Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Does the increase in accuracy per gunnery level seem low to anyone? 2.5% looks a little underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was thinking of a rat-based name for my unit as well, but I'm a sucker for alliteration- was gonna go with the Verminous Vanguard.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://clips.twitch.tv/DignifiedVivaciousZucchiniKreygasm

:allears:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

You got me beaten where it counts, Galaga Galaxian! :argh:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Can someone explain to me what happened here?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Rookersh posted:

So if I wanted my character to be a space faschist type, but like service guarantees citizenship/technically not total dicks do I go space China or space Germany. Like I want to be an honorable duck.

Space Germany seems kind of a hot mess barely held together. Space China deems closer to what I want, but do they tend to be super dicks? What's your average chummer going to think about my guy being space Chinese.

Everyone is a total dick in battletech. Everyone.

Those guys who claim to not be total dicks? They're the biggest dicks of them all.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can someone explain to me what happened here?

Support-class weapons fire automatically after a melee attack. PTN's Vindicator had a Small Laser, a support weapon, equipped. It punched and missed, but the Small Laser fired right into the enemy mech's center torso and did enough damage to kill it anyway!

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

SirFozzie posted:

HG Licenses anime rights to three anime series, creates "Robotech" from the three series.

FASA Creates Battletech, licenses the images of certain mechs from the Anime series from someone in Japan. They get a licensed cartoon, which HG says infringes on their rights

HG throws a poo poo fit, despite questionable legal rights, sues FASA. This basically threatens to drag the company down just from legal expenses,FASA says "We'll sign something just to make you go away."

FASA and its later owners, WizKids/Catalyst redraw the mechs, or just use the outline. The mechs in question are referred to as the Unseen.

MechWarrior Online starts up, and they redraw the mechs, they're referred to as the "Reseen".

HG: sees that people are making money off Battletech again, and wants to rerun their strategy, they say "That's all infringing on our rights", hoping to get a payment to go away. (Mostly because all their attempts to monetize it has failed miserably).

Catalyst/MWO/HBS say "Uh, we redrew them so they don't really look like yours anymore.. and besides, your legal rights are.. questionable"

HG: WE OWN ALL GIANT ROBITS! PAY US NOW! WE SUES YOU.

HBS has gotten out of the suit, as HG has dismissed the lawsuit with prejudice (meaning they can't bring the claims again). They're still trying to sue Catalyst/MWO..

So, until the lawsuits grind to an end, the Unseen/Reseen Mechs are not in Battletech.

This is close to being accurate but is missing a few things. HG actually lost a lawsuit in Japan a couple of years ago against Blue Studios(?) and it was ruled that the company who sold them the rights in the first place never had the power to do so. The dismissal against HBS came because HG was "uh let me get some things faxed from japan" and the judge was like "Why? It's already been ruled". Getting it dismissed with prejudice is a really good thing, it weakens HG's claim of legitimacy by a lot. While the PGI case is still ongoing, it looks real good for them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BattleTech posted:

The dismissal against HBS came because HG was "uh let me get some things faxed from japan" and the judge was like "Why? It's already been ruled".

This is not at all what happened, if this were the case the PGI suit would be concluded. HG agreed to drop their suit against HBS, because their claims were specious even if they had the rights. The "fax from Japan" issue still hasn't been ruled on.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Winning at MWO is exactly like winning at Eve :colbert:
Winning at eve is like watching your alliance disband another one then a few months later having your own disbanded in a giant lol parade wherein you quit the game because nothing will ever be like that rise to power and massive fall again.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Man, 300 posts just today. Things are really speeding up as we get to launch. Phrosphor, how many people are we up to in the tournament now?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's weird to have a (IS) Battletech game without a Raven in it.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://clips.twitch.tv/AuspiciousTenaciousFungusBigBrother

Rip Beagle's campaign.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Man, 300 posts just today. Things are really speeding up as we get to launch. Phrosphor, how many people are we up to in the tournament now?

