in the game. Phrosphor pulled that off by actually modifying the game files for his Mechs so their status in terms of damage and ammo would carry over.

Got it, that was my confusion then.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eej posted:

I am concerned to discover that there was such a thing as competitive MW4

There was! I played it when I was a mere teenager. I was in some clan that I don't even remember the name of but was super duper nerdy and demanded people use designated callsigns and organized people into specific lances that had specific intended battlefield roles because the league we were in involved tonnage and number limits for battles. I was in the heavy fire support lance so our lance was something like a Loki(me, for BAP/ECM), 2 Catapults, and a Vulture, since this was before the mech paks or the expansions.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

There was! I played it when I was a mere teenager. I was in some clan that I don't even remember the name of but was super duper nerdy and demanded people use designated callsigns and organized people into specific lances that had specific intended battlefield roles because the league we were in involved tonnage and number limits for battles. I was in the heavy fire support lance so our lance was something like a Loki(me, for BAP/ECM), 2 Catapults, and a Vulture, since this was before the mech paks or the expansions.

I'm guessing either early Net BattleTech (I was part of the Wolfs Dragoons who became Ghost Bear Dominion with a poo poo ton of dumb nerdy callsigns and poo poo, which generally just devolved into "fuckit, let's just win this game and shoot robots dammit"), or possibly the other one. MP3 leagues or somesuch, which ignored most of the clan name, setting bullshit and just did a bunch of dudes playing robots in a league and shooting each other using random crap from the MekTek mech packs (mech paks?) - maybe the stuff involving the mech paks got added after you played it. I don't remember many other leagues than those two.

For my part, I preferred using IS tech over the clan tech, as clan mechs had all their poo poo in the arms, pretty much all the time, and arms tended to get blown off pretty quick, while IS tech had guns pretty much wherever, so while the tech had shorter ranges, the mechs were a little more survivable in terms of having guns that last longer than half a battle.

Legging was also a thing. People who legged generally got poo poo on for hitting on the obvious tactic of "blow their loving legs off and they slow down and/or die" rather than the ~super honourable~ method of "shoot the CT - aka the most heavily protected bit of the mech". Also, lots of bitching whenever someone blew off another dude's head (so basically, the same poo poo as in any other online shooter then). Honestly, I'm pretty sure just shooting the legs off poo poo will still get a lot of bitching and moaning in MWO today if you did it, except that the sheer amount of firepower on the battlefield now means that you may as well just shoot the CT anyway, for all the difference it makes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

I'd like the mechs to be actually sane sizes so that assaults aren't literally 50 feet tall or whatever, I don't know much about 3D modeling so I don't know how difficult it would be to fix.

But.. the biggest assaults really are literally 50 feet tall.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Oh god, I am having flashbacks of being called a dirty loving legger playing Battletech on AOL back in the day.

People got soooooo drat mad if you legged them. It only encouraged me to do it more.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I remember when I tried playing MW4 online and got confused about certain dudes always being in my match, like Prom King. Then I found out that they were bots :downs:

Raged posted:

Oh god, I am having flashbacks of being called a dirty loving legger playing Battletech on AOL back in the day.

People got soooooo drat mad if you legged them. It only encouraged me to do it more.
Great name + post combo :golfclap:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I think the general consensus in the grognard community is that they don't want a linear campaign with a story. They just want a sandbox to larp their mary-sue wolf's dragoons merc unit in.

Hello yes, this is me

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

8 days everyone! 8 days!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kanos posted:

There was! I played it when I was a mere teenager.

Woah same. I remember playing in this back in high school.

I was in Hell's Horses and all I remember is that we were dirt loving poor and couldn't do much because of it.

e: I was actually introduced to SA from a bunch of nerds from NBT

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
By dumb luck I took off from work on the 24th to have a staycation.

I guess I know what I'm doing on that day.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Renegret posted:

Woah same. I remember playing in this back in high school.

I was in Hell's Horses and all I remember is that we were dirt loving poor and couldn't do much because of it.

e: I was actually introduced to SA from a bunch of nerds from NBT

I may have played with you a lot back then... I remember my group was pretty good friends with Hell's Horses and we scrimmaged a lot. Sad part is I can't remember what group I was in.
This was back when Goatsee was a thing and I put it on my mech as my emblem.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I rarely get excited for games anymore but I'm pretty excited about this y'all

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nope, not me, not excited at all

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KillianLett posted:

I may have played with you a lot back then... I remember my group was pretty good friends with Hell's Horses and we scrimmaged a lot. Sad part is I can't remember what group I was in.
This was back when Goatsee was a thing and I put it on my mech as my emblem.

We think we fought Marian Hegemony most of the time because it was the only group we shared a border with that was equally poor and unskilled. When I joined, we were in the process of planning a planet drop on MH, and it was a huge deal when we finally launched after weeks of preparation. We got beat back during the opening phases and the whole thing was over in a half hour. IIRC the beatdown was so extreme it left us so poor and broke I think the admins had to step in and give us some free stuff just to stay afloat.

Still, I liked my clan because we had great leadership. They emphasized having fun and giving everyone an equal chance. I was a dumb lovely 15 year old but they still let me have a fair chance piloting and blowing up our expensive mechs. There were other groups in that league that were super cliquey and wouldn't let their B team pilot anything fun, and give clear favoritism to the leadership and their friends.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to those guys I used to play with.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 16, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Internet Explorer posted:

nope, not me, not excited at all
Hell, same.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
unrelated:

my favorite memory of MW2 was finding a bug that let me put negative heat sinks into a mech. Ever wondered what a 20 ton Firemoth looked like with a 100 ton engine? Throw in jump jets and I'm pretty sure you could break the speed of sound.

