Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Bardeh posted:

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/987765785400573953

Is that really the sound of people shooting at a drone? I mean, there are two narratives right now, of a drone and a coup (reading the reddit thread on it is strange because there are people pushing both, but the coup narrative seems to have a ton of links that don't really confirm poo poo) but that seems wildly excessive for a drone.

The drone explanation seems like pure bullshit.

Either it would be a military drone, which you would shoot down with real anti-air missiles or the kind of commercial drone people shoot them down with shotguns all the time in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm still leaning toward thinking if something big had gone down we'd have more than a handful of short videos with background fire. So far everyone putting out alternative theories seems to be either guessing or lying about their sources. Maybe someone took a shot at a royal or something, but I'd be surprised (which isn't to say it's impossible) if there was an organized coup attempt given how little we've heard so far.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I'm still leaning toward thinking if something big had gone down we'd have more than a handful of short videos with background fire. So far everyone putting out alternative theories seems to be either guessing or lying about their sources. Maybe someone took a shot at a royal or something, but I'd be surprised (which isn't to say it's impossible) if there was an organized coup attempt given how little we've heard so far.

Or maybe one of the Princelings who didn't get hauled in for torture last time added some additional security and "someone" tried to blackbag him.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
we finally have some info

https://twitter.com/50degreesam/status/987835612333006848

:v:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Coup is the more interesting theory, but it could also be that the palace guards are kinda bad at shooting down drones and needed to spend a couple hundredthousand rounds.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Literally forgot there’s still a king and not just MBS plus an orb.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So has MBS.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

This is... glorious.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

This video... hard to tell if it's because the person shooting video is moving away or not, but might that flashing red light that comes into shot be a small toy drone as is being reported, or is it a light on a pole..? Opinions?

Edit: report re drone in WaPo

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/987819055129284608

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 22, 2018

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

The rebels probably weren't using those tanks because they would be instantly bombed by the Russian Air Force the instant someone drove them out of the garage. The last time I saw a video of rebels using a tank it was completely covered in plants and firing from a grove of trees.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Did they seize the magical orb.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Joke's on them if they did, the orb is cursed to turn anyone who touches it into an incompetent dipshit.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Joke's on them if they did, the orb is cursed to turn anyone who touches it into an incompetent dipshit.

>Implying that Donald Trump was competent or smart before 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gen. Ripper posted:

>Implying that Donald Trump was competent or smart before 2017

Not exactly, since it's Trump's touch that cursed the Orb in the first place.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Honestly thats like coup 101

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/weddady/status/987864225216368640

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The shooting could be some crazy thing, but the drone explanation is very believable. It's dark, commercial drones are small, and they often have a lot of empty space where a round can pass through and not actually down it. And presumably the palace guards aren't loaded up with birdshot, but instead with rifles and handguns for killing people, so it's not like they had the best armaments.

Here's a video of a bunch of people with machine guns shooting at RC planes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR5BtXP0s0o&t=110s

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

The drone explanation seems like pure bullshit.

Either it would be a military drone, which you would shoot down with real anti-air missiles or the kind of commercial drone people shoot them down with shotguns all the time in the states.

Drone explanation is completely plausible since 1. Off the shelf drones can easily be used to deliver deadly ordinance or spy on people, both of which seem like very plausible threats to a princeling such as MBS. 2. It was dead in the night and their aim will be poo poo. Also, since you are MBS you care not for stray bullets killing your neighboring citizens.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Dannymakkisyria/status/988085118475567105

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Cool, it's maybe half a battalion's worth of equipment?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Half a battalion's worth of equipment, a good portion of which probably doesn't work.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Cool, it's maybe half a battalion's worth of equipment?

That's a pretty big deal in Syria

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

That's a pretty big deal in Syria

The government is probably offering deals for rebels to surrender and is probably even looking to honor them, in order to encourage further surrenders. They can probably win through military power, but doing so will cost alot of money that they could save by offering and accepting more or less generous surrender terms. So I guess that's what they're doing.

A few weeks ago I saw (did not read) some article about Putin declaring ISIS officially defeated. What is ISIS's situation now, do they still hold any defensible territory? Did the Syrians (and Russians) ever inflict a serious defeat on them, seems to me that all the worst blows came from YPG (supported by the US), and the Iraqi army and militias (supported by the US), but that most of the rare times when the SAA attacked ISIS it was quickly followed up by a counterattack inflicting a humiliating reversal.

