Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That owns. The "players can challenge the GM" bit almost reminds me of Syynibar, although it probably works completely differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SPEHHS MAREENS

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

SPEHHS MAREENS

I backed it. Maybe it will be worth flipping? I might cancel at the last minute.

I think I'm all-in on Dinosaur Island, though. The mechanics seem fun enough, and my group of friends are split between "ultra competitive" and "not competitive at all", so I'm kinda hoping the solo-park building will work well with both groups of people.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Uggh, I want to back that stupid thing, but is the first physical tier really $100? The entire point of buying garbage games is having an incredibly weird physical object to marvel at/show friends/read on the can/etc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I miiiiight get the 2 player version of Dinosaur Island. That’s a good price point, and I can still be in.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Mors Rattus posted:

quote:

•Note: In Syystem Space Merinces are the Paladin Class: and you learn that the YY have a special meaning. They are pronounced with an E sound. Syystem is also a sister game of our first game Myythic. At level 6 Myythic Paladins get Wings, which is why Space Merinces have Combat wings for gear.

Hey meester -- want to play with my seestem?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

atholbrose posted:

Hey meester -- want to play with my seestem?

You know our game Methic? Sestem is based on Methic, so if you're already a Meth-head you'll love it!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Calico Heart posted:

The Syystem people did a Q&A on RPGnet's IRC last night. I hopped in and everyone congratulated me on the Kickstarter and I stuck around for their Q&A to be polite.

They seemed very, very genuine

E: ALSO it looks like we're getting funded on my part! Thanks so much to all the goons that contributed. Feel free to send me a message on Kickstarter if you got any questions or comments.
Hey congrats! And also I'm legitimately kinda glad they're genuine 'cuz like hell yeah it's some dumb weird homebrew poo poo, put it out there in the aether.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

quote:

Syystem is a new Role-playing game set in a world where the laws of physics - for that matter, everything - is breaking down. Laws, religion, marriage, computers operating systems, all of it is now working incorrectly.
Uhhhh, marriage is breaking down? What?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok you miscast the spell and ... :rolldice:
marriage is now between one person and one appliance.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You might even say that Syystems...*puts on sunglasses*...need to be Fyxt.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You might even say that Syystems...*puts on sunglasses*...need to be Fyxt.

:vince:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
One complaint I read about Dinosaur Island is that every game ends rather abruptly and with often a lack of satisfaction. Can anyone corroborate that?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

kaujot posted:

One complaint I read about Dinosaur Island is that every game ends rather abruptly and with often a lack of satisfaction. Can anyone corroborate that?

I'd have thought that maybe after my first game or two but I'd also have attributed that to still learning the game and not being able to focus on my own strategies as well as pay attention to what other were doing, to effectively know when someone was going to trigger the end game (via completion of public objectives). I've played the game 5 or 6 times now and am much more comfortable being able to evaluate where players are going strategy-wise, approximately how many turns they might need to accomplish specific objectives (and what variables might affect their ability to do so, etc). That said, it didn't take us long to agree that while the idea of variable gameplay length goals is a neat idea in theory, we only ever play with the "Long Game" cards, because the others, even the "Medium Game" cards, felt very easily attainable, and COULD lead to a very short game overall where players didn't feel like they accomplish much. But that's more of an issue of the whole experience feeling less satisfying, and not so much an "abrupt ending" per se.

Short version: I don't see that as an issue once you know the game well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah I wouldn't play with the short game except to learn the rules.

kaujot posted:

I haven't played it that much but it seemed to have a fairly standard Euro ending. Not much actual fanfare but you could see it coming once you know the game.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
Myy name is Bill S. Preston, Esq.!

And I am Ted "Theodore" Logan!

And together we are...

WYYLD STALLYYNS!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Games > Traditional Games > TG Kickstarter Thread 3: Zanyy Crowdfunding Fun!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

JazzFlight posted:

Uhhhh, marriage is breaking down? What?
Alright I immediately retract my compliments.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I accidentally backed at the full game and the two player version level of Dinosaur Island. Did I make a mistake?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I doubt it? But idk, maybe if you don't like WP games, or bright colors, then yes?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Honestly the bright colours and theme are what draw me in. I just wonder if the full game and the two player are different enough to justify, considering the full game is apparently quite two player friendly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly the bright colours and theme are what draw me in. I just wonder if the full game and the two player are different enough to justify, considering the full game is apparently quite two player friendly.

The base game is two player friendly because there is minimal interaction and so it doesn't really change at different player counts.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

From what I've heard of Dinosaur Island, the game is competent and quite thematic, but low-interaction and really not all that mechanically interesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In your park you can have a hamburger stand. It’s called ‘Clever Grill’. :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

In your park you can have a hamburger stand. It’s called ‘Clever Grill’. :colbert:

Oh yeah it does a great job with the theme.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Anyone here have any experience with City of Kings? The reprint is on KS and I'm curious as to what folks think.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The_Doctor posted:

poo poo why didn’t you post that when the KS was live? :argh:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Memnaelar posted:

Anyone here have any experience with City of Kings? The reprint is on KS and I'm curious as to what folks think.
I had passed on it during its first campaign and regretted it when I saw youtube runthroughs recently, but then I watched Tom Vasel's review and he seemed to think it was too random and themeless for the enemy generation. He also pointed out that it kind of mixes a thinky puzzler like Mage Knight or Gloomhaven with too much randomness so you can't really plan out your moves like those other games. He mentioned that the different characters were too similar feeling, as well.