36 Right now, I might have some Cool New News regarding the tournament shortly.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I have never played a Battletech outside of Mechwarrior 2 long ago, but super stoked for this and to humiliate myself in the tournament.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Roobanguy posted:

imma name them the Corpse Brigade.

:waycool:

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Weissritter posted:

Does the increase in accuracy per gunnery level seem low to anyone? 2.5% looks a little underwhelming.

the thing is...

Ok, here's how gunnery works, since I realized I've never explained it.

You have a base chance to hit under ideal conditions, which is a constant (I think it's 65%? might be 70%) + (2.5% x Gunnery).

That is the absolute best possible shot you can ever have. That's if all conditions are perfect for your shot.

Everything that makes your shot harder is a penalty (generally -5%). Everything that makes your shot easier reduces that penalty. But here's the critical bit: stuff that makes your shot easier can't ever increase your base chance to hit. So even if you manage to accumulate all the bonuses in the game, they can't do anything except negate penalties. Like, for instance, laser weapons have an accuracy bonus. Arm-mounted weapons also have an accuracy bonus. An arm mounted laser has a really big accuracy bonus. And if conditions for your shot are already ideal, those bonuses do nothing. They can cancel penalties. That's it.

The only way in the whole game to increase your chance to hit above the base is to get more Gunnery skill.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I placed my preorder today on Steam and have the game preloaded. What time will I be able to play it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Caros posted:

To paraphrase MechCommander 2: Ah, the Gauss Rifle. When you absolutely, positively have to take that Atlas' head clean off in one shot. I love my job.

Really surprised that much lostech made it into the game, but I'm super happy about all the extra variety

I wonder if discovering it will be a story mission, or if you just have a random chance to stumble on a Star League Cache while out tooling around.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

I wonder if discovering it will be a story mission, or if you just have a random chance to stumble on a Star League Cache while out tooling around.

My guess is that it has to do with the locked data on the Argo, that it'll lead to you a star league cache/manufacturing facility at some point in the game.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Basically anything. It's usually either NAME NOUN (Burr's Black Cobras, Storm's Metal Thunder, Ace Darwin's Whipits, Carson's Renegades) or RANDOM COOL THING (Dismal Disinherited, Fighting Urukhai, Stalwart Support, Kraken Unleashed). Some use actual military-eque names (7th Hell's Brigade, 32nd Recon Combat Group, 51st Dark Panzer Jaegers, 4th Illcian Lancers), but those are mostly descended from actual units that went rogue/merc.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:Mercenary_Commands

:thunk: Darwin's Armpits...

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

isildur posted:

the thing is...

You have a base chance to hit under ideal conditions, which is a constant (I think it's 65%? might be 70%) + (2.5% x Gunnery).

That is the absolute best possible shot you can ever have. That's if all conditions are perfect for your shot.

Everything that makes your shot harder is a penalty (generally -5%). Everything that makes your shot easier reduces that penalty. But here's the critical bit: stuff that makes your shot easier can't ever increase your base chance to hit. So even if you manage to accumulate all the bonuses in the game, they can't do anything except negate penalties. Like, for instance, laser weapons have an accuracy bonus. Arm-mounted weapons also have an accuracy bonus. An arm mounted laser has a really big accuracy bonus. And if conditions for your shot are already ideal, those bonuses do nothing. They can cancel penalties. That's it.

The only way in the whole game to increase your chance to hit above the base is to get more Gunnery skill.

I was wondering about that as well. I also have a question, if you don't mind: how does Gunnery interact with indirect fire penalties? I know Tactics reduces them, but is that the only way? Like, if a mech gets lots of Gunnery but no Tactics, does their indirect accuracy still improve (due to improvement in base accuracy)? I figure that's the case, so you'd want both on an LRM boat.

Also, great work! :allears:

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Not sure; I'd need to ask Ryan. For a while we had indirect fire just Gunnery-based, but I asked for it to move to Tactics. As far as I know, it's 100% governed by Tactics now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

So what's the normal naming scheme for merc companies in Battletech? Trying to figure out if my standby of 'Gutter Rats' is going to work :v:

Traditionally speaking you have two routes.