Only down side is that you had to turn off heat because you overheated by just existing.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Renegret posted:

We think we fought Marian Hegemony most of the time because it was the only group we shared a border with that was equally poor and unskilled. When I joined, we were in the process of planning a planet drop on MH, and it was a huge deal when we finally launched after weeks of preparation. We got beat back during the opening phases and the whole thing was over in a half hour. IIRC the beatdown was so extreme it left us so poor and broke I think the admins had to step in and give us some free stuff just to stay afloat.

Still, I liked my clan because we had great leadership. They emphasized having fun and giving everyone an equal chance. I was a dumb lovely 15 year old but they still let me have a fair chance piloting and blowing up our expensive mechs. There were other groups in that league that were super cliquey and wouldn't let their B team pilot anything fun, and give clear favoritism to the leadership and their friends.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to those guys I used to play with.

I wonder the same now and again. I remember one dude's name was Animosity, another was Gunther Calvert... that's about it.

Spent a lot of time playing with those guys.

Really looking forward to the game next week. I tried playing the beta this weekend and found it was disabled. :smith:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqtebt0DBOo I couldn’t be less excited. :psyduck:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Maybe I caught the wrong videos but the MW5 stuff I have seen made the missions look terribly boring. I watched three and they were all just about attacking very generic bases while helicopters, tanks and random mechs just wander around the map waiting for you to come over and shoot them almost like mobs in a MMO. During the missions the same audio cues about bonus objectives and destroying targets kept playing over and over to the point where it was starting to annoy me, the viewer, so I can't imagine it is less annoying for a player hearing it for multiple missions in a row.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Garbage. Absolute garbage.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Space Skeleton posted:

Maybe I caught the wrong videos but the MW5 stuff I have seen made the missions look terribly boring. I watched three and they were all just about attacking very generic bases while helicopters, tanks and random mechs just wander around the map waiting for you to come over and shoot them almost like mobs in a MMO. During the missions the same audio cues about bonus objectives and destroying targets kept playing over and over to the point where it was starting to annoy me, the viewer, so I can't imagine it is less annoying for a player hearing it for multiple missions in a row.

So the thing about procgen is that either your core gameplay is so fun and compelling that being able to provide infinite context is more important than being able to provide quality context, or you've just ruined your game. XCOM2 and Shadow of War both get away with procgenning content because a combat encounter is fun in any context with those games.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Well the helicopters crashing into buildings look better than MW5's helicopters crashing into buildings.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Who cut this trailer? Mechwarrior's core concept is giant robots shooting the poo poo out of each other so they decide to cut a trailer with none of that happening(besides a half second clip of an Atlas's arm blowing off) and instead a bunch of random modern-looking MBTs and attack helicopters having stock explosions to a loving bad metal 1812 overture?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
PGI cut this trailer.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I love the 1 frame switch from intact to destroyed models with the explosions not covering the transition up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's 2018 and mechs still have their arms pinned to their sides bent at a stiff 90 degrees.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

A.o.D. posted:

It's 2018 and mechs still have their arms pinned to their sides bent at a stiff 90 degrees.

Always at the ready for robo hugs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Look, animation is expensive, okay?!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

DatonKallandor posted:

I love the 1 frame switch from intact to destroyed models with the explosions not covering the transition up.

Intermediate frames are lostech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

Mechwarrior's core concept is giant robots shooting the poo poo out of each other so they decide to cut a trailer with none of that happening?

They can't show the 'Mech fights because then you'd see that the AI is programmed to chase the player relentlessly to the exclusion of all other factors, even if it means ramming face first into the nearest building (like the JagerMech at 0:30)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It seems weird that they couldn't show a relatively open area with a bunch of mechs shooting eachother for a few seconds. mwo handles that no problem so I'd expect something as basic as mech vs mech combat should be achievable in the unreal mw5 engine.

I was moderately optimistic I'd be able to at least shoot some AI controlled mechs in a single player game, basically my only standard for a Mechwarrior game, but the trailers are eroding that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe we'll get to play as the crane operator that gets to drunkenly swing mechs around like a wrecking ball for DFAs like in the trailer.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

They can't show the 'Mech fights because then you'd see that the AI is programmed to chase the player relentlessly to the exclusion of all other factors, even if it means ramming face first into the nearest building (like the JagerMech at 0:30)

Things yet to be displayed so far in MW5s single player experience: any kind of AI mech control whatosever.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Voyager I posted:

Things yet to be displayed so far in MW5s single player experience: any kind of AI mech control whatosever.

In my short quest to figure out how the game actually plays that was something noted in some of the early look reviews, that the AI is was very poor in the builds they got to play.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What was the Battletech product that first introduced the clans?

What is the current year?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Baron Porkface posted:

What was the Battletech product that first introduced the clans?

What is the current year?

That would be Wolves on the Border, 1989, although the full import of the Dragoons' Clan-isms wouldn't be readily apparent until the first book of the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy released in (gasp) also 1989

Mechwarrior 2 (1995), the game that introduced most people to the Clans, actually centered on the Refusal War which happened in 3057, a full five years after the end of the Clan invasion.

The "current year" in HBS BattleTech is 3015 IIRC, and is set on the opposite end of the Inner Sphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I thought 3015 was Mechwarrior 5 and HBS Btech is ~3025ish? skirting around the issue of the timeline advancing by never directly mentioning the year and only showing time passing in number of weeks since the start.