I'm always on the lookout for solo RPG experiences like this, but after seeing that review, it exposed a few flaws that I'll have to consider before the end of this second campaign.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Memnaelar posted:

I have a copy on the way, should be here by the middle of next week. I'll let you know before the campaign ends.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I got really taken by Lifeform after watching the Ricky Royal playthrough of the solo version and then watching the multiplayer playthrough on the KS site. If anyone's wondering, it's essentially Alien meets Fury of Dracula but inverted. It's a bluffing/hidden location game with the crew having hidden objectives to meet before they flee a thinly-veiled Nostromo and an Alien running around the ship killing crew members before they can accomplish those objectives. There's a timer mechanism (ala the Self -Destruct countdown) and depending on how the game is wrapped, the crew can either escape the ship by shuttle with no alien in tow or with the alien in tow, the latter culminating in an Eldritch Horror-ish final showdown.

I'm really quite taken by it, especially since, unlike most other sci-fi horror games of the sort, it's far more Alien than Aliens. It's got 9 days left and I'm unabashedly plugging it because I'd love for a few more stretch goals to be reached. Give it a look if that at all interests you.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

I got really taken by Lifeform after watching the Ricky Royal playthrough of the solo version and then watching the multiplayer playthrough on the KS site. If anyone's wondering, it's essentially Alien meets Fury of Dracula but inverted. It's a bluffing/hidden location game with the crew having hidden objectives to meet before they flee a thinly-veiled Nostromo and an Alien running around the ship killing crew members before they can accomplish those objectives. There's a timer mechanism (ala the Self -Destruct countdown) and depending on how the game is wrapped, the crew can either escape the ship by shuttle with no alien in tow or with the alien in tow, the latter culminating in an Eldritch Horror-ish final showdown.

I'm really quite taken by it, especially since, unlike most other sci-fi horror games of the sort, it's far more Alien than Aliens. It's got 9 days left and I'm unabashedly plugging it because I'd love for a few more stretch goals to be reached. Give it a look if that at all interests you.

I'm on the fence about it right now, but I should check out the videos. I'm mainly on the fence because there were somehow three alien themed survival horror co-op games announced this year, and I'm thinking about just waiting until all three are at retail to see which one turns out to be the best. The three are:

Nemesis (minis heavy, probably going to end up style over substance)
Alien: Nostromo (has accusations of plagiarism)
Lifeform (looks the most promising imo)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space does pretty good Alien style horror.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Henker posted:

I'm on the fence about it right now, but I should check out the videos. I'm mainly on the fence because there were somehow three alien themed survival horror co-op games announced this year, and I'm thinking about just waiting until all three are at retail to see which one turns out to be the best. The three are:

Alien: Nostromo (has accusations of plagiarism)
Lifeform (looks the most promising imo)

I sincerely doubt you'll see Lifeform at retail, at least in any sort of wide release. I've certainly never seen their last release, Gloom of Kilforth, at a retail store.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Henker posted:

We played a review copy with 3 people and the 2 other people I played with cut their pledges down to $1 if that tells you anything.

It feels super random.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

poo poo why didn’t you post that when the KS was live? :argh:

I did!

I didn’t know about Lifeform, and that looks hella more interesting than the Alien: Nostromo. The downside is that the Alien preorder is hella cheaper than Lifeform.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The_Doctor posted:

I did!

I didn’t know about Lifeform, and that looks hella more interesting than the Alien: Nostromo. The downside is that the Alien preorder is hella cheaper than Lifeform.

Guess I missed it. :(

Yeah the Alien:Nostromo game has practically no details about it at all. I think I’d need to see a little more of it. The play through of Lifeform looked neat and the addition of solo mode is what sold me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Lifeform does look neat. Good board style, and the (solo) playthrough I watched (with lovely prototype components) wasn't bad.

How is Maximum Apocalypse? Anyone going for it?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

How is Maximum Apocalypse? Anyone going for it?

I was in for the core game. Great game with randomly placed tiles; you're in an apocalyptic wasteland trying to fulfill different missions against different enemies.

The base game (and stretch goals) had different enemies (they call them apocalypses) as each set of missions will be geared towards different apocalypse.

My main gripe was that the player mat is literally that, and it wasn't really communicated well. If you get one, you'll probably end up wanting to get 4 unless you want one person to enjoy a mat while everyone else just has bare table.

Additionally, my other gripe was that the box that it comes in was a little bit packed, and with the expansion comes, I'll end up having to walk around with two boxes.

Game plays pretty fast and great; it's a co-op game so there's a lot that you can talk out as you go around revealing tiles and doing objectives.

Additionally, you get a lot for the money with the upgraded tokens and high quality cards/tiles.

I went in on day 1 for the expansion kickstarter. I had some missing promos and I messaged the guy on kickstarter (and then later, email); he was extremely helpful and was super fast with replacements. I was really happy with everything aside from the two gripes I mentioned.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

My flat mate has created a Kickstarter for a new game he hopes to get out into the world.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exploriana/exploriana-a-game-of-exploration-and-discovery/description

The game is Exploriana, a push your luck game played over 4 rounds.

I would be appreciated if you could take a look, have any comments you would like me to pass over to him or questions about the game.

And in case you are wondering, my flat mate is the one with the epic moustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For a UK-based KS, having the UK shipping be double the price of the US is a bit of a kick in the balls.