1) Are you, the leader, enough of a badass where your very name will make other armies go 'oh poo poo THEY'RE here?' Then you're gonna wanna use your name in there, such as The Kell Hounds or Bannson's Raiders.

2) Are you, the leader, around a lot of booze? Then get drunk and pick whatever sounds cool, write it down and demand your second in command make it official before you sober up. See: Cardinal Sins or The Plague Boys and their dear dear friends The Shady Ladies.

Regardless of your choice, remember, you'll never be as cool as The Golden Boys

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What actually happens here, campaign wise? Do you just keep going?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FunkMonkey posted:

Everyone is a total dick in battletech. Everyone.

Those guys who claim to not be total dicks? They're the biggest dicks of them all.

The Free Worlds League are actually a quite decent place up until your garbage little sub-state gets invaded by a more powerful neighbor and the League government is incapable of doing anything about it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NmareBfly posted:

Your pilot is immortal, but they're in space hospital for a long time. Every other pilot is dead and gone.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NmareBfly posted:

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY FOOT

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What sort of cruel god doesn't launch Battletech at 9pm pacific time tonight? Why the wait until 9am tomorrow morning? :qq: :qq: :qq:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

sebmojo posted:

Your pilot is immortal, but they're in space hospital for a long time. Every other pilot is dead and gone.

I think someone mentioned a hidden %to live when taking a fatal injury stat for non-player pilots, governed by Guts. Like dying is 90% - (Guts x 5%)? It may not have even been on this forum, I don't remember where I saw it.

isildur posted:

Not sure; I'd need to ask Ryan. For a while we had indirect fire just Gunnery-based, but I asked for it to move to Tactics. As far as I know, it's 100% governed by Tactics now.

That's cool, thanks anyway! I'll probably experiment in-game to see what happens. I guess it makes sense that Gunnery wouldn't be involved, at least from a balance perspective; you don't want indirect fire to be just as good as direct fire at any point, since it's far less riskier.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Eh, nothing that a bottle of Tylenol won't fix.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Thank you HBS for launching this at 1AM the morning of a public holiday here in Australia :hellyeah:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

sebmojo posted:

In this case he's in the medbay for 120 days.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Tournament thread posted here!

Prizes! Over 40 entrants so far! Check it out!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I said come in! posted:

What sort of cruel god doesn't launch Battletech at 9pm pacific time tonight? Why the wait until 9am tomorrow morning? :qq: :qq: :qq:

I'm guessing so they can have a working day to manage any :piss: tire-fires

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 24, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

sebmojo posted:

We might have to wait until the game is out - I'm guessing it's not the same result for a given choice each time, but who knows.

From reddit, free camera controls:

That, or people who have seen more than one streamer get the event/choices. I hadn't considered there's multiple possibilties per choice though! is that a thing too?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

CampingCarl posted:

It probably is worth $10 to me but I backed the kickstarter back when I was poor and there doesn't look to be a way to upgrade. I would really like the artbook and soundtrack but I would have to pay $50 to get it, I hope I am missing something.

Hey, good news, check out the Tournament Thread Phrosphor posted. You can win an upgrade to Digital Deluxe, and even if you don't win you can still buy the upgrade. That'll be a thing once the game goes live.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

That, or people who have seen more than one streamer get the event/choices. I hadn't considered there's multiple possibilties per choice though! is that a thing too?

So that first event about the loans I'm fairly sure has fixed outcomes as its your tutorial of the event system. After that I think each choice has some FTL style randomness to it but the 'use skill/trait/argo position' will give you a higher weighting to a positive outcome.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

isildur posted:

the thing is...

Ah, I see. Thank you for the explanation. That definitely makes it more attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Nice work jumping that Spider right into the middle of a lance, PTN :commissar:

i may have egged him on