Also what's the state of Iraq now? Seems to be that following the recapture of Mosul that their military might have actually come some way towards being a semi-competent force, and not one where two entire divisions (+ police and paramilitaries) are routed by ~1500 jihadists. They also acted somewhat decisively, moving in to secure areas and disarm Peshmerga, when Barzani made his move last year. Am I right in any of this?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 23, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Also what's the state of Iraq now? Seems to be that following the recapture of Mosul that their military might have actually come some way towards being a semi-competent force, and not one where two entire divisions (+ police and paramilitaries) are routed by ~1500 jihadists. They also acted somewhat decisively, moving in to secure areas and disarm Peshmerga, when Barzani made his move last year. Am I right in any of this?

Their military is probably in better shape, but the state overall is very dicey. Large forces are pulling it apart. The US and Iran have the most influence there (with KSA trying to get in too) and if relations get worse Iraq could suffer for it. There's also figures like Sadr who have significant influence despite not being part of the government. I don't think it will be stable in the foreseeable future, and will end up being a proxy battleground between Iran and its enemies.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/988388696813719553?s=19

Yemen continues to suffer.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'll be waiting here for the "well we have to bomb them, what else can we do" strategy to be applied to the Saudi-Yemen war

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

self unaware posted:

I'll be waiting here for the "well we have to bomb them, what else can we do" strategy to be applied to the Saudi-Yemen war

Do you have a better idea? Not advocating bombing them but are there any options which don't involve bombing them???

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Investigating". It's obvious the Saudis did it. Stop linking Russian propaganda articles.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

OctaMurk posted:

Do you have a better idea? Not advocating bombing them but are there any options which don't involve bombing them???

Maybe... don't bomb them?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jagged Jim posted:

Maybe... don't bomb them?

You're crazy.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
something tells me the military intervention on humanitarian grounds crowd, for some reason, won't advocate military intervention on behalf of the yemenis

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

self unaware posted:

something tells me the military intervention on humanitarian grounds crowd, for some reason, won't advocate military intervention on behalf of the yemenis
#bombtheorb

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fame Douglas posted:

"Investigating". It's obvious the Saudis did it. Stop linking Russian propaganda articles.

Investigating why the body count was so low.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

self unaware posted:

Now calling for military intervention against Saudi Arabia, a US ally, any takers?

Also, I'm calling you out, you don't give a poo poo about people in Yemen. In fact you are happy that they are suffering because it gives you the opportunity to do cheap whatabouts.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

You can probably blame US intelligence for this one.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Randarkman posted:

Also, I'm calling you out, you don't give a poo poo about people in Yemen. In fact you are happy that they are suffering because it gives you the opportunity to do cheap whatabouts.

It exposes the hypocrisy of people who argue for intervention on humanitarian grounds. We should intervene in Yemen, by cutting off diplomatic ties with Saudi Arabia and ending our military support.

Real classy accusing the non-interventionist of "not giving a poo poo" about the victims of our global empire.

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 23, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Weirdest news of the day is definitely Reza Shah's mummy being found in Tehran during construction excavation in the city. His tomb was destroyed during the revolution in '79 and the body was never found. Everything to do with the Shah's is illegal and there's rumors that Khamenei and some hardliners are pushing for the body to be destroyed. The surviving Pahlavi took to Twitter to demand transparency from the regime and there's reports of protests being planned in the event of the body being destroyed, which wouldn't surprise me a bit with how much support there was for pro-Shah talking points during the last major protests. If something happens I demand it be called the mummy riots.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wait, is the body (it? he? I don't know what the proper pronoun is for dead Iranian royalty) an actual Egypt-style specially-prepared mummy or is it just an ordinary dried and desiccated corpse?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not an actual mummy, although he was embalmed in Cairo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, is the body (it? he? I don't know what the proper pronoun is for dead Iranian royalty) an actual Egypt-style specially-prepared mummy or is it just an ordinary dried and desiccated corpse?

Maybe we all just misunderstood and it was actually the remains of Tadj ol-Molouk that was found. :v: